Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

"Resolve is broken" challenge

Kaarsa

I never played WoW. So I have no idea what you are talking about.

But I have played other games where CC was not the objective. In the games I have played other people in your party or on your side can also dispel any CC from you, and that was part of the teamwork that happened in PvP in those games. So chances were that you may be incapacitated for a bit but not all that long. We have different experiences.

For me, Resolve is just a bad attempt to counter CC, and that is because CC is the dominant PvP skill in this game, which makes all your other skills a joke.

You prefer it; I think it ruins pvp because it makes it ONLY about CC and getting out of it.

Standing still and running a rotation is PvE. I suggest you do more raiding if you don't like having to learn how to counter other players.

The issue isn't that Resolve is broken or that there is too much CC, the issue is that you prefer PvE and are frustrated that (what passes as) PvP in this game does not allow you to play the same way.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Standing still and running a rotation is PvE. I suggest you do more raiding if you don't like having to learn how to counter other players.

The issue isn't that Resolve is broken or that there is too much CC, the issue is that you prefer PvE and are frustrated that (what passes as) PvP in this game does not allow you to play the same way.

Arm-chair psychiatrists, you gotta love them. There is something wrong with me because I find fault with what passes for PvP in this game? It means I like PvE better?

Playing against another player is NOT PvE. It's the reason that I like PvP. AI is predictable and tedious at best. When you are playing against another player, if you try using your PvE rotation, you die very quickly. And why you would liken PvP without an overabundance of disabling CCs as a PvE rotation is a mystery to me.

I would venture to say you have not really played a game where it is pitting player against player that isn't reliant upon how long you can keep your opponent disabled, hoping you can keep them helpless long enough to kill them.

In a game where you have to win the other player by strategy and skill based on their ACTIVE participation AND teamwork (which this game's PvP pretty much prevents from happening) in doing the same to you. Yes, it is much harder. But you would rather stun lock someone and kill them so you don't have to learn how to do it. See how I did that?

Arm-chair psychiatrists, you gotta love them. There is something wrong with me because I find fault with what passes for PvP in this game? It means I like PvE better?

Playing against another player is NOT PvE. It's the reason that I like PvP. AI is predictable and tedious at best. When you are playing against another player, if you try using your PvE rotation, you die very quickly. And why you would liken PvP without an overabundance of disabling CCs as a PvE rotation is a mystery to me.

I would venture to say you have not really played a game where it is pitting player against player that isn't reliant upon how long you can keep your opponent disabled, hoping you can keep them helpless long enough to kill them.

In a game where you have to win the other player by strategy and skill based on their ACTIVE participation AND teamwork (which this game's PvP pretty much prevents from happening) in doing the same to you. Yes, it is much harder. But you would rather stun lock someone and kill them so you don't have to learn how to do it. See how I did that?

The definition of PvP is not exactly relevant to this thread so I'll just state that there is no PvP in this game, it is actually CvC as it is your character's statistics that primarily determines the outcome of any engagement.

As for your preference, you have pretty clearly defined what you dislike about "PvP". You dislike the fact that it is dynamic and requires actions outside of clicking your attack button. Your ideal PvP scenario is similar to the Napoleonic style of lining everyone up and having them fire until they die. "Strategy" consists of nothing more than facing your opponent.

CC adds actual tactics to the game. You don't like it because you have to think instead of lining up and getting kills.

Ergo, you like PvE. You even kind of like "PvP" in this game since it is also just glorified PvE. You just dislike the few skill requirements that actually exist in Warzones.

I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever died without being able to move unless I put myself into some really god-awful positioning, where I ended up being wailed on by 3 or more people. I'm not even in full battlemaster either. I'm in mostly champion.

Maybe that happened a couple times when I was a fresh 50 on my alt. In this game you get punished heavily for making stupid plays. Solution: Don't make stupid plays.

LOL this coming from a powertech and jug.... We aren't all rocking out heavy armor and 20k hit points broseph Stalin.

When you are using a sniper you don't typically stand in the middle of your team. When you are using a sorcerer you are wearing light armor. Try out those two classes and see how you fair.

Edited by HanzBlix

LOL this coming from a powertech and jug.... We aren't all rocking out heavy armor and 20k hit points broseph Stalin.

When you are using a sniper you don't typically stand in the middle of your team. When you are using a sorcerer you are wearing light armor. Try out those two classes and see how you fair.

It is actually funny when you use 2 classes that are most reliant on CC to be able to survive and function in WZ as examples that resolve is not protecting you enough from CC. Guess what, if roots, slows would be part of resolve, CC breaker would grant few sec of CC immunity and resolve when turning white would break all current CC those 2 classes would THE most affected, probably to the point of being unplayable.

It is actually funny when you use 2 classes that are most reliant on CC to be able to survive and function in WZ as examples that resolve is not protecting you enough from CC. Guess what, if roots, slows would be part of resolve, CC breaker would grant few sec of CC immunity and resolve when turning white would break all current CC those 2 classes would THE most affected, probably to the point of being unplayable.

I heal on my sorcerer, so no I would say that the CC doesn't do a whole lot for my survival. I have whirlwind on a fairly long cast (easily interupted by a non noob), and a fairly long cool down, and one quick few second stun. If I'm stun locked in my light armor and I never have a chance to hit a heal button before I'm dead, well you can do the math there.

Doesn't really come down to skill at that point, as I can't push any oh crap buttons to do anything. When I spec to dps for 1.2 this will probably be a different story.

I don't have too many complaints about the sniper, except when I'm getting focused by a smuggler/operative. We have zero hard counters against these. Pretty much stun lock dead. They prevent you from going back into cover, so no cover pulse even. If by some miracle you get a flashbang off and your enemy doesn't have a break free you have about a 30% chance of living.

Yes I have one slow and each toon, but if you can't push the button and get away because you're stunned, doesn't do much for you does it?

Usually when I rage about resolve bar its my own fault for using my cc breaker on the wrong crowd control, what I would like to know is how long you need to delay the second stun so that the first one wont be counted towards the resolve bar because this is the issue for me, ill be stunned maybe 3-4 times just not chain stunned.

Usually when I rage about resolve bar its my own fault for using my cc breaker on the wrong crowd control, what I would like to know is how long you need to delay the second stun so that the first one wont be counted towards the resolve bar because this is the issue for me, ill be stunned maybe 3-4 times just not chain stunned.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=390716

First post has all technical informations about resolve I managed to gather.

Honestly the link/post just makes the whole system sound even more silly than I currently thought it was.

Well, regardless you like it or not, you at least know how it works now;)

Edited by Sireene
quote of edited post

What's the point of having waited as you should for your resolve bar to fill before you use your CC breaker if you are still just going to be slowed to a crawling speed afterwards.

Full resolve/CC breaker should remove all movement impairing effects for said duration.

Ok, I want to throw a gauntlet to all supporters of opinion that resolve is broken.

Please post a vid or link to a vid where someone is affected by stun or mezz or knockback or pull while having white resolve bar.

By affected I mean - hit by new one, one that filled resolve bar SHOULD work.

If you will get me a vid, we can then ask BW to fix it.

If not, I am going to direct all resolve-complainers here.

One more time, get me a vid or stop QQ about resolve please.

Ok, big whoop, so I havn't taken the time to fraps my resolve bar while I'm perma-stunned in a Voidstar. Forgive me, I'm too busy trying to pretend BW has pvp. The reality is that the end product in pvp is more time in the air going the wrong way, or slumped over with a headache, or on the ground looking like some mut in heat than it is beating someone over the head with a glowstick. When many of us say it needs fixing, it means simply make it viable,give it substance, make it have some meaning. Bottome line, if I am spending that much time in paralysis when it's already fixed, then what the hell were they thinking. I sincerely hope that it is currently broke so we have some stun relief to look forward to.

Ok, big whoop, so I havn't taken the time to fraps my resolve bar while I'm perma-stunned in a Voidstar. Forgive me, I'm too busy trying to pretend BW has pvp. The reality is that the end product in pvp is more time in the air going the wrong way, or slumped over with a headache, or on the ground looking like some mut in heat than it is beating someone over the head with a glowstick. When many of us say it needs fixing, it means simply make it viable,give it substance, make it have some meaning. Bottome line, if I am spending that much time in paralysis when it's already fixed, then what the hell were they thinking. I sincerely hope that it is currently broke so we have some stun relief to look forward to.

The people who say it needs fixing all have one thing in common: they don't understand how it works.

Once you actually learn how to use Resolve you will find that it is vastly superior to the CC systems in place in other games.

For the record, I think there is a time in a place for CC in PvP, I don't even mind the basic concept of the resolve system, I just think it really needs to break when the bar gets full and give you some immunity time.

If it broke when the bar got full, there would be much less chance of being stunlocked to death, and a team would really have to time their CC's appropriately.

The people who say it needs fixing all have one thing in common: they don't understand how it works.

Once you actually learn how to use Resolve you will find that it is vastly superior to the CC systems in place in other games.

It's really not.

What's the point of having waited as you should for your resolve bar to fill before you use your CC breaker if you are still just going to be slowed to a crawling speed afterwards.

Full resolve/CC breaker should remove all movement impairing effects for said duration.

the only time you are supose to use CC break is when the other team is going to "score a point" or get an upper hand in a fight, other than that, just deal with it.

2 Reps on me yesterday for about 20 seconds, been CCed most of the time, comes the 4 second stun, I look at the resolve bar, it's full. OK, I use my CC breaker, make 2 steps, stun again for 4 seconds, not 2 seconds later.

Resolve working as intended.

PS. I managed to get away with Jet Charge after the stun ended, but that's not the point.

Edited by KekoSplit

2 Reps on me yesterday for about 20 seconds, been CCed most of the time, comes the 4 second stun, I look at the resolve bar, it's full. OK, I use my CC breaker, make 2 steps, stun again for 4 seconds, not 2 seconds later.

Resolve working as intended.

PS. I managed to get away with Jet Charge after the stun ended, but that's not the point.

This exactly the situation I ask to see in the video. Since it would be an obvious bug. Or maybe you just cant tell difference between full resolve bar and white resolve bar? Or you cant tell the difference between stun and root?

This exactly the situation I ask to see in the video. Since it would be an obvious bug. Or maybe you just cant tell difference between full resolve bar and white resolve bar? Or you cant tell the difference between stun and root?

I know the difference between stun and root. I'm a hardcore non-elitist PVP player. Translation: Rank 14 in WoW, played about 5000 WSG and AB games in my 1st WoW year, didn't play Arena because it was not fun. Stopped playing WoW 3 years ago.

Resolve bar was full and white, I used my CC breaker, made 2 steps, got stunned again for 4 seconds.

It happened exactly this way. Usually it takes about 5 seconds for the resolve bar to drop from full, so I can get stunned again. But sometimes, like yesterday, it gets...weird.

Edited by KekoSplit

I know the difference between stun and root. I'm a hardcore non-elitist PVP player. Translation: Rank 14 in WoW, played about 5000 WSG and AB games in my 1st WoW year, didn't play Arena because it was not fun. Stopped playing WoW 3 years ago.

Resolve bar was full and white, I used my CC breaker, made 2 steps, got stunned again for 4 seconds.

It happened exactly this way. Usually it takes about 5 seconds for the resolve bar to drop from full, so I can get stunned again. But sometimes, like yesterday, it gets...weird.

Since it takes exactly 10 seconds for white bar to drop to zero (starting from moment you see it dropping of course, because real period of CC immunity is always longer) you either have problems with time sense (pretty normal in the heat of battle) or you are trolling. Take your pick.

PS. Not having a clue about resolve system will not help you in this thread I am afraid.

Edited by Kaarsa

Hm.. I just saw this article:

Your resolve bar (in the UI) fills when you get hit with the stun, but the points aren't actually applied until the duration of the stun passes. So don't burn your Unleash when you first get a full bar and think you're immune. The bar will show full but you won't actually be immune, you have to wait for entire stun to pass before your CC immune.

If that's true, CC breaker is useless. Waiting for stun to pass, then you're immune. But then I wouldn't need a CC breaker. Strange.

Since it takes exactly 10 seconds for white bar to drop to zero (starting from moment you see it dropping of course, because real period of CC immunity is always longer) you either have problems with time sense (pretty normal in the heat of battle) or you are trolling. Take your pick.

PS. Not having a clue about resolve system will not help you in this thread I am afraid.

Drop to zero? LOL. I get stunned for full 4 seconds when my resolve bar drops to 99% or anything bellow 100%, really.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.