Star Wars Books

SilverBlink

I've read just about all of them, it depends on what era you enjoy most in the Star Wars Universe. The Lost Tribe of the Sith is a series of short stories you can get for your E-Reader and takes place during the first Sith/Jedi war and later gives context to a Story line that occurs 40 years after the events in the movies.

Revan, Deceived, and Fatal Alliance all directly tie into SWTOR. Revan is a segway between the KOTOR games a SWTOR and gives backround to the Jedi Prisoner Flashpoint and introduces Lord Scourge.

The timeline during the movies has some interesting collections of short stories. Tales of the Bounty Hunters has stories about each of the Bounty Hunters that searched for Han in Empire Strikes Back, Tales of Mos Eisley Cantina gives background stories on the Aliens you see in A New Hope when Luke enters the cantina.

Any book by Timothy Zahn is a great read, his Thrawn Trilogy was excellent and takes place after ROTJ

New Jedi Order is a very long series (22 books I think) and the 9 book Fate of the Jedi series both are good story lines well after the events in the movies. Book 9 of Fate of the Jedi came out yesterday.

A list of all fiction in chronological order.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_books

I've also never read any SW books (in fact, I rarely read books but anyway...), what would be the ONE book you would recommend a person like me? I like books that have a certain degree of closure at the end, so I don't have to buy the next book in the series.

Thanks for the recommendation. Would reading this novel finally allow me to participate meaningfully in SW discussion, or would that require much more reading?

I'd agree with Plageius for new EU readers, But it's only the beginning. The Zahn trilogy, Outbound Flight, Darth Bane trilogy are all great to go from there. Clone Wars is excellent if you haven't seen it (It gets better every season and Ahsoka develops very nicely. Republic Commando novels are good if you accept Traviss as writing them as pro-Mando propoganda. Young Jedi Knights was cool from what I remember.

If you have the patience to read all 9 books, Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi are interesting.

Allegience and Choices of one by Zahn are cool.

New Jedi Order is the 22 book series. Even I, who has read at least 100 Star Wars books hasn't read it all.

I'd agree with Plageius for new EU readers, But it's only the beginning. The Zahn trilogy, Outbound Flight, Darth Bane trilogy are all great to go from there. Clone Wars is excellent if you haven't seen it (It gets better every season and Ahsoka develops very nicely. Republic Commando novels are good if you accept Traviss as writing them as pro-Mando propoganda. Young Jedi Knights was cool from what I remember.

If you have the patience to read all 9 books, Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi are interesting.

New Jedi Order is the 22 book series. Even I, who has read at least 100 Star Wars books hasn't read it all.

Dayum, that's a lot of books... I guess it'll depend on how much I like the Plageius novel; but thanks for the other recommendations.

The Thrawn trilogy.

The Thrawn trilogy!

The Thrawn trilogy!

Heir to the empire is the first. These are, in my opinion, easily the best SW books.

The Thrawn duo-logy is also good, but not as good.

Mainly because it doesn't actually have Thrawn in it.

Always check ratings. Lucas has been a little loose with the quality control over the years and there are some real turds out there.

I would avoid anything to do with the Yuuzhan Vong. I think this era in the EU containes a lot of the aforementioned turds. I also don't think it's really SW. SW is Jedi vs. Sith, empire vs. republic and the Vong are just some anti-tech religious zealots that don't fit in the SW universe.

Edit: A previous poster mentioned the Thrawn trilogy already. He listed it as the Zahn trilogy for the author, Timothy Zahn.

Edited by jmdatcs

Dayum, that's a lot of books... I guess it'll depend on how much I like the Plageius novel; but thanks for the other recommendations.

There are over 275 novels total, most that were release before Heir to the Empire are really bad and non-canon.

Where is a good place to start reading Star Wars books. I've never really bothered to read anything before but the lore interest me. I would like to start from the earliest time and go up from there.

Just a warning, there's alot of lemons out there in the SW EU books. But if you read only a few SW books, it has to be the Thrawn related books by Timothy Zahn.

Heir to the Empire

Dark Force Rising

The Last Command

There's also 2 books set after that trilogy.

Spectre of the Past

Vision of the Future

The first trilogy felt like a natural extension for the timeframe after ROTJ. And a few of the EU's favorite characters make their debut from Zahn's books.

And as far as novelizations of the movies go, you can't go wrong with the ROTS book by Matthew Stover. It did a far better justice to Star Wars than the ROTS movie itself.

Edited by LemmingLeader

The Thrawn trilogy.

The Thrawn trilogy!

The Thrawn trilogy!

Heir to the empire is the first. These are, in my opinion, easily the best SW books.

Always check ratings. Lucas has been a little loose with the quality control over the years and there are some real turds out there.

I would avoid anything to do with the Yuuzhan Vong. I think this era in the EU containes a lot of the aforementioned turds. I also don't think it's really SW. SW is Jedi vs. Sith, empire vs. republic and the Vong are just some anti-tech religious zealots that don't fit in the SW universe.

Edit: A previous poster mentioned the Thrawn trilogy already. He listed it as the Zahn trilogy for the author, Timothy Zahn.

Just a warning, there's alot of lemons out there in the SW EU books. But if you read only a few SW books, it has to be the Thrawn related books by Timothy Zahn.

Heir to the Empire

Dark Force Rising

The Last Command

There's also 2 books set after that trilogy.

Spectre of the Past

Vision of the Future

The first trilogy felt like a natural extension for the timeframe after ROTJ. And a few of the EU's favorite characters make their debut from Zahn's books.

And as far as novelizations of the movies go, you can't go wrong with the ROTS book by Matthew Stover. It did a far better justice to Star Wars than the ROTS movie itself.

So in summary it's plageius first, then the Thrawn trilogy? (I doubt I have the stamina, notwithstanding the fact that I've got tons of other readings to do; but at least now I know how to begin, if ever... so thanks)

Also, after googling I realised these books seem to fit a nice chronological order somewhat like: Plageius -> 6 Movies -> Thrawn trilogy. Is that right?

So in summary it's plageius first, then the Thrawn trilogy? (I doubt I have the stamina, notwithstanding the fact that I've got tons of other readings to do; but at least now I know how to begin, if ever... so thanks)

Also, after googling I realised these books seem to fit a nice chronological order somewhat like: Plageius -> 6 Movies -> Thrawn trilogy. Is that right?

Yea that's right. If you want the events of what happened after Return of the Jedi and the Thrawn Trilogy, read half of the X-Wing series, that details the retaking of Coruscant.

Edit: A note about the X-Wing series, it almost exclusively involves non Force sensitives, or people that have such little potential that they can't train (one person), its a very, very good series for if you want to read about regular soldiers instead of Jedi and Sith.

Edited by Aximand

Honestly, there are very few books out there I did not enjoy, Dark Saber and Splinter of the Minds Eye being chief among them.

I honestly don't understand the hate for the Yuzzhan Vong, they're honestly one of my favorite series. It's not often that you get to see the Republic or the Jedi constantly getting their teeth in, it's kind of interesting seeing everyone as a refugee, scuttling for their lives.

That said, I honestly believe practically anything that Karen Traviss published to be utter trash. She has absolutely no respect for the source material, or the fans of the source material.

Honestly, there are very few books out there I did not enjoy, Dark Saber and Splinter of the Minds Eye being chief among them.

I honestly don't understand the hate for the Yuzzhan Vong, they're honestly one of my favorite series. It's not often that you get to see the Republic or the Jedi constantly getting their teeth in, it's kind of interesting seeing everyone as a refugee, scuttling for their lives.

That said, I honestly believe practically anything that Karen Traviss published to be utter trash. She has absolutely no respect for the source material, or the fans of the source material.

Like I say, view anyting by her as in-universe propoganda.

I think most people don't like how long the series is (19 books not counting the e-books I believe) and many people hate the way Jacen was portrayed and what becomes of Anakin. I personally enjoyed the Vong war but it did kind of drag during the mini 3 book series based on Nom Anor and setting up for retaking Coruscant. I'm pretty sure it took me 2 or 3 months to read the whole series considering I could only find time to read while I was at work.

If i was you i would go With the Thrawn trilogy first they are by far the best books. Plageius is ok middle of the pack. Thrawn trilogy is what got me HOOKED and i mean HOOKED on reading Star Wars books. I have read pretty much everything since.

Kevin J Anderson also has written some good books. The Jedi Academy Series that came out after the Thrawn Trilogy was very good and outlines Luke's rebuilding of the Jedi Order.

I'll agree with the others in that the New Jedi Order series is very long and some authors did a better job with the material then others (R.A. Salvitore and Aaron Allston were my favorites). In the end I think it was a very good series though. It was nice to see a series of books where the good guys didn't win at times so they weren't as predictable as other SW books.

I've read the Thrawn Trilogy, as well as the 2-part Zahn "Thrawn" set. What next? I'd like to continue the stories of Mara & Luke. Also, that 2-part set mentions things that occur between Zahn's 2 Thrawn sets. Where can I find those stories (ie - the Jedi Academy, Exar Kuhn reborn, Mara with Kataarn, etc)?

Where is a good place to start reading Star Wars books. I've never really bothered to read anything before but the lore interest me. I would like to start from the earliest time and go up from there.

I would recommend the Thrawn Trilogy(by Timothy Zahn): Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, Last Command. They are easy to follow if you are only familiar with the movies (especially the original triology) After that, try the Jedi Academy Trilogy(by Kevin J. Anderson): Jedi Search, Dark Apprentace, Champions of the Force.

The Thrawn trilogy.

The Thrawn trilogy!

The Thrawn trilogy!

I just finished that series about last month, and I can say NO OTHER STAR WARS BOOK CAN TOUCH IT. Really, read it now.

I really liked I Jedi by Michal Stackpole.

It's the only book written in the First Person viewpoint, and deals with Coran Horn learning that he is force sensitive and becoming a Jedi.

Been years since I read it, but it was really cool.

Agree the X-Wing series is great! All of the new books have become very very Jedi centric. It's nice to have this series that deals with the regular guys like Wedge Antilles. I wish that they would do more in this style.

Thawn Trilogy - This series is responsible for getting more people hooked on star wars books than all other books combined. I have no proof of it... but it's true lol

Movie Novels & those set just before and after - Great place to start. Anything that adds to the stories you love is a good thing!

Karen Traviss - I really liked her books, and am sad that her story arc will remain unfinished. Traviss Loves the Mandalorians, and hates the Jedi, and that comes out in her stories. I imagine her stories are kind of like those that we would read about the Romans if we could find what the Carthaginians wrote about them. It was a refreshing take from the Jedi Can Do No Wrong stuff that prevails in the novels.

As mentioned by others in prior posts, I would highly reccomend the books by Timothy Zahn. Zahn also recently wrote a book about Mara that is set prior to the others he wrote, I am currently reading it and it is good so far. I thought the New Jedi Order series was good partially because it was different than the typical 'Jedi vs. Sith' storyline. Aside from those, the Darth Bane trilogy is good, and the "Jedi Academy Trilogy", "I, Jedi", and "Shadows of the Empire" are all excellent and easy to read in my opinion.