No day and night on each planet

Flexnsmash

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That the reason they didn't do it isn't technical. It's because they didn't want to.

well, yes, i got that much from it.

i'm more looking into the why. as in, what is their 'snapshot in time' story? from what i understand, the events of the story from lv1-50 take place over several years.

it would make sense too that each planet took more than a few hours.

well, yes, i got that much from it.

i'm more looking into the why. as in, what is their 'snapshot in time' story? from what i understand, the events of the story from lv1-50 take place over several years.

it would make sense too that each planet took more than a few hours.

I agree so if the story line from lvl 1-50 takes place over a period of years it would only make sense to have day and night on each planet to give players a sense of the passage of time in their story.

I'd love to have Night and Day on planets. Weather might be sketchy due to the planets themselves, but day and night wouldn't hurt the game at all :D

Second only to my Hood Toggle request, this would be a really great immersive thing to implement :D

It's one of my top complaints. Atmosphere and immersion go a long way in a RPG and planets are so damn static. It just kills it. Worlds have no life.

Agreed. Day/night cycle would be nice.

But we probably won't get it because EA CANNOT CHARGE MONEY FOR IT. :mad:

Edited by Karkais

I could honestly care less, however, if it was implemented, I'd rather see it on planets like Taris, Quesh, Belsavis, Corellia, Hutta, Dromund Kass, and Nar Shadda.

The rest of the planets like Tatooine, Hoth, Alderran, Ilum, Ord Mantell, and Tython, I'd rather see stay the same.

I know it's weird but think of it like this.

The all desert planets should have all sun during all times....the all snow planets should have limited sun and not much at all times. Places like Imperial homeworlds should always stay darker than Republic ones, just to give the light vs. dark feel.

Also I'd like to see the day/night cycle be every 2 hours or so if implemented.

The all desert planets should have all sun during all times....the all snow planets should have limited sun and not much at all times. Places like Imperial homeworlds should always stay darker than Republic ones, just to give the light vs. dark feel.
Actually they are. Each planet has its own "color tone" to help build the atmosphere. Read the blog about color update

For the love of God, step out of your front door if you want to experience day and night.

This comment makes no sense. The OP and many others just want the worlds to feel more realistic as we are playing an MMO, which is suppose to be another world you live in.

You seemed to have just posted this to insult the person with no real thought on what is being asked.

Edited by spectreclees

IMO adding day and night is pointless when the NPCs and creatures don't care about it. For me, NPCs standing around at midnight just where I met them at noon breaks the suspense of disbelief more than having no times of day at all.

On the other hand, aside from some sneaky city adventures and special ops, night is usually just the boring time where you have to wait until vendors and questgivers get up, in most game that feature it you have option to skip to the morning. Hunting after NPCs that stroll around town during the day is not nearly as much fun as it sounds, Oblivion proved that, as did Ultima6 15 years earlier.

So times of day with npc-schedules can add a lot of atmosphere but is rarely done right, for an MMO there are additional issues, even without taking group dynamics into account, there is no safe / reload so you might quit the game during the night, and return from work to start playing just to find out that it's currently night on the server / planet and you have to sit idle for an hour or two.

Edited by Mubrak

I've always thought the lack of a day and night cycle is inconsistent with a game that bases itself around immersion.

Immersion? Credit-Sellers and jesters in the chat, ninja-inviters, players running around in their undies on Hoth, Tauntauns babbling happily on Tattoine Sith and Jedi having a party in the Nar Shadda canitina, since when are MMOs immersive?

Edited by Mubrak

Immersion? Credit-Sellers and jesters in the chat, ninja-inviters, players running around in their undies on Hoth, Tauntauns babbling happily on Tattoine Sith and Jedi having a party in the Nar Shadda canitina, since when are MMOs immersive?

My comment was directed towards Star Wars the Old Republic as a game - not the genre or third-party factors. Therefore my criticism is directed at the developers for being inconsistent in their production design - i.e. emphasis on story and immersion, yet the cycle and axis of everyday life is non existent in the game.

Day/night is not a technical problem, BW CHOSE to not implement it, because they were going for specific "feel" of each planet.

Instead they just made it boring. Static planets like Dromuund Kaas work, but for a lot of planets it just feels like I'm stepping into an instance instead of a living breathing world.

Day/night is not a technical problem, BW CHOSE to not implement it, because they were going for specific "feel" of each planet.

This x 1000.

If you are asking for day and night cycles in this game you are asking the wrong question. Its like buying a ford Taurus and asking the designers why its not a Mazda.

The game was specifically designed without them. The engine can handle it just fine.

Actually they are. Each planet has its own "color tone" to help build the atmosphere. Read the blog about color update

Which is exactly why I said:

The rest of the planets like Tatooine, Hoth, Alderran, Ilum, Ord Mantell, and Tython, I'd rather see stay the same.

You should read my post in its entirety before you quote me. :jawa_mad:

This x 1000.

If you are asking for day and night cycles in this game you are asking the wrong question. Its like buying a ford Taurus and asking the designers why its not a Mazda.

The game was specifically designed without them. The engine can handle it just fine.

this is a fairly hyperbolic simile. no one is asking 'why isn't this a star trek mmo'