The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PVP Healing in 1.2

TheEvilEeyore

When Ranked WZ's come in, and you see 8 man premades, healers will be protected. If you are really having a problem with kiting/pushbacking some dps when you have someone guarding you, and the team stunning/interrupting just as much as the other team is, I dont see the validity in your complaints. Our role is special, and healing comes in many forms. Damage mitigation, doing damage/CC when needed, and simply distracting DPS from their objectives all implicitly keep the team alive. The reason these nerfs make sense in a PVP environment, and I am sorry if the healers here are forever alone, is that a well protected healer is immortal. I know some pugs can be baddies and not see, for example, a sorc healer force running away from a mob and not intercept the healing-killers, but that is not what we should be basing any balance on.

[...]

Just so I don't seem open to a deeper analysis, I would like to hear how, despite their squishiness, sorcs have a problem getting away from focusers. Mercs tend to handle the situation head on, or by kiting in hopes DPS/Tanks tag their pursuers. We all can't be Ops who can instant heal themselves all day while kiting, so we have our own methods of dealing with the chase (CC, energy shield or Bubble/Slow/Speed/Stun) that balance out our better healing throughput.

This is a point which also needs to be made. I was in the middle of writing a guide specifically pertaining to Combat Medic in PvP and the first thing I outlined was this: your ability as a healer is entirely dependent on the skill of your team. If your team is terrible, you won't perform well; a strong team can make a healer look immortal. Since both teams will have (theoretically) a higher number of intelligent players, the times you find yourself alone should be diminished (but will also be more unforgiving). With that said, being a healer in a non-ranked match, or on servers with a low general or PvP-oriented population will still cause issues that either need to be rectified by Bioware (server population adjustments) or through balancing elsewhere.

I also wanted to agree with the second paragraph, because it summarizes my opinion on Combat Medic's survivability. We lack any escape option (sprint or stealth) and while those aforementioned utlities on the other classes can be countered, we have no such option. Once locked in a battle, all too often you only leave combat with you or your opponent in a bodybag. So yes, I do believe Combat Medic should have some form of sturdiness to remain competitive: our single target healing is primarily what enables that.

Edited by SpaniardInfinity

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It aint that hard as an operative atleast. If you still think its hard now then wait until the expertise buff in 1.2 kicks in, healing will get easier.

Expertise increases damage done but also reduces damage taken, so the damage does not actually increase if you match equally geared opponents. The only thing that increases is the healing done which benefits us. I hate to be that guy but it seems like a dose of man-up and l2p would solve most issues.

this is also wrong; damage/healing done is on a different curve from damage reduction and so it has exactly the opposite affect from what you described.

I also wanted to agree with the second paragraph, because it summarizes my opinion on Combat Medic's survivability. We lack any escape option (sprint or stealth) and while those aforementioned utlities on the other classes can be countered, we have no such option. Once locked in a battle, all too often you only leave combat with you or your opponent in a bodybag. So yes, I do believe Combat Medic should have some form of sturdiness to remain competitive: our single target healing is primarily what enables that.

I disagree with our single target heals being what keeps us up. Our instant cast spells and the smart use of our shields and SCC are what keep us alive when pressured by solid players. Our single target cast heals are often on the 4 second interrupt cooldown. Timing los, knockbacks, and stuns with spells coming off of interrupt cooldowns also contribute to survivability. The player that can manage all that while under pressure is obviously doing more metrics in pvp then was intended by BW. Why force the majority of poor dps to play better...rather hammer the scattering of well played PVP healers.

Any idiot can sit there with their 12 second shield on and heal...the good players are the ones that survive beyond the shield and help their team win.

This hits the nail on the head as to all the complaites made on the Forums.

But watch all the Sorc/Sage ignore it on purpose.

The complaint isn't necessarily about the change in Force management. I think my Sage had too easy a time of maintaining Force, and that something needed to be changed. I just think the specific way they went about doing it was the wrong way. Having to nuke 15% of your HP in PvP instantly to gain Force back sucks. It's fine in PvE where damage is predictable and you don't need to be 100% all the time, but not so much in PvP. You also have to spend an extra GCD on self heals now. Assuming you use Healing Trance to get Force back on cooldown, you're spending a third of your time managing Force. That's not fun, even at an average of once every 15 seconds you're spending 20% of your time managing Force. Outright nerfing the amount of Force given by Noble Sacrifice 40%* would've been a better fix for me, but not great (because it lessens the reward for actually using it).

The change in Conveyance to nerf Sage burst healing is entirely unnecessary with the incoming bug fix to stop double dipping. Without the shorter cast time, our only efficient non-cooldown heal is very interruptable.

*My estimates put the cost of self healing yourself after a Noble Sacrifice around here in best case scenarios.

Edited by Soshla

I disagree with our single target heals being what keeps us up. Our instant cast spells and the smart use of our shields and SCC are what keep us alive when pressured by solid players. Our single target cast heals are often on the 4 second interrupt cooldown. Timing los, knockbacks, and stuns with spells coming off of interrupt cooldowns also contribute to survivability. The player that can manage all that while under pressure is obviously doing more metrics in pvp then was intended by BW. Why force the majority of poor dps to play better...rather hammer the scattering of well played PVP healers.

Any idiot can sit there with their 12 second shield on and heal...the good players are the ones that survive beyond the shield and help their team win.

I think we have a bit of a misunderstanding here because of idea of single target healing versus yours. The reason I claim Combat Medic is very good at it is because we can normally sustain it longer than another healer thanks to our ammo efficiency. And staying ammo efficient means you are using your instants to keep your costs down and heal on the go. Shields, SCC, and our utilities like Reserve Powercell and Tech Override assist with that. LOS and CC do contribute to our survival, yes, but I wouldn't say the strategy is unique to Combat Medics although it is essential for healers.

Juggling all of that is exactly what separates the good healers from the bad ones. And yes, those who can manage it will most likely be exceeding the target range Bioware had intended. It is not uncommon for me to put up a minimum of 400k healing in a warzone but all the while taking something near 200k damage (indicating something like 50% of my heal total was on myself to stay alive). With the amount of burst damage that already exists in the game and how quickly it can tear through anyone done correctly, it really makes me wonder how much healing Bioware wants done in a warzone. Is the 300k healing medal intended to be a ceiling for healers? Are healing totals beyond, say, 500k more than what a single player should be able to accomplish?

Those questions are in all honestly stabs in the dark at trying to figure out what Bioware's intention is beyond that we were "overhealing". I can see arguments going both ways. You could argue that the aforementioned 300k healing total is supposed to be an achievement - and I personally no longer see it as such because I so frequently walk away with 300k as a bare minimum heal total (keep in mind my sole focus in warzones is healing and securing objectives; I rarely deal any damage unless it is Mortar Volley or a Hammershot to keep my ammo cost down and build up a charge). Is this wrong? It might be. But at the same time, there aren't many healers - at least on my server - breaking that threshold with that consistency. There are only a handful of healers that can produce that kind of healing, and I suspect those who do not regard that 300k medal as an accomplishment. So one could also argue that its really only the well-played healers that are putting up those numbers, and isn't that to be expected for someone as they master their class?

On paper, the 1.2 patch notes appear to be lowering the "skill ceiling" for Combat Medic, meaning they are restricting how much a good player can accomplish. This means there is also a smaller "skill gap", meaning there is less differentiation between an average and a good player. If this actually happens, it will be a sad thing to see - lowering skill ceilings is that last thing you want to see. I won't comment too much on DPS, but I'd argue their skill floor - the level of difficulty picking up the class - is quite low and would have the same effect for healers (less idiot DPS, more intelligent ones) because the added pressure would reduce such effectiveness significantly.

TLDR: Combat Medic is great at single target healing because we can sustain it with ammo management, along with our survival/utility cooldowns and smart CCs. It is what separates the average and the good healers currently, and some of the changes - at least on paper - appear to be heading in the direction of limiting what a good player can accomplish and blurring the line between average and good.

Edited by SpaniardInfinity

"The reason for some of the changes is in fact to increase the challenge level of top end content by tightening class balance. Healing through top end content was, as a fact, not tightly balanced enough in the past and a prime contributor to the fact that our top end difficulty content was just not providing the challenge level people expected."

Word for word what Georg said. Take it how you want, seems pretty obvious to me.

I love how instead of fixing content difficulty by adding in harder/more boss mechanics, they just nerf healers.

EV and KP bosses are easy because there are like 2 maybe 3 mechanics to adjust to. Hell, they are finally adding in the use of cleansing for 1.2. Seriously?

This game is not easy because one class does X damage and another class does Y healing. This game is easy because the developers created boss encounters that had insufficient mechanics.

Edited by Nocadoj

*snip*

Those questions are in all honestly stabs in the dark at trying to figure out what Bioware's intention is beyond that we were "overhealing". I can see arguments going both ways. You could argue that the aforementioned 300k healing total is supposed to be an achievement - and I personally no longer see it as such because I so frequently walk away with 300k as a bare minimum heal total (keep in mind my sole focus in warzones is healing and securing objectives; I rarely deal any damage unless it is Mortar Volley or a Hammershot to keep my ammo cost down and build up a charge). Is this wrong? It might be. But at the same time, there aren't many healers - at least on my server - breaking that threshold with that consistency. There are only a handful of healers that can produce that kind of healing, and I suspect those who do not regard that 300k medal as an accomplishment. So one could also argue that its really only the well-played healers that are putting up those numbers, and isn't that to be expected for someone as they master their class?

*snip*

This is something I would like to know as well. When I run with a tank I can always hit the 300k medal, and often hit 400+k. When I do not run with a tank and just solo queue 300k is often hard to hit. Huttball I rarely break 200k. The only times I have broken 500k was in voidstar where i didnt have a death and had less than 100k damage taken.

Also when we get a good group facing us I will be around 300k healing and 300k damage taken.

Healer output in PvP depends on the group you are facing and the group you are with. This is very important because in 1.2 they are adding ranked WZs. If both the group I am with and the group I am facing are pre made, Healers will not be putting out the 400k+ and rarely hit the 300k output. I really wish the devs would not nerf healers so badly at the same time as introducing real skill in PvP.

With the inability to cast a heal over 1.2k in less than 2.5 seconds Sorcs will not have a place in ranked WZs as healers.

Edited by Deadmanj

The only times I have broken 500k was in voidstar where i didnt have a death and had less than 100k damage taken.

I'm sorry m8, but if this is true then you got other things then patch notes to worry about. Alot of improvements to your overall gameplay can be made if you only broke 500k once.

This is something I would like to know as well. When I run with a tank I can always hit the 300k medal, and often hit 400+k. When I do not run with a tank and just solo queue 300k is often hard to hit. Huttball I rarely break 200k. The only times I have broken 500k was in voidstar where i didnt have a death and had less than 100k damage taken.

Also when we get a good group facing us I will be around 300k healing and 300k damage taken.

Healer output in PvP depends on the group you are facing and the group you are with. This is very important because in 1.2 they are adding ranked WZs. If both the group I am with and the group I am facing are pre made, Healers will not be putting out the 400k+ and rarely hit the 300k output. I really wish the devs would not nerf healers so badly at the same time as introducing real skill in PvP.

With the inability to cast a heal over 1.2k in less than 2.5 seconds Sorcs will not have a place in ranked WZs as healers.

I really disagree. Some of the highest healing numbers I've put up have been against good teams. And it's not like I wasn't getting targeted--my tank had over 200k protection. You shouldn't need a tank to hit 300k. If you do, you need to evaluate the way you're healing and what measures you're taking to avoid being focused.

I really disagree. Some of the highest healing numbers I've put up have been against good teams. And it's not like I wasn't getting targeted--my tank had over 200k protection. You shouldn't need a tank to hit 300k. If you do, you need to evaluate the way you're healing and what measures you're taking to avoid being focused.

I am not a battlemaster and dont have full champion yet. I am sorry that I am not the cream of the crop but instead of perhaps critiqueing what I said add something to it besides I am bad?

In all of the Wzs I have never seen anybody besides myself pass 500k, so perhaps you are overstating your skill a little?

I am not a battlemaster and dont have full champion yet. I am sorry that I am not the cream of the crop but instead of perhaps critiqueing what I said add something to it besides I am bad?

In all of the Wzs I have never seen anybody besides myself pass 500k, so perhaps you are overstating your skill a little?

People always seem to confuse healing done with skill.

In voidstar it is easy to pass 600k healing IF you are up against a team that focus on low AoE numbers, like Forcequake (I forgot what Sorc eq. is called) spamming Sorcs. They won't kill anyone and I'll keep everybody alive with AoE + bubble + deliverence. If I'm up against a team with heavy hits, numbers like that are close to impossible as I can't keep up with all the spike damage. Dead people won't boost those healing numbers.

A month ago I would pass 5-600k almost every single voidstar due to the heavy number of low spike Sorcs. These days I'm glad if I pass 400k in 1/5 of them. It's like every Sorc on my server rerolled Marauder, Powertech or Assassin. It's bad enough as it is, if these healing nerfs go through Trauma debuff HAS to go. Otherwise I see no way in hell I will survive when facing a good team. It's hard enough already, and I am lucky to play with a competent team and a tank who detaunt/peels like a god.

Edited by Senefera

I'm in champion gear, not cbm. I'm not a sage, and I'm not the right person to give you healing tips. When you say that you think healers are too easy to kill and are weak, though, based on the numbers you put up, I'm going to disagree. What it comes down to, I think, is that you lack experience. I've seen sages close to 700k on a few occasions, so when you say you don't even have champion gear and you haven't seen these numbers, I conclude that you just haven't played that much.

At rank 54, many serious PvPers would consider me inexperienced. Rank 50-60, in the current system, is well over 100 matches and would have been several hundred before they buffed valor gain.

It's true that the healing number depends a lot on the group of people in the WZ, but I consider ~300k a minimum for a full WZ. Unless you're in centurion/pve gear, you can do better. Since you're complaining about ranked WZs, though, I'm assuming your gear isn't as bad as that.

A month ago I would pass 5-600k almost every single voidstar due to the heavy number of low spike Sorcs. These days I'm glad if I pass 400k in 1/5 of them. It's like every Sorc on my server rerolled Marauder, Powertech or Assassin.

They read the patch notes, eh?

Edited by Sinemetu

I am sorry but the sage/trooper healers on lord calypho want a word with you these guys on the rep side are unstoppable and its the way they combine their pre mades and props to them they know how strong that combination is and are using the op healing mechanics to great effect so dry your eyes easy mode has finished for you well done GZ and BW:p

LMAO Unstopable? Really? Such praises! Except that everytime I PUG I spend more time in res box than I do actually healing. And when I PUG vs a premade I spend almost the entire WZ in the res box. Imps have DPS dishing out 5K hits on every hit, but I'm not sure if I know of single healer than can consistently serve up a 2.5K heal without popping a relic. Game nerfs my heals by 30% for WZ. I wonder how you'd feel if they nerfed your DPS by 30%. Imps benefit from exactly the same Op healing mechanics, mirror classes....so...try again...

In WZ right now- all it takes is one stun to land on a sage/sorc at the wrong time, and they're dead before they can run away. 2 dps can burn a sage/sorc down so fast that there isn't any time to even try to save them. And practically the only ability that would actually save them~ is a rescue sage/sorc ability. I certainly don't see people being peeled off me, or my team leaping to my defense. A well geared dps can burn down a well geared sage/sorc in 4 hits. A talented scoundrel/agent can burn down a sage/sorc from stealth before they can get a single cast in, if they catch them at the right time. So I don't know where people get the idea that sage/sorc are OP. Not when our gap creator will barely get us out of the range of the gap closers of other classes. And we can't do our job without being in range of those same gap closers. We die so fast that if the other team has a competent healer present, they can ignore our tanks/dps & just zerg the healer. And that's a lot of what is going on right now- whichever side finds/zergs the other side's healers first is the side that caps. Almost all caps for the enemy team happen while I'm in the res box. Frequently because I was left to guard a cap by medal greedy players on my own team. I'm guessing they assume that I want the job because I'm meditating after we made the cap.

Yes a sage/sorc with 1 tank & 1 dps can prevent a cap by 6 players in CW or VS. But only if the attackers don't have a healer with them. Only so long as allies continue to stream back to the location from the res box. And the attackers continue to use their stuns/interupts/KB on the tank & dps. I've been the healer in that situation many times, and after a few deaths- the attackers nearly always pull their heads out of their ****. By the same token, I can't tell you how many games that I won were losing games until someone on my team landed a stun/interrupt/KB on an enemy healer at just the right moment.

Players are more proficient at peeling healers out of groups and focusing them down, than tanks and dps are at protecting them. Commando/BH pulls have greater range than guard. And by the end of every WZ almost every sage/sorc is being deliberately targeted by more than 1 dps trying to medal farm. Before the recent changes to how healers were awarded medals, about the best you could do as a sage/sorc was 4 per WZ. Imagine trying to make BM 3 or 4 medals at a time, while essentially being griefed by some player on the other team. Sages/Sorc had been playing that game every WZ until a few weeks ago.

After the 1.2 nerf you may not see many sage/sorc healers in WZ anymore.

so please enlighten me on how you stay alive vs. 2 fully battlemaster dps sticking to you like glue. i am all ears.

Because Sages aren't Holy Paladins? Why do you think you should have any kind of survivability against two well geared DPS, without peels?

Now, if you want to complain about DPS classes with nearly half a dozen functional interrupts (real interrupts and instant cast CC that serve that purpose), I'm with you.

But I don't see why an unprotected, light armor wearing healer should de facto be able to simultaneously tank two DPS while keeping themselves and their team alive.

But I don't see why an unprotected, light armor wearing healer should de facto be able to simultaneously tank two DPS while keeping themselves and their team alive.

Well, it's a good thing they can't, then, isn't it? Two geared DPS will take down a healer in extremely short order, currently. A single DPS can effectively shut down a healer if they are geared and competent. The only reason you would want 2 DPS on a healer is just so that you can faceroll them in seconds. I think the point this person was tying to make is that if it's like this now.....It's scary to think what it will be like in 1.2.

Well, it's a good thing they can't, then, isn't it? Two geared DPS will take down a healer in extremely short order, currently. A single DPS can effectively shut down a healer if they are geared and competent. The only reason you would want 2 DPS on a healer is just so that you can faceroll them in seconds. I think the point this person was tying to make is that if it's like this now.....It's scary to think what it will be like in 1.2.

Exactly! There are some people that have this completly false impression that sorcs exist that can stand in direct fire of 2 DPS while healing themselves and others. Further that if this is remotely possible it's not related to the bugged double heal, that they are finally fixing or to pre-50 warzone experiances or to complete gear mismatches or to people being entirely incapable of pressing their interupt key.

Can someone please provide proof they have actually witnessed this flying unicorn?

I'll save you the effort of firing up fraps.. you won't find it unless you stage the damn thing. :rolleyes:

I may have read it wrong, but the tone of her posts implied that she thinks that she should be able to do this.

I support the nerf. I know it's tough to find your fotm spec/class is no longer one, but it happens. Now you'll just have to work harder like other healers.

Lol, work harder... cause playing an Op or Merc healer is sooooo hard.. I know and run with several great op/merc healers < minus the soon to be mercs as they've all gone dps now> that put up just as high of #'s as sorc healers and don't find it hard at all to heal. Playing a sorc healer isn't all that hard either.. after 1.2 well, it's not gonna be hard, just pointless.

The difference between playing a dps or healer are on opposite ends of the spectrum. The only people that argue other-wise are those that only play dps and would never touch a healer. I've seen more then a few great "dps" specced players change specs to healing and wow, some of the funniest stuff you'll ever see. Special olympics 2.0. They last maybe a day then revert back to dps.

At the end of the day, what's killing this game is the skill level of the player-base. It is far lower then any other mmo easily. Everyone wants to feel this entitlement that if they can't 1v1 someone down every single time, well that class must be op'd, so let's cry on the forums and get out the nerf bats. It's just beyond sad when I just hit 50 with basically nothing for gear and I can double the dmg in warzones of full bm dps powertechs/mercs.

As I said I'm not even a sorcerer. Playing a juggernaut actually. Say I encounter a sorcerer, "Oh easy.. lets see if its gonna be 6k or 7k! Assassin medal probability - close to 90%"

I do NOT think like this for ANY other class in the game. Mercenaries can sure pack up a punch(well rocket but yeah), when they heal they are quite sturdy as well. Operatives are quite a bit of a problem unless I catch them in stealth. Healing one not so much though, rather easy kill. Sniper in good position can be problematic. Assassins are pretty strong too. Marauder is never to underestimate in 1v1 especially when they have all cooldowns ready. Only class I don't know much about is powertech because I haven't fought too many but they are certainly nowhere as squishy as a sorcerer.

However, this is thread about healing in general last time I checked. I'm yet to see any evidence/facts that healing is strong in this game in any shape or form(talking PvP of course).

EDIT: I may have gone bit far off topic but as nicely explained in first post, single damage dealer can lock a healer(sage in that example) giving him no room to do anything at all to save himself let alone heal anyone else.

^_^ With all due respect, sounds like you've fought bad healers mostly, as I can think of a number of ways to either keep you at bay or flee, or if need be, call my team-mates. One error alot of healers make is to panic and start spamming heals in an attempt to save themselves, forgetting *They* can stun you, CC you, shield themselves, run, LoS (ranged mostly), knockback, etc... And sorcs are a dps/heal class *with* an intterupt.

That being said, at 50 healing through/against mutliple targets is fairly easy for me, and we needed a nerf. O.o not this omg huge nerf we got, but a nerf. Hopes that the PTS has them reverse/change some of the nerfs.

The real change here for the pvp side is resource management. No longer will you be able to sit behind the lines spamming heals and bubbles all day. That's kinda the point we were making about Sorc/Sage heals being too OP. They can literally sit there all day spamming heals and bubbles on themselves and teammates to the point where if there are more than 1 or 2 people who can heal (*note, I said people who can heal, not dedicated healers) it is near impossible to take a single healer down without a coordinated attack of half a team.

This really shows up in Voidstar, where healers can set up in the middle around the pillars and basically keep their team alive through very concentrated attacks. Not to mention that their heal spec can still dish out enough internal/elemental damage to be a threat to melee and has utility up the rear to stay alive anyway. Melee is the eternal enemy of healers... right now, all they have to do is stun us, walk away, and heal then they're right back into it with minimal resource loss...

****ed up the quote bit my opinion starts here :)

any dps can at the least keep a sorc/sage healing themselves not allies with just a few attacks that before u add intterupts and stuns, the only time iv facing more than 1 dps and lived is when i had someone healing me,me healing me and a tank dpsing said enemies. any team that has any clue about how to play marks the healers then kills them offf first bein sorc/sage is instant death especially in voidstar as u cant avoid people.

i cant understand why ppl think we are op, yes we dont run outta force but if ppl actually attack us we dont live long enough for that to be a problem anyway

Edited by sfdeg

Right now our 2.5 sec cast heal can be dropped to 1.5 sec if you cast the HoT before hand. There is a BUG that allows us to do this twice in a row. They are removing the cast time reduction as well as fixing the bug.

It is not the fixing of the bug that sage/sorc are griping about. It is the changing of the buff. It makes us a lot more vulnerable to interrupts. It is the HoT/2.5 sec heal combo that allows us some survivability in PvP and when we lose that we will die a lot more.

Add to this that interrupt CDs are being lowered in 1.2 and it just makes a healer's life a waste in PvP. Remember there has to be a reason to bring a healer to a rated WZ. If a healer is not worth a dps, they are a liability and a waste of space in PVP.

i agree with all of this.

the interrupts now, even at quick cast times (1.2-1.4), makes being marked in a zone ridiculous. you can barely even self heal if your team is off tunnel-vision DPS'ing.

ill play it and see how it is, but Bioware probably crapped the bed on this big time.

Lol, work harder... cause playing an Op or Merc healer is sooooo hard.. I know and run with several great op/merc healers < minus the soon to be mercs as they've all gone dps now> that put up just as high of #'s as sorc healers and don't find it hard at all to heal. Playing a sorc healer isn't all that hard either.. after 1.2 well, it's not gonna be hard, just pointless.

your sage healers stink if they cant out-gun the other classes.

This thread is literally a very long way of saying...

"How do I heal in pvp if I cant heal myself and 3 other team mates while being attacked by 2 people?"

The answer is to be a skilled player.

Healing is currently overpowered. If you cant compete when the game isnt extremely easy, go find an easier game.

Hm, are you saying healers who complain are bad? If so, who is the one calling us OP? You are! Who was the one calling for nerfs? Dpsers! So, sir, looks like you can't compete with something that isn't easy. You totally called yourself bad.

If I misunderstood you, sorry.