Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

If they can make only certain characters go both ways then Im all for it. DS Jeasa would be perfect for both ways really aswell as that Bald pasty white girl in the agents story whos name escapes me at this time..... I'd rather avoid having to face another dragon age 2 where almost every party member will try to make me go into their ''Deep roads''when I least expect it. Whatever happened to the concept of like brothers or something? I mean Oghren considers you like family in Origins . Why not just leave it at that? You can really ruin a characters image if you make them turn that way. Want an example? Anders. Just bloody Anders!!!!

Let the game folk do what they want with it. They know the characters better than we do.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they can make only certain characters go both ways then Im all for it. DS Jeasa would be perfect for both ways really aswell as that Bald pasty white girl in the agents story whos name escapes me at this time..... I'd rather avoid having to face another dragon age 2 where almost every party member will try to make me go into their ''Deep roads''when I least expect it. Whatever happened to the concept of like brothers or something? I mean Oghren considers you like family in Origins . Why not just leave it at that? You can really ruin a characters image if you make them turn that way. Want an example? Anders. Just bloody Anders!!!!

Let the game folk do what they want with it. They know the characters better than we do.

well, to be fair, to most people DA2 isn't a good example for a Bioware game in any aspect, so I can't really see them go that way again. I think they've realised that the whole 'sims-effect' (everyone just loves everything, including alients and plants) isn't always the best option.

I personally hope Jaesa will .not. be a 'both ways' option, and it's going to be Vette instead. I admit, though, it's purely out of self-interest. I know when I played my male warrior I .was. a little disappointed that I couldn't court her because I played LS, so I'll forgive BW if they give my female warrior her exclusively (aka LS Jaesa is a lesbian, where DS Jaesa is straight :p)

I know it's probably not going to happen and not everybody would be happy about it, but I don't care :p

well, to be fair, to most people DA2 isn't a good example for a Bioware game in any aspect, so I can't really see them go that way again. I think they've realised that the whole 'sims-effect' (everyone just loves everything, including alients and plants) isn't always the best option.

To be fair, for a lot of people DA2 is exactly the perfect example of a Bioware game, in just about every aspect. Opinions, everyone has one, and gauging the value of a thing by the reaction on internet forums is never an accurate assessment. See ME3 - was it perfect? No. Is the reaction to it that you can see all over the net proportional and appropriate? Not at all.

I loved the hell out of DA2. I loved that we got to choose who we wanted to love, regardless of gender. And it's not even true that everyone was bi - Sebastian wasn't, and Aveline was stringing me along until it was way too late to pick someone else - she only had eyes for her man.

Another thing that isn't true is that Anders will always inevitably put Hawke in the position to choose between flirting and pissing him off - that only happens to purely diplomatic Hawkes who agree with everything he says. So please, I know it's a popular scapegoat, but let's leave the myths where they belong - in Varric's little collection of romance novels.

If SWTOR took a page out of DA2's book when it comes to romance, I would welcome it. DA2 was an amazing game and a brave narrative departure from your normal RPG. There was never anything wrong with companions that would fall for the hero no matter the gender and I have yet to see a good argument against it. A lot of the time, not saying this is true for anyone here, but a lot of the time, when people say companions should have a defined sexuality, what they mean is that there should be more companions for them and them alone. Usually it means token bi characters like in DA: Origins, with the more narratively important romances reserved for straight people.

DA2 had its share of problems, but when it comes to romance not being like Origins wasn't one of them. And SWTOR would do well to look at DA2 and ME3 for its romance content - those two games have slightly different approaches, but they are far ahead of the curve when it comes to how to do SGRAs right.

I personally liked the companion system of DA2, thanks for the assumptions :rolleyes:

What exactly do you think I assumed? I was merely reacting to the statement I quoted and the post above yours about Anders and the idea that DA2 is unilaterally considered a bad game, especially when it comes to the way romance was handled. If I misunderstood, I apologize, but I don't really see how I made assumptions about your personal preferences.

Oh I'm, I'm so sory. I hope my post was not perceived as trolling, of any kind. I'd never even imagine trolling this thread.

My apologies please, forive me if I have seemed as such.

I have much to learn, master. :jawa_redface:

Ack! That's not what I meant at all! :eek: I was just trying to come up with an amusing, Yoda-like way to encourage patience on this. Maybe I'm not as clever after a shot of rum as I think I am.

I do believe I've found a new part for my sig. :D

As did I! ;)

...or maybe I am. :o Y'all are too kind to me.

I'm also hoping SGRs will have 2 choices available, possibly both bi. For example, give LS and DS Jaesa for the ladies and gents as well as Pierce. It's not the greatest examples; people have mixed feelings about both companions. However, this way it'll open up more options for all. I'd love to be able to log into Kit one day and see that both Pierce and Jaesa wish to see me in private. I do know that some male versions of classes get more than one potential LI(such as SW getting both Vette and DS Jaesa as options), but it would be nice if SGRs lead to more possible LIs for everyone else too. Both for the LGBT and the PFLAG community. Plus, I'd love to watch Jaesa react if Kit is able to flirt with her. It would be nice to see her look pleasantly surprised and a little bashful for once. :D

Do you think having 2 bisexual companions and 1 OGR companion is a good way to go? Or would that sound too much like the "hero-sexuality" that some players are against. I'm honestly curious.

I'm actually in favor of hero-sexuality, as it's such a common fictional trope for two people who get into all kinds of danger together to end up romantically involved. :D I see no reason why that sort of thing should be gender-restricted. And I think SGRs will lead to more love interests for everyone - how could they not? The Smuggler class currently has three possible love interests, though no one gets all three, as it's gender-based. If all currently-romanceable characters become SGR-available, then that just means everyone gets at least two possible love interests, while some classes get three.

Hope that made sense, I'm writing this when I should be in the car and going to work. Oi.

I'm sorry MusedMoose, I was a bit overtired last night, and I took that completely the wrong way. >_<

DA2 had its share of problems, but when it comes to romance not being like Origins wasn't one of them. And SWTOR would do well to look at DA2 and ME3 for its romance content - those two games have slightly different approaches, but they are far ahead of the curve when it comes to how to do SGRAs right.

Ohhh I agree! If we have the freedom to love like we did in DA2, oh man....oh that would just make this game perfect.

I'm actually in favor of hero-sexuality, as it's such a common fictional trope for two people who get into all kinds of danger together to end up romantically involved. :D I see no reason why that sort of thing should be gender-restricted. And I think SGRs will lead to more love interests for everyone - how could they not? The Smuggler class currently has three possible love interests, though no one gets all three, as it's gender-based. If all currently-romanceable characters become SGR-available, then that just means everyone gets at least two possible love interests, while some classes get three.

Exactly!

I love this thread, and you guys. ^_^

Edited by JediElf

What exactly do you think I assumed? I was merely reacting to the statement I quoted and the post above yours about Anders and the idea that DA2 is unilaterally considered a bad game, especially when it comes to the way romance was handled. If I misunderstood, I apologize, but I don't really see how I made assumptions about your personal preferences.

when you use my exact wording, how exactly can I not take it personally? this is obviously going off-topic, though. (I didn't make any such statements about DA2 anyway, it was me replying to that statement in pointing out more than not, people were .not. happy with DA2 overall, and please don't deny that)

Please, no need to argue about DA2 guys. :cool:

Bioware already said that they are going with a different route with the SGRs in this game. I also haven't played DA2 yet, and I have only heard rumors about it's romance content in that. I'm trying not to get too many more spoilers about the game and I really don't want any now. I'll save my opinion until I play it.

I didn't mean for my question to start any fights. :(

Edit: Nevermind, Moose answered my question for me. It's almost bedtime :p

If all currently-romanceable characters become SGR-available, then that just means everyone gets at least two possible love interests, while some classes get three..
Edited by natashina

when you use my exact wording, how exactly can I not take it personally? this is obviously going off-topic, though. (I didn't make any such statements about DA2 anyway, it was me replying to that statement in pointing out more than not, people were .not. happy with DA2 overall, and please don't deny that)

Then I apologize for quoting you - I did not mean to imply that I thought you personally held these beliefs, only that the beliefs themselves are not all there is.

And I will not deny that the haters were loud and insistent. Just as they are now for ME3, just as they are for this game. Bioware has one of the most toxic fandoms I have ever seen. It's like these people love to hate them. What I mean is merely that this is not a representative sample of the entire player base. A lot of people loved DA2, but the environment then, as now, was such that saying so got you flamed from here to Kirkwall.

To get back on topic, I still think that this game is bigger on customizing the companions with armor and even skin color/facial features than any Bioware game before, and that their interests already run to some wildly different species and personalities/politics/moralities if you stuff them full of gifts - for the devs to insist that sexuality must be unchangeable when everything else about them is fluid seems somewhat silly.

OK - so first ever post, but the subject and love contained in this thread made me come out of the woodwork. Mostly I just lurk for advice on classes and spoilers and try to ignore the flame wars and crying.

First off, to those that aren't necessarily LGBT but are supportive, you're awesome and you make me squee - thank you.

I remember the first video game that I saw SGRs in (Fable) - I was *so* excited and moved , I can't even explain. So I think it's amazing that bioware is including this and to know that this issue is definitely on their radar.

I'm also excited because I've really enjoyed what I've seen of the companions so far (which is admitedly not a ton). I played a SW female toon (I typically do so that I'm able to romance the guys) and while I'm not a fan of Quinn, I still romanced him to see the story line. While it overlaps a bit with the class storyline...

I have to say - I was completely blindsided by his betrayal and was genuinely hurt! When they can make me feel that way over a companion that I didn't even really like - that's entertainment! Seriously, I trusted him! I thought Pierce was lying or leading me astray! Hurt!

So I can't wait to see what they can do with SGR and what drama will unfold. I agree, that there's something missing without these and I totally want them here now, now now. But I also want them to take as much time as they need to make all of the new and old companion storylines equally as compelling.

All that being said (longwinded) - I apologized if I missed this, but are they planning to make most/all companions available as romance options to characters of either gender? On one hand, I like the idea so that everyone can romance their dreamboat(s) (I prefer Vector to Quinn).

On the otherhand, It would seem more real to me if certain characters were straight, bi, curious, or gay. Like assigning each one a sort of kinsey scale rating:

1. Not gonna happen

2. Maybe with the right choices and really high affection and a little liquor

3. Sure, I'll give it a whirl if I like you

4. You might be bad for me, but you're so good at it

5. ***swoon***

Thoughts? Opinions? Hateful comments? :p

OK - so first ever post, but the subject and love contained in this thread made me come out of the woodwork. Mostly I just lurk for advice on classes and spoilers and try to ignore the flame wars and crying.

First off, to those that aren't necessarily LGBT but are supportive, you're awesome and you make me squee - thank you.

Welcome to the thread! We try to avoid flame wars. Emotions get heated sometimes, but usually we move on quite well. Thanks for the support. :D

I remember the first video game that I saw SGRs in (Fable) - I was *so* excited and moved , I can't even explain. So I think it's amazing that bioware is including this and to know that this issue is definitely on their radar.

I'm also excited because I've really enjoyed what I've seen of the companions so far (which is admitedly not a ton). I played a SW female toon (I typically do so that I'm able to romance the guys) and while I'm not a fan of Quinn, I still romanced him to see the story line. While it overlaps a bit with the class storyline...

I have to say - I was completely blindsided by his betrayal and was genuinely hurt! When they can make me feel that way over a companion that I didn't even really like - that's entertainment! Seriously, I trusted him! I thought Pierce was lying or leading me astray! Hurt!

You aren't alone on that one. It took me quite some time before I could even mellow about Quinn. And I'm a little unhappy that there wasn't a Plan B for the ladies(my vote for Pierce) and there is one for guys(think DS Jaesa is too crazy? Try Vette!) I think that will be rectified with the implementation of SGRS.

So I can't wait to see what they can do with SGR and what drama will unfold. I agree, that there's something missing without these and I totally want them here now, now now. But I also want them to take as much time as they need to make all of the new and old companion storylines equally as compelling.

Same. We have fun guessing what might come next. :cool:

All that being said (longwinded) - I apologized if I missed this, but are they planning to make most/all companions available as romance options to characters of either gender? On one hand, I like the idea so that everyone can romance their dreamboat(s) (I prefer Vector to Quinn).

On the otherhand, It would seem more real to me if certain characters were straight, bi, curious, or gay. Like assigning each one a sort of kinsey scale rating:

1. Not gonna happen

5. ***swoon***

Well, I think they knew who they were making available for SGRs from the start. It'll probably be hard to give any tell tale signs without possibly changing the characteristics of the companions. I like your list though. I just don't want another fade to black scene and still stuck being alone(on my SW) with only Quinn for potential romantic company. Pierce seems to be currently considered between "not gonna happen" and "maybe with the right choices." To be frank, I'd rather have them give it to us fully, not just a half-hearted one night stand with no follow through. ;)

Edited by natashina

To be frank, I'd rather have them give it to us fully, not just a half-hearted one night stand with no follow through.

Oh! I didn't mean this so much in the one night stand sense (though realistic if your character makes a lot of choices the companion doesn't like). I more meant the, 'I'm not typically attracted to your gender but you're all kinds of awesome," complete with a slower building relationship.

I just can't help but think of all the dialogue options in either case. Though, admittedly, that's probably a bit too much detail into the companion system. I'm one of those that wants/needs about 18 different options in most conversations rather than the 3.

1. Not gonna happen

5. ***swoon***

If you've got everyone herosexual (i.e. regardless of their history that may or may not be straight/gay, they can develop feelings for a hero of either gender. Functionally they'd be bisexual but only if you look at it from a meta perspective), that's maybe not as realistic, but it is the most fair for everyone, giving us the most choice for each character.

If we've got characters with set sexuality, we need a lot of companions to reach that same level of fairness and people will still want those they can't have. I know this is vaguely what they intend, but I'm afraid it tends to come out badly for the non-straight characters, or funnily enough, women. Just statistically and with the number of choices provided to us.

With the limited amount of characters, we tend to get exclusively straight ones, and then bisexual ones to give SGRA options. Exclusively gay romance options are very, very rare. Not to say Bioware doesn't do them, they absolutely do, just that compared to straight options, there is an imbalance. This is saying nothing of the quality, of course, which is usually top notch, just that it often railroads our choices.

My opinion is generally the more choices we have the better. I'd love it if at least the early romance companions (those we get within the first two or three planets, who spend most of the leveling experience with us) would be available for both genders. These are arguably the companions that have the power to affect us the most throughout the story. Corso, Kira, Aric, Mako, Vette - whatever people think of them, it's hard to deny that they have a pretty big impact on how we feel about our classes and our story. I would absolutely like to see exclusively gay options if they think they can do them well - frankly, Zenith strikes me as someone who was always meant to be a romance and if he's going to be gay only, I won't complain (I might even roll another consular just for him). But I'm also aware that they don't have infinite resources and that the game doesn't really support a too large number of personal companions for each class. When the bunks are full, the bunks are full ;)

Realism isn't going to work with just five companions each, not statistically, because that means there would only be a single gay or lesbian or bisexual companion for every third class or so. And I don't know about you, but I'd rather they all be technically bisexual than only getting a gay one for a Consular, a lesbian on the Smuggler and two bisexuals for the imps.

Uh, sorry for the long post. I have a lot of feelings today.

Welcome aboard, Petula! In an ideal world full of choices, I'd love to see romance companions that were exclusively straight or gay, or anywhere in between. But as Suaine pointed out, since we have such a small pool of companions to begin with (even with possible new ones added here or there, it won't be THAT many), it might be hard to spread those sorts of options around in a fair manner.

Now if the game was set up with, say, 10 potential companions and you could recruit 5 of your choice or something, maybe that kinda thing could be done... Maybe someday, in some game. :o

In SGR news, just saw this via Twitter:

EA defends itself against thousands of anti-gay letters

"Worst company" or no, they're still fighting the good fight on this front. :)

PS. I'm pretty sure some of the comments mentioned are in reference to this thread. ;)

PS. I'm pretty sure some of the comments mentioned are in reference to this thread. ;)

They are, actually! I read the original call to arms from one of the Florida based letter campaigns and they even had links to this thread and everything XD We're internet famous :p

Now if the game was set up with, say, 10 potential companions and you could recruit 5 of your choice or something, maybe that kinda thing could be done... Maybe someday, in some game.

I'd *love* to see that - though I probably would have kicked Quinn out really quick. :)

Also, anyone know of a good LGBT friendly guild on Mind Trick (Empire) or Drooga's Pleasure Barge (Republic)? I've joined (and quit) a few - would be nice to find a place to call home. :) I'm even open to joining another server if need be.

Would it be possible to make a companion's gender preference a customization? Then that could be decided when we pick their look, and we'd be able to romance the character we are interested in.

Would it be possible to make a companion's gender preference a customization? Then that could be decided when we pick their look, and we'd be able to romance the character we are interested in.

I think it would be best to leave them ambiguous, imo. Have them react to each player character on an individual basis.

I think it would be best to leave them ambiguous, imo. Have them react to each player character on an individual basis.

I'm conlicted about this: I'd like to be able to determine which kind of romance I'm looking for on a specific companion but at the same time I enjoy discovering them IG through various talks. Who said women are hard to content? :D

As a side note:

They are, actually! I read the original call to arms from one of the Florida based letter campaigns and they even had links to this thread and everything XD We're internet famous :p

What saddens me is that those letter campaigns still exist. I might be living in some ideal world in my mind but I fail at understanding the reason for them to be. :(

You aren't alone on that one. It took me quite some time before I could even mellow about Quinn. And I'm a little unhappy that there wasn't a Plan B for the ladies(my vote for Pierce) and there is one for guys(think DS Jaesa is too crazy? Try Vette!) I think that will be rectified with the implementation of SGRS.

Perhaps it's the SGA already going on in my head, and my fella being Dark 3...but I said to myself. *not giving anything away*

"Oh Quinn, what a fine Sith you would make." :jawa_evil:

I just wish, I had that conversation option....I went easy on him.

Personally, that would be my dream. The story possibles would be endless...oh the alts I could make.

:jawa_cool:

In SGR news, just saw this via Twitter:

EA defends itself against thousands of anti-gay letters

"Worst company" or no, they're still fighting the good fight on this front. :)

That article just made my day! Whoohoo! Go EA! Fight the good fight!

*cheers*

Edited by JediElf

Perhaps it's the SGA already going on in my head, and my fella being Dark 3...but I said to myself. *not giving anything away*

"Oh Quinn, what a fine Sith you would make." :jawa_evil:

I just wish, I had that conversation option....I went easy on him.

Personally, that would be my dream. The story possibles would be endless...oh the alts I could make.

:jawa_cool:

I still want to shove Quinn out the nearest Airlock while in Hyperspace... He is just OFF as far as humanity goes. He strikes me as the type that if he wasn't an Imperial officer, he would be a serial killer with severe mommy issues. :mad:

I still want to shove Quinn out the nearest Airlock while in Hyperspace... He is just OFF as far as humanity goes. He strikes me as the type that if he wasn't an Imperial officer, he would be a serial killer with severe mommy issues. :mad:

Perhaps it's just me....and perhaps it is....but...

When I was shocking that noble on Alderaan I got huge affection from him, and a corner of my mouth curled into a smile.

The fact that he's not a swaggering romantic, that he's got an edge, and a real darkness to him, just makes me really, really drawn in, and intrigued with his character. He's fascinating.

I honestly can't wait to see what happens in chapter 4, where are they gonna take this.

Perhaps it's just me....and perhaps it is....but...

When I was shocking that noble on Alderaan I got huge affection from him, and a corner of my mouth curled into a smile.

The fact that he's not a swaggering romantic, that he's got an edge, and a real darkness to him, just makes me really, really drawn in, and intrigued with his character. He's fascinating.

I honestly can't wait to see what happens in chapter 4, where are they gonna take this.

A lot of ladies like bad boys. Fact of life. Which is why I'm happy and lucky to have one who doesn't like bad boys. :)