Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Bioware, great job on ruining Commandos

Kushtaka

And regardless of all this godly overpoweredness you speak of, a single marauder played with one hand by a lobotomized goat could shut down and kill even the best commandos (of any spec) around.

Thanks for being funny dude.

I for one do not rely on Grav Round (GR) for my only source of DPS, but as Gunnery, it's pretty much a staple of the build. In PvP, which is my main source of pleasure in this game thus far, any Commando that sits around and just spams GR is either not being focused or just doesnt know better. Grav Round and Tracer Missile were not game breaking, and I would not even care about these obviously terribly implemented nerfs if I did not see other nerfs to our our survivability, i.e.,

-Healing weakened...I'll allow the other thread to handle this one.

-Concussion Charge cooldown increased by 5 seconds by way of nerf to Tenacious Defense (stupid idea, guess the devs at Bioware while facerolling their Marauders couldn't get their e-z mode kill on a Commando one day so they just had to nerf one of our few forms of (not CC) but ways to escape.

-Charged Barrier now provides 1% damage reduction per stack, down from 2%...yes, because Commandos just live forever. So, you nerf the speed at which we can apply this buff, then you nerf the buff, really awesome.

These are obvious nerfs to our survivability but our survivability is also affected when you lower our damage output. And this is not about "oh all you want to do is spam GR/TM" because that is not the issue. If that was the issue, then I'd wager Sorcerers would have to be tarred and feathered for all the ridiculously childish lightning spam. Oh but hey, they got the sound fixed on that, but no nerf...but i digress.

Now, this cannot be about damage, because I see Sorcs/Sages and Sentinels/Marauders out damage Commandos all the time in WZ's. All the time. I'm talking about over 500k damage, that's alot of damage. Yet, Marauders were buffed? They have a ton of survivability and do great damage, now more buffs and we get the shaft.

Now some of you "optimists" might say "hey gloomy Gus, you got a 10% buff to Demo Round!!!!" And I'd say "is it still on a 15 second cooldown????" And, yay, Curtain of Fire might proc more, but, um, don't I have to stand still to use Full Auto....? So now, rather than having us think were "more dynamic" cuz were screwed out of the GR we now know, they're feeding us yet another "turret" option.

Oh, and I love this little nugget: Mortar Volley fixed, yay!!!! We're supposed to be happy about that and forget the nerfs to survivability and main attack damage.

What many of us wanted was some form of CC, an interrupt, fixed animations, etc. And we get this...oh, and I'm sure I am being a bit emotional here, I have played a few other characters in the game and settled on Commando, got to rank 63 and now I feel as though I'm going to be forced into quitting this game or playing a Sentinel/Marauder.

TLDR: this is BS.

I think the message was sent to us (the community). Jedi matter. Everyone else doesnt. Same mindset as SOE, different company. Those of us that dont play Jedi will end up leaving. Those that do will think this game is the best mmo ever.

Pretty much I agree with everything mentioned above gunnery commandos where one of the most underpowered classes when it comes to 1 vs 1 fights in PVP and now it seems they are screwing us even more while buffing some other classes which buffing seems totally ilogical to me at this point ( mauraders/ sentinels ).

Edited by Lunablade

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And regardless of all this godly overpoweredness you speak of, a single marauder played with one hand by a lobotomized goat could shut down and kill even the best commandos (of any spec) around.

Thanks for being funny dude.

Agreed. I find it odd that Troopers are considered to be OP in healing, when I have had a heck of a time healing in ops as a combat medic. "You just don't know how to play your class." Actually, I'm been a healer Trooper since day 1 so yes, I do know how to play my class. These nerfs are going to suck.

The nerf isnt in the dam reduct on grav round, cause the slight increase of demo sorta makes up for it.

The real Nerf is the 25% increase in grav round AND CHARGE BOLT. Thats our two most commonly used shots as Gunnery.

And forget PVP,.. Commando DPS just got removed from the improved HARD MODE OPS. Cause all those extra augment slots we're getting are going straight to Alacrity and not aim and power just so we can have our normal DPS that is by far and away less than Gunslingers for raids. SO good bye DPS Commando.

The nerf isnt in the dam reduct on grav round, cause the slight increase of demo sorta makes up for it.

The real Nerf is the 25% increase in grav round AND CHARGE BOLT. Thats our two most commonly used shots as Gunnery.

And forget PVP,.. Commando DPS just got removed from the improved HARD MODE OPS. Cause all those extra augment slots we're getting are going straight to Alacrity and not aim and power just so we can have our normal DPS that is by far and away less than Gunslingers for raids. SO good bye DPS Commando.

Actually they lowered the ammo cost to what it is with muzzle fluting now, and now muzzle fluting lowers grav round/charged bolts casting time to the old 1.5 seconds, so while there's still the 10% dmg reduction to those two abilities, the net effect on ammo usage and casting time is effectively nill for gunnery commandos. For other specs basically your charged bolts are cheaper (in fact they are effectively free) but they take longer to cast.

You'll be able to truly compare yourself to gunslingers soon though!

I don't play combat medic at all, and nerfs to PVP don't affect me either, but that being said the nerfs to commandos in both those areas suck out loud.

Pretty much I agree with everything mentioned above gunnery commandos where one of the most underpowered classes when it comes to 1 vs 1 fights in PVP and now it seems they are screwing us even more while buffing some other classes which buffing seems totally ilogical to me at this point ( mauraders/ sentinels ).

What ?? Are you kidding ? Have you played Mara/ Sent ? Gunnery Commando is much easier to play in PVP. Almost too easy compared to Mara.

What ?? Are you kidding ? Have you played Mara/ Sent ? Gunnery Commando is much easier to play in PVP. Almost too easy compared to Mara.

Please, stop. I have a Sentinel and it's very easy to play and easily one of the best if not THE BEST 1v1 class in the game. No one os saying that a Commando is "hard to play", none of these classes is relatively difficult to play in the grand scheme of things, but the Commando has had limited defense/survivability in the way of CC since day 1. Now Commando gets no buff to CC, interrupt or other survivability but we get damage and healing nerf?

If you think Sentinel or Marauder is so difficult to play, you have serious, serious problems or you're lying to yourself.

Please, stop. I have a Sentinel and it's very easy to play and easily one of the best if not THE BEST 1v1 class in the game. No one os saying that a Commando is "hard to play", none of these classes is relatively difficult to play in the grand scheme of things, but the Commando has had limited defense/survivability in the way of CC since day 1. Now Commando gets no buff to CC, interrupt or other survivability but we get damage and healing nerf?

If you think Sentinel or Marauder is so difficult to play, you have serious, serious problems or you're lying to yourself.

What ? I dont know which game you are playing, but probably not the same game. Yes Marauder is very hard to play in PVP, and YES, Commando is very easy to play. Why would I lie to myself about this. If I had a PVP log from my games I would give it to you. At my 15 lvl. Commando I have Cryo grendade (cc), knockback, self healing and shield. I also got heavy armor. Please give me a information on what Mara have ? No cc and no knockback.

With a Commando I can easily kill a target with 2 abilities. Just sitting and hitting 2 buttons and KITE ranged. With Mara you have to use a lot of abilities and move like a crazy shot goose. Come on! Dont tell me that Mara is easier!

I challange all that think Mara is easier. Go play Mara in PVP and feel the difference.

What ? I dont know which game you are playing, but probably not the same game. Yes Marauder is very hard to play in PVP, and YES, Commando is very easy to play. Why would I lie to myself about this. If I had a PVP log from my games I would give it to you. At my 15 lvl. Commando I have Cryo grendade (cc), knockback, self healing and shield. I also got heavy armor. Please give me a information on what Mara have ? No cc and no knockback.

With a Commando I can easily kill a target with 2 abilities. Just sitting and hitting 2 buttons and KITE ranged. With Mara you have to use a lot of abilities and move like a crazy shot goose. Come on! Dont tell me that Mara is easier!

I challange all that think Mara is easier. Go play Mara in PVP and feel the difference.

Lvl 15? Play a 50 commando for starters!

Move like a crazy shot goose? You have force leap since lvl 2...

Away from this thread you troll...

I will have no problems healing ops or pvp warzones in 1.2 on my trooper. TBH the game felt very easy as we we're BEASTMODE healers to begin with.

Good nerfs imo. Plus dont forget sages got nerfed hard as well so all the people saying OMGAD ill get replaced by sages need to seriously read up before making such comments.

Lvl 15? Play a 50 commando for starters!

Move like a crazy shot goose? You have force leap since lvl 2...

Away from this thread you troll...

This is no troll, if someone is trolling here it would be you. This game is not just about the End game you know. Somebody is actually doing PVP before that. So it is highly viable to Commando is easier than playing a Mara. My Mara is not level 50 either. And force leap is just to close the gap between ranged and melee. We can use that once, commando can KITE forever. So still no cc and no knocback on Mara.

I will have no problems healing ops or pvp warzones in 1.2 on my trooper. TBH the game felt very easy as we we're BEASTMODE healers to begin with.

Good nerfs imo. Plus dont forget sages got nerfed hard as well so all the people saying OMGAD ill get replaced by sages need to seriously read up before making such comments.

Have you test it on the PTR?

Don't hesitate to share your point on view on the rotations, ammo management , survivability ... before / after .

Thanks

This is no troll, if someone is trolling here it would be you. This game is not just about the End game you know. Somebody is actually doing PVP before that. So it is highly viable to Commando is easier than playing a Mara. My Mara is not level 50 either. And force leap is just to close the gap between ranged and melee. We can use that once, commando can KITE forever. So still no cc and no knocback on Mara.

Currently i have a guardian dps, its not even a sentinel, and in pvp mercs/commandos are easily beaten.

Just use an interrupt, so easy...

Sure you have to use more abilities to build up focus, not my fault bioware made grav round a so easily spam ability!

Thats why i changed for combat medic tbh.

And commando can kite forever?lol

Use force stasis and that aoe slow jedi knight have... not mentioning the low cooldown on force leap...

So dont feed me garbage, its easy to kill a ranged player using all the tools at your disposal...you have a cc ,interrupt, slow and leap...what more do you want?a *********** nuclear weapon?

Edited by Setes

Hear , hear PVP expert without having even one character at level 50 yet.

And now about difficulty , the thing is very subjective because what is difficult to one player doesent need to be difficult to another and vice versa.

Dude first come to level 50 on even one of your chars and than speak about PVP in this game because than all classes get their all abilities and not before .

And if you think that playing as commando gunnery is so easy I challenge you to play 1 vs 1 in 10 fights against any skilled maurader at level 50 while focused and than return to me and say how easy is to survive as commando.

Everyone who plays this game and which is not bad and who have high level chars knows that mauraders/ sentinels are one of the most OP classes right now when it comes 1 vs 1 PVP and buffing them in the next patch will result in having FOTM class in rated warzones which I'm sure that will metrics prove when rated warzones start.

Edited by Lunablade

You're in the wrong forum to troll, anyone in this forum knows you can't kite kill anything with a gunnery commando.

And, yes, the marauder is way easier. Pressing a 4 button rotation and melting whatever you have in front is easy.

Edited by sensiblepoast

Everyone who plays this game and which is not bad and who have high level chars knows that mauraders/ sentinels are one of the most OP classes right now when it comes 1 vs 1 PVP and buffing them in the next patch will result in having FOTM class in rated warzones which I'm sure that will metrics prove when rated warzones start.

Marauders/sentinels have been playing it very smart from the start, and equating buttons clicked with difficulty and telling us how squishy they are to -heh- focus fire. They're stupidly strong, and whenever bioware decides to reduce the CC around they'll get even more insane.

Or shall I say we'll. :D

I hear ya...scrappers are feeling it too...looks like rated will be knights and sage healer exclusive with a few shadows sprinkled in for placing bombs etc. Since I don't want to play either of the "favored" classes I'll just level my shadow and take the scraps.

Rated teams will run ops, juggs, mara, and inqs, these changes change nothing. Burst dps is infinitely more preferable to sustained for pvp, always has been always will be.

Wait...did you REALLY just claim you KITE with a Gunnery Commando?!

Wait...did you REALLY just claim you KITE with a Gunnery Commando?!

yup i think he did...and he said he could only use force leap as a closer...my marauder is specced in anni tree...i also use my leap to disrupt casts from commando's..if my distrupt is on a cd ^^ and then i like to dot them up and choke them while they suffer on the dots and at the same time i get a chance to get a slight heal from the dots if they crit :)

for cc i got crippling slash...can also get cc from dots if you specc into that. and Intimidating Roar for aoe cc, as long as they dont suffer damage.

The topic of who is overpowered is subjective and each class has its advantages and disadvantages.

Range has always been a big advantage in PvP. Commandos have it.

What do Marauders and Sentinels get? a Force leap that can be resfreshed for a 2nd use if talented (don't recall the specifics), Interupts, CC, snares and the largest melee hitbox I've ever seen in an MMO. There is absolutely no escape for a Commando or Merc once they are on you and play smart.

If you are a marauder and you initiate combat with a Commando and lose one of the following apply:

a) You are terrible at the class and the playstyle may be wrong for you.

b) You played your class as best you can expect but you were out geared.

c) There was someone else healing the Commando or there was someone else dpsing you from afar.

To summarize the above 1 vs 1 gear and skill being equal a marauder should always win.

The upcoming Marauder/sentinel changes are going to make the majority of them dangerous in warzones and the few that are dangerous right now, God like.

I have been waiting for this way a long long time, and I must say its sweet. The crying here is almost more intense than the juggernauts.

Commandos and Vanguards who QQ about how your getting beat up makes me leave sans healing for pve.

You have never leveled a sent or mara to anywhere near 50 let alone 50 if you think everyone is run of the mill overpowered.

I play a commando when I just want to chill and pvp for fun, its way less work to get things done then jumping around the screen on my jugg or marauder and without putting in half the effort.

Keep QQing guys, the cancel button is on the other page. Have fun in guild wars 2

You say the commandos and poor vanguards got it the worst, yet in wz's I am suprised to see a class other than sage/trooper in almost all matches with a splash of other classes at times.

you couldn't spit blind folded in any direction in fleet without hitting a friggen trooper. someone is whacked out. Not saying they needed to nerf the hell out of healing, quite frankly they should simply find a way to lower healing for pvp and leave healing alone but bioware are the bosses.

Best way to petition them is to hit the cancel button.

Playing a marauder and a commando. I make em bleed interrupt grav round all the time and watch them panic. It's a damn fact if u can't beat a commando on a marauder, you suck!

Those that say commando's kite you around oh god, learn to use all ur abilities and slow them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.