1.2 Gear Makes Me Want to Set My Eyeballs on Fire

CharleyDanger

Here is a link with some pics of the 1.2 PvE/PvP and legacy gear. It also has good info on the cost and value of the gear.

http://feature.mmosite.com/swtor/patch_1.2_new_armors.shtml

With the exception of maybe some of the Sith Warrior gear, Im speechless. Does Bioware hate the Republic? How could they make it even worse than the current gear? I did not think it to be possible. I swear the Jedi Knight/Consular PvP gear looks like a child's finger painting.

The Empire did not escape the horror that is the 1.2 gear. The PvP Agent looks like Lady GaGa if she was playing for the 1986 Tampa Bay Bucs. The BH now has handle bar shoulder pads, and the Inquisitor looks like... I dont even know... it gave me a headache, Im gonna go lay down.

The legacy gear looks ok, but its just the lvl 20/40 PvP/FP gear in a different color!!!

I know that SWTOR is set 1k years before the OT, but this garbage dose not belong in the SW galaxy. I dont care if it was 100 billion years before the OT. Ugly *** gear is ugly *** gear regardless of where it fits into the timeline.

EDIT: Who am I to criticize someone's artistic design? Im sure someone worked really hard on the 1.2 designs. Yet even though the game is set so far back from the OT, I still do not think its Star Wars in essence. Imo it just does not fit. Maybe in some other game, but not in the Star Wars universe. If you polled all the Star Wars fans I would think that the vast majority would disapprove of the 1.2 gear. More than half the reason for this games success is the fact that it is a Star Wars game. I say put it in the fans hands. Do a design contest and let the Star Wars fans vote. Bioware is trying to put too much of their own flavor in this game.

Edited by CharleyDanger

I have to say, the Inquisitor endgame PvE armor looks ridiculous with the metal hooks. You'd always get hung up against something just by walking around. Especially in a place like your own capital planet, DK with all its vegetation. I will say I like the green and black scheme a lot better than the various orange themed imperial armors.

Ah well, to each their own.

As a Jedi Consular I like our PvP armor a lot.

These types of things are always subjective. I won't deny that perhaps a majority of the players don't like the new designs. But not all of us hate them.

To appease more players, I wonder if they should open discussions with the community and ask for design input. It would be interesting to see what armor they would create if this happened - then it would be even more interesting to see if people were more (or less) pleased with the outcome.

Yeah I think they're fine overall, and I'm a character designer for games (among other things).

These armor sets have a weirdness that appeals to concept artists (have you ever peeped in one's sketchbook? These sets are tame compared to that...). But the average person probably wants more conservative design or something.

Remember, silhouette is important when it comes to character design in games - being able to tell someone's class from a distance in PVP is a must. That's why endgame armor on almost ALL games tends to be weird-looking.

Make sense?

As for them not being star-wars-y enough? Psssh, not enough variety in "core star-wars-ey gear." If designers followed the movies more closely, we'd have people complaining that everything is too boring and there's not enough variation, etc... guarantee it.

Edited by Stenrik

Remember, silhouette is important when it comes to character design in games - being able to tell someone's class from a distance in PVP is a must. That's why endgame armor on almost ALL games tends to be weird-looking.

Make sense?

Actually, no that does not. There are plenty of games where PvP is not broken because everyone of a given class does not look the same. With appearance slots in many modern games, people look however they choose to. Clearly it is not a must.

Seeing a character's animation, cast bar, the name of the skill they're using is more useful information than looking at their armor. It will tell you what spec they're using and if you know the game, you'll know a lot about what they can and can't do.

Edited by Ibliss

Yeah I think they're fine overall, and I'm a character designer for games (among other things).

For that reason these gears stinks to high heaven. Because the people who

work on MMOs are as clueless as the day is long when it comes to what the players want.

In this game we want star wars not garbage power ranger samurai optimus prime on crack

wow/assassins creed rip off. STAR WARS ......................................................................

For that reason these gears stinks to high heaven. Because the people who

work on MMOs are as clueless as the day is long when it comes to what the players want.

In this game we want star wars not garbage power ranger samurai optimus prime on crack

wow/assassins creed rip off. STAR WARS ......................................................................

The job of concept artists is to push the envelope. That's the job of ANY artist, musician, whatever. If they don't, they are accused of being stale and will have a hard time getting work. They have to take risks - either people will not like it or they'll say "Ooo that's different!" or "Uuuh, that's pretty weird." Better than "seen that already."

As I said above:

"If designers followed the movies very closely, we'd have people complaining that everything is too boring and there's not enough variation, etc... guarantee it."

Also, your bleeding desire for something to look "Star Wars" needs to be broken down.

--What DOES make something look "star wars" to you?

--Watch the movies, OT, prequels, whatever. Then come back and tell me what YOU would want to wear from them. Most of what the characters wear is gear you wouldn't want past level 20. Much of it is humble and simple. (Unless you count Boba Fett, Vader maybe...?) Storm troopers are cool, and I think the designers did well with catching the trooper essence in this game. But still, Boba and troopers in the movies look "low level" compared to what most people want in this game. Smugglers? Han's a cool character but what he wears is very boring to most people. I applaud the artists for dipping into bomber pilot and wild west influences to help spice it up.

--Star wars is fantasy in a galactic setting, simple as that. It's not hard scifi. If you don't think it's mystical, look at the abilities of sorcs and sages. (Which I think were going to be called Wizards at one point if I'm not mistaken.)

So having these very mystical, sort-of-religious people wear odd robes inspired by fantasy games and historical/modern religious figures is PERFECTLY fitting.

I would go so far as to say that the combination between sci-fi and fantasy if one of the reasons Star Wars has been so successful to begin with!

--One of the identifying characteristics of Star Wars is that it's a "lived in" universe. Vehicles tend to be a little beat up. People use, wear, and live in stuff that's clearly been around for awhile. It gives the world character. I do agree they went overboard beating up the current sage endgame gear though. However having stuff be new and shiny USUALLY doesn't fit Star Wars. I actually think the new gear is a little bit too colorful to be honest.

--Wild outfits ARE possible in the Star Wars universe. Just look at some of the extras in the movies, or even Queen Amidala if you wanna go there. The endgame stuff isn't any weirder than what she wore. Sure she didn't run around fighting in the stuff, but the "look" is still there.

So, again, to all the people who really want to look star-wars-ey:

Just mod out a brown level 20 robe and move on.

Also, pick up the "art of" book to get some insight into the design decisions for gear.

Edited by Stenrik

So, again, to all the people who really want to look star-wars-ey:

Just mod out a brown level 20 robe and move on.

Guess what, for inquisitors, thats barely an option either. Since even lvl 20 gear looks bad for the most part.

--Wild outfits ARE possible in the Star Wars universe. Just look at some of the extras in the movies, or even Queen Amidala if you wanna go there. The endgame stuff isn't any weirder than what she wore. Sure she didn't run around fighting in the stuff, but the "look" is still there.

Why dont you look what she actually wore when she went out "on the field" in episode 2?

I agree with the topic. I hate being force-fed stuff. At least refund me the hundreds of thousands of credits I will spend pulling the mods out of the endgame gear. Its supposed to be a bloody reward, dammit.

Edited by Karkais

Here is a link with some pics of the 1.2 PvE/PvP and legacy gear. It also has good info on the cost and value of the gear.

http://feature.mmosite.com/swtor/patch_1.2_new_armors.shtml

With the exception of maybe some of the Sith Warrior gear, Im speechless. Does Bioware hate the Republic? How could they make it even worse than the current gear? I did not think it to be possible. I swear the Jedi Knight/Consular PvP gear looks like a child's finger painting.

The Empire did not escape the horror that is the 1.2 gear. The PvP Agent looks like Lady GaGa if she was playing for the 1986 Tampa Bay Bucs. The BH now has handle bar shoulder pads, and the Inquisitor looks like... I dont even know... it gave me a headache, Im gonna go lay down.

The legacy gear looks ok, but its just the lvl 20/40 PvP/FP gear in a different color!!!

I know that SWTOR is set 1k years before the OT, but this garbage dose not belong in the SW galaxy. I dont care if it was 100 billion years before the OT. Ugly *** gear is ugly *** gear regardless of where it fits into the timeline.

EDIT: Who am I to criticize someone's artistic design? Im sure someone worked really hard on the 1.2 designs. Yet even though the game is set so far back from the OT, I still do not think its Star Wars in essence. Imo it just does not fit. Maybe in some other game, but not in the Star Wars universe. If you polled all the Star Wars fans I would think that the vast majority would disapprove of the 1.2 gear. More than half the reason for this games success is the fact that it is a Star Wars game. I say put it in the fans hands. Do a design contest and let the Star Wars fans vote. Bioware is trying to put too much of their own flavor in this game.

Good thing you can wear one of like 20 moddable sets instead. Kinda making this post silly.

Frankly those are awful.

Those are about as Star Warsy and iconic as a pink wookie riding a bantha with wooden armor on down the center of Theed.

Cmon, you know what I'm talking about.

Ahaha SWG rocked.

However it was a sandbox, and that was one of the greatest thinga bout it. You could be a pink wookie if you wanted to be.

All things considered, I find the 1.2 gear to be an improvement. Apart from the troopers and Darth Vader in the SW movies I can't remember seeing any real armor on display. It could be argued Darth Vaders armour was meant to be more life support than armour.

I don't remember Luke, Obi Wan, Ani or any other force user from the films armored up to the teeth, I always had the view that force users didn't need armor, force manipulation negated the need for it.

My complaint about gear in SW:TOR was more mismatch then look, a trooper should not have to run around in 4 different colours of armour, it's ascetically ugly. Jedi have the Eastern martial arts look, and I believe, should progress along the Shogun warrior path in looks. Sith perhaps more along the tech type, Vader life support look as the dark side corrupts their bodies.

Th OP suggests players submitting their own designs for gear which might be a good idea at some point, that would be great for player involvement, but not everyone has great artistic talent. As the OP hasn't submitted any designs for criticism I'm guessing he/she isn't artistically talented.

Edited by Gazzaho

Something I think that is over looked in how ornate and "exotic" they are trying to go for, belied the simplistic and functional aspect of gear worn in battle.

Yes Jedi/Sith/force users have their robes and what not but how many times do you see them take off their robes/capes THEN engage in a fight?

Yoda and Duku/Emperor - removed capes

Obi-won, Anikan and Duku - removed capes

Quigon, Obi-won and Darth Maul - removed capes

(Vader and Luke dual is the only exception)

BHs, they are attired/geared to be ready for a conflict at any time, and have to be, Jedi/Force users can afford the time to stand off before engaging because that is part of the posturing.

Agents and smugglers have to be "ready" at all times as well.

I don't see that in the thought process of the renderings. Yeah it looks great but it isn't functional.

Impractical for it's actuall application.

The Sith maybe because they are very prideful, but not the Jedi.

However with the current wannabe Samurai armor avaible I feel as though it is a disgrace to Samurai armor as a whole.

Something that I fine appealing but actually see little of is the Jedi at the center of the loading screen. That look is to me awesome. There is homage to the Jedi simplicity but he is still wearing armor and his cape...Where is the armor for we Jedi in game? There is similar but to me it is has to much flare.

Jedi aren't about their look, they are supposed to "blend in". Sith stand out, BHs' can stand out or blend in, smugglers want to go unnoticed, unless they are cocky. (Han's look was a quasi homage to his Imperial roots/uniform) yet he doesn't want to draw attention to himself.

Agents aren't meant to be conspicuous either. They are meant to blend in and operate "behind the curtain" as well.

Edited by CeiLican