Crew Missions (Bioanalysis) Is there a secret to it?

Appletaz

Why are the missions I have for Bioanalysis so limited? There are 2-3 items that I always need, and the missions are so limited in their choices it can take me so long to get them. And yet, the missions for things I can buy at the crew skills vendor, like syringes and stuff, fill my list up.

I don't want missions for syringes and processors!! I can buy them easily at the npc. I want the samples and compounds that I need to produce my wares and are very inconvenient (meaning that it would take days to do) to gather because the nodes are unpredictable and sparsely placed.

I would like to have the hardware missions removed and more sample/compound missions added. Or make the nodes for gathering these items more prevalent in the appropriate areas. Thanks!

Edited by Appletaz

At the verry least, it would be nice to loose the ones that are a loss to run the missions for.

Some of the stuff you get cheaper from running the missions vs buying from the vendor, but a lot of them you can get cheaper (barring a crit) buying from the vendor.

IE: (totaly made up numbers) If syringes and medkits cost 10c appiece at a crew skills veindor, and you have a moderate mission that normally returns 5 Syringes and 5 medkits, but it costs 150c to run... you can buy the 10 units for 100c at the vendor...

There's no resaon to run the mission in the example above, barring a situatoin where you're in the field and HAVE to have a medkit, etc right now without running back to the main town.

Why are the missions I have for Bioanalysis so limited? There are 2-3 items that I always need, and the missions are so limited in their choices it can take me so long to get them. And yet, the missions for things I can buy at the crew skills vendor, like syringes and stuff, fill my list up.

I don't want missions for syringes and processors!! I can buy them easily at the npc. I want the samples and compounds that I need to produce my wares and are very inconvenient (meaning that it would take days to do) to gather because the nodes are unpredictable and sparsely placed.

I would like to have the hardware missions removed and more sample/compound missions added. Or make the nodes for gathering these items more prevalent in the appropriate areas. Thanks!

I think this is an intended function to limit crafters from absolutely dominating a market. We cannot easily mass produce items in TOR and I think that is intentional. In terms of simply levelling and making what you use yourself, I went through biochem to 400 and constantly sold excess stuff to others levelling while crafting for myself and enough to put on the GTN to gross 100k a day, at least 50-60k net. That is a perfectly reasonable pace.

Yeah I'm from an mmo that mass production was the name of the game but this isn't that game, nor will it ever be.

Edit: since you did ask a question in your OP title, simply put, run missions for compounds and samples as often as possible. While levelling a trooper, about Taris you run into a cash shortage but if you start hitting dailies it makes up the difference. You will quickly out level yourself and always have an excess of supply for when you actually need to use what you are able to make.

Edited by Maxell_Snow

Right now I am level 50 on my toon, and to spend the time required to gather the mats is really out of line. Since I basically only do WZ these days, it doesn't take me to the places I need to go. Missions end up being more expensive, which I suppose is okay. But that IS the problem, in my eyes, since the Missions are so limited and the samples and compounds missions are so few. This needs to be adjusted, imo.

Producing mass numbers? LOL I am hard pressed to be able to make 5 - 10 at a time of the stims that I need.

The excess use of one ingredient per tier, and the lack of missions to get that ingredient, is deliberate, as one poster above said. He seemed to do fine, while I struggle to get enough to produce the greens to re the blues, to get the reusables. But I'm probably doing it wrong. :rolleyes:

One method to get the missions you need is to refresh the list by zoning (on to your ship for example) or by logging on and off. I find the latter method to be quicker if I'm in a small cantina. Doing so is no guarantee of course, since the mission you want is the least likely to appear, but at least there is a chance of getting it.

At the verry least, it would be nice to loose the ones that are a loss to run the missions for.

Some of the stuff you get cheaper from running the missions vs buying from the vendor, but a lot of them you can get cheaper (barring a crit) buying from the vendor.

IE: (totaly made up numbers) If syringes and medkits cost 10c appiece at a crew skills veindor, and you have a moderate mission that normally returns 5 Syringes and 5 medkits, but it costs 150c to run... you can buy the 10 units for 100c at the vendor...

There's no resaon to run the mission in the example above, barring a situatoin where you're in the field and HAVE to have a medkit, etc right now without running back to the main town.

even remotely accurate numbers and I pity you, because I always get plenty more first aid packs and syringes than the cost of the mission would get me.

Using missions is a horrible way to get Gathering Skill materials. Especially for Bioanalysis and Scavenging, since they don't really rely on finding nodes with an admittedly less predictable spawn method than in (for example) WoW. The best way I've found is to figure out what beasts (or droids for Scavenging) drop whatever I need then go out and farm up my mats while I send whatever companions I don't have out helping me kill stuff out on Diplomacy missions or task them with crafting. For me, getting mats isn't any more of an issue than in any other game I've played, and the only thing that keeps me from mass producing stuff is craft time, which isn't that big of a deal since I usually have three companions crafting at any given time and they craft as I gather and when I log off. Crafting is actually much easier in this game than a lot of other games, but when you give people the option of running missions, they choose to do that instead of grind, which is why I'm raking in the credits (since I get my mats for free, I don't have to account for cost of Gathering missions when I price my stuff, so I'm always the cheapest seller).

Yes, I know that there are ways to do it, though I'm not much for PvE so I have relied upon the market and missions to get my mats. That really wasn't what I meant to say. And I do know the "trick" of logging in and out to repopulate the list.

I'm trying to point out that the system is terrible and, like so many other things I am finding, is a great source of frustration. For instance, how can I get the stims I need and any that my guildies might want when I have to spend days and hours scourging the countryside for nodes or mobs to kill that will give them to me? And if I'm short on time, I can't even generate enough missions to get them for me. Especially when some of hte missions can last an hour or two for the higher level mats, and then when the companion returns it's something you already have 300 of and never use.

In Aion, this was a worthwhile task because the nodes all spawned regularly in pretty much the same places and you could devote a morning or a day doing it and be set for a while. In this game IF you find a node and harvest it, it may not respawn for hours and even then it might be a completely different mat.

I know the developers are very proud of this system, or so they said in the guild summit. To me it makes me pull my hair out. And if that is what makes them proud, then they have accomplished their goal.

There is a secret but not with the missions - fastest way to get components for Bio is to go out and kill stuff. Find a nice little pack of critters and kill, kill, kill.. In just an hour your get 10x what you would though missions alone.

I think it's why the missions are so gated, since the resources are easy to get other ways (kills and nodes).

Yes, I know that there are ways to do it, though I'm not much for PvE so I have relied upon the market and missions to get my mats. That really wasn't what I meant to say. And I do know the "trick" of logging in and out to repopulate the list.

I'm trying to point out that the system is terrible and, like so many other things I am finding, is a great source of frustration. For instance, how can I get the stims I need and any that my guildies might want when I have to spend days and hours scourging the countryside for nodes or mobs to kill that will give them to me? And if I'm short on time, I can't even generate enough missions to get them for me. Especially when some of hte missions can last an hour or two for the higher level mats, and then when the companion returns it's something you already have 300 of and never use.

In Aion, this was a worthwhile task because the nodes all spawned regularly in pretty much the same places and you could devote a morning or a day doing it and be set for a while. In this game IF you find a node and harvest it, it may not respawn for hours and even then it might be a completely different mat.

I know the developers are very proud of this system, or so they said in the guild summit. To me it makes me pull my hair out. And if that is what makes them proud, then they have accomplished their goal.

Missions return the same type of materials based on their name. Track that or look on TOR. when one of those that you need are not available, grab a diplomacy mission and sell whatever blue companion gift you get. Spend those credits on the raws you need, problem solved.

The system is gated so that one person cannot supply an entire guild or the entire demand for a given market segment. That is reasonable and one of the better designs I have seen. Do not get me wrong, in the past I have played trader roles like I do pve or pvp, I want to be the best of the best. In TOR it is easy to be the best, just difficult to make the most.

I'm with her. It's a little over the top. I can't even get together enough materials to keep my own toon in purple mods/etc. I'm only crafting for myself and it's simply too time consuming and too expensive to play the missions lottery. I like the idea that one person can't supply a whole guild but it's ridiculous when one maxxed out crafter can't supply a full suit of purple mods for 1 tier 2 toon.

The worst part is the companion gift missions that you have to sort through to get to a decent materials mission usually gives you a crap gift that isn't usuable for many companions anyway.