Can oranges be REed for Schematics?

Lithy

SO I have TD-17A Talon Bracers, They are modifiable bracers. I've actually made a bit of a stock for modifiable bracers and belts, I have 2 bracers that are modifiable and 2 belts that are modifiable.

The question is will I be able to Reverse Engineer the "TD-17A Talon Bracers" specifically into a schematic or can any modifiable Belt and Bracer be RE'd into a schematic. Or are Modifiable belts and bracers just not able to be Reverse engineered into a schematic. I would also like to know if they are able to be RE'd into a schematic, whats the chance at me getting a schematic if I RE them?

Because if I just RE them in 1.2 and I just destroy my stock of modifiable belts and bracers... Well that would just stink big time.

I hope a Dev could answer my question. Though they have answered people about this but in a much more broader sense. Since the modifiable bracers and belts are a rarity I would like a guarantee, since it would do a lot of pain and torment if I just RE them and Boom, gone.

Edited by xGordan_Freemanx

To make sense of the developer posts let me list some terms as crafters you should become familiar with.

Modable gear = Purple gear with mods, and enhancements in them.

Custom gear = Orange gear of any kind

RE = Reverse engineered to produce material

Researched = Reverse engineered to learn a schematic

Modable gear that is added in 1.2 will have a chance to be learned if you win a reverse engineer roll in a group. This does not include pvp gear keep in mind. Custom gear can not be reverse engineered, however several new schematics have been added that can be found through crafting missions (underworld trading for example). Most gear can now be reverse engineered to produce materials, for example the lv14 green gloves that dropped for you off trash in athiss will reverse engineer into rubat crystals. There is a chance with blue/green gear that when you reverse engineer them for mats you might research a basic green schematic of that gear that you can then craft.

so if I'm to simplify this into an answer to my question "how will I be able to crit craft orange schematics so I can sell them on the GTN?" the two part answer is:

1. learn the orange schematic through crafting missions

2. learn the orange schematic through an research (disassemble) loot roll on new gear added in 1.2

am I understanding this correctly? no learning orange schematics from any items we are saving up right now? none whatsoever?

Purple modable items CANNOT be researched to schematics. When you research them there is a chance that they will produce an Orange shell. A shell is not a schematic but a empty orange gear that is bound to your character.

For example I have an purple helm, with a mod and enhancement in it (important that they have mods and not just purple color *items currently name [prototype]) When I reverse engineering this item there is a 20% chance I get a orange item back, 80% chance I receive mats. It is also important that you leave the mods in the gear when you reverse engineer it. This orange shell is not a schematic but an empty orange version of the purple helm with the same looks.

Currently there are no [Prototype] purple belts or bracers. What this means is we will not be crafting low level orange boots/gloves but we can reverse engineer purples with mods to have a chance of receiving a orange boots/gloves in return. Purple bracers/belts when reverse engineered will only return mats, thus we will not be crafting these or getting them from reverse engineering!

why in the world would you ever want to have an orange shell instead of a purple shell?

I am going to try and make sense of the insanity for you :)

One thing they do not want is for purple gear to become glorified loot bags. Basically we roll on every purple we see and rip those mods out and put them into our custom gear, then reverse engineer what is left for mods and schematics (I call this loot cannibalism).

The system we have ended up with is people will be running around in a variety of gear (I call this loot hybridity). Most people will be wearing purple belts/bracers/boots/gloves and custom augmented chest/legs. The only way to get augmented custom boots/gloves will be through reverse engineering purples to proc augmented orange shells. There will be no way to get augmented custom bracers/belts, but we can still craft purple augmented belts/bracers.

There is allot more variety in gear options under loot hybridity then under loot cannibalism.

This helps some but is still somewhat confusing. Under the way u described it is there no way to get augmented orange gloves, helm, and boots unless you are armourmech/synth?

Also as an armstech I am currently able to crit my oranges with augment slots... sold one already for just under a million, however this will become easier and I will not need the biometric allow to do this anymore? Correct?

The system we have ended up with is people will be running around in a variety of gear (I call this loot hybridity). Most people will be wearing purple belts/bracers/boots/gloves and custom augmented chest/legs. The only way to get augmented custom boots/gloves will be through reverse engineering purples to proc augmented orange shells. There will be no way to get augmented custom bracers/belts, but we can still craft purple augmented belts/bracers.

There is allot more variety in gear options under loot hybridity then under loot cannibalism.

There would be a lot more variety if they would allow people to re-proc augment slots from oranges like they said they would. This is pure bait and switch.

I've read the thread and I'm still confused.

With the changes in 1.2 can I craft a Orange Schematic I already know I.E. Electrum Onslaught Chestguard a few times and get a crit and end up with the same item + Augment slot?

That is the point of these changes... right? The objective being to allow every one to be the unique snowflake that they want to be by letting us get the enhancements of endgame gear and the model and color that we want. With the stat boost from augments that makes it better than the "regular" purple PVP/PVE gear.

Modable gear = Purple gear with mods, and enhancements in them.

Custom gear = Orange gear of any kind

RE = Reverse engineered to produce material

Researched = Reverse engineered to learn a schematic

Not to criticize, but isn't custom gear *also* moddable ?

*ALSO* please look again at this quote from GZ :

Hey,

A bunch of you have brought up the point that reverse engineering orange quest item appearances would be a risky business.

That's true - which is why we did not enable reverse engineering for these. It would be pretty frustrating for players to destroy the quest reward they worked so hard to get for a chance at being able to craft the appearance.

from this thread.

First of all he's not saying "researching" as opposed to RE which only brings mats but he's indeed well saying :

reverse-engineering [...] for a chance at being able to craft the appearance.

That for starter...

Secondly why in the blaze would he state that we can't RE to craft appearances on orange quest rewards instead of saying ALL oranges in the first place ?

See :

"which is why we did not enable reverse engineering for these."

"For these" => the orange quest rewards, so it lets us think that for the others (non-quest) we'd be able to RE them to get schematics.

You see my point ? You see where all the confusion originates from ?

:jawa_smile:

*ALSO* please look again at this quote from GZ :

from this thread.

First of all he's not saying "researching" as opposed to RE which only brings mats but he's indeed well saying :

reverse-engineering [...] for a chance at being able to craft the appearance.

That for starter...

Secondly why in the blaze would he state that we can't RE to craft appearances on orange quest rewards instead of saying ALL oranges in the first place ?

See :

"which is why we did not enable reverse engineering for these."

"For these" => the orange quest rewards, so it lets us think that for the others (non-quest) we'd be able to RE them to get schematics.

You see my point ? You see where all the confusion originates from ?

:jawa_smile:

That is what is confusing me too, I was ready to drop Biochem thinking that I could RE my oranges into schematics so I could get augments on them. Now if the schematics only come from mission skills according according to them, I don't see the point of dropping it now when I can just go Armormech on an alt and send him the schematics and mats.

Honestly I'm skeptical about what Georg says anyway. He did tell us on a thread a little bit ago that all purple gear will be fully moddable in 1.2 including endgame sets, and even when someone asked if he meant all including lower level ones he replied yes. We know this isn't the case now which makes me wonder if the devs even talk to eachother because we end up getting a lot of cases where 1 dev says something on a subject and another says something completely different on the same subject.

You will see orange crafts proc augments about 4-10% of the time. This means you can craft augmented gear for Legs/Chest/Helm with your current orange (custom) schematics. You will be able to craft Orange lv50 gear boots/gloves if you have 50 valor, or have won a research roll in a 1.2 raid (10-20% chance). For Belts/Bracers I think but I am not sure you can get lv50 raid/pvp and craft for augments.

All your current orange gear, as in from quests or previously crafter or bought off the AH cannot be researched to anything but mats. This way people cannot get a leg up by saving these up.

Someone asked why would you want a Orange shell over a Purple shell, it is because when you reverse engineer that purple there will be a chance the orange shell will come with an augment.

Again you cannot learn schematics from orange gear, you also cannot learn schematics from purple gear, you get orange shells with a chance of an augment. The exception to this rule is purples droping in 1.2 dungeons, which you have to win a reverse engineer roll against the raid.

In 1.3 we will have the ability to add augments to any gear. Keep in mind all augments will be half the value they are now, a 26 will aug will be a 13 will/13 stam in 1.2 thus augments are not all powerful.

The reason why you cannot reverse engineer your current orange gear is because there are schematics for that gear to be found through crew missions. If they aloud us to reverse engineer our quest custom gear, there is a large chance you will destroy that gear and only get mats in return. Any gear you have that you cannot find a schematic for you should keep in your bank untill 1.3 and the ability to add augments to any gear will be added!

Allot of quest purples that you recieve, specifically the ones you get from your class quest will probably never have schematics for. This is because BIO does not want to see this stuff become availible to all classes and companions. However this unique personal gear will be augmentable come 1.3 so KEEP IT!

All your current orange gear, as in from quests or previously crafter or bought off the AH cannot be researched to anything but mats. This way people cannot get a leg up by saving these up.

How does it give people any more of a leg up over people that currently have the extremely easy to get orange schematics?

Honestly I was set on going armormech simply for reverse engineering stuff that I like the appearance of for schematics, if all I need to do is chain run missions to get schematics then there is no point for me in having the actual profession on my main and instead just sending an alt the schematics and sending myself back the augment slotted orange gear.

This also makes the brand new legacy armor worthless until 1.3 as it cannot have augment slots on it and I severely doubt that they'll be adding schematics to craft those pieces through missions.

Purple modable items CANNOT be researched to schematics. When you research them there is a chance that they will produce an Orange shell. A shell is not a schematic but a empty orange gear that is bound to your character.

For example I have an purple helm, with a mod and enhancement in it (important that they have mods and not just purple color *items currently name [prototype]) When I reverse engineering this item there is a 20% chance I get a orange item back, 80% chance I receive mats. It is also important that you leave the mods in the gear when you reverse engineer it. This orange shell is not a schematic but an empty orange version of the purple helm with the same looks.

Currently there are no [Prototype] purple belts or bracers. What this means is we will not be crafting low level orange boots/gloves but we can reverse engineer purples with mods to have a chance of receiving a orange boots/gloves in return. Purple bracers/belts when reverse engineered will only return mats, thus we will not be crafting these or getting them from reverse engineering!

Ignobull,

How, exactly, do you get from

Players may now reverse engineer many endgame items to research schematics for items and mods. Tier 2 (new) endgame items can be reverse engineered, and players have a chance to learn how to craft these items up on reverse engineering them. Set Armorings do not provide schematics for crafters.

to

For example I have an purple helm, with a mod and enhancement in it (important that they have mods and not just purple color *items currently name [prototype]) When I reverse engineering this item there is a 20% chance I get a orange item back, 80% chance I receive mats. It is also important that you leave the mods in the gear when you reverse engineer it.

Your information completely contradicts what the patch notes are saying. The notes blatantly state that you get schematics and that you LEARN how to craft them. Something with that drastic of a change would HAVE to be documented.

Torhead has a copy available (last updated 4/4) for people who don't want to download the test server data.

Honestly I'm skeptical about what Georg says anyway. He did tell us on a thread a little bit ago that all purple gear will be fully moddable in 1.2 including endgame sets, and even when someone asked if he meant all including lower level ones he replied yes.

I believe you're thinking about this :

On top of that, we full mod customization of all purple gear in 1.2, including the ability to extract and transfer endgame set bonuses onto custom gear.

While we are at it, maybe you can give us a confirmation on some of my current assumptions:

- Extracting all pieces from a purple item effectively makes them equivalent to an orange item, i.e. you can put in anything you want (for example, fill a Sith Juggernaut piece with Bounty Hunter mods)

- Not only set items from vendors, but all (or just high level?) purple items allow extraction of mods; I further assume this means you can take one of the many purple belts or bracers and empty them out or partially modify/upgrade them. This would provide a welcome end on the very limited situation regarding moddable belts and bracers, particularly since for some ACs there aren't any at all.

Yes. :)

Which happened in this thread.

Ignobull,

How, exactly, do you get from

to

Your information completely contradicts what the patch notes are saying. The notes blatantly state that you get schematics and that you LEARN how to craft them. Something with that drastic of a change would HAVE to be documented.

Torhead has a copy available (last updated 4/4) for people who don't want to download the test server data.

My example was not for the new 1.2 gear, it was for a current purple. As of what I have seen only the new gear reverse engineers into schematics.

My example was not for the new 1.2 gear, it was for a current purple. As of what I have seen only the new gear reverse engineers into schematics.

I retain some confusing when trying to put this in context with a previous statement you made.

The only way to get augmented custom boots/gloves will be through reverse engineering purples to proc augmented orange shells.[/b] There will be no way to get augmented custom bracers/belts' date=' but we can still craft purple augmented belts/bracers.[/quote']

There are only a few ways I can think of reading these two posts together.

Either 1) When you say "Schematic" you mean trade-able schematic, and reverse engineering a non-new-purple still "teaches you the ability to craft".

or 2) Reverse engineering a non-new-purple directly adds an orange item to your inventory, but it has a small chance to have an augment slot.

or 3) When you mention reverse engineered purples in the 2nd quote, you are only referring to reverse-engineered-NEW-purples.

Whichever you meant, I assume you're getting this info from playing on the PTS?

Edited by Jagrevi

Someone asked why would you want a Orange shell over a Purple shell, it is because when you reverse engineer that purple there will be a chance the orange shell will come with an augment.

Crafted purples, right now, can have augment slots.

Crafted oranges, post 1.2, can also have augment slots.

I've asked this elsewhere, but will ask again... what, if any, is the actual difference between a crafted purple shell, and a crafted orange shell, post-1.2? It's my understanding that they function identically; both can have augment slots (when crit crafted), and both have fully extractable mods.

The earlier question about why we would want an orange shell over a purple shell remains pertinent.

I've asked this elsewhere, but will ask again... what, if any, is the actual difference between a crafted purple shell, and a crafted orange shell, post-1.2? It's my understanding that they function identically; both can have augment slots (when crit crafted), and both have fully extractable mods.

The earlier question about why we would want an orange shell over a purple shell remains pertinent.

There is no practical difference between an orange shell and a purple shell besides the looks.

Are you two guys implying that on the PTS right now : every crafted purple can be fully moded in and out ? from lvl 10 to 50 ? example this crafted gun (base green, non moddable) when REed to blue (example overkill, still non moddable) then to purple (expert) becomes fully moddable ???

From my understanding of the shell items, for the *crafted* shell items, if you can't make the shell items you don't get a choice -- you can only get oranges because the purple ones are bind on pickup. I can't think of a *crafted* purple shell item that is Bind on Equip, only the non crafted random ones that pop up as world drops or from the Artifact cases.

Are you two guys implying that on the PTS right now : every crafted purple can be fully moded in and out ? from lvl 10 to 50 ? example this crafted gun (base green, non moddable) when REed to blue (example overkill, still non moddable) then to purple (expert) becomes fully moddable ???

That better not be what they are implying or my armormech sniper on the test server would like to blast a few holes in their direction. (He has multiple RE'd recipes up to purple and NONE are moddable.)

That better not be what they are implying or my armormech sniper on the test server would like to blast a few holes in their direction. (He has multiple RE'd recipes up to purple and NONE are moddable.)

So why are they using :

- purple shells

- crafted purple shells

???

Aren't shells supposed to be items you can swap mods in and out ?

So why are they using :

- purple shells

- crafted purple shells

???

Aren't shells supposed to be items you can swap mods in and out ?

There is no such thing as a crafted purple shell. Some endgame purples can be RE'ed into a schematic and that becomes an orange schematic.

Purples that are crafted do not become shells+mods.

Only moddable purples (for instance endgame or world drops) can be called purple shells.

There is no such thing as a crafted purple shell. Some endgame purples can be RE'ed into a schematic and that becomes an orange schematic.

Purples that are crafted do not become shells+mods.

Only moddable purples (for instance endgame or world drops) can be called purple shells.

Yes, purple crafted shells do exist. There are Operations drop recipes that give you purple modded armor. Any Operations participant who has seen the armormech or synthweaving ones can confirm this.