Classes - which one has the best story?

Lord_Ravenhurst

In tiers:

1. SI and Agent for different reasons. Those two stories have very different approach and liked it.

2. SW. Would been tier 1, but felt overdone at last planets. I suppose could say they tried to make it too epic (about as close I can explain it without going much longer post).

3. BH. Not that it was so bad, but someone had to be last.

Edited by Chaloss

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SITH WARRIOR:

Second favorite. This is a character who never really changes their focus, though. She knows what she's about, from the get-go, and then barrels towards that goal with singleminded and deadly purpose. Someone earlier recommended playing this character darkside, and I agree. I respect those who enjoyed playing a lightside warrior, but I don't get it. Darkside warrior was an exceptional storyline. I loved it.

I don't really get how everyone either goes for "Light Side" or "Dark Side".

I personally pick choices depending on how "my character" would react. My sith warrior resembles me in a star wars universe. Protect and help me allies, destroy my enemies is my mantra. Level 65 and still neutral (and not by choice either)

Saying that I LOVE the story of the Sith Warrior. Especially chapter 3 all my focus was put on Killing "That man" and I really wanted to see him dead!

1. Jedi Knight. This is KOTOR 3. This one felt like a Star Wars film all the way through. The story is why I have 3 fully leveled knights.

2. Sith Warrior. Good villain, fun story, also felt like a dark side Star Wars film the whole time

3. Agent. I think this one is the only one where your choices really affect how everything plays out and what the ending is. You could also go LS, DS, or somewhere in between and it all makes sense.

4. Inquisitor. This was the first I played. Hated the villain and loved the power struggle dynamic

5. Bounty hunter. Big drop off from inquisitor. Didn't really buy that I was a bounty hunter... more like a pitman. Also, bounty hunting Jedi just didn't do it for me... too unbelievable

6. Trooper. Boring, but you at least have some good lines

7. Smuggler. What even happens in this story? Completely forgettable

8. Consular. Terrible story from act 1 to the end. No clear villain that gets you pumped up to fight. Just overall very lame. As a shadow, I didn't think it made sense with the lore behind the shadow class either.

I don't really get how everyone either goes for "Light Side" or "Dark Side".

I personally pick choices depending on how "my character" would react. My sith warrior resembles me in a star wars universe. Protect and help me allies, destroy my enemies is my mantra. Level 65 and still neutral (and not by choice either)

Saying that I LOVE the story of the Sith Warrior. Especially chapter 3 all my focus was put on Killing "That man" and I really wanted to see him dead!

I wholeheartedly agree. I turned off the the alignment indicator when I play and even though I went with a pureblood Emperor loyal Sith warrior, she still only ended up at Dark II. Of course I did end up skipping a lot of the side quests due to the 12xp, and focused mostly on class missions and a few heroics. I think that's where you end up getting most of the light and dark side points is from the side quests.

While other peoples opinions will differ from my list here are mine, there is no real 1st, 2nd, 3rd but tiers so:

Tier 1

Inquisitor

Warrior

Bounty Hunter

Consular

Tier 2

Knight

Trooper

Tier 3

Agent

Smuggler

Now I know that The consular and agent "ranking" will really differ but here are my opinions:-

Consular - This is what I feel a real jedi knight would be, the knight story while good felt a little too action hero for me, Consular is more about Diplomacy but still does change the course of the war with the "alliances" he builds up during the middle arc of the game, plus especially during chapter 2 I feel out of all of the classes it makes the most sense to be doing the planetary arcs along side the story.

Agent - Now I understand why some might say its the best story in the game, it does have pretty much everything you can think of in terms of story "elements" and its quite clearly the one that the writer enjoyed doing the most, it has the chance of 2 female romances well 3 if you count watcher 2, 1 male and also has a choice of several slightly different endings while also doing a great James Bond type spy story and to top it all off it has one of my favourite companions in the game in Dr Lokin.

My problem lies however in the fact that I personally went into the story expecting too much, a general consensus is that it really was the best in the game and because of this I came out of it enjoying it less than I hoped. Maybe if I had gone in without knowledge of anything it may have been in tier 2 or even at the bottom of tier 1 but as it stands for me I can't currently rank it that high.

Edited by Jedi_riches

Imperial Agent --- I went through this story the quickest, just couldn't stop playing .... and got thoroughly ticked at some people .. won't give away any spoilers in case someone still wants to play one -- just be prepared ... that's all I'll say ( and the incident still ticks my agent off ... so you see how it affected her)

JK was next -- well, it's Star Wars, so that's logical --- Smuggler next ( but then I love the class, go figure)

Never really got into the Sith area, even though I started off with a Sith Inquis and got her to level 36 before I deleted her --- back in the day when we had a specific healer -- and the mob on Quesh I needed to kill was bugged and would NOT die -- and kept respawning minions -- I gave up ... and deleted her ( life was hard when you couldn't get the healer )

I've only played JC and Trooper so far.

I very much enjoyed the character that I created. I feel she is an extension of me, and of my personality, having similar views on morality. I felt the role of the JC fit me too. Given the choices of what your 'role play' is in the game, JC is what I would pick. However with the typical MMO structuree these days, that kind of role just doesn't fit in well.

I think the problem for the JC is that the MMO structure just doesn't fit the kind of person the JC is supposed to be, nor does the MMO structure fit the JC's kind of story. The Jedi Councilor is a diplomat who uses violence as a last resort. This makes it very hard to tell the JC's story when the typical mission is that of combat. The mission profiles and rewards for the JC should fit the character, not typical MMO 'Defeat ### mobs' reward.

A good JC story would be a political/conspiricy thriller involving Jedi mysticism. However based on the type of woman I created/envisioned for the role, I did feel she fit in pretty well with the KOTFE story.

The Trooper on the otherhand was a pretty good story, tho like most MMO stuff it does get repetitive. I liked having Elara as the romance, tho I wish Bioware would borrow from the Sims and create some NPC interaction that really reflects the romance.

I watched all the romance stories on youtube, for some reason I felt Elara's felt the most natural and 'real'. The other romances felt a little cliche. I think when Elara and the Trooper reunite it will be a beautiful scene. BW writers, please don't mess that one up, make it authentic....he hasn't seen his wife in five years, and getting the 'perserverance' letter from her gave him reason to keep going. lol

I may eventually play the Smuggler and JK. I am not too interested in the Sith side, I am sure there are good stories there, but the Sith doesn't fit my personality.

Cheers

TJ

Edited by AndorianTJ

I may eventually play the Smuggler and JK. I am not too interested in the Sith side, I am sure there are good stories there, but the Sith doesn't fit my personality. To me it would feel like fighting for the Reich lol

Cheers

TJ

When I first started this game back in beta, I was with you -- I was Republic all the way and I planned to play a Smuggler at launch. I figured that I didn't want to ruin it for release, so in beta I played an Agent.

Long story short, nowadays I find it very difficult to play Republic at all. The team that built the Empire side was far more talented and experienced, and it shows. The quests and areas flow very well into each other, and it's not all dark dark dark. My favorite character is a full light side Mandalorian (Bounty Hunter). Some of the best scenes are making fun of both Jedi and Sith.

The more I play both sides the more I think that the original writers of the game were trying to point out that the Empire isn't that bad and that the Republic is just full of hypocrites who talk about being so much better but really aren't.

In my opinion:

1: tie between Bounty Hunter and Sith Warrior. I do tend to favor light side, and playing both light side is very fun. As a light side Warrior, you throw people off because you're not going Vader on people all the time. And IDK, the light side Hunter is just...fun?

2. Consular. I know Chapter One is kinda slow, but Chapters 2 and 3 pick up the pace. Plus the final twists are pretty cool.

3. Knight. Very fun. Granted, the finale of Chapter 2 stinks, but overall, it's a good story.

4. Inquisitor. Interesting throughout.

5. Smuggler. Not as fun as I had hoped it would be, but still pretty fun with good dialogue.

6. Trooper. Rather dull IMO. Chapter 3 was good though.

7. I know I'll probably get dragged for this, but I was disappointed in the Agent story. Everyone says the story is fun but...I didn't think it was, really. I understand why some things happened, but I still didn't like it happening.

I might as well give my £2:

1) Trooper - I mainly love the trooper story because it's given me some decisions that were really hard to make but felt believable at the same time. I also love all (except one) of the companions and felt that all of them (even the one I disliked) had a reason to be there.

2) Warrior - This is the story I feel has the most replay factor as it has (imo) the best mentor role and the best villain. Along with this most of the choices are satisfying no matter the result, though there are one or two decisions that leave a bitter taste. Add in a great range of ways you can characterize your warrior and it makes for a strong story.

3) BH - I've only actually played this story once but from what I remember it was a very fun but intriguing playthrough with what I would consider the best Male PC romance. There are one or two things that I would personally change but altogether it was a good story enhanced by some of the best NPC's in the game.

4) Consular - The reason I loved this story is because it felt very 'Jedi' like, it wasn't as fast paced or as 'sole hero' as the JK and it was the type of journey I imagined most PT Jedi would go on, the type of Jedi like Kenobi or Kit Fisto. It's got enough conflict to be believable but also focuses on the hallmarks of the ideal Jedi; sacrifice, diplomacy and leadership. I should mention that this is also a downside as it makes playing a Dark Jedi hard due to more than skeptical moments caused by your alignment but I never had the desire to do this so YMMV.

5) Smuggler - This was a strange one for me because while I liked the story and thought the dialog was great there was an issue that kept bugging me: I didn't feel like a smuggler. Without spoiling anything, I think the villains are great, all of the companions are at the very least interesting and that all of the chapters are fun but if your looking for a Han Solo story you may be unsatisfied.

6) Jedi Knight - To be honest it's not that I dislike this story, more that I found it very 'meh' worthy in comparison to those above it. As the PC you are going to be doing basically everything but the JK story takes that trope to a new level, the story itself being fairly cliché riddled anyway. What I will say is that basically everyone is very well voiced, though I would have loved to hear more of the chapter 3 antagonist and more of Laura Bailey's FMA:B Lust voice.

7) Agent - I'm not really sure if it's the hype that ruined it for me but the story just didn't live up to my expectations. My main problem was with the companions because none of them really felt like they meshed that well with the PC or the flow of the story. Aside from that I just felt that all of the decisions and situations weren't that..... extraordinary? I'm not sure how to explain it but everything just fell flat. Like the JK story though, I will say that all the voice acting is superb with Fem Agent, one of the antagonists and the PC's boss being among my favorite in the game.

8) Inquisitor - This is a story I'm always surprised to see so high up on other people's lists to be honest, my main problem being lack of interest. While I'm not a massive Sith fan it did surprise me that this story bored me so much, the main factor of this being the PC themselves. Without spoiling anything, the inquisitor just didn't feel like a Dark Side genius to me, they didn't feel like a proper schemer, in fact the warrior story felt superior for this exact reason. Much alike the JK and Agent stories I think that it was ruined for me more down to hype and clichés rather than it actually being a bad story. I must also say that the voice acting, whilst good, didn't really compare to the other stories imo.

That's just my take on all of them, I don't mean to offend anyone who thinks differently.

When I first started this game back in beta, I was with you -- I was Republic all the way and I planned to play a Smuggler at launch. I figured that I didn't want to ruin it for release, so in beta I played an Agent.

Long story short, nowadays I find it very difficult to play Republic at all. The team that built the Empire side was far more talented and experienced, and it shows. The quests and areas flow very well into each other, and it's not all dark dark dark. My favorite character is a full light side Mandalorian (Bounty Hunter). Some of the best scenes are making fun of both Jedi and Sith.

The more I play both sides the more I think that the original writers of the game were trying to point out that the Empire isn't that bad and that the Republic is just full of hypocrites who talk about being so much better but really aren't.

When you ask Elara why she defected, she tells you of the Empire's hypocracy...can't remember the exact quote but to paraphrase; "The Imperial military used to stand for honor, that all went out the window once a Sith walked in the room"

Yes there is hypocracy in the Republic, there is nobility in the Empire, just as there was in WWII.. There are elements of the opposite side in both factions. Still it's a matter of quantity, there is a lot more nobility in the Republic and a lot more hypocracy in the Empire.

Would you rather be an average citizen in the Republic or Empire? I'll be honest, I am more familiar with 'Trek' lore than I am with 'SW' lore...tho I am a fan of both (there are more similarities than many care to admit), but comparative empries such as Federation V Romulan, the average citizen in the Federation likely lives a happier life than that of the Romulan citizen, despite there being some corruption in Federation, and some nobility within the Romulan government.

Now for the sake of storytelling, conflict is required. The true test of one's idealistic beliefs is to put those beliefs smack dab in the face of extinction or conflict with an opposing view. Do you sacrifice those ideals for survival? Short term gain vs Long term consequence...and vice versa.

Is survival worth trading your values for? This answer would likely be different depending on what SWTOR class you most identify with. A JC might hold to his/her values no matter what. A Smuggler might do whatever it takes to survive.

SW lore has both Light and Dark trading places in a never ending struggle. Each side perpetuates the continuation of their rival. The Empire oppresses it's people, causing rebellion. The Jedi oppresses it's members from basic emotional needs, thus feeding the Sith. Bottom line, oppression in any from keeps the conflict going.

To the OP's thread, I think the JC is the hardest one for the BW writers to do, because it inherently requires the most dialogue and 'story'....vs MMO action which fit JK, Trooper and action oriented characters.

Edited by AndorianTJ

Would you rather be an average citizen in the Republic or Empire? I'll be honest, I am more familiar with 'Trek' lore than I am with 'SW' lore...tho I am a fan of both (there are more similarities than many care to admit), but comparative empries such as Federation V Romulan, the average citizen in the Federation likely lives a happier life than that of the Romulan citizen, despite there being some corruption in Federation, and some nobility within the Romulan government.

Honestly, in my opinion, they can both go to blazes. My favorite characters are my Bounty Hunter and my Smuggler, and they are loyal to whichever side pays the bills at any given moment. As I said, my BH is Mandalorian and proud, but the current Mandalore is in the Empire's pocket, and she hates that.

As far as story goes, I'd have to say I love the Inquisitor and the Sith Warrior, just because I'm a huge fan of history and archaeology and ancient mythology. It's too bad all the cool ancient Sith stuff is evil, but whatever. I also have a Consular that follows Rajivari's principles.

I've played all of the classes through, and my least favorite ones were the Jedi Knight and the Agent. The Jedi Knight because I really hate when a book is written entirely around the main character, and the Agent because I hate main characters that keep getting screwed over. :p

The Trooper was just okay, but it wasn't realistic for me because I went full light side with her. Let's just say that if someone ignored direct orders as much as she did in the real life military, the story would have been real short because she'd be booted out and pronto. I do want to play through again with a good little soldier and see what her alignment turns out to be, but I really want that cool Havoc Squad armor for her and I don't have about 15 million credits to spend on it. :(

Honestly, in my opinion, they can both go to blazes. My favorite characters are my Bounty Hunter and my Smuggler, and they are loyal to whichever side pays the bills at any given moment. As I said, my BH is Mandalorian and proud, but the current Mandalore is in the Empire's pocket, and she hates that.

As far as story goes, I'd have to say I love the Inquisitor and the Sith Warrior, just because I'm a huge fan of history and archaeology and ancient mythology. It's too bad all the cool ancient Sith stuff is evil, but whatever. I also have a Consular that follows Rajivari's principles.

I've played all of the classes through, and my least favorite ones were the Jedi Knight and the Agent. The Jedi Knight because I really hate when a book is written entirely around the main character, and the Agent because I hate main characters that keep getting screwed over. :p

The Trooper was just okay, but it wasn't realistic for me because I went full light side with her. Let's just say that if someone ignored direct orders as much as she did in the real life military, the story would have been real short because she'd be booted out and pronto. I do want to play through again with a good little soldier and see what her alignment turns out to be, but I really want that cool Havoc Squad armor for her and I don't have about 15 million credits to spend on it. :(

Yeah, I think if BW really had cojones, they would make opposing Valkorion have more serious consequences, as a test of your commitment to your values.

I think this brings up one of the toughest dilemmas one could possibly face. The JC holds to his/her values no matter what....as the Jedi beilives there is no life or death.....only the one becomes with the Force. The Trooper who has romanced, might take some of Valkorion's help in order to see his/her beloved again.

If opposing Valkorion had serious short term consequences, would you stick to your morals or would you put morals to the side to be with your beloved.

That to me would be one of the hardest choices to make. In honesty, personally, I think I would stick with my morals over the beloved, as much as it would pain me to do so. The Universe is bigger than Valkorion, I have a feeling sticking to morals, while painful in the short term has bigger long term rewards.

Regret is the worst emotion of all. If you look back on your life and say, "I wish I did/didin't do this or said that", how do you know that even if you chose a different path then, that you wouldn't have ultimately faced the same trials as you did in your current path.

Anyway, it is good that SWTOR makes you think about these things at least. It isn't as good as Life is Strange in terms of facing tough questions/consequences (tho LIS is more of an interactive novel than a game), SWTOR is leagues above STO in terms of character making choices on par with that character. I long for the day I can be a virtual Star Trek character and be faced with hard moralistic decisions. Kudos to BW with its KOTFE storytelling.

I agree the Trooper had flaws, that like the JC, it run afoul of the stupid MMO mechanics. It is Havoc SQUAD...not Havoc TWOSOME. Only one mission in the whole Trooper story arc had you involve the whole crew. There should be a lot more full crew missions, involving you deciding who does what based on their abilities, according to the mission requirements.

Cheers

TJ

Edited by AndorianTJ

see ? everyone is different -- I dearly loved the Agent story for some of the "flaws" others didn't like ---

it felt James Bond - y --- yes, you never really are a "spy" in the truest sense --- but a lot of intrigue --- could've been better, but I was pleased .... and it got the most "reaction" out of me for shock value

BH was weak in a big area for me -- The Great Hunt -- felt the ending was kind of -- I don't know ; disappointing , bland ? something.... for such an important part of the Hunter story, it was just kind of white washed -- so much potential wasted in my opinion

Smuggler -- sheesh just for the VA alone it was worth it, she was such a sassy little thing -- the female voice actor was superb ( yes I only play females, so can't speak for the guys)

and the Knight -- well was pretty much what I expected -- it is Star Wars after all -- we are the "hero of the galaxy" and all that stuff, yada, yada, yada :D --- but I'd do it all over again

My personal favorite is the Inquisitor story line. A slave who claws her way to the top and stands among those who are considered some of the strongest in the galaxy optimizes the Sith Code. The addition of the classic force ghosts was just icing on the cake.

Character wise she became the closest to an alter ego than any of the other ones I've made. I couldn't see my inquisitor going completely light or dark. Dark V being sociopathic, while Light making little sense given the slave background and harsh trials she faces throughout the story.

The dynamics with her other companions was an interesting catalyst to the story as well. The master and slave relationship that then develops into respect between Khem and the Inquisitor was interesting to watch. My favorite character side quest line was Andronikos Revel's though. I did decide to have my character follow through with the romance quests and really enjoyed the battle of wits and barbs that went back and forth between the two. Even more probably because I tried out responses that were different than ones I'd seen on Youtube. One of those being what's become my favorite conversation between the two. He admits he'd thought about leaving and her response is to smirk and threaten to kill him if he does.He laughs and says she'll have to catch him first.

The only story I've played all the way through so far is the Jedi Knight. It has a great Chapter One, an iffy Chapter Two, and a great Chapter Three. I give it a B overall. It loses a bit of steam in the middle but on the whole I found it to be really enjoyable and well-written. The romance with Kira was awesome... she's so sexy. Edited by Garvick

So lets see Sith Warrior how to put you go from epic to more epic you are 1 man army literally you are strong as a entire army and you prove it time and time again.

Besides the prologue and a little of chapter 2 you are not very involved in sith politics you are a enforcer and that is what you do in all 3 chapters. Its fun you just fell the power when playing the sith warrior.

I will say 8/10 its good play light side and its even better but if you analyze the plot its not that good and original.

Bounty Hunter well this is good you are playing a gun for hire that becomes the best bounty hunter that ever lived literally there is no other bounty hunter in the entire SW franchise that is that good as this one.

So how to put it you get missions to kill or capture someone and then you find ways to do it. Its good because the journeys to finish your missions are amazing.

If you wanna play a legendary bounty hunter well you will play one. 9/10 for what it does it does great.

Jedi Knight basically KOTOR but just not that epic I will give it a 7/10

Jedi Consular well you play a jedi and do what jedi do make alliances, diplomacy save people all that kind of things it just that you play probably the most powerful jedi in the order that suppresses his power most of the time so much that your enemies underestimate think their stronger then you and when you finally let go their scared really scared when they realize that they the weak ones. Those moments are amazing but their few and far between in general you play a normal jedi that does what jedi do.

I will give it a 6/10.

• 2 months later...

Worst would be the Inquisitor, it's really the only story in SWTOR (Aside from SOR) that I would legitimately call bad.

My best is a tie between the Agent and Warrior, both are good stories with memerible characters, dialogue and scenes.

The agent allows you to take a front seat to the problems of both Sith and jedi, where loyalty is simply a path to a consequence. It's the story of a person with the world against them, finding that if they want a choice of where to go in life, they have to fight for it.

The Sith warrior is the Sith experience, all the betrayal, scheming and power that comes with it. It as the best villain in the game and does what the Sith Inquisitor failed to do, it allowed your character to be smart, to manipulate, to turn enemies into allies. It had a great illusion of freedom.

The agent has the best writing, but the Warrior is much more entertaining... Hard choice.

Imperial Agent is the best story in the game. It has amazing plot twists and so far the best story I've played and the only story where your choices have an impact and matter.

Sith Warrior would be 2nd and Inquisitor was also very good.

Smuggler and Trooper however I found boring cause there were no plot twists or anything really interesting happening.

Smuggler & Imperial Agent

The Smuggler has without a doubt the best companions in the entire game; they feel like one big family, Skavak was an amusing villain to exchange quips with. Last but not least, the Smuggler is one of the most fun protagonist to have come out of BioWare since sarcastic Hawke. I love the writing for her chracter and the voice acting is top notch for both female and male alike.

The Agent is the best written and most uncompromising among them all. As BioWare stories go it's up there with Jade Empire as one of the most well written stories, where good and evil are indistinguishable. It definitely tops KOTOR 1's plot for me. Really satisfying.

Edited by Chrisington

Smuggler & Imperial Agent

The Smuggler has without a doubt the best companions in the entire game; they feel like one big family, Skavak was an amusing villain to exchange quips with. Last but not least, the Smuggler is one of the most fun protagonist to have come out of BioWare since sarcastic Hawke. I love the writing for her chracter and the voice acting is top notch for both female and male alike.

The Agent is the best written and most uncompromising among them all. As BioWare stories go it's up there with Jade Empire as one of the most well written stories, where good and evil are indistinguishable. It definitely tops KOTOR 1's plot for me. Really satisfying.

The Imperial Agent is right there, filming Jason Bourne, and then we have the Smuggler on the other side filming a skit from SNL.