Why is there no counter to Guard?

Scoloplastic

Tanks taunt as well. So those saying burn the healer down need to understand that mitigation with taunt is very effective.

Anyways, I think tanks guard is not nearly as powerful as the sage. IMO that class has the skills to pay the bills.

It has way more survivability and rolls in the warzones than my tank or my gunslinger.

You can help by guard with your shield. DPS and heal. You've got good knockbacks, snares and stuns.

Its got good range for the maps because LOS at 35m is a problem in all the maps for my gunslinger.

So I am very happy so far with my sage.

I am very unhappy with the utility of the gunslinger. He lacks the raw dps output I would expect of a pure dps class.

He's a pve player, but lacks a speed burst which in EV is annoying against SOA. In pvp it makes you dead.

Before you say I have l2p issues. I am pretty descent at the class and have a good build and rotation for pvp and the current maps.

GS just lacks defense and/or the offensive punch I expect when I sacrifice full utility.

The tank is what I'd expect. Leap is fun. It's interesting to play. I find pure melee pretty tough.

Guard can be countered by serious AOE dmg skills like Smash & Pulse Cannon. I've literally been killed in 0.5s by two Juggernauts double smashing on top of me and a healer. It was like 90% (18k hp max) and BOOM 10% -- dead. Edited by ComeAndSee

If we look at the 3 main archetypes of classes and their pvp roles in this game we have 2 that have various counters, and one that does not:

• DPS - Can be countered by CC'ing them, melees can also be kited to some extent, ranged can be LOSed to some extent.

• Healers - Can be countered by CC'ing them, as well as interrupts and healing debuffs. A sole dps might not always be enough to burst one healer, but a good one can\will keep a healer occupied and lower his healing output towards the rest the group

• Tanks - Main staple ability is guard - which has no counter - it is a fire and forget, 15m range ability. Once it's on someone, all the tank needs to make sure is that he is within 15m of his guarded ally. CC has absolutely no barring on it (even though logically it should, how can you guard someone when you are incapacitated?) and it cannot be removed, or have its efficiency lowered via some debuff, in any way possible.

I just think it's poor design to implement such a huge, game changing ability in your game and not give any counter whatsoever to it.

Thoughts?

Edit: Changed range to 15m - Which I still consider a large range. Since all tanks are very mobile and have a lot of gap closers, it's very hard to separate the tank and the one he's guarding.

I have not read all the replies so someone may have said this already...

Guard is counter-able. Its quite simple really--kill the tank.

Guard can be countered by serious AOE dmg skills like Smash & Pulse Cannon. I've literally been killed in 0.5s by two Juggernauts double smashing on top of me and a healer. It was like 90% (18k hp max) and BOOM 10% -- dead.

Yeah, i've accidentally killed Juggernauts who were guarding their healer by simply attacking the healer and the guarding tank eating every smash i throw at the healer.

Smash is the anti-guard ability.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.