The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is there an actual reason for Republic numbers being so low?

Obilam

Because more people are concerned with looking good and having numbers on their side than they are with playing what they truly want to.

I'm a 50 Sentinel, and a basically good person in real life. I made a BH and got to level 10 or so, at which point some Hutt wanted me to hunt down and cut off some dudes head. This dude wasn't evil, he wasn't a criminal (he might have cooked some books, don't recall), he was just trying to provide for his family and make it in the universe. Then I shot him in cold blood, and sawed his head off. I was actually sickened enough by this I deleted the character and started a fresh BH.

But, sadly, this actually appeals to a lot of people. I understand to many, it's just a story, no different than watching a gory movie. Except that these people are rooting for the villain, hoping his plan of mass genocide goes off without a hitch, killing the hero in the process.

Part of my enjoyment of this game was diving into the Jedi Knight role, being good and basically choosing the light-side options that I would naturally pick (although this game is very black and white, there were a few times I would have picked dark-side if not for the impact on my light-side orientation). So I have a hard time understanding a persons desire to shock, torture, kill and play a character without a shred of compassion or humanity. I honestly believe people who ENJOY this are at least slightly twisted themselves. But, I also realize I'm 'projecting' my own view of the matter onto other people, which isn't wholly rational.

The overwhelming server imbalance that occurs on most servers just goes to show that the Empire appeals to more people. Everybody wants to role-play their sick fantasy about being evil, hurting people and getting away with it. It's actually quite a disturbing look at society, imo. The only reason my neighbors haven't killed me in my sleep is because...they fear the consequences? And if those social restrictions were suddenly gone...it's scary to think what barbarians people would become without the law to keep them in check.

This....Many people like to believe that most people are "good" at heart...Hogwash! Most people are disgusting cretins at heart! It's just that most don't feel like going to prison the rest of their lives for a few weeks / months or years of "pleasure" of hurting - **** - stealing of other people...so they simply follow the rules and act out their fantasy's through games - movies or LARP....

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite quoting me you apparently have a hard time with reading comprehension so I won't argue with you. Note the part where I said I deleted and re-rolled a fresh BH. I took him light, and never looked back, so...yeah. l2read.

No. I know the quest you're talking about. It's the one where the Hutt asks you to slay Huttsbane and take his head. You could have opted for the light choice and not kill him, so YOU were the one who chose to "decapitate" the guy.

So really, it's irrelevant that you rerolled another BH because you could've avoided that terrible terrible act if you chose to.

Despite quoting me you apparently have a hard time with reading comprehension so I won't argue with you. Note the part where I said I deleted and re-rolled a fresh BH. I took him light, and never looked back, so...yeah. l2read.

you rerolled after doing the deed. YOU were given the choice to kill or let him go and you killed him. Sure you felt bad afterwards, but still...you made the choice so you obviously aren't as good as you would like to think. Based on that and your above post, I'd say your truely a closet evil character repressing your urges and instead trying to conform to socially accepted norms....or maybe we are just acting out a character and not playing ouselves in thjs GAME.

well yeah; if you look what 3000 years into the future. But the republic wins this conflict. Thats what matters.

Except that they don't. The Empire eventually comes back and the republic and the Empire both exist at the same time independently in different parts of the galaxy.

This....Many people like to believe that most people are "good" at heart...Hogwash! Most people are disgusting cretins at heart! It's just that most don't feel like going to prison the rest of their lives for a few weeks / months or years of "pleasure" of hurting - **** - stealing of other people...so they simply follow the rules and act out their fantasy's through games - movies or LARP....

Pop psychology is sooo 1990. Making judgments about people's moral fiber by their choice of faction in a videogame says more about you than it does about them.

FYI: the republic is as corrupt and evil as the empire. The imperials just do it openly. The republic does it in secret.

Edited by Caelrie

Except that they don't. The Empire eventually comes back and the republic and the Empire both exist at the same time independently in different parts of the galaxy.

Unless a major retcon happens 200+ years in the future, your little scenario doesnt happen. The next darth shows up around 200-300 years from the current game with absolutely no affilation to the Sith Empire. The Republic still around and the jedi council while being in a "time of peace" then the new darth shows up.

Unless a major retcon happens 200+ years in the future, your little scenario doesnt happen. The next darth shows up around 200-300 years from the current game with absolutely no affilation to the Sith Empire. The Republic still around and the jedi council while being in a "time of peace" then the new darth shows up.

Don't blame me for your not having read the books. After the next great war, a clan of Sith shipwreck on Quesh and live there til after Palpatine's time before emerging, but they're not yet reunited (and it's not clear they will be) with the fully-functioning Empire.

The Moffs who weren't at the battle of Endor didn't just show up and surrender. They kept their power and a lot of their claimed systems, and the New Republic couldn't do anything about it.

Edited by Caelrie

Don't blame me for your not having read the books. After the next great war, a clan of Sith shipwreck on Quesh and live there til after Palpatine's time before emerging, but they're not yet reunited (and it's not clear they will be) with the fully-functioning Empire.

The Moffs who weren't at the battle of Endor didn't just show up and surrender. They kept their power and their claimed systems, and the New Republic couldn't do anything about it.

who cares what happens 3000+ years after this game? The point is the Sith Empire of TOR gets wiped out. The sith species never recover from it and have to run off scared into the unknown regions doing nothing for 3000 years.

Right...sith shipwrecking of Quesh, whats your source? The planet first appeared in TOR and hasnt appeared in anything else.

THe reason for more Sith side, is in that the Republic (Good) characters have been the main character of nearly all of the star wars video games ever created. People are probably searching for something different, to see the "bad guys" story.

That wasnt Quesh :confused:. You do know Quesh has only appeared in the TOR game right? It hasnt appeared in any comics.

You're right, my bad. It's spelled "Kesh" which makes it a different planet. That's what I get for listening to an audiobook :) haha

Pop psychology is sooo 1990. Making judgments about people's moral fiber by their choice of faction in a videogame says more about you than it does about them.

FYI: the republic is as corrupt and evil as the empire. The imperials just do it openly. The republic does it in secret.

Ive noticed that too,the Jedi order has beef's with many different factions throughout the planets,also the Jedi seem very top heavy in the decisions they do and some factions were slighted or abandoned at different times and now the Jedi are playing catch up to win them back,it sems to me the Jedi will do some questionable acts if it benefits their cause in the long run.

The Imperials from what i have played so far kinda cut through the chase,plus you have others within the Empire working against you taking credit for your deed's,also with both factions Nar Shadda and the Hutt's is where decisions become very apparent for both sides.

The class quest for the JK when Tython is being threatened "Freaks out" he screams and wants to go on a war path lol.

Edited by Sathid

my server now fleet numbers

20 republic

97 imps

They know balance still bad and they preffer let imps play vs imps on new maps that offer merge :rolleyes:

They dont care about republic equips are ugly jedi end gear are so pathetic that some times i think they made it on mspaint

Solution ?

Give imperial more maps to play imps vs imps who care about republic they are 10% of this game

It's simple. Rep story is lame. Imp is cool and fun.

Rep armour look much worse then Imp.

Attacks look worse then Imps.

Companions look 250% worse then Imps.

Everything with Rep is bad...

You havent played much Rep then,i think the republic companions look far better than the Imperials.

Why? Why do you usually choose evil options? Please explain. I don't. I'm a good guy irl. I help people. I get helped in return. I love my friends and family. I do the right thing, even when not being watched (for the most part, I'm not a saint). So honestly, explain please. If you aren't at least slightly 'intrigued' by the thought of torture and brutality, why choose dark options?

There is an underlying reason behind virtually EVERYTHING a person does. I choose light options, because I'm a good person and the thought of using a shock collar, or cutting somebodies head off etc, physically turns me off. You are obviously different, or you too would have difficulty choosing dark options. The entire reason you get into a story is to relate to the main character, or in this case, you. So please, explain, I'm dying to hear what you have to say on the subject.

I'm with Sheff on that one. I play all kind of characters from the empathic good persons to sick disgusting bastards. And each of them may or may not have nothing to do with how I act in life.

When I create a character, I just imagine a quick background about him or her, about how he or she will globally behave. Then according to the personality I have decided for the character, I will choose the action that fit to it while playing.

Although sometimes the events in the game might modifies the personality of the character. For example in SWTOR I planned at first my Bounty Hunter to be a cold efficient killer just caring about getting the job done. But then when Mako (the first companion), joined my team, her reactions to my Bounty Hunter's actions had influence. Mako made my hero a bit more soft. (And I enjoy that in a game).

It's not any different than an actor, immersing himself into his role for the movie.

Still, the Actor is not behaving in life like he has done in the movies he has played in.

And on a global note about it, I personally hate censorship of thoughts, books, movies or whatever form of virtual representation of imaginary contents. None of them exists, none of it really happens. Yet some peoples, who might not like the depiction of these unreal contents and that's their right as it is their prerogative to not access them, wanna enforce their opinion on others about something not existing and not affecting them or anybody in reality.

To the contrary to what you say, I think that peoples who cannot realize the difference between an in-game character behavior and the player in-life behavior, are the most dangerous ones, especially when they play a dangerous character in game :p

Now of course, you can also have your character personality matching your life personality. But it's not because you only like to play that way, that everyone should.

Edited by Elysith

Because more people are concerned with looking good and having numbers on their side than they are with playing what they truly want to.

I'm a 50 Sentinel, and a basically good person in real life. I made a BH and got to level 10 or so, at which point some Hutt wanted me to hunt down and cut off some dudes head. This dude wasn't evil, he wasn't a criminal (he might have cooked some books, don't recall), he was just trying to provide for his family and make it in the universe. Then I shot him in cold blood, and sawed his head off. I was actually sickened enough by this I deleted the character and started a fresh BH.

But, sadly, this actually appeals to a lot of people. I understand to many, it's just a story, no different than watching a gory movie. Except that these people are rooting for the villain, hoping his plan of mass genocide goes off without a hitch, killing the hero in the process.

Part of my enjoyment of this game was diving into the Jedi Knight role, being good and basically choosing the light-side options that I would naturally pick (although this game is very black and white, there were a few times I would have picked dark-side if not for the impact on my light-side orientation). So I have a hard time understanding a persons desire to shock, torture, kill and play a character without a shred of compassion or humanity. I honestly believe people who ENJOY this are at least slightly twisted themselves. But, I also realize I'm 'projecting' my own view of the matter onto other people, which isn't wholly rational.

The overwhelming server imbalance that occurs on most servers just goes to show that the Empire appeals to more people. Everybody wants to role-play their sick fantasy about being evil, hurting people and getting away with it. It's actually quite a disturbing look at society, imo. The only reason my neighbors haven't killed me in my sleep is because...they fear the consequences? And if those social restrictions were suddenly gone...it's scary to think what barbarians people would become without the law to keep them in check.

Don't forget how many tv shows/movies there are which lead to the villains capture, good trumps evil all the time. People like to be able to try seeing something from a different perspective, aka Dexter.

Hey,

I've rolled a few Imps before and am now 28 levels through my Sentinel and am just wondering where are all my fellow Republicans?

The Reps numbers seem incredibly low and the market is pretty much non-existant.

That doesnt bother me to much, but i was just wondering if there is an actual reason for this?

Regards

People rolled imps , then more and more people rolled imps to join them.

Fact of life , most people flock together , makes a lot of stuff easier to be done.