What pyrotech build are you using?

Blamminator

I just hit 50 leveling up shield spec. My guild has plenty of tanks so they told me to go DPS spec. A lot of you guys seem to know a TON about Pyro and honestly I know nothing. So whatever builds/advice you can give is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

The standard 4/6/31 has the most DPS per fight and capable at doing high damages at all ranges. You will mostly be in 10m range though.

PvE wise, especially on Boss fights, I would argue that an extra 3% dmg on RS and 9% extra aim, goes farther than the dmg difference between Explosive Dart and TD with the extra point in Burnout. Hence 8/6/27

Edited by Agooz

Thanks for the help all!

I also have a weird question, when soloing doing dailies and such. Who is the best companion? I used mako when I was shielding, do I stick with her? or do I need more of a tank now?

Thanks again!

I use Mako (on elites/champions), Gault for Everything else.

Our tank pets are *terrible* at taking damage, even when they are geared to the teeth.

Edited by exphryl

Thanks for the help all!

I also have a weird question, when soloing doing dailies and such. Who is the best companion? I used mako when I was shielding, do I stick with her? or do I need more of a tank now?

Thanks again!

I use Mako or Torian

PvE wise, especially on Boss fights, I would argue that an extra 3% dmg on RS and 9% extra aim, goes farther than the dmg difference between Explosive Dart and TD with the extra point in Burnout. Hence 8/6/27

For PvE this may be better, but really for proper PvE still want TD.

You can sacrfice the 3%+ tech crit and the Armor peicing railshots for +9% aim since if you should have a good op team that actually use their abilties that lower armor.

90% AP is useless if enemies already have enough armor sunders to drop it to 0.

For PvE this may be better, but really for proper PvE still want TD.

You can sacrfice the 3%+ tech crit and the Armor peicing railshots for +9% aim since if you should have a good op team that actually use their abilties that lower armor.

90% AP is useless if enemies already have enough armor sunders to drop it to 0.

Where outside a 16man raid and with the right class mix can you have 0armor? I really never bought the 0armor argument, because most are running 8man, Hms, PvP. The 90% AP helps in pretty much everything you do everyday.

I think I am gonna use this build, what rotation do you use?

I always open up with flame burst, unless you are at a greater distance then Inc. Missle (which procs your RS). If RS procs, great, if not RP. Heat about to go over max regen, rapid shot. Simple really.

Where outside a 16man raid and with the right class mix can you have 0armor? I really never bought the 0armor argument, because most are running 8man, Hms, PvP. The 90% AP helps in pretty much everything you do everyday.

Well if PVP is an everyday thing for you use TD.

You will not be as effective without it.

For PVE no one is gonna kick you out for having TD.

I agree. My advice was not to prevent him from being declined in a raid. Hec, I'd leave that guild the same moment.

I don't think that flat out saying that someone will not be as effective w/out TD is correct. If you drop TD and Burnout from your spec, you trade a tiny bit of damage for a great deal more utility in a 0/12/25+4 spec.

The utility more than makes up for the damage difference between TD and Explosive Dart, and Burnout is pretty much negligible in PvP.

If you need more burst to kill people, take TD. If you already kill people just fine, but need more control, don't take TD and pick up utility talents instead. I found that pretty much anything that TD helped to kill, I was already going to kill pretty easily, so I dropped it from my spec. ED does the exact same job w/out a 6 talent point investment.

I think it's really more of a playstyle thing, but all some people care about is seeing big burst numbers, which TD will give you sometimes.

This is all from a PvP standpoint, btw, as I don't really PvE.

Edited by Varicite

If you want utility then choose something like CP, the Iron fist build or maybe a high AP build.

I have no idea what you mean buy "if you kill people just fine". I'd say I was killing just fine when I could easily OHKO every single thing with rapid shots, sadly I can't. There is no such thing as too DPS in an MMO. Pretty much anything that increases utility is just situtational unlike a DPS increase that helps agaisnt anything

Not choosing TD actually makes you lose combat versatility in the form of range attack.

With it, Powertechs ranged DPS is almost par with Mercs and Sorcs for the first few seconds of battle.

Explosive Dart is not slightly weaker but quite a bit weaker since it doesnt benefit from firebug.

And especially if you stacking critical like mad a boost in critical damagei s the best.

Dropping TD for the 9% aim increasing your dps by a good margin in PVP. I am still able to drop people lightning fast due to flame burst and rail sshot hitting so much harder. I also went from 270k dmg regularly to over 300k. rail shots max went from 3k to 4k. Edited by TalonPayne

If you want utility then choose something like CP, the Iron fist build or maybe a high AP build.

I have no idea what you mean buy "if you kill people just fine". I'd say I was killing just fine when I could easily OHKO every single thing with rapid shots, sadly I can't. There is no such thing as too DPS in an MMO. Pretty much anything that increases utility is just situtational unlike a DPS increase that helps agaisnt anything

Not choosing TD actually makes you lose combat versatility in the form of range attack.

With it, Powertechs ranged DPS is almost par with Mercs and Sorcs for the first few seconds of battle.

Explosive Dart is not slightly weaker but quite a bit weaker since it doesnt benefit from firebug.

And especially if you stacking critical like mad a boost in critical damagei s the best.

The difference in killing power between a CP spec or high AP and something like 0/12/25+4 is worlds apart.

The difference in killing power between 0/12/25+4 and something like 4/6/31 is pretty much negligible.

Explosive Dart will crit for 2k as opposed to the 4k you might get from TD, it's true, but unless you feel that extra 2k damage (if it crit) every 15 seconds is the difference between killing someone and not killing someone, then it isn't really doing anything extra for you.

What I meant by "if you kill people just fine" is that if you feel that you can kill someone w/out an extra 1-2k damage every 15 seconds, then you probably don't need Thermal Detonator at all. The build is centered around Rail Shots, and boosting Rail Shot damage, and you can get everything pertaining to that w/ the initial 25 points in Pyro. TD isn't what kills people for me; Rail Shot does.

If we were talking about a PvE standpoint only, I would agree w/ you that a straight dps increase definitely edges out utility, but in a PvP environment, extra utility can mean the difference between a clutch win or a loss. 2 seconds off of your Quell cd can definitely mean the difference between catching a heal and not, and I find it a lot more helpful than the extra damage that comes from TD as opposed to ExD. These are moving, LoS'ing, focus/assisting targets, not PvE dummies, so dps increases become just as situational as there are many times when you can't optimally dps a target. The extra utility might cut those times down.

Like I said, I think it's a playstyle thing. For some people, they feel the extra dps of TD is worth it. I feel that Hitman, and lowered Grapple cd are worth giving up a tiny bit of dps for. You can still set up effective combos w/ ExD, and you still bring just as much pain as a full Pyro w/ every single other ability.

Conversely, if you drop TD to go up the ST tree for the Aim increase and other damage boosters, you'll bring more pain than a full Pyro w/ all of your other abilities, so that seems worth giving up TD also.

Edited by Varicite

Dropping TD for the 9% aim increasing your dps by a good margin in PVP. I am still able to drop people lightning fast due to flame burst and rail sshot hitting so much harder. I also went from 270k dmg regularly to over 300k. rail shots max went from 3k to 4k.

As someone who spent a lot of time 8/6/27 for quite a bit in WZs, I recently switch to a 31 point pyro. It's been almost a week now, my kills havent seen any drastic increase. But I definitely notice an overall decrease in damage during a game.

Like someone said before, if your dps is good enough to take down people without TD, you are better off with a 25-27 points build.