PvP spec

IronBaron

tactics = lot of time in melee

assult = bit more range

neither one of these has much survivability. assult has the edge imo because you can spec to have reactive shield and adrenaline rush refresh faster.

tank spec is very good if you have a healer buddy. run guard and hang out at the edges of the fray slinging your lil taunt things and shooting ppl. vans make the best pvp tanks imo because we can stay in guard range quite easily.

Tbh it depends what gameplay you feel good with.

Assault : low resist/survivability abilities, the lowest mobility. It's more ranged than the two other specs. But at this price you got the best DPS burst so far. (<3 the 4k+ on Assault Plastique).

Tactics : better survivability, quite good mobility with the 30% sprint + immu skill. You will spend your time in melee, owing guts with pleasure. This spec can be used variously with high energy cell for good DPS or ion cell wich gives you tanking abilities. Dont forget the kick CD reduction wich is clearly OP to eat healers.

Shield : low DPS but epic resistance. Melee abilities with the awesome charge.

That's a quick summary but there's also a lot of ways that are fun so far with the epic hybrids specs (taugrim's iron fist, carolina parakeet, controled burst DPS etc...).

But well, 1.2 is coming out and some changes are happening :

- R.I.P. Carolina parakeet and global nerf for the 18+ assault specs (6s CD on the proc talent for High Impact Bolt + specific stance).

- Up of the tactic spec (snare on the gut).

- Mitigation has been tweaked.

So, keep in mind that whatever you choose right now, you will certainly have to change your gameplay in some days/weeks, like us all.

A guide that will certainly help you (like it helped me so much) : http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-to-bounty-hunter-powertech-trooper-vanguard-mechanics-and-pvp/

Special thanks to Taugrim.

French kisses

You are better off waiting until after 1.2 to really ask this question. For now you should just mess around. No matter what spec you pick the playstyle will change dramatically once the patch hits.

We don't know how much 1.2 will change the Vanguards status in pvp, but as of right now I'd say the Vanguard is above average, as in one of the top 3 pvp classes.

After 1.2 I believe that will drop to slightly below average and will be somewhere in the bottom 3. Just my guess based on changes.

If you run anything other than Ion Cell you will be destroyed unless you are grouped (at least in WZ I play)

Look at top of the page for Taugrim's stickied post

Personally I'm running CP today (ran IF all weekend). As of 1.2 I plan on being 8-31-2. Losing Storm sucks but Hold the Line is amazing IMO

If you run anything other than Ion Cell you will be destroyed unless you are grouped (at least in WZ I play)

Look at top of the page for Taugrim's stickied post

Personally I'm running CP today (ran IF all weekend). As of 1.2 I plan on being 8-31-2. Losing Storm sucks but Hold the Line is amazing IMO

Sadly I believe this will be our best spec after 1.2

It is sad because you can't hold a marauders jock strap. You are just a marauder with less damage, no force leap, and no defensive cooldowns.

I've found Tactics to have substantially less survivability than Assault. Assault can give you great survivability if you know how to range and kite people effectively.

I switched to Tactics after reading the 1.2 patch notes and looking how that was going to affect Assault's playstyle. It's devestating. I have found, however, that Tactics is awesome. I initially wrote it off as a niche spec. It is. I've changed my mind because the niche it fills is extremely powerful and more so after 1.2.

It's terrible 1v1 compared to Assault. However, it has unbelievable pressure. In fact, the pressure is so high, it's borderline burst sometimes. It has pretty decent burst and much sharper burst than Assault does. My opinion of Hold the Line hasn't changed. It's still largely "meh..." Except for Huttball, where it is amazing. It'll be indirectly buffed next patch with the changes to Pulse Generator.

Which leads me to Pulse Generator...

Pulse Generator makes, as far as I know, Pulse Cannon the most devestating AoE in the game bar none. Every 12 seconds, you can drop an AoE that, without consumables, will deal 6k damage consistently and, with consumables, we're looking at the 9k range. It ignores armor and has outstanding power scaling. It's a game change ability especially if you run with another player in an AoE spec. It literally denies the other team the ability to cluster. Sure, players should spread out, but combat is dynamic. People move around. When it gets a snare in 1.2, it's going to be epic.

When I group queue, we rarely target healers anymore. They're irrelevant. The most we do is use Force Push or Harpoon to force them into AoE.

Tactics(AP) is a Sent/Marauder with no good defensive cooldowns.

Being forced in to melee without proper ways to protect ourselves is a silly design concept.

It's really nothing like it at all. I say this having played both.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.