Is The Story That Good, or rather Boring?

Irishbrewed

What I want to see, and im sure I saw this somewhere else but I can't put my finger on it, is quests that are not picked up and returned, but dictated to you as you kill things. For example:

Player spawns as a fresh player, and a random NPC is being attacked by random generic monsters. You have no prompt, but you join in and help kill, as you do so, the game narrates whats happening, kind of like Bastion's storytelling.

Triggered on killing 2 monsters:

"He killed a few beasts but the attack was relentless, he would need to slash through the hordes quicker if he was going to save the NPC.

Triggered on killing 2 more:

"the horde was thinning out and the NPC as in sight, a few more kills and he could find out what was going on"

Etc etc etc.

An MMo that would work like that would be incredible.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the class you play. I didn't like the Consular one that much, but enjoyed the SI story a lot more. I do like the planet quests for the most part, but the side quests can get annoying. Some times it's like, ok, I'm going to kill some people, so stop talking to me.

VO's add a different element, but they don't really use it well. A lot of side quests are normal MMO style quests with just VO's. There should be more emotional aspects to these VO's and sequences.

I also think they should do some phasing, to make you feel like you are making a difference, rather than just killing some one in a geological area.

In short, it's better than most, but I think they missed a huge opportunity to make it amazing. But I'll subscribe because I like the game.

I'm sorry but if you found the stories interesting in this game you need to read more or just watch more TV or movies or something. The 'story' in this game was a pathetic misuse of money.

Would've been much better if they didn't have voiceacting for EVERY quest. Also, our own toons should've remained silent throughout the game instead of participating in the chat. Or we should've had the option to pick a voice. What is the point of having voiceacting when EVERY single person sounds the same.

Spacebar'd through most of the voiceacting and read the subtitles instead just because I couldn't stand listening to my character's voice towards the end of the leveling experience.

They need to increase the EXP rates so people don't have to torment themselves with hearing all the voice acting again when they level alts.

For me the story is good, infact if a story in a game can make me burst out laughing whilst playing it then i would say it is very good. when in a conversation with npcs my char splurts out "well i have been having dreams of relics, each one gives me a new flavour of icecream" what is there not to like. They inform you of the lore, really at no point are you out of the loop and have no idea why your killing something or defending something.

The planetery and side quests are good and tie into the zones, of course there is no getting away from go kill him, go kill those or go get that and take it there or bring it back in an mmo such as this but of course if others can think of other ways to generate xp through gameplay in a challenging manner then im sure bioware are more then willing to listen to you ideas in the suggestions forums that are connected to this forum.

Edited by Shingara

I'm sorry but if you found the stories interesting in this game you need to read more or just watch more TV or movies or something. The 'story' in this game was a pathetic misuse of money.

Would've been much better if they didn't have voiceacting for EVERY quest. Also, our own toons should've remained silent throughout the game instead of participating in the chat. Or we should've had the option to pick a voice. What is the point of having voiceacting when EVERY single person sounds the same.

Spacebar'd through most of the voiceacting and read the subtitles instead just because I couldn't stand listening to my character's voice towards the end of the leveling experience.

They need to increase the EXP rates so people don't have to torment themselves with hearing all the voice acting again when they level alts.

To each their own.

I enjoy a good book, movie, etc.

I also enjoyed the story of the Jedi Knight, trooper, and smuggler.

Also, in 1.3 you will have the option to utilize xp bonus for things like PvP, Space Combat, questing, etc.

None the less, you shouldn't disrespect others just because you don't enjoy the same thing.

I am sorry but after playing this game for sometime I must admit, the story is not good at all! Its Bad.

I mean really, its a yawn fest for me, and I live on the space bar. Please can someone explain to me where is all this GREAT story at. How is it not lame and boring, and don't get me started on the SIDE QUEST.

Do we need a story for KILL 10 RATS? (i.e. Fetch/Kill Quest)

I mean single player games do a much better job at story telling then anything in this game tbh. Just because we now have an MMO with voiced questing over text questing, doesn't mean we all have to parade around like we sit on the edge of our seat awaiting the next Voice over. Its still very grindy and the story is only worthy of the SPACE-BAR.

Come on guys, lets be honest, is the STORY in TOR really worth a flip? Or is it just a story, so you are satisfied? Me? Not so much, I rather have text then a boring cut scene that does nothing for my MMO experience. It just wears my poor thumb out trying to skip the underwhelming chatter.

The story is why I can't get to level 50. I keep switching from alt to alt due to the story of each class. Maybe this isn't the game for you?

Also, it's kind of ironic that someone that openly admits to spacebaring through the story elements claims the game to have a bad story. How do you even know if you aren't watching?

Edited by Galbatorrix

The story is why I can't get to level 50. I keep switching from alt to alt due to the story of each class. Maybe this isn't the game for you?

Also, it's kind of ironic that someone that openly admits to spacebaring through the story elements claims the game to have a bad story. How do you even know if you aren't watching?

i spacebar to verify that the predictable story is still predictable.

so far i have leveled 3 republic toons, I have enjoyed my class quest story, some of the side quests I like so I still listen, some I space bar through, I listen to my companions some of them say some pretty funny stuff from time to time, and they see mto have different lines as you gain more affection with them, good stuff..:)

Anyone who thinks that only unpredictable stories (in any medium) are the only good ones are deluding themselves.

It's about the journey, not the destination. Anyone with half a brain could guess at the ending of nearly every renowned piece of cinema, book, play, etc.

I regularly read a ton of books and watch movies of all types and eras, and while the stories in this game aren't "THE BEST", they are my storyline. The story of my bounty hunter, or my Jedi knight. They are definitely engaging and catch my interest even in the presence of tons of other forms of storytelling.

The difference is that MMO's are still a very new medium to tell stories in, and BioWare is the pioneer in this field. And they're doing excellently.

Maybe it's because I'm also a roleplayer, so I actually know how to use my imagination and expand on my character with other players, instead of isolating myself and space-barring past every piece of dialogue and then complaining on a forum that the "story sucks". Do yourself a favor and don't be afraid to be immersed in a video game. The class storylines in this game are excellently written.

I'd be ok with having less important quests be conveyed by something like a text message on a monitor/ futuristic pager. It doesn't need to be a face-to-face conversation with an actual person, especially not in the future, if your boss needs you to go load 10 crates to Chicago, he can send you a text message and stuff still gets done without describing all details. That way "fetch me 15 boar livers" can have a paragraph or two detailing the rational for it, without half an hour of dialogue for it.

I'm all for more 'important' quests and the better thought out side-quests having cut-scenes, it's a story-driven game, after all but for the tertiary grindy missions MMO fans love so much, they can cut the chatter and send an E-mail to the player character.

Then again, if the devs did this, everybody would be up in arms about that too, "omg they are cheapening the game and ruining the lore, they gave up on the game, they obviously hate the game and everyone who plays it!"

So, it's whatever.

Anyone who thinks that only unpredictable stories (in any medium) are the only good ones are deluding themselves.

It's about the journey, not the destination. Anyone with half a brain could guess at the ending of nearly every renowned piece of cinema, book, play, etc.

I regularly read a ton of books and watch movies of all types and eras, and while the stories in this game aren't "THE BEST", they are my storyline. The story of my bounty hunter, or my Jedi knight. They are definitely engaging and catch my interest even in the presence of tons of other forms of storytelling.

The difference is that MMO's are still a very new medium to tell stories in, and BioWare is the pioneer in this field. And they're doing excellently.

Maybe it's because I'm also a roleplayer, so I actually know how to use my imagination and expand on my character with other players, instead of isolating myself and space-barring past every piece of dialogue and then complaining on a forum that the "story sucks". Do yourself a favor and don't be afraid to be immersed in a video game. The class storylines in this game are excellently written.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd answer your question, but your mind is obviously made up. If you want, I can talk about how I was actually, indeed, surprised and angered in the story, like how on my first Trooper, I was legitimately angry when my own Squad defected behind my back, or the betrayals that happened on my Smuggler, but as I said, your mind is obviously made up, and there is no point in trying to convince you. Edited by Guildrum

It's unfortunate if you don't find anything redeeming in the game but not unsurprising. I've found some parts entertaining and fun and an equal amount less so. I think with an MMO those parts just stand out because of the nature of the beast.

For those parts I usually put on a DVD.

No to be fair I did find some "parts" entertaining. But they were few and far between. I liked the ending of my maurader but it was anti climatic in the grand scheme of things.

Also can anyone really say the end of the bounty hunter chapter one was good? Also anti climatic to say the least. Battle royale turned into a 30 sec lackluster fight.

Yeah the game definitely feels like it hands you portions of entertainment from time to time with lulls in between. In a way I like games like this because they're "relaxing" to me.

I think a Gauntlet would have been better than a random melee, that part was a bit of a sad trombone moment.