Lightsabers as weapons

Glorthox

There was an MMO (Conan) where you could have kill/dismemberment moves. Instead of having the sabers do one shot moves it would be more like a lightsaber battle where at the end someone prevails and the other person gets decapped or a saber ran through their gut. It would look smoother and who doesn't love some blood :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Game isn't a movie. Lightsabers can't one shot everything it would be unbalanced and unfun. Go play the Jedi Knight games.

Edit: Also there's just...Not going to be limbs flying everywhere... It's rated the way it is for a reason.

Edited by FSA_shadow

Maybe you should all try reading what he posted, he's talking about death animations not game balance..

haha, I was wondering if I was the only one who got this.

The OP makes a good point regarding animation. I'd like to see droids sliced in half at least. To keep a T rating, it wouldn't have to extend to humanoid creatures. Perhaps alien type creatures though, like killiks.

G-forces only apply when there is gravity. Empty space has no gravity so there wouldn't be any G-forces, basic physics knowledge. Only when flying close to a Mass would there be gravity. Gravity= the size of the mass, the larger the mass the larger the gravity. So the thing that bothers me some is that some aliens should be stronger than others because they come from different size plants. No two planets are the same size or mass so gravity on each planet should also differ. This is the same concept they used in John Carter where he goes to mars and is stronger than anyone else and can jump farther. The gravity on mars is less because the size or mass of mars is smaller than earth.

G-forces only apply when there is gravity. Empty space has no gravity so there wouldn't be any G-forces, basic physics knowledge.

Wow. Your basic physics knowledge needs to be upgraded.

"G-Forces" are simply measurements of acceleration due to changes in inertia. The "G" isn't there because its caused by gravity, but because it is measured in units based upon the acceleration imparted on objects subject to the Earth's gravity, ie: in multiples of 9.8m/s^2.

Suppose I am in open space traveling at 1000m/s. I fire my thrusters for two seconds. Now, I'm going 1019.6m/s. My average acceleration over those two seconds is 9.8m/s^2. Over that same period of time, I am subjected to an average of 1G.

No gravity well required. Because G-Forces aren't caused by gravity, but the force required to accelerate a mass, whether that be speeding it up, slowing it down, or changing its direction.

Edited by Malastare

Really amazing how a simple thought turns into a pvp war. I was seeing things like rockets and blasters doing visual dmg and lightsabers arent doing nothing but being glow clubs. A finishing move for low health like a be-heading or a run through visual would make me smile. I was not simply saying a one shot killer lightsaber, but more on the terms of a visual standpoint. Im a PVE gamer, always have always will, not into a pvp. So what im saying is that something visually would keep me smiling with using a lightsaber as a real weapon isntead of a glowing bash stick....

Also as far as it is rated T for teen, ive done quests where killiks are hit with something and they explode. So a simple anumation for saber decaps or run throughs wouldnt be that bad. Thanks for those who understood what i posted. I just want to feel like lightsabers are more than a club for beating. Human and alien decaps and run throughs wouldnt be terrible, granted a decap is a decap, but a run through really wouldnt have any blood.

Maybe in this era, sabers are not as strong as they are in say... the Civil War era.

I'd say this ^.

After all, in the Opening SWTOR Republic movie, Satele Shan actually takes one to (not through, mind you, to) her palm and stops it from going any further, with not even a singed hair (of course, why she would have hair on her palm is another matter for lonely speculation). So how powerful can they be if you can just pull a Spice Girls and stop one with a "don't go there" gesture?

Just saying'...

Also as far as it is rated T for teen, ive done quests where killiks are hit with something and they explode. So a simple anumation for saber decaps or run throughs wouldnt be that bad. Thanks for those who understood what i posted. I just want to feel like lightsabers are more than a club for beating. Human and alien decaps and run throughs wouldnt be terrible, granted a decap is a decap, but a run through really wouldnt have any blood.

Two points:

First, bug explosions are not considered nearly as grotesquely violent as human decapitation by the ESRB.

Second, wouldn't any lightsaber wound be immediately cauterized to eliminate any blood flow? No blood should help mitigate the violence factor for the ESRB at least...

Eh im just wishing that lightsaber users would actually get an awesome visual graphic for a killing blow. Id be happy with a run through that shows a hole in someones chest or a driod being sliced in half. It isnt too much to ask, just want to feel like lightsabers should do more than what they are doing.

Well WOW was designed more for a child and its getting worse with the upcoming release of kung fu panda and pokemon companion battles. But yea i get what your saying. The one thing i dont get is that most kids play war games and such with all sorts of blood and explosions, so why can't we have some of this aspext?

If they re-did the combat animations you could have it where a jedi during a fight never connections a killing blow until the end of a fight. So you see more parrying, deflects, punches, kicks, and slight hits with the saber. Then for a killing blow it fully connects to kill the target in what would equal a one hit kill.

Unfortunately decaps and limb loss wouldnt have any blood to them because sabres cauterize wounds, so you wouldnt see any blood. Granted i would love to see a finishing move at like 10-15% health that does like a cool visual, like a run through for humans and aliens, and slicing in half for droids....

Why light sabers are called sabers while they should be called swords? Because a saber has only one cutting edge, and its shape is slightly twisted in the middle, while the sword is usually doble edged and has a straight shape. Edited by Ivanblood

Why light sabers are called sabers while they should be called swords? Because a saber has only one cutting edge, and its shape is slightly twisted in the middle, while the sword is usually doble edged and has a straight shape.

They were originally called light swords in the script but Light Saber has a better sound to it!

Lets make a deal, the first time a lightsaber hits someone it kills them if the first time my trooper's blaster bolt hits you you die. Will be like License to Kill in Goldeneye except you have to karate chop people and I have the gun. :) Edited by Keypek

Real light sabers, when one is hit against another, would go throgh each other and kill the men that are holding them.

Based on what reason?

That they're made of light?

So, that's why modern armies love Light Infantry. Bullets pass right through them!

-Or-

How many people does it take to change a light bulb? None! It's impossible because you can't hold on to light!

(I recognize it was supposed to be a snarky comment... I'm just not in the mood to suffer people who decide to be foolishly literal.)

Think of it in this context.

Movies need to be balanced too. You would not want a jedi to run around and 1 shot everything and even he/she does it, there are a lot of everyones.

Basically it is either

1) Jedi vs 20 droids = 1 shotting everything

2) Jedi vs 1 Sith = 20 parries

3) Game Jedi vs Sith = 20 continues hits

Basically however you look at it, basically same time investment is necessary. The difference is that in a video game, having full blow combat there you have to parry every ability is kind of impossible.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.