8 Hour Maintenance with no patch insight!

Vegetalink

Yes I'm peeved because of the downtime during our prime time, I pay $14.95 a month and expect to be able to play during prime time every day if I want to.

Consider the fact that it cost US$79.95 for the standard digital version (whereas if I was in the US it would have cost US$59.95). That's a $20 difference, and why? The AU$ is worth more than the US$, so how can we be charged $20 more for the same version of the game?

Aussies are definitely a minority, and hence as usual we are not given much thought. If all of us aussies stop our subscriptions for a month though, bet you that will wake BW up and they will move Heaven and Earth to make us happy.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I'm peeved because of the downtime during our prime time, I pay $14.95 a month and expect to be able to play during prime time every day if I want to.

Consider the fact that it cost US$79.95 for the standard digital version (whereas if I was in the US it would have cost US$59.95). That's a $20 difference, and why? The AU$ is worth more than the US$, so how can we be charged $20 more for the same version of the game?

Aussies are definitely a minority, and hence as usual we are not given much thought. If all of us aussies stop our subscriptions for a month though, bet you that will wake BW up and they will move Heaven and Earth to make us happy.

I suggest reading the ToS you signed to play the game. They can yank down the servers at any time they choose regardless of what you expect.

This is the most pointless QQ thread ever. I work 3rd shift. I have Monday and Tuesday night off. The servers almost always go down around 3am for me (On monday). This takes away from my free time to play the game. BUT <---- I don't get angry and act like a child. I understand the importance of maintaining the servers. As much as I hate seeing people quit the game, I'd rather you leave than have to endlessly see QQing on the forums, where maybe 1 out of 10 threads actually have any logic or validation.

Please take time to read the ToS you signed to play the game. They reserve the right to take down the servers at any time they choose regardless of what you expect. They do not guarantee you 7/24 access and play time.

Be happy that they pre-announce, and for the most part (unlike some other MMOs) actually bring the servers back online as scheduled.

Contrary to what you people might think not everyone plays SWTOR the whole day every day. A lot of people have priorities - partners, kids, work, a social life, etc. and can only afford to spend an hour or 2 at SWTOR every day. Some can only afford to play 1 or 2 days and for some (I hope there aren't many of these) Tuesday is their only play day.

It's easy for you americans to point the finger at our posts, the issue doesn't affect you and therefore you can't care less.

I've made my feelings clear, I'm sure there are others who feel the same way. BW is willing to have local AU/NZ servers, so why not go all the way and pay for local staff to perform the maintenance as well? Doing things to the detriment of your clients does not have many good effects.

Just don't make us suffer because you want to take the cheap / lazy way out.

I've made my feelings clear, I'm sure there are others who feel the same way. BW is willing to have local AU/NZ servers, so why not go all the way and pay for local staff to perform the maintenance as well? Doing things to the detriment of your clients does not have many good effects.

The suggestion and customer support threads are located elsewhere in the forum. Your venting your displeasure in general forum servers no purpose, other then to vent.

I try not to post in threads like these. They seem rather pointless to me.

Server maintenance is important for any MMO. Some may have longer down times than others but necessary non the less.

This one does seem rather long but maybe they are preparing for the big 1.2 patch that is coming up. Who knows? Server Maintenance could cover a great many things, but in any case I personally consider it a good thing.

At any rate, whenever maintenace cuts into my play time, I usually just take it as a positive event that will improve my gaming expierence in the long run and just go do something else for a while.

I go have a beer with my brother. Watch a movie that I have been wanting to see (Maybe even my own little Star Wars Marathon). Treat myself to a nice dinner. Ect..

The possibilities are endless. There are plenty of things I do to occupy myself for a while. But the last thing I do is get mad and post angry threads in the General Forum because BW is trying to make my game just a little bit better for me.

The suggestion and customer support threads are located elsewhere in the forum. Your venting your displeasure in general forum servers no purpose, other then to vent.

Perhaps I got carried away, and I'm rushing because I'm posting while at work. Thanks for the clarification, I shall seek out the right forum / section for my comments / suggestions.

And? This is 2012, not your back in the days.

And how the hell does 2012 change things? If anything the code base is larger and the hard disks are much much bigger. What if they defragment the drive, that will definitely take longer. I'm not saying that's part of routine maintenance because I'm not familar with the software/hardware architecture. Just saying some stuff takes longer now.

Edited by JerokTalram

And it doesn't matter *when* it's done - someone's going to be hit by it - all they can do is choose the time when it hits the least number of players (middle of the night in the US - middle of the working day in Europe).

If you only have one evening a week to play, then firstly I'd say that signing up to an MMO in the first place is a bit optimistic (to say the least) - but, having done so, if the maintenance times are that inconvenient for you, I'd choose a differnt game, frankly.

Contrary to what you people might think not everyone plays SWTOR the whole day every day. A lot of people have priorities - partners, kids, work, a social life, etc. and can only afford to spend an hour or 2 at SWTOR every day. Some can only afford to play 1 or 2 days and for some (I hope there aren't many of these) Tuesday is their only play day.

It's easy for you americans to point the finger at our posts, the issue doesn't affect you and therefore you can't care less.

Oh grow up. BW didn't make your schedule. No matter when they run maintenance, they are going to effect someone. You're only going to get a small amount of simpathy and BW is not going to change their schedule for you so growup. You have a free night, go out on the town, shoot some Kangaroos, whatever. Have a life.

Edited by JerokTalram

Oh grow up. BW didn't make your schedule. No matter when they run maintenance, they are going to effect someone. You're only going to get a small amount of simpathy and BW is not going to change their schedule for you so growup. You have a free night, go out on the town, shoot some Kangaroos, whatever. Have a life.

You might need a reading comprehension class.

EU/AZ servers have always been effected by BW downtime. Telling them to get over it doesn't do a damn bit of good. How would you like it if they server down times were during your week night primetime every week? Would you bother subscribing anymore? I wish BW would pull their head out of their 4th point of contact i.e. arse, but I doubt they will and their subs will suffer outside of the US market because of it. It's actually pretty stupid to NOT cater to the people outside of YOUR primary time zones to ease the impact to their play times.

As an Aussie.. quit your ************ and get over it. It's how it's always been and how it always will be.

You want to know what would happen if we had a different maintenance window to the rest of the world? Our servers would get DESTROYED every Tuesday night. Flooded with so many people that you would be unable to play anyway, either due to absolutely ludicrous queues or to flat out server inability to handle the load.

And before you go 'block anyone not in Asia-Pacific then' - well, that's retarded too.

^In before anyone brings up the pre-launch IP block ********.

They made a point of allowing anyone to play on any server they liked, so it'd really be quite impossible to have a different maintenance window without making the servers basically inaccessible during that time period anyway.

Are you one of the people that fell for Blizzard ******** about "Oceanic servers are going to be destroyed by billions of US players logging in"? You do realise that's not going to happen due to the simple fact that it is not going to be US primetime. You might get 100 people the first week of the new maint schedule and that number will drop off over the next several weeks until it is close to 0.

But, nah, you're probably right. Millions of US players will get up at 3AM and log into Oceanic servers on a Tuesday.

It's early in the morning for me, I'll just run my errands on Tuesday and then chances are it will be up as I get home! :D:D

It would be great if they just dropped the next patch on us with some cool Galaxy-wide event leading up to 1.2. Hopefully a horror themed one along the lines of the absolutely smashing Kaon Under Siege.

Nothing will ever parallel the undead outbreak at the end of Burning Crusade when disease ran rampant and just playing was now a matter of avoiding hordes of undead and staying uninfected. Going on a flight path and watching groups of players without mounts (more than you'd think) trying to outrun other zombie players was just creepy as hell. The cities were empty and eerie and completely toxic and had to be avoided at all costs. It was really like hell on earth (Azeroth).

Edited by Matteis

the problem is is there is no data changes during the maintence why is it not just a rolling restart??????????????????? there is no excuse for this kind of behaviour when their engine supposedly provides data changes without shutdowns in the first place...why no simple rolling restart? their stealing our money by wasting our play time...i did the math and with 2x's 8 hour maintenance's a week bioware owes us 32 days of gametime....even with that time reduced a bit to 8 hours a week in 1 year they will owe us half a months gametime....and i would like that gametime personally since i paid for it....Either that or they shouldnt have used the hero engine with promises of no server downtime during patches etc.

the problem is is there is no data changes during the maintence why is it not just a rolling restart??????????????????? there is no excuse for this kind of behaviour when their engine supposedly provides data changes without shutdowns in the first place...why no simple rolling restart? their stealing our money by wasting our play time...i did the math and with 2x's 8 hour maintenance's a week bioware owes us 32 days of gametime....even with that time reduced a bit to 8 hours a week in 1 year they will owe us half a months gametime....and i would like that gametime personally since i paid for it....Either that or they shouldnt have used the hero engine with promises of no server downtime during patches etc.

So, because they're not sending you an update for your software, that means that the server software/hardware isn't being changed at all.........

Do people actually think before writing?

So, because they're not sending you an update for your software, that means that the server software/hardware isn't being changed at all.........

Do people actually think before writing?

they should tell you if anything if being changed....you pay the company...i dont pay them to not tell me whats going on...thats a whole other thing to be angry about within itself...much less ive never heard of a random 8 hour maintenance in ANY MMO that brought no update....its pathetic to say the least...while rift sits back and looks even sexier day by day with their updates streamlining etc....swtor has been failing MASSIVELY.....Trion should have owned the star wars IP at this rate....

they should tell you if anything if being changed....you pay the company...i dont pay them to not tell me whats going on...thats a whole other thing to be angry about within itself...much less ive never heard of a random 8 hour maintenance in ANY MMO that brought no update....its pathetic to say the least...while rift sits back and looks even sexier day by day with their updates streamlining etc....swtor has been failing MASSIVELY.....Trion should have owned the star wars IP at this rate....

You think that they should list what they're going to be doing on the their servers before they do it? why??? To get your permission? To check that the player base agrees with what they're doing?

They told you that it's going to be 8 hours - they know that every hour that they don't have the product on line will be costing them (if nothing else, it'll be a cost in lost player happiness). They're not going to be down a minute longer than they need them to be.

I could see people being annoyed if they told us that the servers would be down for an hour and then it took 8 hours - but they told you, up front, that they're going to be down for 8 hours.

Edit

"ive never heard of a random 8 hour maintenance in ANY MMO that brought no update" - it's not "random" - it's planned (that's why they told you) - and as for the "any other MMO" bit - try Earthen Ring on WoW - 4 days off line for a rebuild! No patch - new hardware is all - 4 days out.....

Edited by Colow_Leper

EVERY single time the game goes down so they can do things they need to do , If its 30 minutes,2 Hours ,4Hours 6 Hours and so on, someone is going to have a fit thats all there is to it. Edited by CygnusMX

EVERY single time the game goes down so they can do things they need to do , If its 30 minutes,2 Hours ,4Hours 6 Hours and so on, someone is going to have a fit thats all there is to it.

Too true - and they seem to think that the servers are some simple little box that just needs a polish once a week.

And the price you pay is based off of having weekly maintenance. I have seen this post on every MMO I have ever played.

And? This is 2012, not your back in the days.

What's the difference? Does buying a car in 2012 suddenly mean you don't have to change the oil? "ITS THE FUTURE I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO PUT UP WITH INCONVENIENCE ANYMORE" sounds silly and petty, and every time I hear it, I roll my eyes. Long maintenance happens in all MMORPGs. Yes, it's 2012, we know. Were you expecting some kind of time wizard to show up and make all servers maintain themselves?

Edited by Vid-szhite