Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

"Clickers"

WNxAres

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been playing MMO's since before there were graphics and they cost $6 an hour to play. I have seen it all ( or at least most of it )

Bottom line, play in the way that works for you, and the more adamant someone is that their way is the only or the best way, the more likely wrong they are.

Do what works best for you.

As was said before, this game really isn’t that hard, you can click, you can keyboard, and you can be very successful either way.

The only people that are dead wrong here, are the ones that think their way is the only way.

Not the only way, just the better way.

I have been playing MMO's since before there were graphics and they cost $6 an hour to play. I have seen it all ( or at least most of it )

Bottom line, play in the way that works for you, and the more adamant someone is that their way is the only or the best way, the more likely wrong they are.

Do what works best for you.

As was said before, this game really isn’t that hard, you can click, you can keyboard, and you can be very successful either way.

The only people that are dead wrong here, are the ones that think their way is the only way.

My grandfather used the "hunt and peck" method of typing on a manual typewriter way back when... In Junior High (what's referred to as "middle school" now) I learned how to position my hands for 10 finger typing (yes, two thumbs + 8 fingers). Who was more efficient? Who finished letters faster on a typewriter? If you guessed me, you were right.

I am not telling people they shouldn't use clicking, if that's all they know, but I would strongly recommend moving to keybinding (it just takes practice, really). Once I did, a world of opportunities opened up to me and I won the lottery... (not really, but you understand). :D

Edited by Meldwyn

Not the only way, just the better way.

Your free to believe that, I know people that believe in UFO's too

I know fantastic PVPers well respected that click

I know others that keyboard

( shrug )

You are free to believe whatever you want to believe, but don’t expect us to put much stock in what you are saying.

The problem here is all ego, some folks think they can "win" this argument telling others what is best for them.

Laughing stock is all they are

Your free to believe that, I know people that believe in UFO's too

I know fantastic PVPers well respected that click

I know others that keyboard

( shrug )

You are free to believe whatever you want to believe, but don’t expect us to put much stock in what you are saying.

The problem here is all ego, some folks think they can "win" this argument telling others what is best for them.

Laughing stock is all they are

That's nice. I've come across the occasional (but few and far between) decent player that clicks as well. That doesn't mean it is as effective as keybinding.

Saying that you know fantastic players that use each method doesn't mean anything. The argument is that keybinding is more effective, so how about this. Go onto the rankings of ANY competitive RTS or MMO game. Survey the top 100 ranked players, and ask them whether they click or use keybinds. I think we all know what the results will be.

Saying "Clicking is just as good! I totally know a bunch of good clickers! lalalala" doesn't really do anything to support your case.

edit: Now, if you argument is that people should be allowed to play how they like, then fine. I completely agree with you. But claiming that clicking and binding are equal is simply false.

Edited by Samwiseee

Edit; the point of keybind is that you dont have to look at the keyboard. Stop spreading misinformation. The rest of what you said may apply at different frequencies based on a HUGE array of variables.

A Clicker doesnt need to look and think "which ability is out of cooldown?" or "where is my skill?", so for your side stop also spreading a clicker is looking which skill to do.

I used to be strictly a "clicker". After purchasing the Razer Nostromo gamepad, I'm sort of a hybrid of both worlds. I use most of my attacks on the keypad, and click on other abilities with mouse.

At first, I didn't like the game pad. But after using it for 2 days, I can't seem to play without it. :)

One advice I would give to you if you purchase the Nostromo, is use it in a position that feels comfortable for you. I believe its setup to have your fingers rest on a certain layout, but I just disregarded it.

Edited by PlayBDee

Not that I know them, it was at a huge Guild summit for WOW, one of the most respected and formidable PVPers in the game showed up and played and folks watched him, he was a clicker.

You can decide what is best for you, I can decide what is best for me, and others should decide what is best for them.

I happen to use skills on keybinding myself, but I am not so stupid as to think someone else that may play differently ( clicking ) might not do just as well.

The problem in this thread is all Ego, people that think they need to tell others how to play.

Its a joke, and fortunately reading through this thread, nearly everyone seems to already know it.

There are only a few that don’t seem to get it.

Play how you want to play and how works for you, and the more adamant someone else is about your playing their way, the more likely wrong they are.

Edited by Dayln

Not that I know them, it was at a huge Guild summit for WOW, one 0f the most respected and formidable PVPers in the game showed up and played and folks watched him, he was a clicker.

You can decide what is best for you, I can decide what is best for me, and others should decide what is best for them.

I happen to use skills on keybinding myself, but I am not so stupid as to think someone else that may play differently ( clicking ) might not do just as well.

The problem in this thread is all Ego, people that think they need to tell others how to play.

Its a joke, and fortunately reading through this thread, nearly everyone seems to already know it.

There are only a few that don’t seem to get it.

Play how you want to play and how works for you, and the more adamant someone else is about your playing their way, the more likely wrong they are.

I was a sponsored wow player and played in almost every tournament in the U.S. and outside of the U.S. I'm only stating that to show that I'm speaking for experience. You're right, occasionally a player that is successful in PVP while clicking emerges, but I can tell you that it rarely ever happens.

No, the problem in this thread is that people that click feel threatened and are trying to rationalize their playstyle as being just as effective. It is the very definition of cognitive dissonance. It's not as effective, and there is plenty of evidence supporting the claim, if not the obviousness of it in the first place.

Anyway, you once again missed my point. I don't care whether people switch to keybinds or click for the rest of their lives, but to come here and say that both methods are equally as effective is wrong.

Edited by Samwiseee

To say that any single method is the best way for every individual is wrong, that is why I will continue to rebut this ridiculous argument, I don’t care how much experience you say you have.

People are different, some will do better one way than another.

It is ok to try different ways, it is ok to suggest to people they try a different way.

But if you say one way is always better than another, for every person, you are wrong, obviously wrong, and I will continue to point that out.

I was a sponsored wow player and played in almost every tournament in the U.S. and outside of the U.S. I'm only stating that to show that I'm speaking for experience. You're right, occasionally a player that is successful in PVP while clicking emerges, but I can tell you that it rarely ever happens.

No, the problem in this thread is the people that click feel threatened and are trying to rationalize their playstyle as being just as effective. It is the very definition of cognitive dissonance. It's not as effective, and there is plenty of evidence supporting the claim, if not the obviousness of it in the first place.

Anyway, you once again missed my point. I don't care whether people switch to keybinds or click for the rest of their lives, but to come here and say that both methods are equally as effective is wrong.

It kinda goes both ways if you read some of the comments on the binders side.

That's why things ended up the way they did.

Binders kept repeatedly bashing clickers and calling them one and the other just for playing in a different way.

To say that any single method is the best way for every individual is wrong, that is why I will continue to rebut this ridiculous argument, I don’t care how much experience you say you have.

People are different, some will do better one way than another.

It is ok to try different ways, it is ok to suggest to people they try a different way.

But if you say one way is always better than another, for every person, you are wrong, obviously wrong, and I will continue to point that out.

When has running slower ever won anyone a race?

You can objectify what method is better or worse, easily, regardless of the person behind the character.

Edited by Samwiseee

No, the problem in this thread is that people that click feel threatened and are trying to rationalize their playstyle as being just as effective. It is the very definition of cognitive dissonance. It's not as effective, and there is plenty of evidence supporting the claim, if not the obviousness of it in the first place.

I have to agree with you. Key binding an 8 button mouse is MUCH more effective than clicking your toolbar.

But, on the complete other end of the spectrum..how would you define the better player? A "clicker" who is 40% as effective as a "keybinder"? 50%? Who knows?

But, it should serve to remind all keybinders that even though they may be more effective using their superior equipment, it by NO MEANS makes them an actual better player than those that choose to click.

Just saying (not just for you that I quoted)...keep it in mind if you ever feel that "superior feeling" when playing a game.

I have to agree with you. Key binding an 8 button mouse is MUCH more effective than clicking your toolbar.

But, on the complete other end of the spectrum..how would you define the better player? A "clicker" who is 40% as effective as a "keybinder"? 50%? Who knows?

But, it should serve to remind all keybinders that even though they may be more effective using their superior equipment, it by NO MEANS makes them an actual better player than those that choose to click.

Just saying (not just for you that I quoted)...keep it in mind if you ever feel that "superior feeling" when playing a game.

Completely agree, although there is no need to find out "how much better" you are. The argument I am supporting is that keybinding is better. By how much or how little is irrelevant. As long as it is better, those who wish to improve their gameplay will switch to keybinding.

When has running slower ever won you a race?

You can objectify what method is better or worse, easily, regardless of the person behind the character.

You're generalizing again.

Just because generally for most people clicking is slower doesn't mean it is for everyone.

Just because most people can't lift 50 kg with one hand doesn't mean nobody can.

It's harder and "inefficient" compared to lifting it with two hands, and most people would agree that it's not the way to go. But it's possible, and some people will put the extra effort into doing it.

That doesn't make them wrong in any way, inefficient maybe, but as long as they can lift that 50 kg it doesn't really matter.

And at that point, lifting those 50kg for that guy will indeed be harder to do with two hands.

When has running slower ever won you a race?

The only thing I object to, is your telling everyone that one way is better than another for everyone, I happen to know that is simply not true.

People are different, see things, relate to things, do things differently

I am opposed to everyone being told to become a clone, you have to play this way, you have to use skills in this order only, you have to do this and this and this the exact way I tell you too.

That isn’t enjoying a game, and it certainly is not playing a character well.

I certainly don’t accept your "my experience" argument, I have been playing MMO's longer than you most likely and "my experience" is quite a bit different than yours.

The only thing I ask, is that you suggest people try sometime, but don’t tell them that this is the best way for everyone because that is just garbage, and fortunately most people in this thread see that very well.

There are some classes that clickers like me can do well at during PvP, like a marksmanship sniper/gunslinger where they can just sit back and fire. But others that are 1v1-oriented like a scoundrel/marauder, forget about it. Was wondering why I was always getting destroyed during pvp as I'm not a regular mmo/pvp'er, then I found out why: I'm a clicker and to try to 1v1 vs a half-competent keybinder is almost futile. They'll just do what I call "The lightsaber chicken-dance" where they'll run circles around you with their sabers flailing about, spamming the basic slash ability until you die.

I do wish they'd bring in an auto-targeting system to combat the 'chicken-dancers'. But someone brought that up during the guild summit and almost everyone said "No" to that. The only way to combat it is to slow them down with the 'slow ability' that some have. With my rage-spec'd juggernaught, I can use the slowing ability(don't know the name), then use 'force-crush' to slow them down even more. Then I can actually do a little 1v1. Other than that, keybinders rule PvP and there's little anyone can do about it.

But like people been saying since the first page, it's a personal preference. I'm not going to bind keys, and as a result will have deal with getting totally ***** sometimes during PvP.

Edited by GiovanniD

The only thing I object to, is your telling everyone that one way is better than another for everyone, I happen to know that is simply not true.

I am opposed to everyone being told to become a clone, you have to play this way, you have to use skills in this order only, you have to do this and this and this the exact way I tell you too.

I certainly don’t accept your "my experience" argument, I have been playing MMO's longer than you most likely and "my experience" is quite a bit different than yours.

The only thing I ask, is that you suggest people try sometime, but don’t tell them that this is the best way for everyone because that is just garbage, and fortunately most people in this thread see that very well.

Would you agree that the "hunt and peck" method of typing is less effective than having all fingers and thumbs available to type (no matter how good at hunting and pecking someone is)?

Too true. I am in my mid-forties and have been "clicking" longer than some players have been breathing. I am just an old dog...no new tricks for me. :(

A Clicker doesnt need to look and think "which ability is out of cooldown?" or "where is my skill?", so for your side stop also spreading a clicker is looking which skill to do.

So you could play your character with your eyes closed? 100% of the time, always hitting the skills. While moving. and turning. I'm still curious to hear how you turn your character 180*.

I'd be willing to bet you exercise more muscles in your wrist and fingers by moving your mouse and clicking a skill, then just pressing a button where your hand already is placed.

Edited by Stupiddrummer

There are some classes that clickers like me can do well at during PvP, like a marksmanship sniper/gunslinger where they can just sit back and fire. But others that are 1v1-oriented like a scoundrel/marauder, forget about it. Was wondering why I was always getting destroyed during pvp as I'm not a regular mmo/pvp'er, then I found out why: I'm a clicker and to try to 1v1 vs a half-competent keybinder is almost futile. They'll just do what I call "The lightsaber chicken-dance" where they'll run circles around you with their sabers flailing about, spamming the basic slash ability until you die.

I do wish they'd bring in an auto-targeting system to combat the 'chicken-dancers'. But someone brought that up during the guild summit and almost everyone said "No" to that. The only way to combat it is to slow them down with the 'slow ability' that some have. With my rage-spec'd juggernaught, I can use the slowing ability(don't know the name), then use 'force-crush' to slow them down even more. Then I can actually do a little 1v1. Other than that, keybinders rule PvP and there's little anyone can do about it.

Gotta agree 10000% (100 just ain't enough), Darn those melee toons need some binding!

Too true. I am in my mid-forties and have been "clicking" longer than some players have been breathing. I am just an old dog...no new tricks for me. :(

I beg to differ, I am 46 and began as a clicker with my son (we played WoW together). Not only did I research and learn keybinding, but expanded to a g13 and g700 mouse and am a lot better now than ever before. You can learn new tricks.

Just ask my son! He pushed and pushed... and boom, I am now teaching classes world-wide on keybinding and mouse turning... (not really) :D

Edited by Meldwyn

You're generalizing again.

Just because generally for most people clicking is slower doesn't mean it is for everyone.

Just because most people can't lift 50 kg with one hand doesn't mean nobody can.

It's harder and "inefficient" compared to lifting it with two hands, and most people would agree that it's not the way to go. But it's possible, and some people will put the extra effort into doing it.

That doesn't make them wrong in any way, inefficient maybe, but as long as they can lift that 50 kg it doesn't really matter.

And at that point, lifting those 50kg for that guy will indeed be harder to do with two hands.

Sure. I am generalizing when I say that keybinding is better than clicking. I don't deny that.

Sure, someone with poor motor skills and lackluster hand-eye coordination may actually play worse with keybinds than by clicking. I understand your argument. However, that doesn't mean that keybinding is not the best method, it simply means they were not able to execute it.

I am simply saying that keybinding IS faster than clicking. Might it be worse for SOME people? Sure. But generally speaking, as you pointed out, keybinding is objectively better.

I beg to differ, I am 46 and began as a clicker with my son (we played WoW together). Not only did I research and learn keybinding, but expanded to a g13 and g700 mouse and am a lot better now than ever before. You can learn new tricks.

Just ask my son! He pushed and pushed... and boom, I am now teaching classes world-wide on keybinding and mouse turning... (not really) :D

But...but...i don't like broccoli...I will DIE if you make me eat it...I swear! :mad: