Wait 1.5 hours for PvP queue, then match ends due to lack of players

Dreamquencher

Greets,

I have been playing PvP online since Duke Nukem and Quake via modem...spent a lot of time with Myth: The Fallen Lords, Myth II, Diablo II, and Quake III. Spent 6 years doing PvP in WoW, from casual BGs to world PvP to arenas. I have 4 level 50 Rift toons with high-level PvP gear. My major problem with SWTOR's PvP situation is the server population issue, which leads to 1-2 hour waits in the queue, even on weekends (server: The Defenestrator, aka The Ghost Town of SWTOR). Then, when my queue finally pops, I finish off the random NPC I am slaughtering, jump into PvP...then stand there horrified while the timer counts down to end the warzone early due to inadequate numbers of players. This is especially maddening on the Republic side, considering that there are between 1-6 people max on the Fleet (including myself) most days.

There are 3 possible solutions, alll of which have been discussed before, I know (including http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=375822, among others):

1) Server consolidation by Bioware

2) Allow server transfers (free or paid, I don't care)

3) Cross-realm PvP

Something has to be done, and quickly, before the large population of players who prefer the challenges of PvP over slicing and dicing womp rats and droids flees SWTOR for other MMOs that listen to their player base and work hard to make PvP functional and enjoyable.

TL;DR: Fix PvP for low pop servers somehow ASAP thanks.

--

Dreamquencher

Quenching the Fatal Dreams of Fell Fallen Lords since 1997

Edited by Dreamquencher

There not gonna merge servers, that would look like there loseing subs, wich they are, i would reroll or quit. As far as cross servers wz, i would not hold my breath on that, this is a company that dosent even have combat logs in it yet.

There not gonna merge servers, that would look like there loseing subs, wich they are, i would reroll or quit. As far as cross servers wz, i would not hold my breath on that, this is a company that dosent even have combat logs in it yet.

1.7 mil in Jan, 2.3mil in March gonna go with thats a gain...

The point is...if you are making an MMO today, you best darn well know what other MMO's are doing. Companies should already have a back-up plan to ensure accessibility for players to play together. This only make sense because if you have a new game that start losing players, but impliment your cross-server ability for missions, instances, or just pvp, then it will always seem there are players there for you...the only problem they have to address is the server population you are on.

Well they can continue to stick their head in the sand but they will end up dealing with it when the bad PR goes viral that servers are ghost towns OR they can do it now, keep what players they still have happy.

I would start merging them now before 1.2 comes out to get the bad PR out of the way in hopes that 1.2 is successful

INSTEAD OF

Waiting until after 1.2 comes out and diminish any good PR that 1.2 generated.

Of course, if 1.2 flops, it won't matter either way.

I know that I waited around half an hour one night to join a group, ended up as a 5 person defensive team in Voidstar, lost one door, the warzone ended for lack of players, and we lost without having a chance to capture anything.

I then re-queued, and another half hour or so later, found myself in the exact same spot... On a 5 person Voidstar defensive team with the countdown timer running.

Hard for five people to hold that first door for a minute and a half against a full team.

The times you end up in the respawn area, locked behind the wall, and you see three or four other players there with you really tell the story.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I can understand why they are hesitant to shut down servers, though.

Misinformation or merely incompetence could result in a perception of the game failing, of it being on it's last legs, of it's players fleeing in droves, of F2P being right around the corner, if even an option.

That would not be a good thing, either.

So cross-server PvP is the best solution from that perspective.

The problem with that is that it doesn't help when you are trying to get a team together for a heroic, flashpoint, or operation.

I think that maybe a pre-emptive publicity campaign to talk about game numbers and how things are going great and upcoming features (beyond 1.2), combined with a modest server shutdown, might be the best.

That way they could try to fold the server shutdown into the positives and find some term to use other than 'shutdown'.

Call it a 'server optimization plan' or something. :sy_galaxy:

I don't mind cross server queues, but the system should group people based on server first and wait like a few minutes before pugging a non-server players into the group. The system should also attempt to queue teams that are on the same server. That way you get to keep the server community, but with the added flexibility of cross-over queues and players.