Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

EXP freeze, good or great?

Shredbull

I personally think that there should be an option to exp freeze.

I have leveled 3 toons to 50, yet I really enjoy 10-49 warzones and as of right now it's quite pointless to actually buy good pre 50 gear, it's a waste of credits.

It would create alot more fun for some people and it gives us the opportunity to actually go out and try to get BiS level 30 gear for example, while exp is frozen it would be possible to twink a bit.

I don't see any reason for this to be bad, people who don't want it simply can choose to not disable exp gain and level.

I am at a point where the game feels like a gear grind, and it's all going way too fast. Bioware is forcing big patches through just to keep players playing. What about improving the current game? I personally wouldn't need new content if the game was so much fun...

The GTM's are purely filled with level 49~ ish items. People barely go out and raid low level world bosses, or do the flashpoints. People don't bother getting epic recipes anymore, for level 45 and below. I think it's sad such a big part of the content gets wasted. Freezing experience would be a great and simple solution to kill ALOT of time and get the games economy up a bit. I know that 16k hp with bolster is possible, I myself have reached 15.3k (level 30 PT, dps) and trust me it's alot of fun knowing that you worked for something and see the benefits of it.

It would bring back a bit of the games spirit. People play for a reason. The true gamers , they want to work for something, they want to work towards a goal. You, bioware, have eliminated this goal in patch 1.2 . At least give us experience freeze so we can have fun twinking around.

Let's be fair, the 10-49 brackets are filled with half geared greenies who don't know what they're doing. All they want is a quick rush towards 50. I think experience freeze would keep alot of players playing, ones that like to have alts to work on.

TL;DR : Experience freeze would contribute towards a better playerbase, game economy. I don't see any downsides. If you simply don't want it you can just leave it disabled and continue to rush. I liked twinking in many games and I don't think SWTOR should be an exception.

I hope you all share your honest opinion and enjoy the game !

Ive seen this idea a bunch of times and I will say the same thing I always say:

Worst idea ever.

No matter how you spin it, no matter the upside, the fact is people will use a "no exp"option to stay in 1-49 pvp as a level 49 to farm the lowbies, which makes such an option unacceptable in my opinion.

Edited by LiveandDieinLA

New people get game, join warzone with level say 14 gear. get 12k health go against twink who has as you say 15k health and hits a bit harder then them. few games they lose enjoyment.

Meaning your "fun" is someone elses pain.

Seperate queues is proof that people who Twink dont want queues that avoid the max level grind they just want a gear advantage because when it was introduced it went from constant games to one per day if at all.

I dont understand how people claim that its so much more fun when really its the same thing as the level cap just without the pvp stat.

Ive seen this idea a bunch of times and I will say the same thing I always say:

Worst idea ever.

No matter how you spin it, no matter the upside, the fact is people will use a "no exp"option to stay in 1-49 pvp as a level 49 to farm the lowbies, which makes such an option unacceptable in my opinion.

Oh yes they will, and as this isn't happening in the level 50 brackets?

This game needs something called progression, and it is time the GTM's and the players that aren't 50 yet start to care about the leveling process rather than OH OH QUICK TO 50.

Thanks for your opinion but it's not a bad idea, it's a great idea. 10-49 brackets are SO horrible at the moment. Players have NO idea what they are doing they randomly wear gear that's 10 levels below their level, they don't know what the objectives in a warzone are, they refuse to work togheter.

Those players deserve to be 'farmed' as you call it. It is about time the casuals get seperated from the players that actually play warzones to win. If you come into a warzone, with gear 10 levels below your level, you refuse to work togheter or take initiative, and you just derp around till you have 4 medals and then go semi afk, then you are not playing a warzone, and you shouldn't even be queuing up for them. Thus exp freeze should be no issue whatsoever.

I just made your arguement invalid.

Then ppl would just stop at lvl 49 just so they can farm lvl 10. If the freeze was at lvl 40 it would be cool. then ppl would choose to freeze because they enjoy the 10-49 bracket more and not just because they want an easy farm.

Agreed, this is a terrible idea. Twinks are bad enough at 50, but at 49....screw that, it'd be bad for warzones which would come down to whoever has the most 49 twinks wins.

Level 50's aren't twinks, they're level 50's. Level 49's aren't twinks, they're level 49's.

I am talking about an option to freeze exp to increase the games economy and make the 10-49 warzones more challenging.

I am not asking for something exclusively. Everyone is able to do this, and everyone can get the same stuff.

It would be purely selfish not to support this idea.

'oh yeah hurr durr i like doing nothing i like having bad gear and still level up like a steamtrain'

No, just no. The experience gained from warzones is already too much and I believe there should be an option to freeze it. Don't like it? Don't warzone.

If the freeze was at lvl 40 it would be cool. then ppl would choose to freeze because they enjoy the 10-49 bracket more and not just because they want an easy farm.

That's a really good idea. It lets you reach the 31 point talent, but at the same time, doesn't guarantee superiority over people levelling normally.

Then ppl would just stop at lvl 49 just so they can farm lvl 10. If the freeze was at lvl 40 it would be cool. then ppl would choose to freeze because they enjoy the 10-49 bracket more and not just because they want an easy farm.

Yeah okay the freeze should be only possible below level 45 or so, so that players can't acces the 49 craftables etc.

I am speaking of level 20-30 chars, thats fun to gear out.

Oh yes they will, and as this isn't happening in the level 50 brackets?

This game needs something called progression, and it is time the GTM's and the players that aren't 50 yet start to care about the leveling process rather than OH OH QUICK TO 50.

Thanks for your opinion but it's not a bad idea, it's a great idea. 10-49 brackets are SO horrible at the moment. Players have NO idea what they are doing they randomly wear gear that's 10 levels below their level, they don't know what the objectives in a warzone are, they refuse to work togheter.

Those players deserve to be 'farmed' as you call it. It is about time the casuals get seperated from the players that actually play warzones to win. If you come into a warzone, with gear 10 levels below your level, you refuse to work togheter or take initiative, and you just derp around till you have 4 medals and then go semi afk, then you are not playing a warzone, and you shouldn't even be queuing up for them. Thus exp freeze should be no issue whatsoever.

I just made your arguement invalid.

Actually what you said is basically "I want to farm nubs" Those players need to learn. If they zone in and lose a few games something will hopefully twig in their head. If they keep zoning in to 49s that are twinking theres no point in learning because they are severly undergeared.

Are you suggesting a seperate queue for it now? because on my battlegroup in wow that killed the actual twinking scene because most were bad players who needed the advantages of extra gear and enchants.

You can twink fairly effectively right now, just need a few crafters and orange moddable gear. e.g. my 35 Operative healer is running with 14k hps in warzones and they are only using blues with 1 augment. If I had permanent lvl 49 twink, god it would be a monster in full lvl 49 epics with augments in many slots. You'd put THAT up against lvl 10's? heh, no, not a good idea.

That's a really good idea. It lets you reach the 31 point talent, but at the same time, doesn't guarantee superiority over people levelling normally.

Exactly, I don't want people to have a talent point advantage, I just want the option for players that enjoy low level flashpoints or maximixing out a character through crafting being able to actually AQUIRE a full gear set and play with it a bit.

Do you know how stupid the current leveling system is? You work a week to get the materials needed to craft lets say level 29 armorings, enhancements, and mods. Then you equip them, in the orange items you worked so hard for (wrists, belt included), and poof, they are outdated within 1 day of hardcore warzoning.

And guess what, not a single person that crafts anything for level 10-48. It is just horrible to be forced to either go to an endless reverse engineer grind just to get that one recipe for your level, get the epic mats for it, wear it, and see it turn useless within a very small timeframe.

You can twink fairly effectively right now, just need a few crafters and orange moddable gear. e.g. my 35 Operative healer is running with 14k hps in warzones and they are only using blues with 1 augment. If I had permanent lvl 49 twink, god it would be a monster in full lvl 49 epics with augments in many slots. You'd put THAT up against lvl 10's? heh, no, not a good idea.

This is why we need multiple brackets.

10-19

20-29

30-39

40-49

EDIT : It was always a stupid idea to put roughly 39 levels into 1 pvp brackets.

A full epic geared level 15 still gets completely wrecked by a level 45 in bad greenies.

Edited by Shredbull

I'd like to see this option but for the same reason I would have liked to see it in LOTRO when I played that for years. I would have liked to done more of the quests at level instead of constantly out leveling an area. For the PvP aspect i wouldn't have a problem with it either if somebody wants to twink more power to them, not my thing but hey whatever.

This is why we need multiple brackets.

10-19

20-29

30-39

40-49

I'll say it again. turning off exp will kill the pvp from 1-49, adding these queues will also kill the pvp as well because lets face it, even on high pop servers there arent a ton of people in x bracket.

Why dont you just organise "twink" fights out in outlaws den or somewhere?

I'd like to see this option but for the same reason I would have liked to see it in LOTRO when I played that for years. I would have liked to done more of the quests at level instead of constantly out leveling an area. For the PvP aspect i wouldn't have a problem with it either if somebody wants to twink more power to them, not my thing but hey whatever.

Exactly my point ! So much content gets wasted, people are forced into rushing towards 50 because if you do your class quests and 1-2 side quests all others start turning grey already. People get no time whatsoever to learn and master the skills they get and learn nothing about the game.

Freezing experience would free alot of options for dedicated players. Including PvE, you could make a PvE twink tank for example, run all your flashpoints, team up with twink friends, would be awesome.

I'll say it again. turning off exp will kill the pvp from 1-49, adding these queues will also kill the pvp as well because lets face it, even on high pop servers there arent a ton of people in x bracket.

Why dont you just organise "twink" fights out in outlaws den or somewhere?

High pop servers, such as Tomb of Freedom Nadd, EU, have over 150-200 players on almost every planet. I highly doubt there would be queues for those brackets longer than 2 minutes.

Secondly, outlaws den would be a great option BUT the travel times are simply TOO LONG and noone goes there. Well except for the occasional stealther grabbing chests like a turd.

I don't think it is good, nor great.

I would rather not see such an option.

Well that's such a great arguement, I stand baffled.

On a side note, I feel very much for players not wanting to work for anything in an MMORPG.

No.

This kills using PvP to level up an alt. Even with seperate brackets it's basically turns into getting roflstomped if you're not a twink until you hit 50.

I already run into twinked 45-49 pre-mades and it's not fun.

Let's say if you turn off exp you can only play against others who have turned off exp. Then i wouldn't have a problem with it. That, of course, defeats the whole point of why people want to do this, ie pwning with a gear/talent/ability advantage.

Level 50's aren't twinks, they're level 50's. Level 49's aren't twinks, they're level 49's.

I am talking about an option to freeze exp to increase the games economy and make the 10-49 warzones more challenging.

I am not asking for something exclusively. Everyone is able to do this, and everyone can get the same stuff.

It would be purely selfish not to support this idea.

'oh yeah hurr durr i like doing nothing i like having bad gear and still level up like a steamtrain'

No, just no. The experience gained from warzones is already too much and I believe there should be an option to freeze it. Don't like it? Don't warzone.

Try and dress it up all you want, it is clear what you are after. Welcome to WoW 2007, when super-geared bracket squatters killed everyone and everything in their path and the forums were filled with whining and crying about how it was unfair.

Blizzzard changed the way PvP was done for a reason. Now, if Bioware wants to implement it like WoW's and everyone with frozen XP plays in a separate bracket, then you've got a deal.

I agree with every point already made - i hate the idea of giving people the option to lock their experience bar. This allows an individual to progress their character in gear without progressing in level appropriatley. I.E. Twink - twinks are unhealthy for general pvp.

The only way this makes any sense is if the players who have their experience locked queue against one another only and never mix with the general population.

Look what happened in WoW when they put in the XP lock and separate queues only a handful of us with twinks moved to Ruin (49s other brackets tried other BGs) to try to organize games, which did work for awhile, however most just want to pound under geared people with competition here and there. I dont think the pop is large enough to support a separate queue for lvl locked people and you cant put them in with levelers the way bolster works and bracketing is not a good idea at least until cross server queues come out and even then a 10 level range I dont think is a good idea.

Its not so much different at 50 where Full BM + 4 man premades like stomping PuGs. Sometimes its fun to be OP but it gets old fast. I personally would prefer competition every time I zone in. There is nothing like a 1-1 Huttball with 30 secs left with 2 good teams. Even now in the 1-49 most of the time it is a stomp one way or the other. Add twinks in there and people will feel they cannot compete and it will discourage people from queueing and new players will be completely turned off.

Maybe when the level cap is raised if you dont by the expansion you will stay capped at 50 and will be back in the leveling queue. This was available at one point in WoW as well and was actually fun for a lot of people to run old raids with their guild.

Anyway for right now the way the population is fluctuating we cannot afford to turn new people or current players off to certain aspects of the game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.