Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Some of the posters that have come in have mixed feelings about SGRs. I figure as long as they are being reasonable and polite, they should be responded to in the same way. I can understand, since there is a lot of confusion and misunderstanding right now. I try not to dismiss anyone that has a different viewpoint of out hand while giving my take on their questions.

Oh, of course! I wasn't accusing anyone with the dissenting opinion of being constantly hostile. Just saying that we've had a lot less militant-moral-crusaders since the confirmation, which avoids provoking the hostile supporters in this thread (read; me. :cool:) Just all around friendlier and civil. So long as that remains, people can disagree all they want. :D

I don't think ALL love interests that are currently in the game be bisexual for our characters, but I really hope SGRs open up more options across the board.

This is what has me worried now. I always pick the wrong characters. :( In movies, they always die or turn evil. In games, they never swing my way (</3 Morrigan. It's a good thing Leliana was so darn cute. >_>)

So I know that somehow, I'm not going to get a character I like for SGR.

I'm praying to every god in existence that they release some info on the options between now and the release.

Edited by Raiellyn

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, of course! I wasn't accusing anyone with the dissenting opinion of being constantly hostile. Just saying that we've had a lot less militant-moral-crusaders since the confirmation, which avoids provoking the hostile supporters in this thread (read; me. :cool:) Just all around friendlier and civil. So long as that remains, people can disagree all they want. :D

I've seen your posts in various other threads, since I'm a big lurker elsewhere. I know you are good peoples. :cool:

This is what has me worried now. I always pick the wrong characters. :( In movies, they always die or turn evil. In games, they never swing my way (</3 Morrigan. It's a good thing Leliana was so darn cute. >_>)

So I know that somehow, I'm not going to get a character I like for SGR.

I'm praying to every god in existence that they release some info on the options between now and the release.

I feel your pain on both counts. All my TV shows keep getting cancelled and I don't even watch much TV. :(

However, try to keep an open mind. I really hope at least a couple of the companions you want will be available. Who do you have your eye on? Personally, I'd like to roll another JK down the road and be able to have a female romance with Kira. With my lvl 1 smuggler and my lvl 1 IA, I don't know the companions well enough to really be able to say currently. I'm waiting until I play those classes to find out. ;)

Edited by natashina

Oh and info sooner than later would be nice. I am in concord with you on this thought. :D

However, I don't want them to say much more on the stories until they get it implemented. I've seen other games promise one thing in the story too far in advance only to have it scrapped later. Edit: Or left only to the novels. :mad:

I'm also very very curious as to how new romance arcs and SGR stories are going to play out in a MMORPG. Just seeing SGRs get treated with respect and dignity in many types of visual media can be a rare thing. I sometimes wonder how the conversations with Kira about love/marriage would go as a female JK? I'm sure some of the details would be different. I'm very thankful they didn't go with the pronoun swapping route due to stories like that. I won't go into detail, but suffice to say those conversations about children would go differently for a lady JK than with a male JK. :cool:

Edited by natashina

One last thought and then I'll stop my flurry of posts :p

When the patch that includes SGRs is available for beta testing, I'm going to try to get in. This is going to be a great time to have our thread/our community give Bioware direct feedback about SGRs, and about the game in general. :cool:

female romance with Kira

A thousand times this. She's cute, she snarks, she's a fundamentally good person with a dark, violent past and a terrible secret, she can be a redhead (I have a huge thing for redheads)... and voiced by Laura Bailey to boot?

I cannot even begin to express how shattered my heart was when I learned that SGRs weren't in the game yet.

Every time Kira makes a quip, every time she deadpans some witticism, just... just... just everything she does is fantastic.

And there's my poor JK, staring forlornly at Kira on the bridge....

foreveralone.jpg

I refuse to play any further than Act 1 until this travesty is corrected!

Also my Sith Warrior desperately wants in Vette's pants.

Just to comment on the idea of SGRs being added as endgame content: Daniel Erickson's comment in the panel was that they were not going to "go in and just change dialogue to make it work for both genders". To me, that's clearly talking about existing content. And then the mentions of, SGRs didn't make it at launch but there are clearly defined plans... IMO, that sounds like the original plan was to have SGRs from level 1 (or, you know, whatever level you get your companions ;) ), and now that they want to Do It Right, I expect that means they'd be fully integrated into the leveling story.

Still not sure how they'd address the problem of characters being at endgame, but I'm sure they're aware of the issue. :o

Just to comment on the idea of SGRs being added as endgame content: Daniel Erickson's comment in the panel was that they were not going to "go in and just change dialogue to make it work for both genders". To me, that's clearly talking about existing content. And then the mentions of, SGRs didn't make it at launch but there are clearly defined plans... IMO, that sounds like the original plan was to have SGRs from level 1 (or, you know, whatever level you get your companions ;) ), and now that they want to Do It Right, I expect that means they'd be fully integrated into the leveling story.

Still not sure how they'd address the problem of characters being at endgame, but I'm sure they're aware of the issue. :o

Agreed and good to see you back. :)

A thousand times this. She's cute, she snarks, she's a fundamentally good person with a dark, violent past and a terrible secret, she can be a redhead (I have a huge thing for redheads)... and voiced by Laura Bailey to boot?

I cannot even begin to express how shattered my heart was when I learned that SGRs weren't in the game yet.

Every time Kira makes a quip, every time she deadpans some witticism, just... just... just everything she does is fantastic.

And there's my poor JK, staring forlornly at Kira on the bridge....

foreveralone.jpg

I refuse to play any further than Act 1 until this travesty is corrected!

Also my Sith Warrior desperately wants in Vette's pants.

I hear you, on all of that. :( Kira is totally the Gabrielle to my JK's Xena, and the two of them have just been hanging out on the Republic station for quite a while. I'm probably going to restart my JK once SGRs are in, just so the two of them can get things started right. :D

And while my SW is male, my female BH has many similar feelings regarding Mako's pants.

Since the romance 'missions' are triggered by both the story and the affection levels, I can guess how this will play out. For low-level characters, it'll happen like it does now - your companion will want to talk (and more than talk) at various points in the story, based on affection levels. For higher-level characters, you'll get a lot of the romance missions at once. I'm guessing this because, when I hit a certain point on my SW, he suddenly had 4 or 5 talking missions with Vette.

So those of you who have hit level 50, maxed out your companion's affections, and still no SGR lovin'? You may have a whirlwind romance on the horizon. :D :D :D

By the way Vette says EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW when you and DS Jaesa propose a threesome, she's either A. Straight, or B. NOT into threesomes. And as probably the most old fashioned lady in the game, romance wise, I would guess C. Both of the above. :)

Okay, last post before I go to bed. I was going to comment on this before I got distracted. :o

The answer is D): Vette is creeped out by DS Jaesa. I think it's Jaesa herself that makes Vette go :eek: and not due to being the same gender. I think a person raised as a slave in the Empire has seen people like Jaesa and wants nothing to do with them. As you so eloquently put it:

Yes, DS Jaesa IS a few nuts short of a Snickers bar.
That made me giggle when I read that. :jawa_biggrin:

Many of the answers I pick around DS Jaesa go directly counter to the answers I pick when Vette is out. And even I find DS Jaesa's bloodlust to be a little disturbing. Fun, but disturbing. If it can be said definitively about which way Vette tends to swing, it's towards lighter hearted people that don't like to do genocides for fun in their spare time. Again, I see DS Jaesa as the perfect match for my SW lady and even then Jaesa makes me(as a player) a little nervous sometimes. However, see comments about crazy women and straightjackets. :p

Anyhow, I think Vette's story would translate well to SGRs. I think I have a pretty good example from the romance arc.

There are spoilers ahead for the male SW romance with Vette. :wea_03: I got accidentally spoiled on that, so enter at your own risk:

In the SW romance arc with Vette, she talks about how they probably couldn't have children and would have to adopt. That story can be easily expanded upon for SGRs.

Edit: Why no Vette for me? Because she's too good hearted for my SW and Kitiara knows it.

Edited by natashina

Since the romance 'missions' are triggered by both the story and the affection levels, I can guess how this will play out. For low-level characters, it'll happen like it does now - your companion will want to talk (and more than talk) at various points in the story, based on affection levels. For higher-level characters, you'll get a lot of the romance missions at once. I'm guessing this because, when I hit a certain point on my SW, he suddenly had 4 or 5 talking missions with Vette.

So those of you who have hit level 50, maxed out your companion's affections, and still no SGR lovin'? You may have a whirlwind romance on the horizon. :D :D :D

That probably makes a lot of sense. It seems logical that companion "missions" have simple flags that decide when they become available. For example:

Kira f/f romance mission 1:

Requires gender: female

Requires affection: x

Requires level: y

Kira f/f romance mission 2:

Requires Kira romance mission 1 completed with outcome "interested"

... or something like that. I haven't really played that much, so I don't know that much about the game. It will be interesting to see how they do it, but it's a definite possibility that it'll be just as you describe: possibility of whirlwind romance for lvl 50 with maxed affection and regular for new characters.

Edited by gekko_s

I said My Imperial characters. Most of whom are already in a relationship. Of the only one of them who I don't have a clear idea of who they're romancing, Ashara doesn't match up with Angry and Vengeful Sith very well.

She may not match up with an Angry and Vengeful Sith, but that is why you show her your soft and sweet side :)

That probably makes a lot of sense. It seems logical that companion "missions" have simple flags that decide when they become available. For example:

... or something like that. I haven't really played that much, so I don't know that much about the game. It will be interesting to see how they do it, but it's a definite possibility that it'll be just as you describe: possibility of whirlwind romance for lvl 50 with maxed affection and regular for new characters.

And for higher romance missions:

Requires class story completion phase: z

*sigh* I just wish my male SW could romance Quinn. It seems like (to me) that it's obvious that Quinn was meant to be either both, or a male romance option.

So I keep handing him expensive courting gifts and, despite just skirting Dark 4, I'm allwas respectful and nice to him....alas....

T'was meant to be....and yet...

Edited by JediElf

*sigh* I just wish my male SW could romance Quinn. It seems like (to me) that it's obvious that Quinn was meant to be either both, or a male romance option.

So I keep handing him expensive courting gifts and, despite just skirting Dark 4, I'm allwas respectful and nice to him....alas....

Ah, don't give up. :jawa_biggrin: Bioware hasn't backed down on their stance about LGBT content in games. Believe me, a MMO is an evolving work in progress. It'll get added. I know it's hard to wait, but I know that BW isn't going to back down.

I'm Dark IV on Kit as well, but it's mainly due to some of the choices I picked for myself. I didn't do it for my companions, although Vette seemed pleased when I would pick the nicer option. DS Jaesa, on the other hand, loves it when I'm as bloodthirsty and cruel. Sometimes I break out Vette just for the change of pace. :p

I agree that some companions were meant to be available to all, but still got scrapped due to money and budget issues. They even say as such in the Guild Summit vid. If you can, try to remember this: They said at the Guild Summit and on several interviews that they aren't backing down. In the meantime, try to keep a positive face. Remember, the devs are listening.

Edit: Captain_Zone, I hope I didn't make you feel like I was picking on you yesterday. I really enjoy conversing with ya. :cool:

Edited by natashina

And for higher romance missions:

Requires class story completion phase: z

I thought these were excellent ideas and it really makes sense. If they get the dialog in place, those triggers would work quite well. It seems like the most sensible decision in my humble opinion. :)

Patience, young Padawan. :D Remember that impatience is the path to the Dark Side. Impatience leads to grumpiness, grumpiness leads to trolling, and trolling... leads to infractions. :p

But seriously, at least we know that SGRs will be coming this year. BioWare really has done us a good turn by letting us know this far in advance about an upcoming feature. They seem to be playing things close to their collective vests when it comes to upcoming content, probably so they don't have to worry about discussing things and not having them become part of the game. One of the big reasons I generally avoided the WoW boards was the cries of "Blizzard promised us [some feature they might have scarcely mentioned months or years ago], WHERE IS IT?!?", and I don't think anybody wants that. We don't actually know anything else about the upcoming story patch, BioWare hasn't released any other info on it that I've heard of. And I'm sure that, when the patch is closer to being done, we'll get news about which companions are available for SGRs.

Seeing as how the current pattern is that every class gets at least one female and one male to romance, I'm really hoping BioWare sticks with that pattern for SGRs. I don't think they would do otherwise, as doing otherwise would make it look like SGRs weren't being given equal treatment, and I'm sure they don't want to be accused of that. :eek:

...the fact that this would mean all the classes that only get one female companion would have those companions available for SGR options and those are the ones I want the most in no way colors my reasoning on this. [/blatant lies]

Patience, young Padawan. :D Remember that impatience is the path to the Dark Side. Impatience leads to grumpiness, grumpiness leads to trolling, and trolling... leads to infractions. :p

Oh I'm, I'm so sory. I hope my post was not perceived as trolling, of any kind. I'd never even imagine trolling this thread.

My apologies please, forive me if I have seemed as such.

I have much to learn, master. :jawa_redface:

My personal favorite SGRs in BioWare games so far have been Silk Fox in Jade Empire, Liara T'Soni in Mass Effect, and Leliana in Dragon Age: Origins. In fact, both my male and female toons in that one romanced Leliana. Sure, Morrigan is fun and HOT, especially being voiced by Claudia Black, but Leliana is such a sweetheart, if a bit loony for the Maker giving her visions (Yes, I used the "This is the part where I slowly back away" line in the initial convo with her), but yeah. She grew on me. :D Edited by Captain_Zone

This is going to be famous really fast. I had to go with the Captain(who makes it happen! Sorry, couldn't resist :p ) and turn part of that into a signature. Whenever I'm feeling impatient about any game updates, I'll just look at my sig and smile at that.

But seriously, at least we know that SGRs will be coming this year. BioWare really has done us a good turn by letting us know this far in advance about an upcoming feature. They seem to be playing things close to their collective vests when it comes to upcoming content, probably so they don't have to worry about discussing things and not having them become part of the game.

That's a nice bit of gamer wisdom! Speculation is great, but I know that a lot of players would pounce on any potential bit of upcoming content from any game. It tends to be spun out of control, dissected and judged before the final story is even out. Don't forget, datamining can lead to the Darkside as well. :cool: I've seen what can happen players try to datamine every little thing Which leads me to:

One of the big reasons I generally avoided the WoW boards was the cries of "Blizzard promised us [some feature they might have scarcely mentioned months or years ago], WHERE IS IT?!?", and I don't think anybody wants that. We don't actually know anything else about the upcoming story patch, BioWare hasn't released any other info on it that I've heard of. And I'm sure that, when the patch is closer to being done, we'll get news about which companions are available for SGRs.

I concur. I'd rather have them play it close and not give us much of anything until they are ready. I'd noticed when story/gameplay leaks happen in game companies, many the ideas would either be scrapped due to fan pressure or relegated to the books. (*cough* The story of the Nightmare in the Emerald Dream *cough*) Forgive me, I'm a little bitter about that one. :mad:

As long as Bioware is working on the story for the game content, I know that they are taking the in-game lore seriously. This way they aren't also setting too high of expectations for themselves, other than what comes with having integrity as an artist. I'm a long term MMO vet and I'm in a game where I get to see a well done SGR that will flow well. I really feel the wait is going to be worthwhile. The patience is the hard part, but the conjecture in the meantime is half the fun. Also, the knowledge that the devs are listening helps my perspective too. :jawa_biggrin:

Seeing as how the current pattern is that every class gets at least one female and one male to romance, I'm really hoping BioWare sticks with that pattern for SGRs. I don't think they would do otherwise, as doing otherwise would make it look like SGRs weren't being given equal treatment, and I'm sure they don't want to be accused of that. :eek:

I'm also hoping SGRs will have 2 choices available, possibly both bi. For example, give LS and DS Jaesa for the ladies and gents as well as Pierce. It's not the greatest examples; people have mixed feelings about both companions. However, this way it'll open up more options for all. I'd love to be able to log into Kit one day and see that both Pierce and Jaesa wish to see me in private. I do know that some male versions of classes get more than one potential LI(such as SW getting both Vette and DS Jaesa as options), but it would be nice if SGRs lead to more possible LIs for everyone else too. Both for the LGBT and the PFLAG community. Plus, I'd love to watch Jaesa react if Kit is able to flirt with her. It would be nice to see her look pleasantly surprised and a little bashful for once. :D

Do you think having 2 bisexual companions and 1 OGR companion is a good way to go? Or would that sound too much like the "hero-sexuality" that some players are against. I'm honestly curious.

...the fact that this would mean all the classes that only get one female companion would have those companions available for SGR options and those are the ones I want the most in no way colors my reasoning on this. [/blatant lies]

I'm sure it doesn't. ;)

Edit: Missed a letter. It never fails.

Edited by natashina

Oh I'm, I'm so sory. I hope my post was not perceived as trolling, of any kind. I'd never even imagine trolling this thread.

My apologies please, forive me if I have seemed as such.

I have much to learn, master. :jawa_redface:

I don't think MM meant it that way, Elf. Probably just meant that if you aren't careful, some trolling might slip out here and there. I know I've trolled before, out of sheer boredom before launch, mostly. :o