Darthater asks BW about engine optimization.

Rogoo

So how comes my 3 years old PC runs at 30-40 FPS on Alderaan?

People shouldn't be allowed to buy PCs if they don't know how to use them...

Well if you actually read the thread, or any of the major discussion points, you would know it isn't just about Alderaan.

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes cause the thousands of post about fps drops on planets and Wz just didn't happen. People like this shouldn't be allowed to post, this is why its not getting fixed cause some kid with a 3 year old computer plays it fine. Thats nice but my gaming rig that plays bf3 and crysis 2 on ultra doesn't, yet this game and only this game does it drop in the 20's if not lower. So must be the rig. :rolleyes:

They know they have a crap engine if they had a good one they would of added more people to illium not made it so the planet could hold less people. Two games in beta that run better then this trash of engine at launch.

Well if you actually read the thread, or any of the major discussion points, you would know it isn't just about Alderaan.
Actually, that's what this thread is about. Haters may have hijacked it, but the initial post intended to call Daniel Erickson out on the claim that, and I quote:

Wow. You should do some investigation, because that [10 FPS on Alderann] is not typical.

That claim, though, is absurdly true. 10 FPS on Alderaan is not typical. 10 FPS is the sort of thing people post about of 20x20 on Ilum, not of Alderaan.

I'd also like to point out that the question is vague. Does it refer to Alderaan the planet, or Alderaan the warzone? Either way 10 FPS is still entirely "not typical."

Yes cause the thousands of post about fps drops on planets and Wz just didn't happen. People like this shouldn't be allowed to post, this is why its not getting fixed cause some kid with a 3 year old computer plays it fine. Thats nice but my gaming rig that plays bf3 and crysis 2 on ultra doesn't, yet this game and only this game does it drop in the 20's if not lower. So must be the rig. :rolleyes:

They know they have a crap engine if they had a good one they would of added more people to illium not made it so the planet could hold less people. Two games in beta that run better then this trash of engine at launch.

You just made my point so much more true.....

Actually, that's what this thread is about. Haters may have hijacked it, but the initial post intended to call Daniel Erickson out on the claim that, and I quote:

That claim, though, is absurdly true. 10 FPS on Alderaan is not typical. 10 FPS is the sort of thing people post about of 20x20 on Ilum, not of Alderaan.

I'd also like to point out that the question is vague. Does it refer to Alderaan the planet, or Alderaan the warzone? Either way 10 FPS is still entirely "not typical."

I thought the haters,trolls and astroturfers moved on already. When are they going to FO back to tardcraft??

How little I know is that I have yet to encounter a single problem presented aside from installation of the game, which I rectified on my end, not theirs.

Guys, no one problem will be experienced by every player. I mean c'mon, this should be pretty basic common sense. However, when a significant number of players all report the same problem, then the problem is BW's. Especially since all of us have rigs well beyond the specs required for this game. The game engine is flawed, most likely because they took an alpha test version of it and then re-wrote large sections. Given how much dialogue they were adding to the game, they should have chosen a tried, true, and heavily tested game engine to go with.

The conversation has gone on long enough that I think it's fair to put the burden of proof on those who say they don't see a problem. Post a video showing your awesomesauce framerate, then post your config so we can all be as blessed as you, or G.T.F.O. and quit trolling. Edited by Allegos

The conversation has gone on long enough that I think it's fair to put the burden of proof on those who say they don't see a problem. Post a video showing your awesomesauce framerate, then post your config so we can all be as blessed as you, or G.T.F.O. and quit trolling.

The burden of proof fell on those people, and mainly BioWare, when the complaints were substantiated by major publications. When in Beta BioWare was told of the issues, Tom's Hardware even had commentary on the matter. Then again when the game launched people expressed concern about it. Finally having both PCGamer ask about it and GameInformer to bring it up.

BioWare isn't just ignore the subscribers, and pointing fingers at us, but they are ignoring leaders in the industry. Tom's isn't the be all end all, but they have a pretty good handle on their hardware. If they find the issue, the same issue as many players......

Well, the owner of that property might want to actually take a step back .

I'm pretty sure, you just pulled those numbers from your behind. Post some kind of proof to proove me wrong.

I'm pretty sure, you just pulled those numbers from your behind. Post some kind of proof to proove me wrong.

wow, I didn't know 30-40 fps constituted high end!

A screenshot enough? Coz I am not going to install fraps just because your PC is crap

A screenshot enough? Coz I am not going to install fraps just because your PC is crap

so you don't know how to enable the ingame fps display? I'm sure you know what you're talking about, lulz.

Edited by Rikeryo

If you have a 3 year old PC, then I'm pretty sure mine is better than yours, but that's entirely NOT the point here.

Other than that - no, screenshot would not be enough because:

a) you can easily photoshop it

b) we are talking about CONSISTENT framerates, like you know, perma 40+ fps, not a "here I have 50 fps, but as soon as I turn my camera it goes down to 20, so I'll just post the one where it shows 50"

Wow. You should do some investigation, because that is not typical. Where we are on game optimization in general is we’ve got some crazy, crazy options that you can turn on in 1.2. I played running around on several of the planets at fully acceptable wonderful running framerates on min spec machines now, which was the thing I wanted to see.

What we got right now is a big texture package pass, and we did it in both directions. So we can say, “Hey, you can take the textures way down, run around, the game works.” We’ve also said, “Hey, you know those textures people keep saying they like so much in the promotional videos? You can turn those on too now.” Because now we figured out how to do it in a small area so it doesn’t try to do it everywhere.

The next big thing we have to hit is effects, and that’s just a standard of what games do is say, “Hey, you know all those crazy crazy effects that everybody else is drawing? Yeah, maybe I don’t want to see all of your lightning storms all at once.” We have a programming team now that literally that’s their only mandate is game run better. Long term target is you should be able to play on your laptop, you should be able to play on your second and third machine in the house. And we are fiercely dedicated to that goal.

I dont know where you are getting there not hearing you or trying to make the game run better for you!!!!!!!

If you have a 3 year old PC, then I'm pretty sure mine is better than yours, but that's entirely NOT the point here.

Other than that - no, screenshot would not be enough because:

a) you can easily photoshop it

b) we are talking about CONSISTENT framerates, like you know, perma 40+ fps, not a "here I have 50 fps, but as soon as I turn my camera it goes down to 20, so I'll just post the one where it shows 50"

I can assure you the only place I run below 20fps is the fleet (I don¡t run WZs). Still the whole thread is about darthhater's mega PC running at 10 FPS on Alderaan.

That's ridiculous

I can assure you the only place I run below 20fps is the fleet (I don¡t run WZs). Still the whole thread is about darthhater's mega PC running at 10 FPS on Alderaan.

That's ridiculous

it's about warzones and pvp in general. learn to read, thanks.

Edited by Rikeryo

it's about warzones and pvp in general. learn to read, thanks.

Nope, the article talks about Alderaan but thanks for the try

Actually rereading it seems to refer to alderaan WZ so I stand corrected :(

Still 5-10FPS seems way low

Edited by mutharex

Nope, the article talks about Alderaan but thanks for the try

Q: Where are you on game engine optimizations? Because I currently get about 5 to 10 frames per second on Alderaan and about 20 in Huttball and I have a PC that can run Crysis 2 at ultra. With no real explanation on what is going on.

alderaan (CIVIL WAR), huttball = warzone = pvp?

I have ~10fps in heavy combat on alderaan with a rig that exceeds the recommended specs by far.

Edited by Rikeryo

That's ridiculous

The thread is pretty much not only about his PC. It's about many high-ends rigs that struggle with SWTOR, whilst being perfectly fine with current system killers (namely Battlefield 3 and Crysis 1 and 2).

Mine included.