7 hour shutdown

mattygbanga

I am confused with figuring out all these weird time zones can anyone tell me in hours when the server maintenance is going to start from now. Tyvm

They do list the different time zones with thier times. You saying you donot know what time zone you live in?

I can't imagine how long the 1.2 update will take. 7 hours for more bug repairs ? All of these updates and I still have to run repair every day. I think the BW should spend more time trying to get this game to work and alot less time on really stupid April fools jokes.

I can't imagine how long the 1.2 update will take. 7 hours for more bug repairs ? All of these updates and I still have to run repair every day. I think the BW should spend more time trying to get this game to work and alot less time on really stupid April fools jokes.

yes, cause most other MMOs don't take a huge amount of time for their patches and fixes...

^that was sarcastic in case you missed it.

I rather they tell us it will take 7 hours, then have another MMO maker tell us it will take 3 then end up extending the maintenance window 7 more hours cause they found something while updating the databases and clients... sheesh.

Also... it's not like one person or one team sitting there deciding to do a april fools joke or fix a game bug or tighten code... "hmm decisions decisions... what to do today?":rolleyes:

They can, and do, work on multiple things with little to no drain on resources... that is how dev teams operate.

Hello there, folks! We have had to remove a few posts from this thread for going off topic. This is a quick reminder to please keep to the original discussion/question posted. Thank you!

Actually, several of the ones you deleted WERE on topic.

Edited by Valethar

I am confused with figuring out [...] time zones

Depending on your operating system - Right-click on the clock ( bottom right hand corner, usually), choose Adjust Date/time, choose Additional clocks. Add a clock using the Central timezine.

Alternatively, add a World Clock widget to your Sidebar or Desktop (again, depending on operating system).

If that fails, buy a cheap alarm clock, set it to Central timezine and stick it on your computer desk.

Hello there, folks! We have had to remove a few posts from this thread for going off topic. This is a quick reminder to please keep to the original discussion/question posted. Thank you!

Thanks for policing the system yet offering no comment on content, very effective, great job.

The following was copied directly from Wisegeek.com and gives a basic overview of what is involved in server maintenance. Two IT buddies (one who works for Caterpillar and the other who works for HP at State Farm Insurance) suggested the bit to me when I asked them about it...

"Server maintenance involves the process of keeping a server updated and running so that a computer network can operate smoothly. Properly maintaining a server is usually the task of a network administrator, and it is vital to the performance of the network. If server maintenance is not conducted on a computer network, regardless of whether the network is small or large, application software usually will not run as well as expected. In some cases, a network may even experience total or partial network failure if proper maintenance is not conducted.

Maintaining a server requires a network administrator to conduct preventive maintenance. Essentially, this means that the administrator must review the server's performance as well as potential security risks and backup protocols at regular intervals. As part of preventative maintenance, an administrator typically ensures that automated system monitoring utilities are installed and appropriately configured. These utilities often come with the server’s hardware package.

Even with automated utilities in place, a solid server maintenance plan requires several basic steps. First, the administrator usually conducts a thorough examination of the network, including checking server log files, hard disk space, folder permissions, and redundancy. This review usually also includes monitoring network temperature applications to ensure the server does not get too hot. If a machine overheats, for example, vital equipment like the central processing unit, memory, or motherboard can be impacted.

Security and application functionality should also be examined as part of server maintenance. If required, security patches should be installed on individual computers within the network to ensure data is securely being maintained. The security review should also include reading server logs for evidence of computer hacking attempts or security alerts. In addition, the administrator should ensure that antivirus software is updated on all of the computers in the network.

During server maintenance, any essential service packs and software updates should be made to the network computers. Typically, these items can be installed after working hours so that network user activity is not disturbed. When necessary, a system correction, system restoration, or hardware component replacement may also need to be made.

A server maintenance plan should also include a comprehensive backup plan. In the event of a system failure, the backup data will be vital in helping the network users retrieve their stored information. Depending on what kind of data is stored on a server, it may need to be backed up daily, weekly, bi-monthly, or monthly. A good backup plan should always be tested regularly to ensure that it will meet data recovery requirements."

I can see how any number of these could take a considerable amount of time.

What i'd like to stress out for those who are saying "it's better they told us it's gonna take 7 hours than say it's gonna take 3"

well, here you go pal.

"We will now be performing scheduled maintenance for seven hours on Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012 from 2AM CDT (12AM PDT/3AM EDT/8AM BST/9AM CEST/5PM AEST) until 9AM CDT (7AM PDT/10AM EDT/3PM BST/4PM CEST/12AM AEST). All game servers and SWTOR.com will be offline during this period. This maintenance is expected to take no more than seven hours, but could be extended."

This maintenance could take a full day if they felt like it, and by "felt like it" i mean, they screw something up and patch it few hours or minutes later. But hey, it's not like they have public test servers to test those things out do they now?

And those saying "maintenances take some time", i'd like to see google or even battlelog (which has more players a day than swtor had on day 1) going through maintenance for seven hours. omg those heads would roll.. da horror..

Edited by Carousel_t

And those saying "maintenances take some time", i'd like to see google or even battlelog (which has more players a day than swtor had on day 1) going through maintenance for seven hours. omg those heads would roll.. da horror..

Except that Google isn't an MMO it is a large array of thousands upon thousands of servers with multiple redundancies in place that allow them to do constant maintenance by only pulling one or two down at a time.

You can't compare the two systems because they involve and do two totally different things. It's like comparing brake jobs between a Corvette and a Green Machine...

Since the Mods seem to have a taken an interest here, can you please have someone write a blog post on what exactly transpires during a server maintenance so they stop making ignorant assumptions?

Why do you guys need to know what they do? Just be happy that they do it, the money you pay to subscribe to this game is what enables those people who do those 'mystery tasks' to do so and keep the game running.

I don't get what makes people think they deserve to know every little detail of what happens, if they did not do shutdowns to fix things the game would end up a lot worse for bugs than it is, then there would be an array of posts crying about how buggy the game is and wondering why they don't shut down and fix it from time to time.

Shut up, deal with it.

I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. Are you guys saying the pop is higher during the wee hours of the morning than during primetime, so its integral you get some solid playtime in after midnight lest you miss an FP run?

Or do the majority of you work second shift hours, so you can only play after midnight? Maybe that's why my server pop is low.

Or your coven doesn't let you out until the moon is full.

Either way, what difference does it make how long it takes them to perform maintenance in the middle of the night.

Go to bed.

Edited by andrelle

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.