The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Free transfers in the future?

Drakinor

Dear Customer Service,

I have a game play issue that is very important to me. Instead of not answering my question and locking my thread. Please provide me with information.

I have spent over 8 days of game play time leveling a character to 50, and another 7 on the same server for a 48 hopeing population would increase (server is Whitebeam Run). Plus I have a level 25, and a 17 on the same server. That is about 480 hours of game time played waiting for the server to populate over the last 2 months.

I really want to experience the 50+ content I am paying for. I cannot get into War Zones without waiting for hours. Also, Finding groups to explore high level content with is nearly impossible.

Besides grinding daily quests I am hardly able to take advantage of the designed game play.

The solution to my issue would be to transfer my character to another more populated server.

In the community Q&A from 2/10/12 is says:

"Shotgun-clavy: When are character transfers going to become available? And are server transfers a real possibility?

Daniel Erickson: Character transfers between servers are definitely going to be available in the future and we’ll announce details as soon as we have firm dates."

Is there any update to this? Other answers in that same session stated that there are changes coming in 1.2, however the answer in regards to transfers seems to be vague and not informative enough. Do you really have to have a firm date to state if the issue is being worked on? Does your company have the skills and resources necessary to pull this off?

I would like to know if this is a plan that they are actively working on so that I may be able to transfer my character soon and than be able to continue playing the game, or if this is merely an idea which may be months or even years away from happening.

At this moment I am unable to play your game as designed and would appreciate an answer since this is indeed a question regarding a huge game play issue for me.

I have been playing since early access.

My first character I was only able to get to 10 and than was subjected to 1-2 hours waits to get into the original server.

So I rolled on a server that was opened after early release so I could play without waiting 1-2 hours to get on.

How was I supposed to see the future that they made way too many servers and that mine was the one that would be one of the several that would not receive significant population?

Please do not tell me to take another month to grind another character to 50 on another server? Ouch...that is not very much fun. And I should just throw away my level 15 legacy status, my valor, my 1,000,000 credits?, My gear?

I would like to pick another server....but would like a character transfer.

5 business days is enough time to tell us if the plan is in the works or just an idea.

Anyway we could get an answer?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They said they are working on a character transfer. But It will apparently not come soon enough. I am in a similar situation as you. I had to reroll in another server :(

What was said is this: "Character transfers between servers are definitely going to be available in the future and we’ll announce details as soon as we have firm dates."

That does not mean they are working on it. That means they have approved the idea and nothing else.

I have been asking for an answer if they are actually working on it and no one from Bioware will tell me the truth. Instead they have locked my thread and sent me to this 83 page monster.

This question really does need SOME kind of a Dev answer. At this point, they really should be able to give a release date if they are working on it; it's not THAT complicated of a procedure to code, and it's something that this community has been consistantly vocal about wanting since day 1.

The lack of an answer indicates to me that they have not even started working on it.

At this point I am not even certain that they actually have enough of us to worry about it. Do you think they really care if a spattering of low population server people quit their subscription?

However when I canceled my sub they sent an email asking to take a survey.

Perhaps everyone should cancel their subscriptions, take the survey and than re-subscribe if they want to keep playing. I think that would send a big message.

This is what was sent:

"We value you as a customer and we're sorry to see you go. Your opinion is very important to us, as we are committed to continually improving the game and addressing your concerns. We'd appreciate it if you would take a short survey and tell us about your experience and let us know what we can do to bring you back into the game.

Remember, your account and any characters you have created will not be deleted. We hope to see you back in the game soon.

Sincerely,

The Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Community Team"

Anyway, I have asked this on twitter as well but I am curious if anyone knows if they plan to allow some free server transfers from some of the full servers to the newer, lower pop ones. I for one (and I am sure others have this issue) ran into the problem of making a character on one of the "Unofficial Oceanic Servers" and have over an hour que last night. I am not QQing, I have launched many MMO's and ques are to be expected. My concern isnt ques right now, but post launch. I think it would be a great thing to allow these transfers from full servers to low/standard pop to allow less ques and more evenly distributed players.

Does anyone else find it ironic that this thread got necro'd? People whining nonstop about how dead their server is... well look up... posts like this are why.

I'd much rather Do-away with the East/West divide, merge servers in brackets of 10 so;

Group 1 Merge (PvE):

Sedyn Kyne

Telos Restoration Project

The Defenestrator

Zez-Kai Ell

Crevasse City

Firaxan Shark

Keetael

Ki-Ta Kren

Master Dorak

Nathema

Group 1 Merge (PvP)

Rwookrrorro

Thendys Noori

Cho Mai

Gardens of Talla

The Deadweight

Firkrann Crystal

Belgoth's Beacon

Terentatek

Bondar Crystal

Sword of Ajunta Pall

That brings us down to 105 NA Servers.

Group 1 Merge (RP-PvE)*

Kath Hound

Shien

Sanctum of the Exalted

Rubat Crystal

Lord Ieldis

*There are less Role-Playing servers than PvE/PvP, so you'd merge less. I'm not sure merging is really an option in their case, because Roleplayers have strict rules (Names, etc.)

That leaves us with 101 NA Servers.

Group 2 (PvE)

Axial Park

Anturi Reach

Hanharr

Eidolon Security

Fort Garnik

Krayiss Obelisk

The Courageous

Whitebeam Run

Colonel Tobin

Khoonda Militia

Group 2 (PvP)

Hedarr Soongh

Vulkar Highway

Kinrath Spider

Davik's Estate

Veela

Naddist Rebels

The Twin Spears

Saber of Exar Kun

Prophecy of the Five

Mandalore the Indomitable

That brings us down to 83 NA Servers. That's fine I think. You lose 40 servers. Trim a lot of fat.

Funny how it developed.

At first people wanted to transfer from overpopulated servers to low ones.

And now quite the opposite.

It's not funny, it's dumb business decisions made by people listening to a vocal minority, which has left them with a bleeding of subs and a few looky lous' who'll sub for a month, get bored and quit - due to low pops.

I would love to transfer off Helm of Graush (Republic) because that side is pretty dead. Sure the server may be considered "Heavy" at times, but that is with 270+ Empire in fleet and only 85 Republic in fleet.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I would rather wait a 30min queue to join a server where I know a lot of people will be playing the same content as me, can ind instance groups, can participate in a guild with more than 11 people (my guild went from 40 people on at a time to 11 :(), and people actually buy and sell things on the GTN, than not have a queue.

I see a lot of ppl asking if the transfers will be possible and all, but i have not seen anyone asking this ( or at least haven't gone through all the pages to see the specific question to be fair) : Will they allow transfers between EU and US? I mean it's the same client right?In SWG (star wars galaxies) they did allow transfers between EU and US . On WoW it was impossible because the game was using different Clients for US and EU respectively.But what about Swtor?What do you think guys? Anybody heard some news or at least some Rumors about US to EU (and vice versa) transfers? Edited by TheForbiddenOne

Yah.. When I first started playing I saw the queues and thought.. wow. I'm not waiting to play a game I pay a sub for jeez...

BUT.. now I'm stuck on The Razor server which is dead 80% of the time. I've heard some people say they like this.. but, I don't see the advantage of spamming the fleet channel for hours trying to get a grp going. etc.etc. When you've spent all this time to get to 50 you'd don't wanna space-bar your way thru the same boring quest babble just to play on a more populated server. At this point I've cancelled my sub and I might wait till Bioware gets it together.. who knows.

PLEASE HELP ME GET OFF THIS DEAD SERVER!

The problem with transfers would be legacy level. While it is not very important right now it may become before too long...

There would have to be a way to transfer a legacy from one server to another as well.

This is what I came here to post.

There's a few ways they could handle it.

1. You transfer your entire server roster of characters to another server, with the legacy and all, and continue as normal on the new server.

2. You transfer one character to another server, they retain the old legacy name and level, then getting exp increases this legacy as normal (and the old one with the same name continues to exist on the server you transferred from)

3. (Probably most desirable). You transfer a character to a new server, on login you are asked to name your legacy, so you get a name change if you want. A new legacy is created with that name but with any exp you earned on the old server added to it.

Though honestly the whole thing could be solved in one shot by allowing legacy exp earned on any server to apply to all legacies. Have your legacy level (but not name) be account bound rather than server bound. Would also keep people from feeling like they're losing too much progress if/when they make characters on other servers.