35m Range for a SNIPER seem absolutley ABSURD to anyone else?

ViciousFett

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a game. Do you expect the sniper rifles in this game to hit a target at 1200m?

Seriously? Is it either/or?

5 meter advantage from a sniper rifle is silly, that doesn't mean it's gotta be 1200. An extra 5 meters would be meaningful, and frankly, Snipers suffer enough defensive drawbacks and utility drawbacks that it's easily justified.

35m is not enough. Considering that that our functional "sniper" range is around 32-33m, it takes a half second for our target to "jump on us/pull us in" or leave our line of sight. Our ability timers are far longer than how much time it takes for a target to mitigate our range "advantage".

Having that extra 5m actually does little for achieving sniper-like game play; what does is having a tank (or someone else) to distract our target while you shoot at around 25-30m. (I only PVP.)

With a 40m range, however, our functional range would be around 36-37m, and then we could really start getting into sniper-like game play.

If range is not extended, then just put us a 30m. 35m is just insulting.

well the problem would be that other AC players would start to complain... especially the range dps that we would out range and will find it difficult to approach us, and they would cry NERF! 35meters to all abilities would extend our true damage 5 meters out and would make it a bit more difficult to others to approach. 5 extra meters of range (40/35 in total against 35/30 now) would be only possible if it was a trait, maybe the top trait in mm tree. or people would cry NERF.

The actual problem of our class /AC (MM) is that developers either thinking we are the best balanced class they were ever create, and that's why we had to come to 1.2 to make any changes in it, or they know we need something extra but don't know how to give it because of the mess they already created in our mechanics...

If we can speak of prior experience a major overhaul to our class (similar to sentinels/marauders) would be possible after extensive wyning at 1.3

Hello fellow Snipers! Actually I'm your "mirror" class the Gunslinger, but I thought I'd toss my .02 in here :)

I completely 100% agree that we should have various stances like every other class and a 40+ meter range!

We have zero heals and very little survivability/escape tactics (some cc yes, but nothing that pretty much every class in the game has) imo and when someone else really has their mind set on killing us 1v1 or GvG it doesn't matter...we're usually gonna end up dead.

So my thoughts are...we should be able to drop someone at range just as fast as our brothers the Scoundrel/Operative do at melee. We don't have stealth, force run, heals, and our KB sux cause only useable from cover...ALL WE HAVE IS OUR RANGE! So up our lethality and effectiveness as a ranged DPS class (all 3 trees are DPS trees). Just let us be what we're meant to be!

Healers, tanks, stealthers, melee DPS classes get marked in pvp all the time due to their effectiveness and havok their causing for the opposing team. When was the last time you saw a Sniper or GS marked? That speaks for itself.

Swtor is not real life is why. Yiu need balance and that includes having the same range as other ranged classes

Because we have the same defense and offense when they get into melee range or into gap closing range as they do?

Or do you mean by "balance", "negatives only shared among snipers"?

No but it would be nice to have a 40m range at least considering the poor defensive abilites the class has. That is 40m on ALL ranged attacks.

considering the poor defensive abilites

poor defensive abilites

Pahaha, we've got more crowd control than Batman

EDIT: And no, more range would be unbalanced. We're already immune to charges, interrupts and grapples while staying at 35m range. What else do you want, snipers to be realistic and one-hit people too?

If you want realism, the Force users would win almost every confrontation, so you'd better reroll.

Edited by VampireGranny

It's a game. Do you expect the sniper rifles in this game to hit a target at 1200m?

agreed, would you rather have someone shooting at u from only 30m away or someone thts all the way across the entire wz, lol. I think 30-35m is a pretty good range in my opinion... yep

anyway, I know this is off topic, but, everyone keeps comparing the launch of swtor to the launch of wow. I, myself, didnt play wow in general and was wondering if the launch of wow really was practically the same or close to the launch of swtor. If anyone thinks tht I should just put it in a different thread or something of tht nature I will... just say something and I'll edit all this out :)

Our sniper rifles not having the extreme range of a real sniper rifle is just as ridiculous as the lightsaber classes not being able to kill something with a single successful strike from their LASER SWORD.

Exactly. How about this: Snipers can be given a 1000m range. They will also be able to drop targets with a single well-placed headshot. However, all jedi classes will be warned through the force that the attack is coming, and will instinctively block the shot with their lightsaber. They will then do a force-speed burst (and all force-using classes will now get this ability, along with saber throw, force push/pull, and force leap) to close the gap, and decapitate your sniper in one slash. All without breaking a sweat. After all, anything else starts sounding unrealistic.

Seriously, though, I think a 40m range would be OK, but only while you're in cover.

35 is fine, actually it's excellent. Problem is that it doesn't count for all abilities. Not such a big deal for marksman, but as lethality I can't even use my key setups cus they're only 30m range, therefore losing the whole point of being a sniper. There needs to be consistency. Edited by Sinsavz

1. Increasing the range...of "range" would put melee at an even greater disadvantage than they already are.

2. In real life a sniper would kill you with one shot and you would never even hear the shot or know he was there. From like 100 meters.

3. A light saber should cut through anything in one shot.

When lightsabers can cut snipers in half with a single blow, you can have realistic range.

The game is the way it is cuz its a game and the combat system has to have some kind of balance.

A "sniper" would suggest you snipe people.. from a distance.. a greater distance than say... someone shooting lightning from their backside like sorcs do.. no wait that's bh.. and those are rockets :|

How about just cut down max range on every other ranged class, and those poor wittle mawauders and opewatives will get an even greater advantage?

I've always wondered what was up with some of our rifles. Specifically the Columi and Champion rifles, which have not just one scope, but TWO scopes, directly in front of one another. So you're staring at a scope, through a scope.

It's like our guns were developed by Xibit.

LOL, nice.

Pahaha, we've got more crowd control than Batman

EDIT: And no, more range would be unbalanced. We're already immune to charges, interrupts and grapples while staying at 35m range. What else do you want, snipers to be realistic and one-hit people too?

If you want realism, the Force users would win almost every confrontation, so you'd better reroll.

Force users and realism don't go together, lol.

Ive seen this thread a few times now and i think the range advantage should get buffed.

Range in practice is 30m or less due to many of the abilities you need not being 35m and because of the long cast times you need a time buffer where the target isn't going to run out of range, which is likely if you're sitting at 35m. An increase to 40m would be a good idea then we can fully operate at 35m.

Edited by Crankyhobo

Ive seen this thread a few times now and i think the range advantage should get buffed.

Range in practice is 30m or less due to many of the abilities you need not being 35m and because of the long cast times you need a time buffer where the target isn't going to run out of range, which is likely if you're sitting at 35m. An increase to 40m would be a good idea then we can fully operate at 35m.

Fully operational at 35m still puts us safely out of range of anyone and anything but another sniper/gs. Now consider the mobility Lethality and Engineering specs (even Marksman can be) are. You could effectively be untouchable to anything but a stealthed character.

Maybe it would be op but what if snipe and ambush had a retarded range but the cast time was based on the meters away. The only issues I could see would be distance and targeting and the amount of possible LoS at that distance. I was just thinking in like civil war charging up a snipe as someone rounds the corner from the spawn areas having like a 3sec cast or something. Double the distance double the cast time etc.

Cast time based on ranged would be dumb... that would basically make you a melee class in PVE.

As far as 35M range being absurd, no I don't think it's absurd. I mean yea, sure they could increase it to 40M. They can't increase it so far that in PvP you could kill someone before they could get to you. That would make them the most ridiculous class ever. I could imagine a Civil war with 2 snipers sitting at each side on mid just blasting people trying to cap the sides... yea that would be absolutely retarded.

35M is fine, if you can stay 35M away from people in pvp you almost create a deadzone for every class that you can hit them and they can't hit you.

PvE on the other hand, I don't see how the extra 5M helps us that much. It might encourage being lazy if you had to run away from something you would already be a long ways away from. But PvE is just paying attention to what's going on, which is why it is not hard at all (Unless NM SOA bugs on you 10 times in a row).

Edited by Sleak

A "sniper" would suggest you snipe people.. from a distance.. a greater distance than say... someone shooting lightning from their backside like sorcs do.. no wait that's bh.. and those are rockets :|

How about just cut down max range on every other ranged class, and those poor wittle mawauders and opewatives will get an even greater advantage?

We already do have a greater range than BHs and Sorcs. I'd be fine with maybe increasing it to 40m (since I'm not 100% sure if an extra 5m of range over other classes is really enough), but no more than that.

I think a better idea would be to give snipers a passive stealth ability when in cover and out of combat, to let us pick perches to snipe from, and then capitalize on them for a few moments before melee classes have the chance to close in on us.

That would let us play more like an actual sniper, without unbalancing the game by giving us comical range.

What if being in cover increased some/all of our abilities by 5m?

What if our 30m abilities were brought to 35m, and our 35m brought to 40m 100% of the time?

What if we had a stance for increased range/armor penetration & accurracy/energy recovery/defense/something else?

Any of these sound good?

Edited by psi_overtake

Psi I completely agree with you on the whole "stance like approach" to cover.

I posted this in more detail in another thread called "If We Need Changes... What Would You Change?".

Basically I think having to use cover is more of a drawback than an advantage in its current form. The only benefit you really gain from it being immune to pulls/charges/etc...

The only time that you get that benefit is when your standing completely still... so any opponent who was gonna pull you can just walk right up to you since you can't move because your in cover. I know we can slow the process down by snares and what not but it doesn't change the fact that our mobility is terrible.

I think that cover should either increase the damage we do by a % or reduce the amount of damage we take by a %. Before anyone goes screaming this would make cover overpowered. If cover reduced damage you take by lets say 5% or increased the damage you do by anywhere from 2%-5%. It still wouldn't be that great, but at least you get something from being in cover besides pull immunity. I do think that if they added something like this though some of our abilities would have to be adjusted to prevent them from being to good/useless.

Battlefield 3 is a game, too...

I headshot people from across Caspian Border.

And no, I'm not going back to it, it's just an argument.