The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PT fun?

jasonkendle

Hello everyone I have been leveling an assassin as my first character, and got him up to level 43 now so i have a lot of the core skills, and what not. I have sort of lost interest in it at this point, I mainly pvp to level and do just the story quests on planets.

My question is how do you guys like powertechs? Just from my pvp experience in the 10-49 bracket they look like a blast to play. My sin is getting pretty stale because im not a huge fan of the easy burst rotation that it has, along with stealth which i really don't care for.

So in your opinion should I just grind out to 50 on the sin in the hopes it gets better or are pts really a blast to play like it looks like they are?

Hello everyone I have been leveling an assassin as my first character, and got him up to level 43 now so i have a lot of the core skills, and what not. I have sort of lost interest in it at this point, I mainly pvp to level and do just the story quests on planets.

My question is how do you guys like powertechs? Just from my pvp experience in the 10-49 bracket they look like a blast to play. My sin is getting pretty stale because im not a huge fan of the easy burst rotation that it has, along with stealth which i really don't care for.

So in your opinion should I just grind out to 50 on the sin in the hopes it gets better or are pts really a blast to play like it looks like they are?

Well the burst rotation of a Pyro is very easy as well. It's just subject to very annoying RNG that makes you super excited, or punching a wall.

The class is amazingly fun to play otherwise. I thoroughly enjoy it.

Honestly, both classes are very similar. Sins are more effective in their tank build (with dps gear, due to them being able to semi self heal and put our strong damage also) than we are, and their Deception build has amazing burst (although they become wet paper bags when taking damage)

PT has much better AOE Pressure then a sin does so in large scale battles you can really throw off a healer if you time your death from above at the right time (or explosive dart/flame thrower)

If you like melting faces, flame throwing, missile launching, jetpack flying, harpoon grappling, wearing cool armor, best class animation, having a kick *** dps tree, having the least spike dmg tank tree, having the option to dps or tank HMs in the same hybrid spec, then yes it is fun. Otherwise it sucks!

From your assassin, you'll be giving up stealth, force speed, an excellent set of defensive cooldowns and an easy resource system to manage.

Powertechs offer some durability (though their cooldowns are weaker than an assassin or a juggernaut's), good AoE output on moderate timers, a good array of short-duration control mechanisms, potentially good mobility if specced into Jet Charge or Hydraulic Overrides, and an extremely flexible engagement profile (which is my favorite aspect of the class).

In my experience, the single-target burst of both classes is comparable. Pyro specced, if the RNG smiles on you, PT burst is stupid high, but with average luck the assassin probably has a slight edge depending on both classes' specs and players. I've only played the PT to endgame thus far though, so that's more of a gut feeling from playing against assassins and comparing between the two for the first half of the game than a hard assessment.

alright thanks for the insight guys, im gonna give a pt a try looks like im gonna have to get to about 30 on it for ppa to really test it out, so im gonna give that a shot.

At first i was against starting over but its so easy to level in this game im not too worried about it.

Thanks for the help

alright thanks for the insight guys, im gonna give a pt a try looks like im gonna have to get to about 30 on it for ppa to really test it out, so im gonna give that a shot.

At first i was against starting over but its so easy to level in this game im not too worried about it.

Thanks for the help

I'm like you. Prefer levelling via pvp and just the story quests. Powertech pyro is great for pvp right from the get go its similar to a sniper/gunslinger in that way. You get great damage right off the bat.

I've got a gunslinger, powertech pyro, shadow and a marauder and keep coming back to my powertech. It's been the most fun for me :)

what is this hybrid spec,i thought the only viable dps spec powertechs had was pyrotech

21/2/18

When I spec Hybrid, all I need is to switch generators and stances depending on whether I am dps or tank. I stay in dps gear all the time. As a dps it is more than enough for HM FPs. As a tank I believe is much better than going full ST. Because as a tank you will be pumping out alot more dps, keeping aggro and compensating for another dps if need be. Of course I wouldnt recommend tanking in full dps gear if your healer is a fresh50 with less than decent gear.

Edited by Agooz

tank HM FPs is too easy,

i can tank with pyro spec,

but in endgame raid we wont allow hybrid spec PT in our guild.

I doubt you cant tank in pyro spec, maybe if you are running with 2 healers, and of course anything beside BT. Even trash reds hit for over 1k. Having shield prob at 10% at best, over 60% less armor. No thread beyond your dps, unless you go IGC and cap your heat on 1-2mobs, let alone a boss fight. I am quite sure you were exaggerating.

Hybrid spec make excellent offtank in endgame raid while sacrificing little dps, a role which will get more exposure in 1.2 and beyond.

That's post surge nerf and queuing solo like the 90% of us? :)

I highly doubt that this is a common occurrence by any measure.

Solo queue, and post surge nerf. If it was pre, I would have had 75k+ healing because of the shock water :p

This isn't a common occurence though. As you can see, the pubes have several healers, and we had one really good one.

This allowed me to not die much and keep pumping damage into targets while they are being healed.

on top of that, the pubes inexplicably kept grouping up, making my DFA's hit many targets usually.

Edited by Humankeg

at 50 with good gear

assassin > powertech

the ability to self heal, force speed in huttball for capping , stealth cap in civil war , having the same kind of opening burst then an Ops etc.

And quite a few Pyros eat assassins for breakfast. There is absolutely no way someone can convince me otherwise, because I do it everyday. In fact, I would say some marauders are harder to deal with than assassins. Still, with lady luck usually smiling on PTs, hardly anyone escapes the facemelting. :D

tank HM FPs is too easy,

i can tank with pyro spec,

but in endgame raid we wont allow hybrid spec PT in our guild.

I run 21/2/18 for HM operations so I can be the second tank where needed and still do decent dps where needed. Reminds me of BC era feral druids, where with a slight bump down in tanking performance (10% block, 2% more damage taken trading off with 2% defense) and a huge increase in CGC stance damage. Plus it's just more fun.

BW please don't nerf all hybrid builds.

And quite a few Pyros eat assassins for breakfast. There is absolutely no way someone can convince me otherwise, because I do it everyday. In fact, I would say some marauders are harder to deal with than assassins. Still, with lady luck usually smiling on PTs, hardly anyone escapes the facemelting. :D

Pyros eat assassins that are played by worst players. The two classes that counter pyros are assassins and marauders.

Pyros eat assassins that are played by worst players. The two classes that counter pyros are assassins and marauders.

A properly played pyro can go toe to toe with either. Do I every die to an assassin or a marauder? of course, but no more than when I die to any other class. Do I fight sins and marau the same as I fight a sorc? of course not.

Edited by Agooz

Yep.

Specifically, the tank and anni specs - and rage if they pop all their CDs.

A properly played pyro can go toe to toe with either. Do I every die to an assassin or a marauder? of course, but no more than when I die to any other class. Do I fight sins and marau the same as I fight a sorc? of course not.

Then I don't think you're facing very good ones., or they're not geared yet since both said specs are fairly gear dependent. Its not a skill issue, its simply about class mechanics. Stacked bleeds, force shroud, undying rage, self-heals etc. Pyros are all about burst. If a class has the tools to stunt our burst we dont have a fall back plan.

Tanky sins and maras have just those skills. Thus, a good player can and will beat a pyro with reliability.

Edited by Sowwy

Its a close fight, but both classes played properly the PT will lose every time. This is not a QQ btw. I think PT's are very strong, and am happy its only these 2 classes that counter them.

I do think that the new Marauder buffs will make it so PT's will never beat a Marauder (actually, no class except a Marauder will beat a Marauder).