Legacy race unlock is implemented poorly(constructive)

VoidSpectre

Wow, I think that is a rare play style.

So you do the same world 8 times in a row? o_O

I would have quite after doing republic Taris 8 times XD

No, I just finished Smuggler and Trooper Chapter 1. I did everything with trooper on most worlds and just do the main story/easy geographically convenient quests with the smuggler. Everytime I complete an area on a planet I switch to the other and do an area or 2. Then switch back to first. And I do this til the planet is done. I suppliment the one that does only class quests experience with more PvP.

Next I'll do warrior/inquisitor to Chapter 2. Then knight/consular and then Agent/BH. This way it will be republic, empire, rep, imp so I'm not doing the same faction stuff back to back. Then for Chapter 2 I might mix it up with Trooper/consular, agent/inquisotor, etc. Only Corellia will I do all empire first (w/agent doing world quest) and all republic second (trooper doing world quest).

I like that there is a break between chapters. Each one is it's own story and makes a good point to stop and play something else.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

level the race you want to 50 and use it across all class combinations OR get to the required legacy level and buy the race you want for whichever class you want. it's the same for everyone and no one has an advantage. all you have to do is work for it like everyone else. i don't see a problem here.

There are 4 types of people when it comes to race unlocks.

1) People who don't care about it.

2) People who have a 50 and want to play the same race again

3) People who have a 50 and want to play a different race.

4) People who don't have a 50 and haven't earned a race unlock.

I'm in group 3. I should have to do MORE work why? Because Bioware decided months after people were playing their characters that what they are playing now will affect what reward you get. it's a reward, only some people are getting something they want. What kind of reward it that? how about they give us 1.5 mill creds and let us do what we want?

it's completely realistic because you are choosing a race/class combo not normally offered. you have to WORK for something that is out of the norm, why is this such a hard concept to understand. it's rewarding the player for either leveling a specific race to cap or rewarding the player for going out and making the credits for something they want.

jeez you people act like making 1.5 mil credits is hard in this game.

You realize you can buy a ton of the in game bonus items for that much credits?

And apparently we earned a reward by getting to 50. Not an unusual concept.

I'm curious where you stand on this, I often find that sheds a lot of light on peoples point of view.

Sheesh, this generation of "I want my candy now" is out of control.:cool:

You realize we are paying to play this right? And the company wants feedback, right?

Geesh, this generation of people who can't understand other peoples point of view and equate them to whining babies. What woudl I find if I looked at your posts I wonder? Wat is your situation in relation to race unlocks anyway? Don't care group I guess?

There are 4 types of people when it comes to race unlocks.

1) People who don't care about it.

2) People who have a 50 and want to play the same race again

3) People who have a 50 and want to play a different race.

4) People who don't have a 50 and haven't earned a race unlock.

I'm in group 3. I should have to do MORE work why? Because Bioware decided months after people were playing their characters that what they are playing now will affect what reward you get. it's a reward, only some people are getting something they want. What kind of reward it that? how about they give us 1.5 mill creds and let us do what we want?

You realize you can buy a ton of the in game bonus items for that much credits?

And apparently we earned a reward by getting to 50. Not an unusual concept.

I'm curious where you stand on this, I often find that sheds a lot of light on peoples point of view.

You realize we are paying to play this right? And the company wants feedback, right?

Geesh, this generation of people who can't understand other peoples point of view and equate them to whining babies. What woudl I find if I looked at your posts I wonder? Wat is your situation in relation to race unlocks anyway? Don't care group I guess?

BW didn't decide "months after" that what character you play now will affect your future gameplay. They've stated before the game was released that Legacy was going to be in the game and that it will be tied to your first character and all subsequent characters on that server. They left out a ton of details but this is something we knew was coming.

You're not being left out of any reward system. They give you options on how to acquire what you want. you just choose not to like the options. If you call making 1.5 mil credits work I feel bad for you son. something that takes 3-6 days to acquire is not work.

where are the "ton" of in game bonus items you talk about? one of the reasons they are charging people credits for the legacy unlocks is to create a money sink since there is not one currently.

I have to agree with you, but you can buy the different races if you want. I actually struggle with this, as I had a Miraluka and a Zabrak at 50, but don't really want more of those races. I want a Chiss or Ratataki Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight, so I have to play a bounty hunter / agent to get that unlock.

I guess it's not horrible, it's just the way it goes. It may have been better to say once you get to 50 you can choose a race, or say, it's half off to buy the other race. Each way you look at it, there are problems.

mmm, I started playing a human assassin and a chiss BH to get the locks. They're levels 34 and 43 now. I just swap between them and my 50's to keep the playstyle varied.

I've little doubt that I'll delete one or 2 of my 50's in order to play them through as a new race.

BW didn't decide "months after" that what character you play now will affect your future gameplay. They've stated before the game was released that Legacy was going to be in the game and that it will be tied to your first character and all subsequent characters on that server. They left out a ton of details but this is something we knew was coming.

You're not being left out of any reward system. They give you options on how to acquire what you want. you just choose not to like the options. If you call making 1.5 mil credits work I feel bad for you son. something that takes 3-6 days to acquire is not work.

where are the "ton" of in game bonus items you talk about? one of the reasons they are charging people credits for the legacy unlocks is to create a money sink since there is not one currently.

Um, so when exactly did Bioware say that the race you get to 50 determines the race that gets unlocked? You do realize that's what I'm talking about right? Mentioning there is a legacy, and that its linked to your first character in no way implies anytime about race unlocks. And from what you said my first character is still only 29, the character that unlocked my legacy also won't be my first 50, so that information is still wrong. All this information is very recent.

What is your goal behind defending their position? Do you actually think it's implemented perfectly? Or do you just think everything should be as it is?

Simply what I'm saying is it's not a good reward system if it's tied to a decision you made without knowledge of the result. It's kind of like only offering the random boxes as commendation rewards. For a lot for people more than one of the unlocks they get will be meaningless and undesired. Can you seriously deny that? Or will you just state more half truths? If I want ADDITIONAL unlocks I don't mind paying for it. But if I get 30 characters to 50 I should get 3 unlocks that I want. Is there really something so absurd about that?

What if they unlocked the class you played to 50 instead? Would you be ok with that?

So you just played a trooper to 50! Yay! Now you can play any race as a trooper . . . awesome idea, right? Of course you don't mind spending money and spending time just for something like that right? After all, there's nothing better to spend your time and money on it seems.

I feel bad for you son if your time has that little value.

For the price of one race unlock you can buy all the alignment unlocks, or all the Quick Travel and fleet pass unlocks. Or a repair droid and a ship mail box.

I don't mind working for stuff. I'll work for the things above, no problem. I just want the reward others are getting for getting to 50.

By the way, my first 50 will be a human (now 45). So I'm only getting the 500K reward as opposed to the 1.5 Mill one. Yeah, I would never have made a human if I had any idea about that. Next will be a Cyborg (now 39) no interest in that unlock either. Following that will be 2 Mirailan (now 32 and 28) which after playing 2 I will most likely not play again. So that's 5 Mill of rewards that I am not interested in.

See any flaw in the system yet?

And don't dare say just play the race you want to unlock to 50. That is a ridiculous system if people have to do play something they don't particularly want to play just to play something they do.

Edited by Evgen

For the same reason that Anakin Skywalker has a robotic hand?

Same goes for vader, thing i wonder though is how far back in the sw lore is that cyborgs actualy came into being.

I dont know if anyone covered this through the topic either but its if you get the race to 50 then it becomes unlocked for all classes.

Edited by Shingara

Purchasable race unlocks for all races except humans cost 1.5 million credits (humans cost 500k), and require Legacy Level 5.

http://mmo-mechanics.com/news.php?article=1-2-legacy-system-preview

If you've got a toon at 50, this is probably a cakewalk. :)

(Note that this is an alternate method to the "level toon to 50 to unlock its race".)

Its not a cakes walk for those of us on dead servers where the gtn is a ghost box. Its alittle hard to make that kind of money when noones on to sell trade things with.

And for those of us trying to w8 for server transfer options that price is almost unreachable except for running the hell out of dailies.

So instead of being able to enjoy the new content or any of the new races/class mixes we get stuck grinding dailies w8ng on transfers that should have opened up a over a month ago

This is not a good alternate solution. Expecting a person who just wants to play alts to grind millions of credits is not realistic.

It takes a lot less time to grind out 1.5 million credits than it does to get a class to 50. Opportunity cost.

Granted, once a class is 50 it can pull in money, but maybe that's not necessary?

Same goes for vader, thing i wonder though is how far back in the sw lore is that cyborgs actualy came into being.

Yeah, and why can only humans be cyborgs?!?

just made me think of Family Guy "The Empire Strikes Back" when "Luke" cut's off "Vader's" hand, and Stewie says "You know a good hand guy, right?" :D

Edited by Evgen

Yeah, and why can only humans be cyborgs?!?

just made me think of Family Guy "The Empire Strikes Back" when "Luke" cut's off "Vader's" hand, and Stewie says "You know a good hand guy, right?" :D

In terms of the game the only thing i can think of is that they limited the choices within the char creater for cutscene reasons, but with the way legacy is unlocking them i would suspect that may change over time.

But im wondering if the legacy unlocks for races specifically cyborg allow for the use of the other class's augments on the legacy created char.

Um, so when exactly did Bioware say that the race you get to 50 determines the race that gets unlocked? You do realize that's what I'm talking about right? Mentioning there is a legacy, and that its linked to your first character in no way implies anytime about race unlocks. And from what you said my first character is still only 29, the character that unlocked my legacy also won't be my first 50, so that information is still wrong. All this information is very recent.

What is your goal behind defending their position? Do you actually think it's implemented perfectly? Or do you just think everything should be as it is?

Simply what I'm saying is it's not a good reward system if it's tied to a decision you made without knowledge of the result. It's kind of like only offering the random boxes as commendation rewards. For a lot for people more than one of the unlocks they get will be meaningless and undesired. Can you seriously deny that? Or will you just state more half truths? If I want ADDITIONAL unlocks I don't mind paying for it. But if I get 30 characters to 50 I should get 3 unlocks that I want. Is there really something so absurd about that?

What if they unlocked the class you played to 50 instead? Would you be ok with that?

So you just played a trooper to 50! Yay! Now you can play any race as a trooper . . . awesome idea, right? Of course you don't mind spending money and spending time just for something like that right? After all, there's nothing better to spend your time and money on it seems.

I feel bad for you son if your time has that little value.

For the price of one race unlock you can buy all the alignment unlocks, or all the Quick Travel and fleet pass unlocks. Or a repair droid and a ship mail box.

I don't mind working for stuff. I'll work for the things above, no problem. I just want the reward others are getting for getting to 50.

By the way, my first 50 will be a human (now 45). So I'm only getting the 500K reward as opposed to the 1.5 Mill one. Yeah, I would never have made a human if I had any idea about that. Next will be a Cyborg (now 39) no interest in that unlock either. Following that will be 2 Mirailan (now 32 and 28) which after playing 2 I will most likely not play again. So that's 5 Mill of rewards that I am not interested in.

See any flaw in the system yet?

And don't dare say just play the race you want to unlock to 50. That is a ridiculous system if people have to do play something they don't particularly want to play just to play something they do.

I agree that the details about legacy took way to long to come out. in fact i waited to create any alt's because of the lack of details.

i defend their position because i think it is fair for everyone. is there a particular species that you want to play for all classes? you have 2 choices.

1. level that species to 50 and unlock it for all classes

2. Meet the required legacy level (which can be done however you want) and pay for the unlock.

technically you don't have to level any of your toons to max level and still end up getting the non-normal species/class combo that you want. you just have to get your legacy level high enough and have the credits.

if you were to level 30 toons to 50 i would expect you to have all species unlocked and not need to buy any.

and what half truths have i said? everything i've said is fact.

Its not a cakes walk for those of us on dead servers where the gtn is a ghost box. Its alittle hard to make that kind of money when noones on to sell trade things with.

And for those of us trying to w8 for server transfer options that price is almost unreachable except for running the hell out of dailies.

So instead of being able to enjoy the new content or any of the new races/class mixes we get stuck grinding dailies w8ng on transfers that should have opened up a over a month ago

the thing is you can grind dailies now and stack your credits for when 1.2 hits in a few weeks. if you can't make the credits you need by the time 1.2 comes around then you don't want the rewards bad enough, it's as simple as that.

it kills me when people cry and moan about not being able to get something when the opportunity is there to achieve it. but because they don't like the methods they have to take to get it, then they want to cry and whine about it not being fair.

the mechanism is there for you to get what you want if you don't like it then oh well to bad, so sad, love dad.

I agree that the details about legacy took way to long to come out. in fact i waited to create any alt's because of the lack of details.

i defend their position because i think it is fair for everyone. is there a particular species that you want to play for all classes? you have 2 choices.

1. level that species to 50 and unlock it for all classes

2. Meet the required legacy level (which can be done however you want) and pay for the unlock.

technically you don't have to level any of your toons to max level and still end up getting the non-normal species/class combo that you want. you just have to get your legacy level high enough and have the credits.

if you were to level 30 toons to 50 i would expect you to have all species unlocked and not need to buy any.

and what half truths have i said? everything i've said is fact.

So you agree that after leveling 4 characters to 50, and being given unlocks I don't care about, (because after all these characters were around 30 at the minimum when bioware decides to announce that the character race you get to 50 with gets unlocked) that I should still have to level yet another character to 50 or spend a week worth of free time grinding credits?

You implied that I should have known that the species I play will affect what reward I get.

You may be able to tell, but I think that the current unlock system is bad, so I would not have assumed it would work out like this. I can't imagine a large part of the community wants to play the same race again after looking at it for 50 levels. If, after getting to 50/paying 1.5 mill, the race you unlocked was random, would you be ok with that? And doubles are possible :p

That's what it feels like I'm getting.

Most people don't even see their characters race! With all the hood and helmets. I go through great lengths to see most of my characters and companions, buying orange medium armour jedi circlets for companions, etc.

I guess it's my fault for playing the game and not holding off making alts.

I didn't think I'd have to worry about this out getting a reward I don't want to the tune of 5 mill credits.

I'm guessing you really don't care about these unlocks though do you? Always play humans?

Am I the only person who died a little bit inside when BW revealed how this was being implemented?

I don't mean for the reasons stated by the OP. More because I actually hoped that by "Race Unlock" they were referring to Nautolans / Rodians / Wookiees ( I know, unlikely regardless - due to speech!) / Bothans / Mon Cals etc...

They already have the character models in place. Seems a shame not to let us use them :(

Oh well...guess we'll have to wait for the first expansion.

I leveled as a different race for each of my characters because that's how I wanted to look for that character. I had no clue about this prior to them mentioning it.

I really don't understand your complaint. You already HAD the choice to roll different races. But you did NOT. Now that different races unlock that race for the legacy, all of a sudden you regret it? So if it never changed, you'd have never given a damn? Still don't see your point. People who chose to look different for their characters get rewarded, people who are boring and make the same character look for each character don't. Sounds fair to me.

Am I the only person who died a little bit inside when BW revealed how this was being implemented?

I don't mean for the reasons stated by the OP. More because I actually hoped that by "Race Unlock" they were referring to Nautolans / Rodians / Wookiees ( I know, unlikely regardless - due to speech!) / Bothans / Mon Cals etc...

They already have the character models in place. Seems a shame not to let us use them :(

Oh well...guess we'll have to wait for the first expansion.

No, you are not. I'm not sure where I got the idea that it would be as you wrote above, probably wishful thinking.

Ah well, someday, I hope.

No, you are not. I'm not sure where I got the idea that it would be as you wrote above, probably wishful thinking.

Ah well, someday, I hope.

I'm sure they are just saving stuff like that for when subscriptions start to drop ;)

Easy, but I'm sure you would agree, it will get people back.

I really don't understand your complaint. You already HAD the choice to roll different races. But you did NOT. Now that different races unlock that race for the legacy, all of a sudden you regret it? So if it never changed, you'd have never given a damn? Still don't see your point. People who chose to look different for their characters get rewarded, people who are boring and make the same character look for each character don't. Sounds fair to me.

Who are you replying to? I don't think anyone mentioned making all of the same characters, the OP mentioned people who played Humans, Cyborg or Zabrak not getting as much of an unlock. He also mentioned how you usually don't want to make the same race for an alt. I happen to have 2 of my 4 high level characters as Mirailan, but I have made everything.

whole idea of locking races out untill have a 50 is bad, even with the " lawl purchase "option its still bad...why is it bad? because alot of these options SHOULD have been available from the get go, and entire idea of being force to unlock a species just rubs me the wrong way.

Doesn't promote more playing, or improve game play really just ANNOYS alot of people! for example i love the chiss love to have a chiss force user, but to do so means i either blow 1.5 million creds which is absurd amount of cash or, i play a class i may actually hate... or not like just to unlock the race for my other toons.

at the end of the day its a really terrible system... those races should be unlocked at the start... end of story, it bugs me that they think or thought this was a good idea still...least they are unlocking them in some form... could have ended up like WoW with races permanently locked from some classes.

The big problem of this race unlock system is that it should have been there at release in December, and not only now, 4+ months later. Many of us already have several level 50 characters. For instance, I would have made my Sith Marauder Rattataki if I had the choice back then (it's my second char).

What Bioware should do is offer a one time race change for existing characters when they release 1.2.

Edited by Korrigan