The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

1.2: Juggernaut & Marauder

AVAstronaut

So I play in a group as follows:

Assassin Tank

Mercenary Healer

Sorcerer Damage

And then its me, as the undecided Sith Warrior. My basic question is now with the release of the 1.2 patch notes, which Advanced Class should I go after?

I come from a 5 year tanking background and do love the role but as far as main tanking goes, our assassin has it covered.

I enjoy the 1 light saber look much more with the juggernaut and their play style is fun as well, along with the OPTION to tank being nice.

But with 1.2, what would the smarter option be?

Signed,

A confused Sith Warrior

Juggernaut is exactly like your guardian so if you want familiarity go for that, now Mara's are starting to look like they may become one of the new FotM classes in 1.2, because people are crying the sky is falling without proper testing. But hey play what you like personally I love my jugg and I'm committed to making it work past 1.2, and personally I think when the actual good players get their hands on the new trees, I don't think we're going to be nearly as bad off as people are QQing.

But really both are a lot of fun so in the end go with the pone you like the feel of better.

Edited by WarSiren

Well Juggs won't be useless in 1.2, but it's looking like Marauders may well be the clear better option for anything but tanking.

Rage spec is getting a nerf as this thread explains and Veng is seemingly been negatively buffed (:p) a bit too.

Marauders on the other hand are taking some minor nerfs, but getting some very nice buffs on top, or were just in a much stronger position to start with.

Edited by Goretzu

The "best" spec/AC will change from patch to patch. The make or break for everyone outside of the super-hardcore-gotta-be-world-first types is the person pressing the keys.

The difference between a mara and a jugg isn't going to be so much that your friends are going to drop you for a mara. OTOH, you might drop them if you find yourself hating the mara and/or wishing you could choose to tank once in a while.

Well Juggs won't be useless in 1.2, but it's looking like Marauders may well be the clear better option for anything but tanking.

Rage spec is getting a nerf as this thread explains and Veng is seemingly been negatively buffed (:p) a bit too.

Marauders on the other hand are taking some minor nerfs, but getting some very nice buffs on top, or were just in a much stronger position to start with.

Only thing they did was move decimate, Smash isn't a key dps ability for us, we're not really affected by the 10% nerf and can easily swing our specs around to still get decimate.

Vengeance is already competitive, and will remain so. So the misinformation needs to stop, just because the rage Jugs are QQing

I assume you're talking about pve group content, if that is the case the best dps option is anni mara, and it will stay that way. That said, its about the preference/playstyle, vengeance juggs aren't as bad as people make them to be, they are behind the mara but properly played won't be a group liability, so if that works for you play what you enjoy more. I do not forsee doom for vengeance spec in 1.2 either, so unless you want to go pvp-rage spec you'll be perfectly fine imo.

Only thing they did was move decimate, Smash isn't a key dps ability for us, we're not really affected by the 10% nerf and can easily swing our specs around to still get decimate.

Vengeance is already competitive, and will remain so. So the misinformation needs to stop, just because the rage Jugs are QQing

Nope the CD of Smash (and others) is now much longer and rage generation is reduced too, that's a lot of things to hit the Rage spec with (ob gets a small CD reduction too, but that doesn't help with the Smash nerf).

This thread explains it the best I've seen, Rage is getting a significant nerf in 1.2 and a Rage Marauder will be absolutely the better option for running that role.

Veng is more subjective, but then Anni is still pretty uber in that role too.

Edited by Goretzu

It just comes down to what you enjoy playing more. I have one of each and love them both. I mainly play my mara, but the jugg offers more options and utility. If you want purely damage, go mara. If you want to dps or tank go jugg.

I'd go marauder. Juggernaut DPS is very mediocre. imo the rotations feel crappy, and you have very little utility in a fp. Marauders get nice group-wide buffs as well as a CC for droids. That and their dps is just higher.

So I play in a group as follows:

Assassin Tank

Mercenary Healer

Sorcerer Damage

And then its me, as the undecided Sith Warrior. My basic question is now with the release of the 1.2 patch notes, which Advanced Class should I go after?

I come from a 5 year tanking background and do love the role but as far as main tanking goes, our assassin has it covered.

I enjoy the 1 light saber look much more with the juggernaut and their play style is fun as well, along with the OPTION to tank being nice.

But with 1.2, what would the smarter option be?

Signed,

A confused Sith Warrior

Sounds like you want to go Juggernaut, why would you consider being a Marauder? what intrigues you about it?

The fact that Id most likely be filling a dps role for my group, however the word on the streets is (especially after 1.2 hits) that marauders are THE dps class to play and bring raid wide utility.

The forums are filled with mis-information and anecdotal opinionated judgements....and no real data. After close to 10 years in MMO's, I have found that opinions tend to very closely follow the phrase "opinions are like a#$ holes, everyone has one and they usually stink."

Even with the patch on the horizon, I have yet to see anyone use the new combat logs to parse Jugg/Maurader DPS. if there they're, then I applaud them, and want to see more. Until then. it's all opinion man. not a shred of evidence to back it up.

Also keep in mind that 90% of the DPS threads that discuss the issue are talking solely about PvP...which is a totally different environment then PvE.

And the reductions on the jugg side are impacting Rage spec the most...which happens to be the LEAST played spec in PvE. I firmly support my PvP brethren in their fight to maintain solidity from that perspective. But I get impatient when the opinions fly for PvE without solid evidence. I've seen plenty of PvE situations where Jugg's outpaced mauraders. this is not proof...it's merely anecdotal evidence with points out that Juggs do good DPS.

A good Jugg player will keep up with a good maurader any day of the week. There is far too much "skill" involved to say it's a class issue. until we have a few months of solid across the board combat log data to work with , it's all rumors man. Play what you want.

it's like everyone says... juggernauts suck, they need a buff, and their useless in pvp.

Okay my reccomendation is learn to PVP, use your skills, and if you have ever played a gimped class in any other MMO you will highly appreciate the skills you have as a juggernaut.

Being able to stay in a guarded stance, supporting my healer w/ taunts (intecedes) etc, and still do 450K+ dps???

C'mon, we're *********** awesome. Plus shockwave ticks as a rage specced juggernaut are awesome for competitive gameplay. You can switch targets so easily and use your big hit on someone else. It's basically like having a button you know is always going to do 5k+ damage on your target (depending on the situation)