Raise Server Population Caps

Posiden

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raising the population cap right now would be a bad idea.

New Joe logs into the game, has to choose a server. He sees 'full', 'medium' and 'low'.

What does he choose? Medium, of course, because he wants neither queues nor an empty server.

If BW raised the caps on the servers that are 'full' right now, they would all turn into 'medium', all the new joes would roll on them and they would be 'full' again in no time, this time for real.

Much better to keep the cap artifically low until all the new joes find a home on the 'low' servers, then raise the caps after the inital rush is done.

they're full though.... there is no hey let me choose a light server it's hey let me wait in queue for 2 hours or for 30 mins which do i want... every server has a queue they need to raise the cap. This is so rediculous especially when the game client crashes and you get put back in a 2 hour queue b/c of swtor failed....

I hope they find a fix to server queues too. But, I doubt they're going to start letting people move around any time soon.

They want full servers. They might increase the population caps a but to ease queues, but they won't be letting people mass migrate until server populations even out after the first FREE 30 days are done.

We're in for some queues until then folks. It sucks, but it's better for the health of the game long-term. =(

How do you figure?

People will get tired of waiting to play the game. Most people(of sane mind) Won't want to re-roll honestly because they put effort and time into a character which is decently leveled/progressed into the Chapters/Story/Whatever.

Why start all over in the same class? Oh make a new class? But what if you wanted to give your new character items from the senior character you made? Any of this sound familiar?

-_-; Point is, it won't kill the game but this won't make it exactly popular.

Work lol, you obviously do not realize the number of people that take off work just to play Call of Duty or Madden upon release are the same or higher that are going to the play the 1st Star Wars MMO

And you don't seem to relize that most of those players preordered. As in - aren't reason why suddenly all old servers are full.

I have to honestly say open up the server cap or open more additional servers.

This is day 2 , and sure end of the month maybe some servers are redundant ..

Cause of people quiting or bored , but then again it is the idea that this is a strong product.

And allow character transfer at the end of the month .

Incase some servers are dead servers , But waiting in a hour que is no fun and slightly unheroic !!

they're full though.... there is no hey let me choose a light server it's hey let me wait in queue for 2 hours or for 30 mins which do i want... every server has a queue they need to raise the cap. This is so rediculous especially when the game client crashes and you get put back in a 2 hour queue b/c of swtor failed....

Yes it sucks for the people who already have a character on the 'full'(currently) servers, and that includes me. My point is that increasing the cap right would solve nothing, the opposite, the server, now labelled 'medium' would draw new players like honey does bees, and you'd find yourself in a queue again pretty fast.

Best thing is wait out the initial rush and raise caps later, that way you hopefully have the population nicely spread over multiple medium(by then) servers.

And you don't seem to relize that most of those players preordered. As in - aren't reason why suddenly all old servers are full.

/seconded.

25 Minute queue = 57 minutes.

60 Minute queue = 1 hour, 49 minutes.

Server = Mind Trick.

Finally got in after a "25 minute" queue. Please refer to the chart above.

This is a joke, we're paying to queue. they don't mind taking our money for that? And please don't tell me that this is normal and that WoW was the same. WoW came out years ago, surely by now they should have learned from that and be more prepared. Especially as this is a SW game and it was always gonna be popular. It's amateurism of the highest caliber that we have to pay, yet can't play.

I know it sounds childish, but I have a 2 hour break from work, and am almost level 18. I was gonna play in my break and get lvl 18. but guess what??? an hour queue. and from what I'm reading around here, it'll end up being longer. Not on BW. Let us migrate to other servers or raise the caps, this is a joke!!! Don't just sit there doing nothing!!! and if you are doing something, we want to hear about it, we are your paying customers, we deserve to know.

This is a joke, we're paying to queue. they don't mind taking our money for that? And please don't tell me that this is normal and that WoW was the same. WoW came out years ago, surely by now they should have learned from that and be more prepared. Especially as this is a SW game and it was always gonna be popular. It's amateurism of the highest caliber that we have to pay, yet can't play.

I know it sounds childish, but I have a 2 hour break from work, and am almost level 18. I was gonna play in my break and get lvl 18. but guess what??? an hour queue. and from what I'm reading around here, it'll end up being longer. Not on BW. Let us migrate to other servers or raise the caps, this is a joke!!! Don't just sit there doing nothing!!! and if you are doing something, we want to hear about it, we are your paying customers, we deserve to know.

/Agree

I have to roll my eyes at this, games evolve and so does WoW, yet even WoW still has the que problems, especially after expansions. 5 years of progress isn't going to change longe ques at the opening of a game, it's just not! Anybody who thinks so is completely and absurdly unreasonable. This truly is to be expected, even today.

Edited by Jediwran

Yeah, you know, if I paid say £30 for it, like a did for skyrim, and then the game would be delayed a few hours on steam or something, or there would be a game breaking patch, I would not mind that much. I'm usually very patient, but I paid £40 for this, then another £15 for the Collector's edition, also had to buy a £13 early access code on ebay in order to play. then add £9 on top of that for the first month. so that's £77 for something I can't play.

This really bothers me and if I was BW, I would be ashamed.

I have to roll my eyes at this, games evolve and so does WoW, yet even WoW still has the que problems, especially after expansions. 5 years of progress isn't going to change longe ques at the opening of a game, it's just not! Anybody who thinks so is completely and absurdly unreasonable.

ok, you don't get me. I know that the game has a lot of players at launch, the queues are to be expected. but in this case, there's plenty of "light" servers around and we have to stay stuck in "full" servers. so obviously, there's servers out there that would accommodate those from full servers and balance the whole thing out. but no, we have to stay put.

It's not like there's nowhere to migrate, there's servers out there, let us move!!! It's not like all the servers are full and there's no solution to this problem.

Over 70+ US servers and most of them have queues.

I've already gotten my Trooper through Coruscant, I don't want to re-roll. Please do something to fix this issue.

Thanks.

They arent going to do this till after the majority of the population creates their characters tonight around 6 or 7.

Otherwise it would have been pointless.

And this restricting access thing is brilliant and will help the community in the long term.

Stop thinking in terms of hours and start thinking in terms of years.

Over 70+ US servers and most of them have queues.

I've already gotten my Trooper through Coruscant, I don't want to re-roll. Please do something to fix this issue.

Thanks.

signed. Full server should mean full, not almost empty. The zones are sparsely populated.

ok, you don't get me. I know that the game has a lot of players at launch, the queues are to be expected. but in this case, there's plenty of "light" servers around and we have to stay stuck in "full" servers. so obviously, there's servers out there that would accommodate those from full servers and balance the whole thing out. but no, we have to stay put.

It's not like there's nowhere to migrate, there's servers out there, let us move!!! It's not like all the servers are full and there's no solution to this problem.

Oh I got you just fine.

signed. Full server should mean full, not almost empty. The zones are sparsely populated.

That might actually be a problem of instancing kicking in too early instead of a general server population problem. I do agree though, many zones seem very empty and not much MMOy.

No, just no. If they raise the caps to no queue more people will keep rolling on the higher population servers and you will have queues again.

They need to keep the pop caps down to spread out the population then raise them in a few weeks to lessen the queues.

On my server full means full. There is several instances of each zone with 150 to 200 people in each instance (counting only sith players). The queue is usually around 20 to 30 mins. I have occasionally been in a new instance that was formed where there is only a few people, because the other instances of the zone are full.

Go to your map and look at the little drop down box in the lower right that shows how many instances are currently active. You are probably in one of several, unless you are in the very upper levels where most people have yet to reach.

Edited by Fellthar