Will SWTOR be able to compete with upcoming MMOs?

SaerethDL

My question is what will happen to the whole MMO genre. Stick-fetch questing has been done to death in almost every MMO. PvP is always an issue. What will MMOs become that will engage the jaded players? The sameness of it all burned me out a few years ago, and I only recently came back to online gaming. SWTOR has done little differently from past MMOs. Edited by Bamajawn

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will swtor lose alot of player base to mmo's that are coming out soon, TERA may 1st, and GW2 around dec? After playing TERA over beta weekend it seems like a very developed and quality MMO that has all the things an MMO'ers heart can desire. These mmo's didn't give the excuses that they are a new MMO and need to develop after launch.. they are delivering everything we expect in a modern day MMO on release.. How will swtor hold up to the competition is the question?

The answer to your question is YES. The only reason why the game has not completely flopped is a lack of significant competition out there. This game will always have a select few who are die-hard Star Wars fans, but not enough to keep the game going with more than a few servers. To be honest, this game shouldn't really be classified as an MMO. The only feature that somewhat resembles an MMO is the monthly fee. For me, I've been here since beta, tried to give it the benefit of the doubt, but I'll be leaving permanently for D3. I would say Tera, but I'll wait and see it's reviews before deciding whether to give that a shot. Especially with D3 around the corner.

Didn't your all bow to your knees and praise TERA the mighty mighty SWTOR killer, just get locked a mer moment ago?

TERA looks silly to me and the only appeal I see in GW2 is the lack of a subscription.

The lack of subscription for an anticipated MMO is very appealing indeed. I prefer this option over a game that feels like it should be F2P.

SWTOR may not lose or very little lose to Tera but I'm sure subs will decline dramatically before end of 2012.

Patch 1.2 as it currently stands will have enough people willing to try out Tera and TSW once they see how unrealistic and dumb many of the changes are. Bioware is proving that they have no idea what they should be doing with this patch besides adding Legacy fluff.

Despite the negative reputation of FC, I'm looking very forward to TSW. For the first time in a very LONG time, a MMO will have real puzzles, and require you to think, research both in and OUT of game to solve those puzzles to advance. No classes. No levels. Over 588 skills to build your own character from. A very high degree of character customization. A indepth story that relates to the real world as we know it, not some universe created from whole cloth out of a person's fantasy.

In one of the earliest interviews with Ragnar Tornquist, he stated that the FC team spent years compiling a massive database of all the conspiracy theories and legendary "monsters" (read: Jersey Devil, Bigfoot, Chupacabra, et al.) out there before ever beginning to put in the first line of code or work on TSW.

One of the things that most people just do not realize, and it's a horrific shame, is that the majority of the problems with FC's first two MMOs, were caused by the selfsame person who was originally a co-founder of Funcom. Gaute Godager can be directly linked to most of the troubles associated with Anarchy Online's launch and subsequent problems in it's first year. Likewise, Gaute Godager was Conan's Lead Game Director until his "official statement" of leaving the company for interests in other fields not related to gaming. Given how badly AOC was progressing it's not any real stretch to read between the lines and see that the board at FC asked Godager to leave the company.

And that's pretty much where FC and TSW are now. Ragnar, the other founder of FC, is the one leading the whole project for TSW, and his vision and his connection to the gaming community seems to be spot-on.

The stories in SWTOR were really good, but as so many others have pointed out, once you get to 50 a couple of times..the luster begins to wane significantly. I think my own personal biggest complaint with SWTOR is that it's just excessively linear. You get led from one encounter to the next to the next, etc until suddenly you're 50 and that's the end of it. With that said, I wasn't expecting a sandbox MMO by any stretch, but the linearity of SWTOR is almost a polar opposite. Moderation in the creation of the game would have been a nice thing. As it stands it's almost flat in it's singleminded devotion to lineariry.

Tera will be nothing more than an asian grindfest with girls that squeak everytime they swing some obscenely big weapon. Their take on combat.. meh.. Games like DCUO and AoC beat them to that punch, big whoop.

GW2.. lol, People who complain about what SWTOR offers as far as features, content and endgame spouting off that GW2 is the messiah of the MMO world make me laugh; they are in for a surprise, and not in a good way.

Edited by Nytak

Swtor is dying slowly.

Tera will be similar to Aion and gonna share his fate.

Gw2 shows promise but its another high fantasy Mmorpg and we have so many already.

Most of us just tired of plating holy trios in dungeons , getting 15-40 people for a dragon kill

and killing each other for days and weeks to get some rank and gear that has PVP on it.

People are tired doing same crap over and over. I see many threads like these for last 7 years , people being nostalgic about Eq ,Vanilla WOW etc etc. Back then we actually played the game not the forums.

TLDR - Stop pretending and get a life.

Wait, isn't Dust console only?

Yep, but it´s taking place within the EvE universe sandbox, all on one shard. From your spaceship (PC) you will be able to do planetary groundstrikes or jump into ground missions on PS3. They are now reworking 5000 (!!) planets with incredibly huge maps. The smallest ones are several miles wide.

I just saw the Beta LIVE... Holy ******* cow, this was the best thing since sliced bread, I swear!

Yep, but it´s taking place within the EvE universe sandbox, all on one shard. From your spaceship (PC) you will be able to do planetary groundstrikes or jump into ground missions on PS3. They are now reworking 5000 (!!) planets with incredibly huge maps. The smallest ones are several miles wide.

I just saw the Beta LIVE... Holy ******* cow, this was the best thing since sliced bread, I swear!

I play Eve, but have largely ignored Dust due to the console only aspect.

I play Eve, but have largely ignored Dust due to the console only aspect.

Since I own a PS3 too and Dust will be a free Download Content anway, so I´ll definitely check it out when it´s released.

I just like the approach of building the ultimate sci-fi simulator with a complete MMO universe with all online players present, console and PC. So the FPS fans can do the ground missions while the classic EvE fans stay in their ships in orbit and fire beams to the surface. This is the most ambitious project i´ve heard from in years.

Multi-platform, multi-playstyle, all in one single universe.. just awesome.

Ok so I understand that ultimately this is just another troll "SWTOR is failing" type of thread, but the core of the argument seems more than a bit flawed. One of the things that I figure will keep SWTOR afloat for a substantial period (even if it doesn't get any better, ie if we got no new content) is that the competition on the immediate horizon is somewhat lacking. SWTOR is the last really big IP game out there at the moment, games like Tera and GW2 will no doubt be neat, and fun etc. but however one may feel about the game itself some people are playing SWTOR because it is first and foremost an exciting Star Wars game.

There was a time not long ago when the MMO market was seriously overwhelmed with one huge IP game after another. Honestly if games like AoC and WAR came out at a different time they might have done much better than they did. The only thing I really see SWTOR having to look out for is.... pandas.

Note: I'll probably check out GW2, and will definitely grab the Game of Thrones game when it comes out. I am not saying future games will suck etc, just that I don't see any "blow this game out of the water" competition in the near future.

Edited by SWImara

Definately looking forward to GW2... PVP players paradise, especially if you come from daoc. :)

I've enjoyed swtor however, and if they revamped pvp to feel truly like a war in the server I will stick around some time (lookin at you Ilum :rolleyes: ). As it is I feel little to no sense of community so its pretty easy to pull the plug with few misgivings.

Will swtor lose alot of player base to mmo's that are coming out soon, TERA may 1st, and GW2 around dec? After playing TERA over beta weekend it seems like a very developed and quality MMO that has all the things an MMO'ers heart can desire. These mmo's didn't give the excuses that they are a new MMO and need to develop after launch.. they are delivering everything we expect in a modern day MMO on release.. How will swtor hold up to the competition is the question?

well I dont find Tera that great despide the babes with panties. The combat is diferent feels a bit of arcade combat wich it can be fun from your regular mmo.. but its pretty much it.

On GW2.. i think is a diferent context of swtor, and we dont know yet how it will go without subscription... would it have micro transactions instead? i personaly hate those kind of games.

But honestly If i could or can i would play both... i might i dont know.

Considering future MMOs, i would have secret world and on a diferent context arche age in consideration. Not Tera.

Edited by Spartanik

yea but... this is star wars

In the end this is what will keep a certain number of people in SW:TOR.

For those that want a good Sci-Fi MMORPG any good one of those would cause those people to leave for that MMORPG. For these people a Fantasy or Horror MMORPG would not be interesting to them.

Started playing wow again after getting my MoP beta access. It's so f*cking refreshing playing a game that is so smooth and polished and worth every dollar that you pay for.

This game only has the star wars lore and sci-fi setting going for it. Everything else is sub-standard and terribly done. Performance (no, it's not my machine, ALL other games run well on my machine), bugginess, terrible and jittery combat flow, all substandard. And this is supposed to be an MMO that was years in the making, released in 2011.

Bioware is so lucky to have fanboys paying for a game that's half-done.

On GW2.. i think is a diferent context of swtor, and we dont know yet how it will go without subscription... would it have micro transactions instead? i personaly hate those kind of games... Considering future MMOs, i would have secret world and on a diferent context arche age in consideration. Not Tera.

GW2 will have mictrotransactions, TSW will have both subscription and microtransactions.

GW2 "PvP players paradise"? I doubt it, even when it comes to their world vs world system. If people prepare their "structured PvP" aka Warzones aka scenarios aka battlegrounds, those "Mists" will be pretty empty places.

Edited by Rouge