Did the pre-launch cinematics promise way too much?

Lord_Ravenhurst

The intro Cinematics were some of the best intro Cinematics I've seen to date in the sense that practically everything you see in the movies, you actually see in gameplay.

In terms of graphics, anyone who expects them to be the same ... No comment.

In the movies you see:

Space station

Space combat the way it plays and feels in game

Force push/jump combo

Assault cannon use

Lightsaber toss

Major in game characters using the proper armor and weapon models

Grenade use

Force tremor, project. Lightning

Marauder style combat

Vengeance juggernaut, defense guardian combat styles

Sith assassin

Flamethrower

Death from above

The Powertech move where you spin a whirlwind or fire.

The one thing they omitted was the cover mechanic for the gunslinger and the free use of the Jetpack in the BH.

Yet, you seem to miss the things in the cinematics that aren't in game, like the ability to use turrets on someone else's ship, switching from using one lightsaber to using two, the ability to force jump.

I'm also pretty sure you don't get to decide if you want to use one pistol or two as a smuggler, apart from when you select your advanced class. Yet, in the trailer, you distinctly see him use one pistol, then start dual wielding.

These are the things I have noticed, having watched the trailers only once or twice. So, there are probably more.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP poses a very valid question about marketing tactics of companies, and people call him a troll?

Seriously?

Some people REALLY need to stop trying to look for instances to defend Bioware and either get on with their work, or play the game they love so much.

are you being serious right now?

have you watched the Starcraft 2 trailer Ghost of the past?

friggin awesome full cinematic trailer.

yet the game is an RTS. just stop dude. STOP

Edited by chrisftw

In TV the CGI trailers are on heavy rotation. Yeah whatever, my 11 year old nephew (Don´t worry, too young to play it anyway) said "Wow that game looks awesome!"

See where the problem is?

Whatever, other companies do it too, but I like trailers which are marked as "in-game footage".

Case closed.

Better tell your nephew how the world works or he will be disappointed fast.

Cinematic trailer, or in-game footage, should Bioware really show things in the trailer that aren't possible in the game?

No. Simple as that. People watch the trailer and think 'Cool, I'll be able to do that in game', then discover that no, they can't. The trailer lied to them.

Cinematic trailer, or in-game footage, should Bioware really show things in the trailer that aren't possible in the game?

No. Simple as that. People watch the trailer and think 'Cool, I'll be able to do that in game', then discover that no, they can't. The trailer lied to them.

Quite a big amount of the moves and stuff they do in the cinematics, you can do in game. I think very few will list everything and then compare it to the actual game. If you check out the cinematics you'll see familiar things when you play. I think that is enough for most.

Quite a big amount of the moves and stuff they do in the cinematics, you can do in game. I think very few will list everything and then compare it to the actual game. If you check out the cinematics you'll see familiar things when you play. I think that is enough for most.

I'll fully admit that there is a lot of things in the trailers you can do in game, but there also some classic SW moments in the trailers that you can't do, like manning the turrets in someone else's ship. Very clearly shown in the trailer, yet impossible in game.

Using Force Jump to cover great distances. Done in both the movies and the trailers, but Force Jump isn't even in the game. The closest you get is Force Charge, or whatever it is called.

Both of these are good examples of the cinematics showing off stuff that should be possible, but aren't.

Anyone else who thinks the cinematics which are used in SWTOR advertisements are promising too much? I know Blizzard also does it, and the actual gameplay does not even come close to the pre-rendered videos, same with SWTOR.

e.g. the SWTOR Intro video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfNhs6sh3_Q

I thought the ingame cinematics, perhaps even the gameplay will be of that quality.

Is it simply a marketing method? I remember ads for SW Force Unleashed, and they only used ingame graphics, which looked terrific. I think doing marketing for a game with actual ingame footage is more honest and could prevent some disappointed users.

It's not that I expected the in-game graphics to look on par with those opening cinematics, but when you boot the game up and select a faction those cinematics set the bar pretty high. And while there's glimpses of hope during the starting planet that the story, and how the game utilizes it, might at least be as engaging as KotOR - it ultimately falls very short.

In my oppinion it has to do with pacing and delivery. The story timeline and the pacing of the game don't match close enough to make it engaging. To me an MMO needs to chronicle the story of a character over a much longer period of time than that of a single player game.

^^exactly, that´s the point!

Reminds me of the scene where a jedi jumps down from a high building.

In-game my heroic Sith character dies a horrible death from a 10 meter fall.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

Unfortunately that's the gaming industry plus the way the world does business nowadays. You release a product, make this really wacky and stunning commercial for it and the masses rejoice. But we can't blame the company for their products or their marketing philosophy because as individuals, we make the choice to get our hands on said product.

I love the CGI trailers, with the massive fast paced action, ominous feel when you see the bad guy, and explosions, but because I make my own decisions, I know that the game I'm purchasing won't be anywhere near the visuals, but will be along the same concept of gameplay detail they are pushing that may peak my personal interest.

Unfortunately that's the gaming industry plus the way the world does business nowadays. You release a product, make this really wacky and stunning commercial for it and the masses rejoice. But we can't blame the company for their products or their marketing philosophy because as individuals, we make the choice to get our hands on said product.

I love the CGI trailers, with the massive fast paced action, ominous feel when you see the bad guy, and explosions, but because I make my own decisions, I know that the game I'm purchasing won't be anywhere near the visuals, but will be along the same concept of gameplay detail they are pushing that may peak my personal interest.

Nail on the head!

For an example of a CGI teaser that really gives you an honest (yet cinematic) feeling for what you're about to do in the game, go watch the Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 opening movies. While being exciting and action-packed, they do a good job of bridging the gap between hype and reality.

It can be done, but some PR groups fall back on hype because they're interested in business. They can't be blamed for that, but we shouldn't defend them either. :p

Edited by Dezzi

I'll fully admit that there is a lot of things in the trailers you can do in game, but there also some classic SW moments in the trailers that you can't do, like manning the turrets in someone else's ship. Very clearly shown in the trailer, yet impossible in game.

Using Force Jump to cover great distances. Done in both the movies and the trailers, but Force Jump isn't even in the game. The closest you get is Force Charge, or whatever it is called.

Both of these are good examples of the cinematics showing off stuff that should be possible, but aren't.

Are you serious? Are you going to tell me I'm not using Force Jump on several characters constantly every day? It's a bread and butter ability of the warrior and knight. In both the Cinematics and in game they are used to charge on an enemy. The movies also demonstrate a typical downward stab done by vengeance juggernauts. Twice they demonstrate force push followed by a force jump.

Seriously, c'mon. It's common sense Cinematics are not going to be in game graphics, but you have to give credit where credit is due - MOST of the abilities displayed in the Cinematics can be replicated in game. I've found that to be highly unusual in MMO advertising.

Kind of like McDonalds using fake, prettied up hamburgers? It's marketing, they want you to get excited about there product any way they can. It's all around you unless you walk around with blinders on. Every product ever marketed is always twisted in a way to make it stand out over others. Every billboard, print ad, commercial is made this way.

Maybe this guy is having a Falling Down moment. Movie with Michael Douglas for those of you who don't know.

Are you serious? Are you going to tell me I'm not using Force Jump on several characters constantly every day? It's a bread and butter ability of the warrior and knight. In both the Cinematics and in game they are used to charge on an enemy. The movies also demonstrate a typical downward stab done by vengeance juggernauts. Twice they demonstrate force push followed by a force jump.

Seriously, c'mon. It's common sense Cinematics are not going to be in game graphics, but you have to give credit where credit is due - MOST of the abilities displayed in the Cinematics can be replicated in game. I've found that to be highly unusual in MMO advertising.

Did you even read my post?

I specifically said you don't get Force Jump, and the closest you get is Force Charge which isn't the same thing. For Force Jump, go play Jedi Outcast, or Jedi Academy and see what it is really like. You know, jumping great heights or distances, not just quickly closing in on an enemy.

Go watch the 'Return' trailer, set on the station in orbit of Korriban. Satele Shan uses Force Jump to get on board the smuggler's ship. That is not charging an enemy, but it is clearly a use of Force Jump.

Granted it was a later post to the one you quoted, but I also said that I don't expect the graphics to be like they are in the trailers.

I do, however, hope that trailers advertising games, especially class based games like TOR, to at least stick to what is possible in game. What is the point of using cinematics to show off your classes when you don't stick to what that class can do?

Edited by dazednconfuzed

The OP poses a very valid question about marketing tactics of companies, and people call him a troll?

Seriously?

Some people REALLY need to stop trying to look for instances to defend Bioware and either get on with their work, or play the game they love so much.

Hardly. It is nothing more than a thinly veiled "why doesn't the game look like this" when it is painfully obvious to most rational people exactly why it does not.

Anyone who believes that the trailers they see for games is actual gameplay (unless the video clearly says "Actual Gameplay") really needs to have their head examined.

Keep trying, chief. Nothing I saw anywhere in that trailer would I assume I'd be able to do in the game. Nothing.

I thought the ingame cinematics, perhaps even the gameplay will be of that quality.

Ahh yes, and the Geico spokeperson is an actual talking lizard and polar bears actually do drink Coca-Cola from the bottle. I'm curious how many other products you have purchased where you found what you saw on a tv commercial is not what you ended up with after you actually purchased the product.

Perhaps instead of making a new thread to show off terrible consumer habits, how about doing some research into a product before purchasing it. There were plenty of in-game screenshots and in-game footage available before the game was even released to base your decision on. L2Consume.

What are you talking about??

Check out SW Force Unleashed to compare!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asvKQOJZXcs

I simply say trailers should be done with ingame footage, not like a Hollywood movie where everyone expects today to see actual gameplay footage.

No! I would hate trailers being made with in game footage...... The whole point of a trailer is to see awesome stuff. Yeah i know that the content of the trailers are far from what the game looks like or can do... But i don't care... I only watch these trailers for the special effects and awesomeness not to come on the forums and cry why BioWare WHY! how come me game not look like your trailer huh?

Edited by Scorpid

Keep trying, chief. Nothing I saw anywhere in that trailer would I assume I'd be able to do in the game. Nothing.

Really? You watched a game trailer showcasing some of the available classes, and didn't assume you would be able to do what they did?

Nah, I don't buy that.

Did you even read my post?

I specifically said you don't get Force Jump, and the closest you get is Force Charge which isn't the same thing. For Force Jump, go play Jedi Outcast, or Jedi Academy and see what it is really like. You know, jumping great heights or distances, not just quickly closing in on an enemy.

Go watch the 'Return' trailer, set on the station in orbit of Korriban. Satele Shan uses Force Jump to get on board the smuggler's ship. That is not charging an enemy, but it is clearly a use of Force Jump.

Granted it was a later post to the one you quoted, but I also said that I don't expect the graphics to be like they are in the trailers.

I do, however, hope that trailers advertising games, especially class based games like TOR, to at least stick to what is possible in game. What is the point of using cinematics to show off your classes when you don't stick to what that class can do?

Hmm, perhaps because those are supposed to be "people" not avatars? And that this is an MMORPG, not a single player action game? Of course they will have more mobility and freedom in their actions. How exactly do you expect to control and balance the ability to force jump? And when you mentioned how they go from single sabers/blasters to dual wielding, their classes can do both. But you can only do one with a single advanced class.

Aside from very minor nitpicks they did an excellent job of staying true to what you can do within the game.

Hmm, perhaps because those are supposed to be "people" not avatars? And that this is an MMORPG, not a single player action game? Of course they will have more mobility and freedom in their actions. How exactly do you expect to control and balance the ability to force jump? And when you mentioned how they go from single sabers/blasters to dual wielding, their classes can do both. But you can only do one with a single advanced class.

Aside from very minor nitpicks they did an excellent job of staying true to what you can do within the game.

And are our avatars in game not meant to be people too? Why should they have more mobility and actions than our characters? I mean, is this trailer not advertising the game, and showing off the classes you can play? Why show off the Gunslinger, but have him alternating between one and two blasters when you can't do that in game? Why show Jedi using Force abilities like Force Jump to do stuff you can't do in game (especially a Consular like Satele when Consulars get nothing like that)?

I don't mind this kind of thing in adverts and trailers that aren't being serious (for example, the Chuck Norris WoW advert), but not in proper cinetamic trailers designed to show off the classes and their abilities.

And are our avatars in game not meant to be people too? Why should they have more mobility and actions than our characters? I mean, is this trailer not advertising the game, and showing off the classes you can play? Why show off the Gunslinger, but have him alternating between one and two blasters when you can't do that in game? Why show Jedi using Force abilities like Force Jump to do stuff you can't do in game (especially a Consular like Satele when Consulars get nothing like that)?

I don't mind this kind of thing in adverts and trailers that aren't being serious (for example, the Chuck Norris WoW advert), but not in proper cinetamic trailers designed to show off the classes and their abilities.

No, your characters in game are supposed to be in-game avatars. People aren't limited to game rules like where and how they can jump. Are you also also going to complain that Malgus removed his hood, but you can't do that in game? You're nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

Again, for them switching weapons they're showing off BOTH advanced classes. You can use the class with one saber or two, one blaster or two. And the second lightsaber isn't going to fall out of his hand, while he curses that he has the wrong class.