Confirmed again: we have top DPS

flem

I know you complainers don't want to hear it, but Georg said this week at the guild summit:

Interesting perception is that if you give up defense for damage, this is really good. This is not entirely true though – as a tank, you are vulnerable against certain attacks and if you give up all your defense gear, you’re making yourself vulnerable to the highest damage classes in the game like Sentinel and Sniper. So you’ll be vulnerable to multiple classes. When we get into ranked PvP and players play more aggressively, you won’t be able to get away with getting rid of defense.
This isn't really news, since he said in the past that Sent/GS and their mirrors get about a 5% DPS advantage over other ACs that aren't all-DPS, but this particular statement comes in the PvP context as well.

Obviously the broken Sage/Sorc hybrid spec puts up insane numbers, but there's no way 1.2 isn't going to nerf that.

Edited by flem

the reason there are so many opinions running amuck about who has the better dps is because there is no way currently to measure dps.

gear checks are stupidly common. making this game no better than WoW is with the gearscore addon.

shhhhhhh! keep this a secret! wouldnt want word spreading about how awsome we are to get around. ill started getting focused even more than i already am lol

I hear ya, I just get to the fight not even picked a target and I have 5 new friends.

I DEMAND EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE EXPRESSED IN THE FORM OF MULTI-COLOURED PIE CHARTS OVER MANY, MANY, MANY, FLIP CHARTS!

...and one of those extendable pokey-stick things!

You forgot the public hearings and 2,000 page report.

I DEMAND EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE EXPRESSED IN THE FORM OF MULTI-COLOURED PIE CHARTS OVER MANY, MANY, MANY, FLIP CHARTS!

...and one of those extendable pokey-stick things!

just setup a powerpoint presentation with one of those extendable pokey stick things

Why did he mentioned Sentinel and Sniper?

Obviously Gunslingers are not top DPS classes...

LOL I agree that sniper is up there but GS needs to be brought up to par with them..... in order to be considered "TOP" there is an inequality between the two classes favoring sniper damage. Anyone that stands beside the "mirror" class claim needs to roll a GS or ****

Gunslingers need the offhand damage to hit, which requires accuracy to be on par. Sniper needs less accuracy so can stack more crit/surge/power.

exactly. Also since they have 2 handed gun, it's base damage is much higher and they can use off hand for stat booster only.

Even if GS stacks accuracy (and BM gear seems to lack it greately), offhand gun still has very low base accuracy so in practice we loose some of our damage potential.

As has been clearly stated in another thread at least, the GS is on par with the sniper as far as DPS. Ie, among the best in the game.

This only makes sense considering the GS gets no heal, that has to be offset by something - which can only be more damage output. If the GS or sniper were obviously at a disadvantage then only hard-core people for whom GS or sniper is the only choice would go with that choice instead of making it a valid choice for anyone who wants a fun class with the unique cover mechanic (I for one enjoy it - at first I was a bit "hmm" but now it seems totally natural.)