Regarding this week's maintenance

StealthySob

What a terrible excuse for maintenance! They have had an entire week to work on bugs and this is what they've come up with?!

1.1.5a Patch Notes

3/13/2012

Companion Characters

Bowdaar

•Resolved an issue that could occasionally prevent Bowdaar from being granted as intended. Players who had not been granted Bowdaar will now have their companion.

Missions and NPCs

Missions

Imperial

•Thus, Always, To Tyrants: Leaving The Tyrant by using the Fleet Pass will no longer cause both bulkhead doors on the Security Deck to become locked.

Sure, last patch was quite nice with improvments...but that doesn't mean they can just skip a week of trying to fix things.

With the amount of simple bugs that can easily be fixed, these patch notes should be pages on pages. I understand they are pushing to release 1.2, but they need to focus on fixing bugs throughout the process of developing new content and this is a joke.

I get the feeling that my money is going to an immature team, that only wants to focus on the fun things to develop. They don't want to focus on debugging and the boring stuff, they would rather fresh features to work on. This is usually how teams can drift away from producing a product that is solid and stable.

I never rant or QQ, but there are so many small changes that can be made to improve gameplay. Patch notes like this disappoint me and I expected more from them this week, having heard from us at guild summit.

Edited by StealthySob

Lets see, what happened this week? Oh yes the guild summit took time out of their schedules to begin with.

On top of that, the 2 fixes they made we have no idea how long it took them to find and fix the problems.

Plus they are still getting patch 1.2 ready.

News flash, it is quite possible that we will not see any more bug fixes until after 1.2 unless it is a game breaking fix like the ones they just fixed.

SNIP...

I never rant or QQ,

We'll now that's a lie isn't it.

but there are so many small changes that can be made to improve gameplay. Patch notes like this disappoint me and I expected more from them this week, having heard from us at guild summit.

You're looking for patch 1.2 that is coming later. Those that hated losing there companion are mos t likely very happy. Can't you just let them be happy?

Lets see, what happened this week? Oh yes the guild summit took time out of their schedules to begin with.

On top of that, the 2 fixes they made we have no idea how long it took them to find and fix the problems.

Plus they are still getting patch 1.2 ready.

News flash, it is quite possible that we will not see any more bug fixes until after 1.2 unless it is a game breaking fix like the ones they just fixed.

They have stated that the team working on new content (1.2) is not the team fixing bugs. And the guild sumit was just the new content team, so why only two fixes?

It does sound like you are QQing.

There is no such thing as a simple bug fix. The code is a complete package and minute changes to one part could adversely affect another part with no seemingly obvious connection.

To test something properly takes time. they will write one week and the developer will put it through unit testing. The fix then has to be put QA who will test it when they are done testing other stuff depending on priorities.

The patch itself has to be put together and tested as complete update along with other updates happening in the same patch. Once they have unit tested and pushed this through QA it will most likely go to the test realm for more testing.

The fact they pushed this out was because they felt it was high importance am sure smugglers also thought it was high importance that one of their companions was broken.

tl:dr It takes more than 5 days to repair and patch a bug?

Edited by corbanite

it takes a while to fix any sort of bug from glitchie gfx to random shadow,

fix one part of the code will leave another broken,

BW are very quick at sorting out major issues that lead to explots etc,

out of intrest what bugs are you experancing that are game breaking?

I think his QQ is more because they spent the entire week fixing only 2 things, when there is so much that needs fixing. Do they only have one or two people fixing bugs?

Just because there are only 2 things being fixed in this weeks patch doesn't mean that they only worked on 2 things this week. It just means these 2 things are the only ones they felt confident were ready to be pushed out.

They have multiple teams working on different aspects of the game. As a team finishes up a bug fix or new feature they'll send it off to be tested by QA, then it gets put in a patch. This process can take a week, to a month depending on the issue.

tl;dr This is not an easy process and takes time even for an experienced dev team. So be patient.

What a terrible excuse for maintenance! They have had an entire week to work on bugs and this is what they've come up with?!

Sure, last patch was quite nice with improvments...but that doesn't mean they can just skip a week of trying to fix things.

With the amount of simple bugs that can easily be fixed, these patch notes should be pages on pages. I understand they are pushing to release 1.2, but they need to focus on fixing bugs throughout the process of developing new content and this is a joke.

I get the feeling that my money is going to an immature team, that only wants to focus on the fun things to develop. They don't want to focus on debugging and the boring stuff, they would rather fresh features to work on. This is usually how teams can drift away from producing a product that is solid and stable.

I never rant or QQ, but there are so many small changes that can be made to improve gameplay. Patch notes like this disappoint me and I expected more from them this week, having heard from us at guild summit.

This may do you some good.

Agree 100% with OP. 2 items fixed is ridiculous. Lets take for example Ilum, you know that dead planet? Tuesday afternoon sabotage mission stops working, week carries on oh defend ths shipment stops working. Tuesday comes and *** no fix? are you freaking serious? Yes its minor and trivial but add this bs up and it becomes more then a minor trivial matter . Dont do the missions say the fanbois? Take the god damn missions out of the game?

Who wants to bet some creds these 2 silly items will still be borked post 1.2?

Sure thing if i ever seen one

Edited by Horndrid

I think his QQ is more because they spent the entire week fixing only 2 things, when there is so much that needs fixing. Do they only have one or two people fixing bugs?

Exactly Bigbozo.

And it's fine if you guys take it that I'm QQing, first time I have a complaint.

I understand guild summit was recently. I was just hoping some of the simple problems would surface.

Gotcha Carbonite, hopefully they will act on the feedback in the near future then.

out of intrest what bugs are you experancing that are game breaking?

I wouldn't refer to these as game breaking, just small frustrating problems that should've been fixed by now.

* When you reach cap of commendations, you can continue to purchase over maximum

* Party disband after WZ

* Voidstar coin flip on ties

* Illum control point quests that do not leave your list of quests half the time when you've left illum.....and shouldn't be in your quests in the first place

Miniscule additions

* Highlighted name of the huttball carrier in raid frame

* Illum map control point change, showing which faction currently holds it. (I know they said back to drawing boards but this would've been nice a month ago and people still go take points for the buff)

Most of the bugs have been here since beta.

Have you ever done coding? QA? I tend to doubt it else I suspect you might just have a wee bit more patience.

And if you want to be purely pragmatic about it, getting upset over bugs that haven't yet been fixed will:

1. Not expedite their being fixed and...

2. Just make you cranky.

They'll get 'em when they can, by priority (theirs, not ours) and that's the way it is.

I have a lvl 25 smuggler I'm actively leveling.. to me this patch is surprisingly more important than other weeks.

Btw 2/29 no patch at all. Nothing.

1.2 Better have stellar elements added and a ton of fixes for the actual amount of patching that was done through out February and so far in March. I feel like our paid beta is almost over with the release of 1.2, April can't come soon enough.

Fixing bugs was not the point of this maintenance.

They do maintenance every week, patch or not.

Consider that bug fix a perk, as they would have done the maintenance without it.

Not everything is about you

They'll get 'em when they can, by priority (theirs, not ours) and that's the way it is

That's exactly what I have a problem with and my reasoning for this post. I know this thread will not change their priority, this may only be seen by players, and also seen as another person QQing.

I just hope they plan to fix more things before coming out with new content and if they don't, then the new content better not be buggy.

(scenario) New OPS comes out! You get your guild OPS going. So many people came back to the game that you have enough for a 16 man! You get to the last boss, but at 10% it glitches. After attempt 3, you have to reschedule the next attempt and hope he doesn't glitch next time. You realize Wed. night won't work, because SOA requires more attempts and who knows if he will glitch this time... -___-

This is my first time raiding in a game, (so I'm not sure if this is normal) but glitchy raid bosses are the most frustrating thing I've ever come across in a game.

Point is, quality is greater than quantity.

Edited by StealthySob

Generally during most maintenance's there is no patch, they just go over the systems to make sure things are running smoothly and other up keeping tasks so compared to the ones in the past this is on par.

I guess what you should have said is "What a terrible excuse for a patch!".

I am willing to bet you have no clue as to what exactly needs to be done when creating a patch.

Making sure it does not break other things, and if so trying to fix it so it will not do that. Also it depends on testing, was it put through a vigorous testing period and tested enough. What about there being enough feedback to ensure that it was tested.

I love all you armchair programmers, you think it is a matter of changing one line of code and boom "the magic fix". I would suggest trying to contemplate what it is they go through but I have a feeling your minds could not comprehend such a thing.

Fixing bugs was not the point of this maintenance.

They do maintenance every week, patch or not.

Consider that bug fix a perk, as they would have done the maintenance without it.

Not everything is about you

I don't continue to sub for maintenance unless I'm happy with the current state of the game.

The amount of patches and overall fixes have drastically decreased in the past few weeks. The things they are fixing aren't things in general that concern the majority of players. Illum was a waste of time, surge "fix" only made my gameplay worse. But I still see small irritating issues that haven't been fixed since beta/launch.

At this phase, more consistant/relevant patching is needed regardless of what's in the works.

I am however happy I can get my Wookie now, thankyou!

I am not trying to sell you anything, I am informing you that they do weekly maintenance, just like most other game less than a decade old do

You can stay, or quit, it wont matter to me, and it certainly wont matter to Bioware whose subscription numbers continue to climb

At this phase, more consistant/relevant patching is needed regardless of what's in the works.

Exactly! That's all I'm trying to say.

I guess what you should have said is "What a terrible excuse for a patch!".

What a terrible excuse for a patch!*

I love all you armchair programmers, you think it is a matter of changing one line of code and boom "the magic fix".

Yep, onto my next point. In the skills section of each class, they should just put drop a line to balance them. Boom! Problem solved.

(Sarcasm)