Hybrid Thoughts

zerfius

So someone posted up the other day about going 21/20/0 for a possible commando build and this seems like it might be what I am looking for. I want to be able to do enough damage to be considered for a DPS role, but also want to make myself more versitile for grouping by having decent off-heals.

Do you think that by going hybrid commando I am hampering myself in both or that it might be a viable, and possibly even desireable, build?

Thanks.

Without a functioning combat log and parses it will be near impossible to tell the difference in damage or healing output from a numbers perspective.

A build like you suggest is very powerful in PVP, from what I have been told. Not high enough to experience it firsthand myself just yet.

Without a functioning combat log and parses it will be near impossible to tell the difference in damage or healing output from a numbers perspective.

A build like you suggest is very powerful in PVP, from what I have been told. Not high enough to experience it firsthand myself just yet.

Pretty far from impossible. It just takes time. Back when all this first started (MMORPG games) we had to just try build after build, it is time consuming, but if you are killing well and keeping people alive (for the purpose of what OP is asking) then you should be just fine.

I realize that now no one cqn do anything without hard numbers, and it is (imo) a pretty sad state of affairs. It takes a lot away form actually knowing how to play.

Anyway, I am sure that someone will make a parser, Dps meters, tactic add-on, basically all you need to do is log in and your add-ons will do the rest add on before to long.

Sad really.

Pretty far from impossible. It just takes time. Back when all this first started (MMORPG games) we had to just try build after build, it is time consuming, but if you are killing well and keeping people alive (for the purpose of what OP is asking) then you should be just fine.

I realize that now no one cqn do anything without hard numbers, and it is (imo) a pretty sad state of affairs. It takes a lot away form actually knowing how to play.

Anyway, I am sure that someone will make a parser, Dps meters, tactic add-on, basically all you need to do is log in and your add-ons will do the rest add on before to long.

Sad really.

I find this to be a rather strange viewpoint you have.

While I agree you can do 'just fine' without numbers in terms of killing things or healing, not having logs to be able to track variations and average dps, etc, in this day and age are fairly crippling. We are a much more numbers/data intensive playerbase, even if you personally might not be.

The comment that somehow looking into the numbers of what you do makes you not know hot to play baffles me. To achieve peak dps you actually have to know exactly how to play, I don't see how you could claim otherwise.

I am very seriously considering this build with 24 points in Combat Medic and 17 points in Gunnery:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800bfRRozfdzZMIkbRb.1

In exchange for giving up preventive medicine and bacta infusion, you get a serious boost to fire power with grav rounds, plus some great survivability improvements with tenacious defense and concussive force. Seems like a trade off worth considering to me.

Until they implement a dual spec, this hybrid build, at least on paper, seems like it could do it all, heal or dps, pve or pvp, fairly well, and I don't want to be respecing constantly.

Of course, I won't make up my mind until I hit 50 and can test builds out properly, but for now this is my plan.