Future playable species

Shlamorel

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've wanted to play as a Cathar since I first heard about SWTOR. And they have plenty of them in the game as NPCs. So Cathar is my first want, and my second would be Togruta. The problem I forsee is that if they introduce one race that is Republic aligned, they would have to also include one that is Imperial aligned, and as far as I can tell, both of the races I want primarily identify as Republic. I don't have any ideas for an Imperial species that is near-human enough to remain consistent with Bioware's philosophy on player character race and to have enough customization options to be unique.

But if Cathar comes out on the Republic side, I'll take one to level 50 just to reroll my main Imperial character as a Cathar.

The Empire already has 3 faction-specific races.

Chiss, Pureblood, Rattataki

Republic has 2.

Mirilian, Miraluka

so adding Cathar as a Republic race would balance out the equation in my book.

Looking at some qualifiers of what could reasonably be added as species: not only able to, but prone to speaking basic, along with humanoid body proportions.

Those probably capable of fitting their head in traditional headgear.

Cathar

Duros

Nikto (And its various sub-species)

Sullustan

Weequay

Those who might have to replace the ability to wear headgear with the ability to customize head adornments during character creation.

Chagrian

Devaronian

Kaleesh

Kel Dor

Nautolan

Rodian

Togruta

Now for something a bit different. A big factor in limiting certain species is that they are outrageous enough that that becomes a character's defining characteristic. If a Trandoshan walks in, it doesn't matter what he's carrying, he going to be recognized as a Trandoshan first and foremost. Now, say down the line, since class story is so woven with the character, the game introduced a new class or two based on that fact. Just as 'Cyborg' is considered a 'Species', there could be a 'Droid' class, following the story of a unique droid that stands out from the rest. Or a 'Pirate' or 'Enforcer' class that follows a being of peculiar species. Then maybe we can dip into the more outlandish beings.

Gen'Dai

Houk

Trandoshan

Wookiee

I'm sure future expansions will bring more playable species into the mix. They just have to fit into BioWares criteria for playable species: 1. able to speak Basic 2. able to be romanceable(so near human or humanoid species)

Yeah. Wookies probably won't make the cut because they cannot be Jedi, per GL's strict enforcement as well as has been said by LA that there will never be Yoda's race given center stage in a game.

As for the criteria, there are reasons for races to choose to not speak basic, even though they can. Rodians are a good example. They can speak basic, but would have a heavy accent.

As for romancable, there are already cases in Canon of humans and near-humans getting with non-humans. Corran Horn had a fling with a Selonian and One of the Darklighters was very close to a Bothan.

Point is that they species that Bioware says would be weird and freaky aren't weird and freaky when you step back and think how long these various species have already been coexisting.

Yeah. Wookies probably won't make the cut because they cannot be Jedi, per GL's strict enforcement as well as has been said by LA that there will never be Yoda's race given center stage in a game.

As for the criteria, there are reasons for races to choose to not speak basic, even though they can. Rodians are a good example. They can speak basic, but would have a heavy accent.

As for romancable, there are already cases in Canon of humans and near-humans getting with non-humans. Corran Horn had a fling with a Selonian and One of the Darklighters was very close to a Bothan.

Point is that they species that Bioware says would be weird and freaky aren't weird and freaky when you step back and think how long these various species have already been coexisting.

Umm, actually, Wookiees HAVE been Jedi in the past, and even in the YJK series set in the future. Chewbacca's nephew Lowbacca is a Jedi Knight, in fact.

I really dont see why bioware wont put a larger variety of PLAYABLE species like yoda's or wookies.

This is an MMO and even more so it is a STAR WARS mmo, a universe packed with characters of all shapes and sizes, most people who watched the first cgi trailer for TOR had expectations of a vast world where you could play as anything, do anything you wanted from the star wars lore.

Ive never played world of warcraft but im well aware of the variety of characters in it, yoda I guess would be the equivelant of a dwarf-type (speaking character height/design wise) why would it be so hard to put them as playable characters?

It would be amazing, instead of seeing humans in different custom skins with slight alterations, the most exotic atm being twileks who lets face is are just humans from japanse **** (i kid i kid).

1 of kotor's biggest strengths imo was when you could switch to the perspective of your companion, this was because it was so cool how you could really feel you were playing as an astro droid or playing as zaalbar the wookie or even hk-47 himself, the variety rocked hardcore, and if they put a crossbow wielding wookie class into TOR id start one immediatly and play it to 50 as a main character, and I can promise you im not alone.

https://bk4goa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pVRE4i7bqtkwW_2SQ-wunD46fLtgdLVqEOc4pGjTGc3bMeGs3-RAOBZobsv4dGZ5HQtUw_RaOqOw/KotOR%20FLU%20006.jpg

Oh Damn I mean imagine playing a a dark side wookie Powertech, would be f-ing kickass awesome!

and dont worry too much about the vioce acting, im sure they could spam bear sounds over with subtitles and we wouldnt mind too much. *mrrrraaaaawrrrrrrr rrrr*

p.s

And just fyi, I really loved the whole idea behind the pureblood sith, they are by far the best species in the game at the moment, but star wars has a lot more to offer that bioware and ea arent taking into account yet.

I agree with you - they should put those different species.

But when you think of the roadblocks... are they going go back and add unique voice acting for every class for a single species?

Think of it like this: right now, your character's voice is based on your Class - not your species.

This means if they add non-human species, whoever they hire as a voice actor will have to go back and voice record for every single class storyline.

From a practical standpoint, I don't see this being feasible. But I certainly hope that it's something they consider in the future. Some posters in this thread have given some good ways to get around that - hopefully they could be implemented :)

Looking at some qualifiers of what could reasonably be added as species: not only able to, but prone to speaking basic, along with humanoid body proportions.

Those probably capable of fitting their head in traditional headgear.

Cathar

Duros

Nikto (And its various sub-species)

Sullustan

Weequay

Those who might have to replace the ability to wear headgear with the ability to customize head adornments during character creation.

Chagrian

Devaronian

Kaleesh

Kel Dor

Nautolan

Rodian

Togruta

Now for something a bit different. A big factor in limiting certain species is that they are outrageous enough that that becomes a character's defining characteristic. If a Trandoshan walks in, it doesn't matter what he's carrying, he going to be recognized as a Trandoshan first and foremost. Now, say down the line, since class story is so woven with the character, the game introduced a new class or two based on that fact. Just as 'Cyborg' is considered a 'Species', there could be a 'Droid' class, following the story of a unique droid that stands out from the rest. Or a 'Pirate' or 'Enforcer' class that follows a being of peculiar species. Then maybe we can dip into the more outlandish beings.

Gen'Dai

Houk

Trandoshan

Wookiee

Wow thanks for all this :)

Unrelated to your response, I would give ANYTHING to be a Yoda species. Sigh :( :(

Umm, actually, Wookiees HAVE been Jedi in the past, and even in the YJK series set in the future. Chewbacca's nephew Lowbacca is a Jedi Knight, in fact.

Yes and that caused Lucas to lay down the word of god in the Star Wars universe that there will never be another Wookie Jedi. So it has happened once, and as a result it will never happen again.

Yes and that caused Lucas to lay down the word of god in the Star Wars universe that there will never be another Wookie Jedi. So it has happened once, and as a result it will never happen again.

You mean George came down from his golden throne and deigned to stick his nose into the Expanded Universe just long enough to say THAT???? :D

Hehe, I just want to play my Hutt Sith Assassin... There is nothing like a huge slug who has a double-bladed lightsaber that can silently jump out of shadows and stab enemies in the back with it! :D :D :D

On the serious note, I believe that the current list of species is quite adequate. Most of the people play either Pureblood Sith, Human or Twi'lek anyways.

By the way, if you want your ideas to be heard, post them into "Suggestion Box". When you post it into "Story and Lore" category, it cannot reach the developers.

Edited by Jedlosson

I agree with you - they should put those different species.

But when you think of the roadblocks... are they going go back and add unique voice acting for every class for a single species?

Think of it like this: right now, your character's voice is based on your Class - not your species.

This means if they add non-human species, whoever they hire as a voice actor will have to go back and voice record for every single class storyline.

From a practical standpoint, I don't see this being feasible. But I certainly hope that it's something they consider in the future. Some posters in this thread have given some good ways to get around that - hopefully they could be implemented :)

Id love to play as a wookie NO MATTER WHAT!

If they spent like what was it... 50m on vioce acting? im positive a few bear sounds over and over wouldnt be too hard, I mean I wouldnt even care if they used every word a wookie says in the game already and made those the viocing of your wookie toon in any random order.

As long as your a wookie, u sound like a wookie, u have a cool unique emote like ralley but say.. idk... tearing the arms off your ship droid...? as long as we get to play as one it would be so sweet. the mechanics in combat... I mean playing a wookie smuggler fits, playing a wookie bounty hunter fits, even playing a jedi wookie makes sense, this is star wars, not some crap where nothing is possible.

Also about the whole yoda species thing... if george lucas created something like jaja binks, and let u play as gunguns in star wars battlefront 2... and play as yoda himself in soul calibur 4... im betting its not as tight as people suspect, and nothing is set in stone that will say itll never happen.

playing as wookies better get implemented or I might aswell go unsubscribe from swtor, unbox my super star wars for snes from the attic and play the chewbacca levels.

Edited by RioNHale

I was sad to find I couldnt make a Kel Dor consular.

I was surprised that Cathars are not a playable race on the republic side. They seemed like they could fit in all the possible clothes and armor.

I am also surprised Bith and Duros are not playable. I think its because in the SW universe they never spoke common (with the exception of Cade Bane).

All the humaniods that spoke common but had thinks on their heads should be playable the same way twi'leks are.

and why do we not have weequays?!?

I'm sure future expansions will bring more playable species into the mix. They just have to fit into BioWares criteria for playable species: 1. able to speak Basic 2. able to be romanceable(so near human or humanoid species)

Wookiees(you spelled it wrong) probably won't make the cut as they do not meet the criteria and honestly as awesome as they might be, could you really sit through a whole class story filled with grunts,growls,roars and subtitle translations? Yoda's species will NEVER be playable in this game or any other(aside from playing Yoda himself in some games), we don't even have a name for them and George Lucas zealously maintains a tight grip on them in lore. Even after GL kicks the bucket his will has the SWU on a pretty short leash and you won't see playable Yoda species.

One of the coolest things in star wars is that there are so many languages that people need to know to survive. Also, are there not many npcs that already do not speak basic but have subtitles that must be read to understand what is being said? That in and of itself proves that Speaking Basic is not required for a playable species. There should not be limits to playable races simply from a language barrier. This game has massive potential to get right what soe effed up with galaxies, and one of their big features was character customization. If BW doesn't release new playable species frequently, they can kiss many sw lore fans goodbye, myself included, because i fully EXPECT to be able to play a Wookiee Sith Lord if i so choose for my $15 subscription.

Bottom Line: If it can be an NPC in the sw universe, it can be a playable character in the sw universe.

Also, if the BW team is not planning on recording new sound content, then where do future story quests come in for content releases? There is absolutely no reason that exotic species cannot be implemented to the game if BW is as dedicated to excellence as they claim.

BW needs to either add in one or two Every major patch, or release as many, if not more, as at game release to keep the options flowing. Wookiee, Rodian, Kel'dor, Cerean, Nautolan, Gand, Nikto, Mon Calamari, Bothan, Trandoshan... I'm sorry, but if you can program Ugnaughts who speak into the game, i don't want to see any more 'it can't be done' crap from anyone else. It can, and it needs to, and i for one think that it will, but it hasn't yet.

Am I the only one who want's the Arkanian Offshot which are a spieces in the comic Knights of The Old Republic? Here is Jarael, an Arkanian offshot!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jarael

Arkanian Offshot

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Arkanian_Offshoot

I like that race mostly because it resembles the elves in World of Warcraft and any other fantasy rpg. Or just Arkanian would be awesome as well. Wouldn't be too hard to put them in as a race in Swtor as they almost a direct opposite of the chiss spieces!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Arkanian

And just put the whole world of Arkanian in the Swtor would be awesome if you know the lore behind them. Would be an awesome new planet, new race and a new starting point for both empire and republic!

Also, if the BW team is not planning on recording new sound content, then where do future story quests come in for content releases? There is absolutely no reason that exotic species cannot be implemented to the game if BW is as dedicated to excellence as they claim.

BW needs to either add in one or two Every major patch, or release as many, if not more, as at game release to keep the options flowing. Wookiee, Rodian, Kel'dor, Cerean, Nautolan, Gand, Nikto, Mon Calamari, Bothan, Trandoshan... I'm sorry, but if you can program Ugnaughts who speak into the game, i don't want to see any more 'it can't be done' crap from anyone else. It can, and it needs to, and i for one think that it will, but it hasn't yet.

+1 great posts both of them Kjorren, in total agreement.

One of the coolest things in star wars is that there are so many languages that people need to know to survive. Also, are there not many npcs that already do not speak basic but have subtitles that must be read to understand what is being said? That in and of itself proves that Speaking Basic is not required for a playable species. There should not be limits to playable races simply from a language barrier. This game has massive potential to get right what soe effed up with galaxies, and one of their big features was character customization. If BW doesn't release new playable species frequently, they can kiss many sw lore fans goodbye, myself included, because i fully EXPECT to be able to play a Wookiee Sith Lord if i so choose for my $15 subscription.

Bottom Line: If it can be an NPC in the sw universe, it can be a playable character in the sw universe.

Nice post and in a perfect world that would hold true, unfortunately what you think about species and if they should be playable or not doesn't apply to the game. Google some of the many quotes out there from devs about their criteria for playable species.

These quotes from Daniel Erickson help out(to be fair it is from PAX East '10):

"Namely that lead characters in an RPG must be something the player can relate to. There has never been a movie or major Star Wars series with a complete freak job as the lead and that’s because dramatically it doesn’t work. We don’t understand what it means to be a giant lizard or a droid or a walking ball of jelly. We love the weird characters but they are always the sidekicks, not the emotional connection in the movie. To do an RPG that way every NPC you ran into would have to react to you depending on their own cultural bias and the entire “into the strange” adventure that is Star Wars would be lost as you would be the strangest thing in the room. People would constantly be asking you for information about your weird species and their emotional content that the vast majority of players simply wouldn’t have and their ability to really BE this character would be nil."

"It’s okay to turn to your companions and say “What are you supposed to be?” It’s not okay to look in the mirror and say that."

Now to be completely fair to your point of view, he did open the door a crack to playing as the "crazy looking"species but it looks like the conditions on it are pretty tough to overcome currently and in the near future:

"In the future I can see a day where we would do a Trandoshan or Wookiee type story but it would have to be just that. Not a simple graphic swap where now your smuggler is a giant lizard man and nobody notices but a full class story where you learn what it means to be this strange alien and deal with the rest of the galaxy and their reactions. For the present, however, our heroes are our projections of self, headed into a galaxy of wonders and adventures."

So the door isn't completely shut on any of the species in the SWU becoming playable, for the time being it looks to be limited to humanoid or near human type species.

Just a little side note: just because you subscribe to the game doesn't mean BW is forced to cave to your demands, break lore and allow you a playable Sith Lord Wookiee or whatever you and others want to see. Sure, they'd be smart to take the "temperature" of their subscribers,see what they want to see in the game and implement it if feasible( look up Wall of Crazy) or a good idea but they aren't going to bow to everyone's wishes simply because they subscribe. It doesn't work that way.

Edited by Temeluchus

This is a great thread with tons of great ideas. Let's all just remember that the game has only been out for a hand full of months and most MMORPGS dont see any class/race additions for a year or so.

Still, I'm excited to see what they end up doing. I'm hoping for Rodian!

That really is confusing about how understanding all the languages works, I may make a post on that specifically

Kaleesh are much different to humans in appearance as are those guys with tall heads who tend to be tall and thin can't remember what they're called. Also a Hutt Imperial Operative would be amazing. Races in WoW look incredibly different to eachother, you have the delicate bunny-hop Blood Elves, the massive beastly Tauren, the tinkering gnomes, the fat pandas which will be coming, and the scary Undead I could go on and on about it. There is not much difference between species in SWTOR but remember it's Star Wars not Lord of the Rings.

Kaleesh are much different to humans in appearance as are those guys with tall heads who tend to be tall and thin can't remember what they're called. Also a Hutt Imperial Operative would be amazing. Races in WoW look incredibly different to eachother, you have the delicate bunny-hop Blood Elves, the massive beastly Tauren, the tinkering gnomes, the fat pandas which will be coming, and the scary Undead I could go on and on about it. There is not much difference between species in SWTOR but remember it's Star Wars not Lord of the Rings.

would be incredibly funny playing as a yoda species character, be just like running around as a gnome back in the day.