Why do so many in mmo's now hate grouping?

Badlander

Its the fault of the ADD riddle xboxers that cannot deal with people.

Too bad we can't flag them as such in game and select the option: [Don't group with window lickers] in preference.

This is the kind of poster I was referring to earlier. I'm 50 this year, and I've never owned an Xbox or taken Ritalin.

I've raided. Plenty. Raiding is a lot of things I could mention, but, for me, it's simply NOT FUN. I do not enjoy it. Is it so difficult to accept that other players might feel the same way?

This game, like almost every MMO, lets you progress by soloing and grouping for levels 1 to 49. Why is it so unreasonable to ask for the game to continue to allow both methods for endgame progress?

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, NPCs grief us less than other players.

There are enough entitled, whiny, selfish, loathesome players in the mix that grouping with people you don't know has too low of a reward for the headache you risk. Also, this game attracts a fair number of single-player game players from KOTOR while offering a very good single-player experience compared to most MMOs.

I personally stick to playing with people I know or very cautiously interact with new people I don't get a bad vibe from.

I've had a number of fun PUG experiences, and that thing they say never do, ask in the general chat for people who want to team up to just play the normal game and level? Paid off when I found someone who was same level and had the same attitude to the game and now we frequently team up just to go through normal game content too.

But it's still crazy hard to get teams together for FP's, and that's a shame. Guilds demand a whole different level of dedication and you have to enjoy socializing with the entire guild too, and sometimes that feels like a chore, especially in a large and chatty guild.

But the jaded MMO players who sprint up to 50 and then spend their every waking moment on maxing out their stuff, their stats, their skills and their builds and then PvP rabidly and want super-detailed charts of everything they and everyone else did are just not PUG material. Nothing will ever be good enough, and they approach it with the same level of seriousness as a heart surgeon approaches a difficult bypass surgery. Not my cup of tea, to say the least. It's my spare time and it's fun and a few laughs. If you wipe (especially in a game like this that has no real consequences for dying) you laugh it off and do over.

My gunslinger is level 38. I haven't joined a guild. I haven't even done a flashpoint yet.

Like TheSwamper above, I will be 50 very soon (this month). I've played UO, EQ, WoW, EQ2, & PlanetSide, but I've never grouped very much and only joined guilds half of the time.

I hated dungeons in WoW because they took so long to get through. I don't want to be the weak link in a group because that ruins everyone else's game. I'm not a horrible player in my opinion, but I know I'm not great.

So here's advice for people who want to group or get guild members:

1) Do not send blind invites.

2) Expect most players to be less qualified than you.

That's it.

btw, "antisocial" is probably the incorrect term to use -- "asocial" may be more appropriate, which simply means wanting to be left alone. Antisocial is behavior against society: killing & plundering. (plundering? Am I really only 50? lol)

It is ok to play the game the way you want to

You want to solo, there is a LOT of solo content

You want to group, there is plenty of group content

You want to raid, there is even some raid content

The only thing I ask, is don’t take away the story or rewards from any of those

I solo a lot, I group a lot, I raid rarely

Don’t take away group story and treasure by making it soloable, don’t take away the higher rewards for doing more difficult content ( including the difficulty of coordinating a group ) I rarely Raid, and I don’t expect to be able to achieve the rewards of Raids without Raiding

This whole thread really resonates with my MMO experience.

I am that PUG that no one wants to group with because:

1) I am inexperienced I dont know the "raid" or "Hard Mode";

2) My gear is bad becuase i haven't done the "raid" or Hard Mode;

3) I want to do the "raid" or Hard Mode because that is all that is what I need to do at end game at level 50. I am sure I will eventually be competant if I had a chance to....

What am I supposed to do next? shrivel up and quit, or hope there is an alternative to the "raid" end game.

I admit I am that quintesential PUG no one wants to group with.

In another MMO I played (no not that one), my guild started a new guild specifically for the reasons you gave above. We noticed others in our guild (and not in our guild) were being denied some content because they wanted to do the raids, but the guilds told then they needed more experience doing the raid, and they needed xyz gear, which came from that raid, but wouldn't do the raid with them. So we decided to start another guild specifically for beginners to those raids.

We would setup raid runs, setup a website they could go to and read about the raid, explain to them what equipment / supplies were needed, and took the time to show them how to do the raid correctly, even if that meant we wouldn't finish it - or wipe several times (which meant an XP and/or level loss). For the first few runs we need, we even funded them 100%. We were very much appreciated on the server as people who were once denied that content, now had a way to do it, and learn the ropes.

Word spread quick about what we were doing, so it was a managing nightmare to make sure we weren't always taking the same people. Soon enough, members from other guilds started helping out with the runs and eventually the guild broke up, but by them, I think we had pretty much ran through everyone we could enough so they had enough experience.

Personally, I don't mind showing people how to do something if they've never done it. I've even gone back to my starter planet and helped people there. I've done a couple of FP's and I always ask "has everyone done this before?" It's not to say "Oh you haven't.. /kick" it's more of "OK let's not zerg this and let's show them how to do it"

No I have not read the entire thread but I am still going to put my thoughts in.

I like grouping in mmo's but not in SWTOR, it just is not fun for the most part. Yes doing HM FP on my 50 is fun but that is it. A guild mate and I have alts at the same level so we started to static together. It hit us both last night that grouping is not fun. The social aspect of it is but the game play is just too easy as a duo. We breeze through everything except the 4 man heroics. We can get to the final boss but that has always been too much for just the two of us. If we added two others to the static so we could complete 4 mans, the rest of the content would be an utter joke outside of 4 mans and HM FP.

So for the most part, I really do not want to group in SWTOR as a lot of leveling content becomes way to easy.

I have a problem with handing out super bowl rings to a player that has no team, and no opposition and just picks up a random football and strolls to the goal

If there were a game that was built to be a major sporting event competition then I might be inclined to agree. But MMOs aren't even close to being a major league sport. If they were the game would force you to join a team before you even signed up to get on the field (login).

They are virtual environments more akin to going to a Themepark like Six-flags or Cedar Point. Sure you can go with your family/friends and have a great time. But no-one stops you at the gate and tells you you're not allowed to enter and ride the rides by yourself. And just FYI, none of the "prize winning" games at these places require you to team up with the random strangers around you in order to win those prizes.

MEH, I can't take anyone seriously that compares a super-bowl ring to virtual pixel loot.

Edited by Paralassa
content

Nor can I take anyone seriously that can’t understand the intent of an MMO, why they were created in the first place.

It wasn’t so they could play a solo RPG, you can do that without an internet connection.

Nor can I take anyone seriously that can’t understand the intent of an MMO, why they were created in the first place.

It wasn’t so they could play a solo RPG, you can do that without an internet connection.

closed minds think closed.

No it is called truth

you can play a solo RPG with no internet connection and ALL content is available and achievable, and you don’t even need a monthly fee.

Perhaps you don’t know why MMO’s were created, and what the focus is.

I am glad they have solo content, I am also glad they have group content, I’m glad they have raid content ( even though I rarely raid ) I never expect raid rewards without raiding, I’m not some little kid.

They should continue to provide content for each.

Well, you may not be able to "take them seriously" but you probably should understand that what was then...is not now. Evolution.

Follow the money. What sells is what will be created especially now that the bar is so high in so many aspects of MMOs.

I understand the frustration for those who prefer the originating style(s) but they simply aren't lucrative enough and I am glad that more people are playing MMOs now. More folk to get to know!

Here are your options:

1) if you plan on joining a guild that has already done their progression on the operations you want to get in on, you need to learn the fights before hand (look on youtube, read up on boss strats). If you dont want to do this, then find a guild that is getting ready to start operations.

2) same thing as #1, if a guild has already finished learning fights and they are now farming the operation, you need to get comparable gear to their raid members or as close as you can with the content available to you. Or you can learn how to play your class really well, and do the same or better then a guilds members but with lower gear quality.

3) the way to get noticed is to excel at your role, and then some. If you go into a pug group with some people who happen to be raiders, they may see that your have crappy gear, but you make up for it with skill. You either need to figure out how to play your class/role to its full potential on your own, or seek help in the class forums.

All of your answers assume that every guild is fundamentally identical, and this could not be less accurate. What you've described is a classical WoW hardcore progression guild, that gives basically no support at all to new members, and instead of training or help, simply provides minimum requirements for everyone.

There are however a lot of other options for guilds, from casual progression raiding to RP to PvP-centric. You can find guilds that raid, if that's what you seek, that have training sessions to bring new members up to speed; it is absolutely NOT necessary that you work alone until you're "good enough" to apply, at least not in all cases. But then a lot of this comes down to your decision about what kinds of people you want to surround yourself with, and what kind of social interactions you seek.

So. Other options for finding a guild would include looking for one on the internet. Many guilds have websites, so you can get a sense what they're like, and what they're looking for, without having to luck onto a group with a member in a random PuG. Frankly, PuGging to find a guild seems mildly insane to me, given how bad the odds are of finding a good fit, but to each their own.

I completely agree! It's right there in the name "MMORPG", after all. They're ROLE-PLAYING games, so that's what they're all about. We're here to PLAY a ROLE. Booyeah! Anyone who isn't devoting their efforts to immersion is completely missing the point!

Oh, sorry. That wasn't what you meant at all, was it? You wanted to pick two out of the six letters in the acronym MMORPG and claim that those are all-important, while completely ignoring two others, right? ;)

Look, at the end of the day, the labels really don't matter to anyone. What matters is the game, and the community, and the experience we have as players. The name of the genre doesn't impose any limitations or requirements, except to guide our expectations if we don't know much about the game. That's not the case here, so it's pointless to insist that this game ABSOLUTELY MUST be all about grouping, or role-playing, or whatever. We're all free to get what we want out of the game.

If you aren’t going to comprehend it you aren’t

This is not a stand alone ( no internet connection needed ) RPG game like ME, or Dragon Age

This is an on-line game, where other people log in to, and they can play alone, or achieve greater rewards by banding together and grouping.

If you aren’t going to get it, you aren’t.

and years from now, in whatever MMO or MMO like game we are playing then, I will still be trying to explain the same concept to you,

Edited by Dayln

No it is called truth

you can play a solo RPG with no internet connection and ALL content is available and achievable, and you don’t even need a monthly fee.

Perhaps you don’t know why MMO’s were created, and what the focus is.

I am glad they have solo content, I am also glad they have group content, I’m glad they have raid content ( even though I rarely raid ) I never expect raid rewards without raiding, I’m not some little kid.

They should continue to provide content for each.

What a closed thought process.

Why are you paying a subscription for a solo RPG?

It's not a solo RPG for me. I play with friends all time time. We might not be doing the same mission but we're chatting, or else we'll go help each other from time to time, with killing stuff or just with crafted items.

If I could find a solo RPG that offered me everything that SWTOR did, including the updates and ability to play with my friends and exchange gear like I do now. Without paying... I'd be all over that.

The problem is, that there is no such thing.

It's not a solo RPG for me. I play with friends all time time. We might not be doing the same mission but we're chatting, or else we'll go help each other from time to time, with killing stuff or just with crafted items.

If I could find a solo RPG that offered me everything that SWTOR did, including the updates and ability to play with my friends and exchange gear like I do now. Without paying... I'd be all over that.

The problem is, that there is no such thing.

Then you understand the concept

there are folks here that do not understand it

90% of mygoup play is grouping with family and firends as well, as we dont generally raid I never ever expect to be outfitted as a raider and really honestly dont need to.

It is good that group rewards are higher than solo rewareds.

You seem to get it, but there are some here that simply do not.

What an inability to grasp the simplest concept

Why are you paying a subscription for a solo RPG?

Heh, do you know me or how I play? Do you know if I group or not?

No...you only know that I think that your thought process on this subject is closed minded. You're above answer proves this as you go off thinking that you know something about someone else based only on your "closed style of thought".

Closed minds have closed thought processes.

I am sorry, you have entered into a conversation, and I thought you knew what the topic was

I stand corrected; you are like the guy walking down the street mumbling things without actually speaking to anyone.

Got it

Mumble on brother

But for the rest of you... .seriously... why are you paying a subscription for a solo RPG?

I am sorry, you have entered into a conversation, and I thought you knew what the topic was

I stand corrected; you are like the guy walking down the street mumbling things without actually speaking to anyone.

Got it

Mumble on brother

But for the rest of you... .seriously... why are you paying a subscription for a solo RPG?

Nah, I know what you are talking about. It's that your opinion on the subject is so small and closed minded that I do not feel that there is any reason to try and have an intelligent conversation with you. You already have your mind made up and you are so wrong that it isn't worth much effort.

Edited by Stugotz