Help me on the nuances of Op healing in PVP....

Hello all,

After being concealment for ever I decided to spec heals. So far I am basically just spamming KProbes, Kolto Injection, recuperative nano, and some diagnostic scans in between. I realize it is not optimal but I am trying to start from basics and move up. So far this gets me 150 to 200k healing with mostly Concealment gear.

My spec is full heals 31/3/7?? with no offensive capabilities; I just want to learn all the talents then respec and optimize later.

I think in time I will learn the best rotation for healing but I do have a few questions;

- Engaged by Melee; what is the best thing to do? Debilitate and run? Cloaking Screen? I take it self healing and engaging is just prolonging death?

- DPS; Duing those times when your team needs more dps than heals, what exactly is the best thing to do; Shiv / BS, or Gren / Snipe / Orbital Strike?

- Tactical Advantage: I take it stim boost surgical probe are preferred, as many seem to think kolto infusion is not optimal...

The one thing that sees counter intuitive as an Op is that it is a semi melee class, but to heal any class will be most effective at range. I realize our ranged (i.e. Cover) utilities have less dps but it also gives you control.

Edited by furiousferret

Hello all,

After being concealment for ever I decided to spec heals. So far I am basically just spamming KProbes, Kolto Injection, recuperative nano, and some diagnostic scans in between. I realize it is not optimal but I am trying to start from basics and move up. So far this gets me 150 to 200k healing with mostly Concealment gear.

My spec is full heals 31/3/7?? with no offensive capabilities; I just want to learn all the talents then respec and optimize later.

I think in time I will learn the best rotation for healing but I do have a few questions;

- Engaged by Melee; what is the best thing to do? Debilitate and run? Cloaking Screen? I take it self healing and engaging is just prolonging death?

- DPS; Duing those times when your team needs more dps than heals, what exactly is the best thing to do; Shiv / BS, or Gren / Snipe / Orbital Strike?

- Tactical Advantage: I take it stim boost surgical probe are preferred, as many seem to think kolto infusion is not optimal...

The one thing that sees counter intuitive as an Op is that it is a semi melee class, but to heal any class will be most effective at range. I realize our ranged (i.e. Cover) utilities have less dps but it also gives you control.

1. This is completely dependent on the situation, but your #1 priority is to get away. Flashbang/Debilitate/Sever Tendon works enough of the time, but if they really have a bead on you, then you will want to vanish. Standing there and healing yourself might be good for your 'numbers' but not good for the team :p

2. Honestly, if there is a situation where DPS is needed, then there is also a situation where healing is needed. Instead of DPSing, i would try and control the fight with some CC to give your team a breather for some heals. DPS is your last priority. If your team is kickin some butt, and you have time to dps, then throw an Orbital Strike of a Frag Grenade in there for some AOE dmg. I personally try and stay out of the 'pack' and always stay near an object that i can run around for LOS incase someone targets me.

3. Always have stim up. Surgical Probe is the bread and butter of our healing. It serves as a topping heal to Kolto Injection (in the middle of the KI cast, start spamming the SP ability to give that instant heal on top of KI). I also like to use it in situations where i am in the middle of casting KI on someone, and see another player taking dmg. I will then switch targets in the middle of the KI cast and start spamming SP to give that guy a bit of a break before i heal him with a KI. Stim Boost and SP are the only abilities that I use TA's for.

Hello all,

1) - Engaged by Melee; what is the best thing to do? Debilitate and run? Cloaking Screen? I take it self healing and engaging is just prolonging death?

2) - DPS; Duing those times when your team needs more dps than heals, what exactly is the best thing to do; Shiv / BS, or Gren / Snipe / Orbital Strike?

3) - Tactical Advantage: I take it stim boost surgical probe are preferred, as many seem to think kolto infusion is not optimal...

1) this is attacker dependent a low burst attacker vs a high burst marauder or poorly played marauder sentinel vs well played one even. Assuming you are in the top third of your health bar are you disengaging or fighting? my preferred options

debilitate - shiv (TA for surgical probe spam can save your life sub 30% health running away) toss your snare on the target as you move away preferably through a clump of your melee or towards your melee or around a LOS point.

If I'm at high health hots active I may choose to engage depending on their health level(Total health, a gearing indication) and class. Usually I'm moving to disengage.

If they close again I consider using my longer CD's vanishing or flashbang(like to save for multiple attackers generally).

Use your defensive CD's as appropriate. It's very hard to get away from a sorc sage because of slowing pebblles and lightning so against one of them backsiding me I may well vanish first. (Shadows are very good at popping a vanish (PBAOE FTL), marauders knights and PT's depending on CD status can all leap pull (You are very unlikely to clear the range of these abilities before your stun CC is down so LOS or being among friends becomes a priority) We spec slip away use it but get that shiv in to guarantee you have TA up.

Surgical probe - you can shiv every 6 seconds which generates a SP cast every six seconds against someone who can't put out burst you can fight and win hope your help arrives before theirs etc... (Rarely You'll find people it's viable against and if your in a high probability death escape testing may be worth it to you) and it great for running if they can't find their execution.

2) 1) Crouch/Explosive Probe 2) Grenade 3) Backstab Shiv OS or Carbine Burst crouch EP. As a healer you'll often spot that low life target that barely survived an EP Poison Dart rifle spam option can clear them up. If they are close to you BS Shiv often will. Or see a lower health cluster where adding some aoe damage nets a kill or lets your team kill. Random damge is poison dart going for kill is EP combos and BS shive combos. Don't forget rifle spam.

3) Kolt infusion is my goto button in an isolated 1v1 if TA is up to draw the interupt otherwise it doesn't get used. (Don't forget carbine burst for an AOE damage double hit, grenade to CB on a scrum pile).

I'm running a healing hybrid with lacerate but I find it best to stick with the dps/melee. I heal/dps depending on the situation. Keep KP on your self and look for healers and weak targets to finish off. Staying in the group makes it harder to be targeted and people won't know for sure if your a healer as easily, it also makes it easier for the rest of your group to assist you and see where you are. Much easier to come help the dude next to you then the guy 25m away that just got jumped on.

OP healing is all about those hots. That is the love you should be spreading most. I rarely use castables unless I need to burst heal someone so they don't die. If I need to do that more than once, it is typically because the player has decided that they suddenly can stop using defensive CDs, which means that they're going to die anyway.

When engaged, I don't use my CDs to get away unless it is to vanish. I will use them to throttle incoming damage so that my hots can have time to tick. I lead with debilitate, and flashbang second to trap them in a longer duration cc. I'll typically use 2 casts in fb duration then start kiting with snare.

One on one, few can kill me, but I do my best to drag them into friends. Tab key is the way most people acquire target, so ill get help by playing with that in mind. Jumping in the back screaming for help does nothing.

I'm hybrid, but will try to answer your questions from a healing perspective...

Flash bang works wonders! Hamstring / Evasion (i have evasion imperative specced for speed bonus). All in all, we are pretty good at getting away. I would advise against cloaking screen to get away. That timer should IMO only be used to set up a needed hidden strike.

First order of business make sure your allies have HOTs on them. Then if you feel DPS is needed feel free to help out. The good thing about the Op is we are very versatile, Shiv/BS/Cloaking Screen/Hidden Strike will still give you a decent melee burst to help an ally get a healer or ball carrier down. If you're on a ramp or at ranged cover/exp prove/snipe puts out decent DPS. And always orbital strike at turrets in civil war or doors in voidstar.

Yes. Stim boost should always be up, and surgical probe is a godsend. I find it incredibly fun having 1-2 people trying to take me down once I get below 30%.

I play hybrid medicine/concealment but I'll add in some thoughts anyways...

1. If the person is 100% and not leaving you alone any time soon, just get away from them. Ops are pretty good at kiting between sever tendon, debilitate, flash bang (and of course, healing on the go). Against classes with a gap closer (lolmostofthem), make sure you run out of their line of sight so they don't just re-jump you. If you can make some friends and queue with them with voip, ask for peels/help - it makes your life a lot easier. I like to save cloaking screen as a last resort skill if possible, make sure you dispel yourself of debuffs before using cloak screen to ensure you don't get popped out of stealth immediately after. If the person jumping you is low you can probably kite/whittle away their hp or just plain kill them.

2. Depends on your positioning, don't run up to melee if there is a swarm of enemies (grenade + ranged dot and just autoattacking actually helps more than it appears). If you really need a burst combo (like helping take down or singling out an enemy healer for example), get up close but make sure you have an escape plan ready. Don't forget to interrupt healing casts when you're in melee, I find this more helpful than whatever damage you output.

3. You are right, but honestly it depends on the situation. Assuming you are healing others… Kolto infusion does far more burst healing than surgical probe does, some times it is better to cast (if no one is going to interrupt you, you really need to keep a target alive, etc - rare occasions, but still worth casting in those situations). I find that spamming surgical probe is good on light to moderate damage but on heavy incoming damage you will fall behind due to global cooldown. In other words, prioritize accordingly.