Just some facts about female gamers

kalarigamerchic

I kind of feel like generalizations such as this is detrimental to female gamers. Everyone is different. I know some very girly gamers, I know some very emotional female gamers, and I know some ****** tomboy gamers.

I think people don't realize what the gaming industry has done. Gamers as a whole aren't viewed as a bunch of tabletop nerds sitting in a basement roleplaying, not anymore. There are so many different people from different walks of life that play these games and that includes girls now.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard they'll put a kitchen in starships in 1.3 :p

Please, don't ban me, I was just kidding :D

Man, I'd settle for a bathroom in a ship! Hey, they have them on the new Normandy! C'mon, BioWare! Put in a toilet for our Pixelated toons to use while onboard our ships. :p

honestly i only have one issue with girls who game - where can i find one? and is she free for dinner? ok that could be two things but whos counting ...

Answer to your first question, keep looking they are around where you least expect to find.

and yes that was two questions and yes I can count.

:p

I heard they'll put a kitchen in starships in 1.3 :p

Please, don't ban me, I was just kidding :D

That's great news! My husband and I were saying just the other day that as fun as TOR is, its one glaring fault was the lack of a cooking minigame!

;)

In my decades of gaming, I've met a lot of gamers, and really good ones are much rarer than pretty good ones. And given that a lot of women hide their gender online so they aren't pre-judged by people who assume that they'll never measure up, you can't actually say you've never met an exceptional woman gamer unless you ask every single person you ever game with what their gender is.

Which would be either creepy, or improbable. I'm going with the latter.

But even if you haven't met a really good woman gamer, that says more about your social life than about our playing abilities. It's not like we don't exist.

Whatever "good" means - is it DPS? Kills per raid? Bank balance? How much fun you have when you're with them? How long they've been gaming? Whether they do what you want them to or not? That time they managed to keep you alive even though you kept standing in the @$%^ fire like a Noob? Is someone who's really good at playing the way they want to play a lesser gamer because you think they should be playing your way? Your statement is essentially unquantifiable.

So if I haven't met a really good female gamer, it's because of my social life? K, got it.

In my decades of gaming, I've met a lot of gamers, and really good ones are much rarer than pretty good ones. And given that a lot of women hide their gender online so they aren't pre-judged by people who assume that they'll never measure up, you can't actually say you've never met an exceptional woman gamer unless you ask every single person you ever game with what their gender is.

Which would be either creepy, or improbable. I'm going with the latter.

But even if you haven't met a really good woman gamer, that says more about your social life than about our playing abilities. It's not like we don't exist.

Whatever "good" means - is it DPS? Kills per raid? Bank balance? How much fun you have when you're with them? How long they've been gaming? Whether they do what you want them to or not? That time they managed to keep you alive even though you kept standing in the @$%^ fire like a Noob? Is someone who's really good at playing the way they want to play a lesser gamer because you think they should be playing your way? Your statement is essentially unquantifiable.

Also, it is exactly quantifiable, if you would look at my statement more objectively, and not get so tied up in getting your own message across. I said that I had not met any - nothing more.

so coming off a bad couple of days where I didn't get much gaming in I figured no way this thread would still be going considering how "pointless" some deemed it.

Needless to say I am shocked, there were some really good reads, some really odd reads and some repeats of "oh she just wants attention." Id say go back and read but this darn thread is over 50 pages long now :eek:

So I repeat with a chuckle because after the week ive had getting angry just seems pointless.

1. This was tongue in cheek, I think most who took this thread seriously really did not read my whole OP even quoted it but did not see that it was not serious nor read things like "I am not an expert" And "Feel free to correct me if I am wrong" and "I do not speak for all females" but hey what ever I know I have selective read before and gone off on soap box tangents so :o

2. This was not to incite a gender war, I don't get why declaring I am female and talking about some misconceptions means anything like that but hey people take what they want out of what they read and until we all become borg I honestly can't expect people to understand the workings of my mind.

3. Some people are really good with the insults I have to say I laughed at some of the barbs, I know my grammar is not great, I often forget commas especially when getting long winded but definitely had to chuckle at my misspellings and other flaws pointed out by the more perfect forum posters.

4. Finally and seriously this was an attention post, any time I post on the forums its to showcase what I know or what I think I know, I honestly don't give a rat's hiney what others think of that either. If I did id be too timid to post period. I can roll with the punches so those getting all haughty over me posting this because "I am just seeking attention.." Well considering I do a pod cast I love to talk about gaming and I enjoy posting on forums yeah you pretty much summed up the attention part. So what do you want now? A cookie? I bake those to :)

To the G-spot ladies who continued to post while I was dealing with real life issues and to all who just had fun or even talked about what you gone threw thanks. I am glad some people are having fun in this thread that is what it was meant to be about. I can just laugh at the more angry folks I think if I had posted a thread saying "I like puppies" they would have found a reason to tear that down to so I am not going to get worked up over those posts.

Edited by kalarigamerchic

so coming off a bad couple of days where I didn't get much gaming in I figured no way this thread would still be going considering how "pointless" some deemed it.

Needless to say I am shocked, there were some really good reads, some really odd reads and some repeats of "oh she just wants attention." Id say go back and read but this darn thread is over 50 pages long now :eek:

So I repeat with a chuckle because after the week ive had getting angry just seems pointless.

1. This was tongue in cheek, I think most who took this thread seriously really did not read my whole OP even quoted it but did not see that it was not serious nor read things like "I am not an expert" And "Feel free to correct me if I am wrong" and "I do not speak for all females" but hey what ever I know I have selective read before and gone off on soap box tangents so :o

2. This was not to incite a gender war, I don't get why declaring I am female and talking about some misconceptions means anything like that but hey people take what they want out of what they read and until we all become borg I honestly can't expect people to understand the workings of my mind.

3. Some people are really good with the insults I have to say I laughed at some of the barbs, I know my grammar is not great, I often forget commas especially when getting long winded but definitely had to chuckle at my misspellings and other flaws pointed out by the more perfect forum posters.

4. Finally and seriously this was an attention post, any time I post on the forums its to showcase what I know or what I think I know, I honestly don't give a rat's hiney what others think of that either. If I did id be too timid to post period. I can roll with the punches so those getting all haughty over me posting this because "I am just seeking attention.." Well considering I do a pod cast I love to talk about gaming and I enjoy posting on forums yeah you pretty much summed up the attention part. So what do you want now? A cookie? I bake those to :)

To the G-spot ladies who continued to post while I was dealing with real life issues and to all who just had fun or even talked about what you gone threw thanks. I am glad some people are having fun in this thread that is what it was meant to be about. I can just laugh at the more angry folks I think if I had posted a thread saying "I like puppies" they would have found a reason to tear that down to so I am not going to get worked up over those posts.

So... this is you: http://stickerish.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/TrollFaceFemaleBlackSS.png

LOL. I'm sorry, but to me the original post seems like it was written by a guy who thinks he has a clue about women. I think a more appropriate title would have been "just some facts about one female gamer".

Well, one thing we're VERY aware of at The G Spot is that sexism in gaming is alive and well. I liked the point about attention seeking - after all isn't that what we're all doing to some extent?

Lighten up people, some of you are taking things WAY to seriously. That's how heart attacks happen!

Man, I'd settle for a bathroom in a ship! Hey, they have them on the new Normandy! C'mon, BioWare! Put in a toilet for our Pixelated toons to use while onboard our ships. :p

I had never noticed this before. Now it seems so obvious. I reckon it's been mislabelled 'emergency exit'. And with 6 crew members and one toilet, no wonder you can never get in there.

On the other hand, if I had to share a bathroom with Khem Val I think I'd just hold it and get used to spaceport loos. I bet the Inquisitor facilities run out of bog roll first.