Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Proton torpedoes

Shadowaus

Is there a way to be able to use the missiles on the capital ships shield generators? Every time i try to missile them it just brings up the torpedo lockon symbol even if i just tap the right mouse.

Halp!

Empty the torpedo bay. If it has shields and you have torpedoes in the tubes, you gotta use the torpedoes.

Empty the torpedo bay. If it has shields and you have torpedoes in the tubes, you gotta use the torpedoes.

I believe it's a bug. I get the torpedo lock-on even if I have none left. I have to unequip the torpedo launcher on those missions to be able to complete them.

I believe it's a bug. I get the torpedo lock-on even if I have none left. I have to unequip the torpedo launcher on those missions to be able to complete them.

Sorry to hear that. I have never witnessed this bug.

What is it that you are trying to take out that you don't want to use the torpedoes for?

the capital ships shields that take like 3-4 missiles each to kill (not the corvette's), you can tap the right mouse alot faster than it takes to lock on...

i didnt think you could? hence the 'missiles required' comment...

The top tier guns smoke those shields on low level missions. Are you talking about the Makem Te Assault? I have not tried guns on the bridge. I use torpedoes for those.

Edited by TheBBP

The top tier guns smoke those shields on low level missions. Are you talking about the Makem Te Assault? I have not tried guns on the bridge. I use torpedoes for those.

Yeah, makem te assault (for empire anyway), the capital ships with 4 shield generators on them that are mission objectives..

Also im wondering why they lock onto those shields, but not the normal corvettes shields..

One thing I see some people get confused over is this.

The proton torpedo tube has 4 torpedoes in it, 1 loaded initially, and 3 spare. After you fire 3, you still have the fourth (loaded in the launcher) even though The counter says 0. The purple torpedo icon counts as having one left.

It's like the 80 payload missile magazine. You have 80 missiles, but when you start it shows 76, with 4 loaded. If you fire 76+ missles, the counter will say 0, but you'll have 1-4 left in the launcher shown as the yellow missile icons.

To the point, on that mission, it's easier to launch a PT at one generator, fire a salvo at a different generator while the PT tube reloads and repeat. You can use the standard missiles during the reloading phase, but you'll only get 4-6 off.

Get rid of them. They're horribly implemented. I have more success without them.

I unequipped my torpedo's after trying to use them and realizing they were just making things harder.

They may have their use though... the antenna array perhaps in one mission. It just would be nice if I could easily choose to override the torpedoes and switch to missiles.

I unequipped my torpedo's after trying to use them and realizing they were just making things harder.

They may have their use though... the antenna array perhaps in one mission. It just would be nice if I could easily choose to override the torpedoes and switch to missiles.

Just gotta get some time with them. They really are not hard to use/not use. They make life a lot easier for the things that truly call for them. The shielded parts on the lower missions that don't need them can be taken out with guns easily.

This is assuming you have all top-end parts on your ship.

This is assuming you have all top-end parts on your ship.

Hehe, oh yes my ship is decked out. I can only wish my car had all those options :)

The one mission that really gives me grief with torpedoes (I can't remember the name, despite running it many, many, many times), is the one where you destroy shield generators on the capital ship. I can ping off 4 missiles nearly instantly at the shield generators, then focus my fire on the turrets (which blow up easily enough with guns) while my missiles take out the shield generator. Then repeat once 4 missiles are ready to go again. Using this method, I take out 3 out of 4 generators right at the start of the mission.

Using the torpedoes mean I have to sit there and wait for the lock, and I lose time to shoot at turrets and everything else flying around my screen. In the meantime the screen shifts around so much, I sometimes have problems keeping the target until it locks. Other times the flyby the generators is so fast, I don't have time to even get a lock, whereas I could have easily fired off 4 missiles if I could only have used them. I actually failed this mission using torpedoes. That's when I unequipped them.

Have a toggle like the Power Exchanger for shields and guns.

Hehe, oh yes my ship is decked out. I can only wish my car had all those options :)

The one mission that really gives me grief with torpedoes (I can't remember the name, despite running it many, many, many times), is the one where you destroy shield generators on the capital ship. I can ping off 4 missiles nearly instantly at the shield generators, then focus my fire on the turrets (which blow up easily enough with guns) while my missiles take out the shield generator. Then repeat once 4 missiles are ready to go again. Using this method, I take out 3 out of 4 generators right at the start of the mission.

Using the torpedoes mean I have to sit there and wait for the lock, and I lose time to shoot at turrets and everything else flying around my screen. In the meantime the screen shifts around so much, I sometimes have problems keeping the target until it locks. Other times the flyby the generators is so fast, I don't have time to even get a lock, whereas I could have easily fired off 4 missiles if I could only have used them. I actually failed this mission using torpedoes. That's when I unequipped them.

If you are talking about the low-level version of that mission, you can use guns to take out the shield generators. If you are talking about the high level one, just learn to use your torpedoes and get comfy with them. I can take out all 4 shields and the bridge before I make the first full pass. I use 3 torpedoes on 3 shields, one torpedo on the bridge and missiles and guns on the last shield.

Speaking of ship parts, what are to "top" parts? I have all level 5 with 4 purple no level parts, armor, missile, beam generator, and another i can't recall which. Haven't seen anything better, ever.

They are purple (artifact?) quality parts ranging from levels 43-49. They are the only ship parts you can get for those levels.

They are purple (artifact?) quality parts ranging from levels 43-49. They are the only ship parts you can get for those levels.

Re-reading my question, I realized I didn't phrase it very well. Are you saying that the 4 purple parts I've found up to this point are the best ones and that the blue 5's from the ship parts dealers are the best for the other slots? Or are there purples for the other slots too?

Re-reading my question, I realized I didn't phrase it very well. Are you saying that the 4 purple parts I've found up to this point are the best ones and that the blue 5's from the ship parts dealers are the best for the other slots? Or are there purples for the other slots too?

Every slot that's not bought for flight commendations has an Epic version, named by "[Company name] [part kind]" eg. Quellegh Industrial Shield Generator. They are all crafted by Cybertech, and level 49-50 Underworld Trading and Slicing missions sometimes give the schematics on crits.

I attempted missions with the proton torpedo equipped and after about 5 missions I removed it. I was trying to save them for the shielded items but everytime I tried to target something with regular missles, it only brought up the target crosshairs for the protons regardless of the target. After that I unequipped them and continued they way I had been before.I cannot speak for the Republic side, but on the Imperial side there isn't a single mission that you cannot complete without the proton torpedos and that is including the bonus missions.

I had trouble with them at first, but I learned how to use them and when to fire them off. It takes a steady hand and a decent mouse to use them most effectively, since you have to hold the lock-on over the target.

But, in every space mission there is a corvette or target that can only be blown up with the Proton Torpedoes and it pays a quick 3k credits.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.