Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Retroactive Legacy Exp?!?

tselliott

Are current characters going to get credit for there progress so far? Also, since I certaily dont want to delete one to take advantage of the new race/class combos available through legacy levels, is there going to be a way to change current characters as new options become available?

EDIT:What I meant is that it would have been better to just have just focused on only one character until the Legacy is unlocked because nothing before that counts for anything toward it. I am hoping 1.2 will possibly have retroactive legacy exp. and options to change existing characters as a result of upcoming additions to the legacy feature. Sorry, didn't explain my question very well.

Edited by tselliott

Are current characters going to get credit for there progress so far? Also, since I certaily dont want to delete one to take advantage of the new race/class combos available through legacy levels, is there going to be a way to change current characters as new options become available?

It specifically tells you that any legacy xp accrued now will go towards perks they open in the future.

You'll be able to use all the stuff that isn't creation specific, ie you won't be able to magically change from a Human to a Twilek.

What I meant is that it would have been better to just have just focused on only one character until the Legacy is unlocked because nothing before that counts for anything toward it. I am hoping 1.2 will possibly have retroactive legacy exp. and options to change existing characters as a result of upcoming additions to the legacy feature. Sorry, didn't explain my question very well.

I doubt it.

If you leveled a bunch of alts to 20-25 or something before finally unlocking legacy on one, previous time spent isn't going to count for anything I'm assuming.

Fortunately you don't really gain much legacy in that period anyway so it isn't a big deal

What I meant is that it would have been better to just have just focused on only one character until the Legacy is unlocked because nothing before that counts for anything toward it. I am hoping 1.2 will possibly have retroactive legacy exp. and options to change existing characters as a result of upcoming additions to the legacy feature. Sorry, didn't explain my question very well.

All experience earned on any character from Early Access to the day 1.2 goes live (From the point you STARTED your legacy) will count towards what you can unlock when Legacy goes live in 1.2.

And they said during the guild summit, there will be no options to change existing characters to take advantage of new customizations/playable races. They specifically said you will have to start a new character to take advantage of them.

I doubt they will add "retroactive Legacy XP", or options to change existing characters.

All experience earned on any character from Early Access to the day 1.2 goes live (From the point you STARTED your legacy) will count towards what you can unlock when Legacy goes live in 1.2.

And they said during the guild summit, there will be no options to change existing characters to take advantage of new customizations/playable races. They specifically said you will have to start a new character to take advantage of them.

Thank you... very disappointing.

I don't understand what you guys mean by "retroactive legacy xp". Your account gains legacy xp, not a character. I've deleted alts and my total legacy xp didn't go down, that means they didn't subtract the ammount of legacy xp the alt I deleted made during his lifetime.

If your account is lvl 10 legacy then every character you make on the server is at lvl 10 legacy.

If you have a lvl 50 Pureblood Sith Warrior and a lvl 15 Human Jedi Knight they're not going to let you change that lvl 15 Jedi Knight into a Pureblood Sith, you'd have to create a new lvl 1 Pureblood Sith and level it.

If i have a lvl 50 Rattataki Sorcerer and warrior, of whatever race/level, Rattataki then becomes an available race option for warrior that wasnt previously availble. I should not have to roll a new warrior to take advantage of an option that I earn through legacy. Also as the sytem is currently, if you have 3 level 25 characters and a fourth that completes act 1 nothing any other character had previously done counts for anything toward the legacy and is, in limited legacy terms anyway, a waste of time. Edited by tselliott

If i have a lvl 50 Rattataki Sorcerer and warrior, of whatever level, Rattataki then becomes an available race option for warrior that wasnt previously availble. I should not have to roll a new warrior to take advantage of an option that I earn through legacy.

Why not? Because you don't feel like it? What does it matter anyways. Species choice is purely cosmetic.

nothing any other character had previously done counts for anything toward the legacy

Not true. Every character you have played on that server has been earning legaxy XP since you started playing it. Legaqcy XP doesn't start at the end of Act I - it starts at level 1.

Not true. Every character you have played on that server has been earning legaxy XP since you started playing it. Legaqcy XP doesn't start at the end of Act I - it starts at level 1.

Not when the characters are already in the 20's before the legacy is unlocked on a character, then the XP previously earned on the other already existing characters were never accruing Legacy XP until it was unlocked.

Ok, I get what you mean. And no, you don't start earning legacy until you've unlocked it at the end of the 1st act on any character. I don't particularly care if it's retroactive since it scales in comparision just like regular xp does so what you're missing is peanuts. I can see what you mean, but sadly it won't be, or at least I don't think it will be. That is pure speculation on my part. My suggestion would be to pick ONE character and get them to level to unlock your Legacy and then play your alts if you're that concerned.

to reply to the OP,

we knew in December that Legacy did not unlock until your class story hit Act 2 around level 30.

EVERYONE knew well in advance that if you cared about "max" Legacy xp, then you should refrain from taking alts past level 2 or whatever until you got your Legacy.

Retroactive legacy xp? that's the silliest thing i've ever heard of.

so...i'm level 50 and have yet to do a Warzone. Am i going to get Retroactive Valor to level 60 when i complete my first warzone?

now i remember why i rarely visit the forums. because it's filled with topics like this.

are you kidding me? you don't even have a Legacy bar until you get your legacy at Act 2

you don't earn legacy xp until you unlock it. plain and simple.

What I found most interesting was regarding transfers, as they said the highest legacy will take priority. Theoretically, one could spread a single Legacy to 40 servers? Not that there would be any point and likely an immense cost of paid transfers (if it's allowed like that), but basically I intend to utilize this to get the benefits on two servers...even though the option is still probably several months away.

• 2 weeks later...
to reply to the OP,

we knew in December that Legacy did not unlock until your class story hit Act 2 around level 30.

EVERYONE knew well in advance that if you cared about "max" Legacy xp, then you should refrain from taking alts past level 2 or whatever until you got your Legacy.

Obviously not EVERYONE knew well in advance about how legacy experience would be gained. See the OP, plus at least one previous poster in this very thread who explained legacy experience incorrectly. Where was the information about legacy experience available? In game? In the instructions manual? One of the main drop-down menus on the website? I didn't find out about it until I searched the forums, which I would hardly expect every player to do.

Retroactive legacy xp? that's the silliest thing i've ever heard of.

I don't find the idea of retroactive legacy experience silly at all. Legacy is supposed to reward people who gain lots of experience in the game, whether they're playing one character constantly or playing multiple characters. I understand them not wanting to give players the benefit of legacy until they've reached a certain milestone in the game, but once that's done, why not give legacy experience for all the experience earned with other characters? It's like saying "We want to encourage you to start alts, but NOT until you've finished chapter 1 with your first character." What's so special about chapter 1 that they'd essentially punish you for not completing it with one character before starting an alt? Maybe because PVP is better when people get to high level faster? Still, it's a bit arbitrary. Retroactive legacy experience would solve that.

so...i'm level 50 and have yet to do a Warzone. Am i going to get Retroactive Valor to level 60 when i complete my first warzone?

The comparison to Valor sounds a bit like trolling, but in case you really need an explanation: Obviously you wouldn't gain retroactive Valor, because you've only completed one warzone. If you haven't completed warzones previously, there's nothing retroactive to reward. What if you could do warzones, but couldn't gain Valor for it until you reached level 50? What would be the point of doing warzones before reaching level 50, then? Well, maybe you think they're fun, plus they give other rewards. But it would be nice if all that time you spent in warzones paid off once you reached level 50 by giving you retroactive Valor so you wouldn't have to start with nothing. That would be the analogy. At present, the Valor system is nothing like Legacy, because you don't have the option to do warzones before you're allowed to earn Valor.

now i remember why i rarely visit the forums. because it's filled with topics like this.

Yes, please view this topic as reason to visit the forums even more rarely, unless you have something worthwhile to contribute.

Ok, I get what you mean. And no, you don't start earning legacy until you've unlocked it at the end of the 1st act on any character. I don't particularly care if it's retroactive since it scales in comparision just like regular xp does so what you're missing is peanuts. I can see what you mean, but sadly it won't be, or at least I don't think it will be. That is pure speculation on my part. My suggestion would be to pick ONE character and get them to level to unlock your Legacy and then play your alts if you're that concerned.

This is interesting, if the legacy experience earned before ~level 30 is so small. Is there somewhere we can see just how small? Like, does leveling an alt from 1-30 give you the same legacy experience as, say, leveling your main from 49-50 or something? If so, that probably would make retroactive legacy experience less important.

I got an idea what would happen if someone created a toon leveled to 10 then deleted that toon and did it again and again. This is of course after unlocking Legacy xp.

Would the LXP gained also be deleted? If true what would happen if i had 2 50s and the rest of my slots filled with chars in the 20s to 30s If i deleted one of those toons to use the new CREATION options would all the LXP gained with that toon i deleted also be lost?

Because of this uncertainty I have not logged in for over a month awaiting 1.2 release..

No, Legacy XP and rewards earned on deleted characters will stay tied to the server even if you later delete them.

For the record, Legacy XP scales down with level; that is, the higher level you are, the smaller percentage of your normal XP is converted to legacy XP. However, since you are gaining more XP overall at higher levels, it balances out for the most part. Doing classes that are well above your level will yield an above average amount of Legacy XP, and the inverse is true of quests below your level (Although completing a quest that is greyed out is a guaranteed 1 Legacy XP. The Legacy XP rewards from killing stuff in space combat are also fixed, irregardless of your level)

Edited by KorinHyvek

We knew all about Legacy 6 months ago.

if you wanted max legacy, you didn't play alts until your first char had obtained and unlocked legacy.

everyone who visited the forums before october knew all about it. those that didn't, well, you are the people i was selling purple color crystals to for 600k a pop 2 weeks ago since you can't be bothered to read patch notes.

so, thanks!

Edited by Holinyx

This is a little silly.

First of all, it's not hard to get a character through Act I and start your legacy.

Secondly, you don't get very much legacy experience at all from doing low level quests. I mean, I rolled my first alt around legacy level 10 and getting him to 20, if it moved my legacy bar at all I didn't notice it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.