Can oranges be REed for Schematics?

Lithy

No, only modded purples (and only the new engame ones) can be RE'ed for schematics.

PVP gear will not RE to a schematic. Players will buy the schematics from a vendor, and the shells created will require certain valor levels to equip.

Also, they stated many of the existing orange sets will have schematics added that will drop as rewards from crafting missions. No specificity on how many new sets have been added or if they also include slots other than chest, legs and helm.

So I have been hording lots of purple gloves and belts with mods in it.

As of 1.2 I can now RE these guys and get a orange schematic for them now correct? And what is the RE rate on these. Is it 100 percent? Some of these modded purples cost me a fair amount of creds since they were close to level 50.

Step 1: Buy up Purple modded gloves belts whatever.

Step 2: 1.2 Hits. Rip out the mods and RE the items them and hope for a orange schematic of these. Any confirmation on returns? Also the mods may now earn me a new schematic.

Step 3: Craft a batch and hope one of these oranges "crits".

Step 4: Be the first to put these crit crafted oranges on the market and make a killing!

Step 5: RE the non crit oranges and get some mats back.

As a side keep my alts running missions to get the orange schematics for other orange sets that can't be RE'd into a schematic and hope one of the new ones added is the Battlelord Set!

Kinda disjointed as I am just gathering my thoughts but ya something like that correct?

Ror

i dont think thats right..they said you can RE orange to get orange with mod slot i think

No, they never said that, though they did make confusing and unclear statements. The latest Q&A has much more detailed information on the 1.2 changes, it is linked on the main forums page.

In summary, most NEW (T2) modifiable gear will provide schematics upon RE (still subject to chance), along with mats required to craft these new items (new mats - non-BOP).

Existing orange gear WILL NOT provide schematics upon RE. New schematics are being added as drops from crafting missions to provide modifiable items with the same appearance of existing sets. No details were provided on specific sets being added nor if this will include slots such as boots, gloves, bracers and belts.

Existing modifiable purple gear WILL NOT provide schematics upon RE, though the armoring will be unlocked. Armoring from existing items with set bonuses will not include the set bonus on the removable Armoring mod.

Edited by DawnAskham

@Crop

From what I took out of the dev write up is that orange can be RE'd but NOT for a schematic just mats. Only moddable purples have the chance? to grant a schematic.

At least you will get mats back for those horded oranges.

Also of note the orange recipes ala "Battlelord" & "Saber Marshall" (fingers crossed) can be obtained through running missions like our current setup for schematics, however no clear answer on if that will include anything besides chest helm and legs like we currently have.

Just re-read the write up.

I bought moddable purple non-end game gear in hopes of RE'ing it.

And it dosen't explicitly say you can do it. Only explicitly says "end game".

Now my question: When they say Tier 2 are they saying columi gear or are they saying the new "campaign" gear?

At the least you can get your new piece and rip out the mods and RE it without worrying that your losing your leet new stats cause those mods you can cram into a current orange set with an augment slot which makes it better stat wise.

Kinda begs the question are people now going to be rolling on everything all the time just to RE it? Or is this just going to be badge (new end game) gear your RE'ing anyways.

Edited by Ror-bi-wan

@Crop

From what I took out of the dev write up is that orange can be RE'd but NOT for a schematic just mats. Only moddable purples have the chance? to grant a schematic.

At least you will get mats back for those horded oranges.

Also of note the orange recipes ala "Battlelord" & "Saber Marshall" (fingers crossed) can be obtained through running missions like our current setup for schematics, however no clear answer on if that will include anything besides chest helm and legs like we currently have.

I guess I would agree with you if I read the statement below from the Q&A to mean "the schematics for these items are ONLY obtained via mission discoveries"

Because we do not want players to gamble with reverse engineering custom appearances (orange items) which are often unique quest rewards, the schematics for these items are obtained via mission discoveries for various gathering skills and are set to Bind on Equip to encourage active trading.

maybe that is what it means...

dang

The confusion is caused by the terminology they use.

When the developers say "you can RE it" they mean that you can break it down into mats.

When the developers say "you can research it" they mean you can RE it with a chance to obtain a new schematic.

AFAIK they never said you can research world dropped oranges, only that you can RE them.

Edited by Rhaphael

I think you can RE most (except PvP) oranges into a schmetic cause i remember them saying you could RE the oranges u get from quest reward to get a schemetic but dont want you to risk them so they are adding in new orange gear with similar art. Could be wrong of course =) Edited by lunartic

I think you can RE most (except PvP) oranges into a schmetic cause i remember them saying you could RE the oranges u get from quest reward to get a schemetic but dont want you to risk them so they are adding in new orange gear with similar art. Could be wrong of course =)

I think you think wrong. Pretty sure they said *if* you could you'd get pissed when you permanently lose that one of a kind item with no success, so instead you have to get the schematic from mission drops.

This

Community > Community News

Crew Skills in Game Update 1.2

We have also added new content for both the leveling and end game:

•Players with the appropriate professions are now able to reverse engineer random loot items and acquire materials from them - including Operations materials from end game items.

•Reverse engineering and research is now available for tier 2 end game items (and will automatically happen if the player wins a 'disassemble' loot in a group).

•Mods from tier 2 end game items may now be extracted and researched. However, Armorings that provide a set bonus can only be extracted. They do not yield research schematics.

Modifiable weapons and armor can now be reverse engineered and researched into empty, custom (orange) shells with the same name and appearance, adding a wide variety of new outfits to the game.

Also this

Most of the new schematics are not actual schematic items - they're reverse engineering discoveries.

I guess when they said "most", considering there are lots of new mission discovered and purchased schemetics coming, led me to believe that a lot of current orange gear are RE-able. Again, i could be wrong =)

Edited by lunartic

Step 5: RE the non crit oranges and get some mats back.

Unfortunatly, on all builds of the PTR including the one just today - crafted oranges cannot be RE'd at all. Looks like they are going to become vendor junk. Nobody will want them, and they cannot be RE'd to recover mats.

Extremely poor design choice here, as the vast majority of items produced by crafting will be failed crit oranges.

Unfortunatly, on all builds of the PTR including the one just today - crafted oranges cannot be RE'd at all. Looks like they are going to become vendor junk. Nobody will want them, and they cannot be RE'd to recover mats.

Extremely poor design choice here, as the vast majority of items produced by crafting will be failed crit oranges.

Oompaw, can you RE any oranges you pick up from killed mobs, flashpoint bosses, etc...?

Community > Community News

Crew Skills in Game Update 1.2

We have also added new content for both the leveling and end game:

•Players with the appropriate professions are now able to reverse engineer random loot items and acquire materials from them - including Operations materials from end game items.

•Reverse engineering and research is now available for tier 2 end game items (and will automatically happen if the player wins a 'disassemble' loot in a group).

•Mods from tier 2 end game items may now be extracted and researched. However, Armorings that provide a set bonus can only be extracted. They do not yield research schematics.

•Modifiable weapons and armor can now be reverse engineered and researched into empty, custom (orange) shells with the same name and appearance, adding a wide variety of new outfits to the game.

Underlined does not mean that orange weapons/armor can be RE'ed. The developers use the term "custom" for orange gear, "modifiable" simply means purples with mods in them.

Underlined does not mean that orange weapons/armor can be RE'ed. The developers use the term "custom" for orange gear, "modifiable" simply means purples with mods in them.

Okay my bad, didnt know that. Hmm i was actually unaware that you could RE purple gear to orange schemetics (besides the endgame pve purple, of course). Thanks for the info =)

PS: If the purple becomes modifiable like the dev note said it would (armoring), doesnt that make them orange gear?

I'm not convinced this is accurate; technically both purples with mod and enhancement slots AND full custom gear is 'modifiable.' The statement could mean that both partially modable artifact AND custom gear will be researchable to learn a schematic. Could anyone on the PTR confirm or deny?

I'm not convinced this is accurate; technically both purples with mod and enhancement slots AND full custom gear is 'modifiable.' The statement could mean that both partially modable artifact AND custom gear will be researchable to learn a schematic. Could anyone on the PTR confirm or deny?

Many on PTS have already confirmed that orange gear currently isn't researchable.

There was also a dev quote that said orange stuff wouldn't be researchable as many orange items are unique quest rewards, and they don't want people trashing it on the off chance of learning the schematic. (But said schematics would instead be available through UT)

'Course, (and this is no longer dev paraphrase, but me talking) since making the schematic available through UT instantly makes the item in question NON unique... shouldn't they then be researchable, as it's just (possibly) a shortcut to learning the schematic? if you lose the item you can replace it with a better version?

Purple modable items CANNOT be researched to schematics. When you research them there is a chance that they will produce an Orange shell. A shell is not a schematic but a empty orange gear that is bound to your character.

For example I have an purple helm, with a mod and enhancement in it (important that they have mods and not just purple color *items currently name [prototype]) When I reverse engineering this item there is a 20% chance I get a orange item back, 80% chance I receive mats. It is also important that you leave the mods in the gear when you reverse engineer it. This orange shell is not a schematic but an empty orange version of the purple helm with the same looks.

Currently there are no [Prototype] purple belts or bracers. What this means is we will not be crafting low level orange boots/gloves but we can reverse engineer purples with mods to have a chance of receiving a orange boots/gloves in return. Purple bracers/belts when reverse engineered will only return mats, thus we will not be crafting these or getting them from reverse engineering!

To make sense of the developer posts let me list some terms as crafters you should become familiar with.

Modable gear = Purple gear with mods, and enhancements in them.

Custom gear = Orange gear of any kind

RE = Reverse engineered to produce material

Researched = Reverse engineered to learn a schematic

Modable gear that is added in 1.2 will have a chance to be learned if you win a reverse engineer roll in a group. This does not include pvp gear keep in mind. Custom gear can not be reverse engineered, however several new schematics have been added that can be found through crafting missions (underworld trading for example). Most gear can now be reverse engineered to produce materials, for example the lv14 green gloves that dropped for you off trash in athiss will reverse engineer into rubat crystals. There is a chance with blue/green gear that when you reverse engineer them for mats you might research a basic green schematic of that gear that you can then craft.

"Armormech crafters may now reverse engineer almost any modifiable outfit into an empty custom (orange) shell of the same name and appearance, which may now gain an augment slot when crafted with critical success."

So, they didn't mean oranges they meant purples with the locked in armor slot?

That's insane. I'm not saying that you are wrong. It's just insane.

I understand that some people seem to think orange custom gear is now vendor trash, however in a future update, post 1.2 crafters will be able to add augment slots to this gear, however the details of how we will do this have not been released. My theory is that we will be able to crit craft purple augments to orange augments that can be added to any gear in place of an augment slot.

(tin hat time) If people are looking for ways to get ahead of the game and make some serious credits I would advise learning as many custom schematics as possible. When 1.2 comes out craft like crazy custom gear, when you proc an augment slot put that gear on the GTN. However keep all the non-crit crafted orange gear in your bank until we have the ability to add augment slots, when that happens augment all that custom gear in your bank and put it on the GTN.

I am going to try and make sense of the insanity for you :)

One thing they do not want is for purple gear to become glorified loot bags. Basically we roll on every purple we see and rip those mods out and put them into our custom gear, then reverse engineer what is left for mods and schematics (I call this loot cannibalism).

The system we have ended up with is people will be running around in a variety of gear (I call this loot hybridity). Most people will be wearing purple belts/bracers/boots/gloves and custom augmented chest/legs. The only way to get augmented custom boots/gloves will be through reverse engineering purples to proc augmented orange shells. There will be no way to get augmented custom bracers/belts, but we can still craft purple augmented belts/bracers.

There is allot more variety in gear options under loot hybridity then under loot cannibalism.