New to the game, need some 'starter crafts'

Hobothesis

Hey all I'm new, currently a lvl 13 sith mara with synth/arch/UT. It's nice to be able to make my own gear and all, but with my current companion I can't make gear for 'em. I'm not really sure what crafting combos would be good as a newbie to this game. I do tend to solo most stuff outside of heroic ones I know I can't solo or if i do a FP so I'm not sure if this even matters.

I read somewhere u can get like some lvl 1 social orange mod gear and just put the upgrades in it and be fine(but won't u have crap armor?)

Making my own medkits and stims seems worthwhile, but compared to other crafts I don't know. You should never give a newb choices....

For now I plan on sticking with my mara and not playing another char for a while and my current synth level is only like lvl 60 which is no biggy.

So any help is much appreciated, i know 1.2 is supposed to be big but regretfully i have no idea just what it entails too(since i just joined yesterday, i skimmed the patch notes but not having played I don't know if x is good and y is bad or not)

Also i hear peeps say ALL new players need to grab slicing for some reason or another but never really go into too much detail other than you can make money; can't you make money with other craft skills?

Slicing is valuable in that it lets you farm extra money (from lockbox nodes) while you are levelling. You can also send spare companions out on Rich Lockbox Missions with a reasonable chance of getting Mission Discovery items that can be sold for good cash on the GTN. Currently, you can do Augment missions on slicing and possibly get good augments to add to crafted gear, but that's pretty useless if you aren't crafting any gear! In patch 1.2, you can do augment materials missions and sell the materials...

Most actual crafting is best for end-game or for twinking out a new character because it takes a long time to reverse engineer really viable gear (this may be changing a little in 1.2). It also costs significant amounts of cash.

Once you hit level 50 and have all your skills (including your speeder piloting level 3), then you could start investing in crafting without characters development.

Having said that, it's not exactly a race to 50, so if you'd rather invest some time and money into a crafting skill, then Synthweaving is probably one of the better options for a Marauder. Taking Archeology and Underworld Trading with that is pretty near essential.

Edited by Tuhalu

personally, just starting out, i think you should take up 3 "gathering" professions

out of Slicing, Scavenging, Bioanalysis, Archeology....and probably taking the first 3 i listed.

as far as gear goes...you can easily earn gear with quest rewards, and upgrade gear using Planet Commendations.

Keep all ORANGE gear you find. these are upgradable and you can easily still use this gear at level 50. just need to upgrade the "mods" that are inside them. (armor,mod, color crystal, barrel, hilt, ect.)

so if i drop what i have and take 3 gathering profs, what do i do with the mats? sell em? hoard them until i decide what craft to go when im 50 so i have some mats to work with? or can i do something else entirely with them?

I did play wow for 6 years, and the advice i'd give a new player is to grab something like mining/skin just for the fact u can only track 1 item at a time(at least last time i played 3 years ago) so i guess getting 3 gathering might be along those lines.

so if i drop what i have and take 3 gathering profs, what do i do with the mats? sell em? hoard them until i decide what craft to go when im 50 so i have some mats to work with? or can i do something else entirely with them?

I did play wow for 6 years, and the advice i'd give a new player is to grab something like mining/skin just for the fact u can only track 1 item at a time(at least last time i played 3 years ago) so i guess getting 3 gathering might be along those lines.

It depends upon what you plan to do once you hit level 50. In 1.2, crafted orange gear will be critable, which means it can gain an additional slot (currently orange gear is limited to 3 slots) for augments.

So a lot of people are planning to pick up armortech, armormech or synthweaving to be able to craft that orange gear, which will likely sell very well on the AH.

Some people are starting to level those crewskills now in anticipation of 1.2 dropping some time in April.

So you can either sell them now to supply the current levelers or take a gamble and stow the mats away until 1.2 for a possibly greater profit OR stow them away for personal use if you plan to drop gathering and pick up crafting as you close in on 50.

haha....not really helping, am I? :p

I personally just started stowing away metals from UT in anticipation of the patch drop. Up until just a few days ago, I was selling them for a tidy profit on the GTN. I hope I don't regret saving them for later instead of selling them now. Only time will tell!

What I'm doing is leveling with Slicing, Archaeology and Underworld Trading. The slicing gives steady income from nodes while questing which has already paid for an extra bank tab and most of the extra inventory slots, so like people said it's a very good idea for at least your first character. I was going to decide once I hit level cap to either keep Slicing or use the other two professions to support Synthweaving, but if you're going to sell the materials I would say wait until just after 1.2 hits. Prices for things should spike very high for a short period, after which things ought to stabilize somewhere.

As a side note, if I do pick up Synthweaving, I'll probably level an alt with Slicing to use in 1.2 for augments.

I like the slicing, bioanalysis, scavenging combination for a new character on a new server.

Gather all nodes and harvest all strong beasts and droids, run lockbox missions with extra companions, and sell everything you get on the GTN.

You'll have no problem buying anything you need, including unlocking extra inventory and ship bays, buying speeders, and keeping yourself and companions geared.

And another tip, you can keep yourself geared mostly for free from quests, commendations and drops. Nothing in the game requires you to have fully blue or better same level gear, nor to consistently use stims and medacks.

So don't go overboard buying stuff and you should have plenty of credits when you hit 50 for anything you'll need.

I like the slicing, bioanalysis, scavenging combination for a new character on a new server.

Gather all nodes and harvest all strong beasts and droids, run lockbox missions with extra companions, and sell everything you get on the GTN.

You'll have no problem buying anything you need, including unlocking extra inventory and ship bays, buying speeders, and keeping yourself and companions geared.

And another tip, you can keep yourself geared mostly for free from quests, commendations and drops. Nothing in the game requires you to have fully blue or better same level gear, nor to consistently use stims and medacks.

So don't go overboard buying stuff and you should have plenty of credits when you hit 50 for anything you'll need.

This is a great post, so pay attention!! I'm still leveling and I have slicing, TH & UT, but when I roll an alt I will definitely take up slicking, bio, and scav. It's a great combo and you'll never be lacking for nodes to harvest.

With 1.2 coming out, being a synthweaver for yourself will probably be a good boon for a while as you work on getting some orange augments. Currently, orange gear does not require blue/purple materials, but this may be changing. That said, if you are starting out and want to make your own gear, I would recommend synth, archeology, and slicing.

Synth and archeology will allow you to make and level baseline synthweave products. Slicing will net you credits and augment parts when the system is revamped in 1.2. When you hit 50, you can then drop slicing for Underworld Trading to get blue/purple mats for synthweaving if you desire.

Edited by Lexster

what you are doing currently is fine. that is making your own armor. i have leveled two 50s without slicing/gathering mats for selling on two different servers and never had a credit problem. one was a synthweaver and the other was a cybertech. it was invaluable to level up making my own blue gear on my synthweaver for both myself and my companions.

when you take ANY gathering skills you will only make credits when those sell on the gtn if they do sell. by now so many of us have alts that can get everything we need so selling mats is diminishing. also right now most people are not making anything and are waiting for 1.2. you just might be lvl 50 by the time it does come out.

i just dont see the point in making credits if you have to turn around and buy gear with it. or do most people run around leveling in greens 10 or more levels below them stuggling with certain class quests? i have a guildy who loves slicing, mat gathering and bio. he has no credits. i have 3 mil.

so much info thanks everyone. guess its all a catch 22 really. I went slicing/bio/scav and nodes all over the minimap lol. I'll probably just hold down on these for now, but so far it seems biochem(i think, making the medikits craft) would be easier to level than others as in like 4 kills im already level 20. Most likely i'll wait it out till after 1.2 to see whats what.

what you are doing currently is fine. that is making your own armor. i have leveled two 50s without slicing/gathering mats for selling on two different servers and never had a credit problem. one was a synthweaver and the other was a cybertech. it was invaluable to level up making my own blue gear on my synthweaver for both myself and my companions.

when you take ANY gathering skills you will only make credits when those sell on the gtn if they do sell. by now so many of us have alts that can get everything we need so selling mats is diminishing. also right now most people are not making anything and are waiting for 1.2. you just might be lvl 50 by the time it does come out.

i just dont see the point in making credits if you have to turn around and buy gear with it. or do most people run around leveling in greens 10 or more levels below them stuggling with certain class quests? i have a guildy who loves slicing, mat gathering and bio. he has no credits. i have 3 mil.

I'm rerolling on a new server right now. I have bio, scavenging, and slicing. I have all of my inventory slots open and several ship bays - one full of mats that I'm keeping for leveling crafting later and another half full of 340 artifact mission discoveries. I have all my training up to date, mostly orange gear with prototype or better mods. I have a mailbox full of level 49 prototype armor, mods, enhancements along with implants and an ear piece, all of which I've bought off the GTN. I have 2 million in credits.

Oh and I'm level 46 and just finished my class story. I'll be starting on the dailies this afternoon, and figure doing them plus some PVP for the next couple of days will get me to 50.

I do think the reason both you and I seem to have credits and things we want or need while others do not has more to do with how we play the game than which crew skills we have taken.

The most important lesson for new players is to watch what you spend, don't waste credits on frivolous items or gear that will be outdated in a couple of hours, loot everything, vendor the garbage, and sell the rest through the GTN (and not at the auto-price).

EDIT TO ADD: I sell mats on the GTN every day, and have never had a problem getting them to sell. I even price them at the level where players whine on the forums about the 'ridiculous mat prices'.

Edited by DawnAskham

Cybertech/scavenging/underworld trading from 1-50

At 50 switch to

biochem/bioanalisis/diplomacy

Cybertech will let you make the mods you need to keep your orange armor up to date. You can easily use the same piece of armor from level 10 to level 50 just by updating the mods. It doesn't look pretty, but it gets the job done.

At 50, you make your final set of mods and switch to biochem so you can make healthpacks and stimpacks for yourself.

All other crew skills aren't worth the time of day and just huge credit syncs.

- P