It's time to end the grass/snow days...

pmurie

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, and in my case I never use the maps so I don't have the slightest clue which is east and which is west, but I know snow grass easily.

This is the same reason I prefer left/right if there aren't landmarks. I know how to tell east west but I have to waste time opening my map.

Why do you open your map?

I have a minimap open all the time which doesn't rotate. West is when the arrow in the middle (my char) faces to the left and east is when it faces to the right.

It takes me a split second to see which way I'm facing.

Why do you open your map?

I have a minimap open all the time which doesn't rotate. West is when the arrow in the middle (my char) faces to the left and east is when it faces to the right.

It takes me a split second to see which way I'm facing.

But thats half the point of it all... As I mentioned earlier, map and especially minimap layouts are not standard from one game to another. So I don't know which are good and which arent fixed.

So again, with games being made differently, the spawn point is always a fixed point and left/right based on that is good in ANY game.

But again, all three options do work, I just honestly believe left/right is most intuitive with common sense. Granted that's many cases a luxury. ;)

Edited by MartyrLXXVII

Ok, and in my case I never use the maps so I don't have the slightest clue which is east and which is west, but I know snow grass easily.

This is the same reason I prefer left/right if there aren't landmarks. I know how to tell east west but I have to waste time opening my map.

I've been in so many Civil Wars that the minute details are lost to me. I have my camera zoomed out at almost max distance (which many people don't know you have to adjust through the settings menu, not just mouse wheel behind a character). Suffice to say that distance is more than ample to immediately show where "snow" and "grass" are even if I know cardinal directions on the map...assuming the "top" of the map is north.

East, west, snow, grass, port, starboard....all it takes is one or two games at most to get familiar with the map. Doesn't matter what you call the sides so long as there is a basic understanding of what each side "means". That may be the primary reason people just call out snow, grass, mid.

But thats half the point of it all... As I mentioned earlier, map and especially minimal layouts are not standard from one game to another. So I don't know which are good and which arent fixed.

So again, with games being made differently, the spawn point is always a fixed point and left/right based on that is good in ANY game.

But again, all three options do work, I just honestly believe left/right is most intuitive with common sense. Granted that's many cases a luxury. ;)

Unless a map rotates, if there is nothing showing which way is north assume it's the top.

And west is always 90 degrees counter-clockwise from that, east being 90 degrees clockwise from north.

If the minimap rotated and you had to bring up the main map every time I would agree that left / right was better... but that's not the case.

:edit:

On a general note, I'm 61 valor and have yet to see a single person on my server call snow or grass.

Sadly we do have a mixture of left / right and east / west though.

Edited by Jestunhi

I've been in so many Civil Wars that the minute details are lost to me. I have my camera zoomed out at almost max distance (which many people don't know you have to adjust through the settings menu, not just mouse wheel behind a character). Suffice to say that distance is more than ample to immediately show where "snow" and "grass" are even if I know cardinal directions on the map...assuming the "top" of the map is north.

East, west, snow, grass, port, starboard....all it takes is one or two games at most to get familiar with the map. Doesn't matter what you call the sides so long as there is a basic understanding of what each side "means". That may be the primary reason people just call out snow, grass, mid.

You misunderstand what I was saying. I know the map like the back of my hand, but I learned it without determining the cardinal directions, so to know those aspects I have to look at the map. Otherwise, snow/grass or even left/right, I see the msg and I'm moving no delay at all.

It how I play I learn the maps, mmo or dps, but rarely use the maps.

You misunderstand what I was saying. I know the map like the back of my hand, but I learned it without determining the cardinal directions, so to know those aspects I have to look at the map. Otherwise, snow/grass or even left/right, I see the msg and I'm moving no delay at all.

It how I play I learn the maps, mmo or dps, but rarely use the maps.

How can you memorize which side "snow" is on but be unable to memorize which side "east" is on?

The only difference is the word which you are memorizing.

Unless a map rotates, if there is nothing showing which way is north assume it's the top.

And west is always 90 degrees counter-clockwise from that, east being 90 degrees clockwise from north.

If the minimap rotated and you had to bring up the main map every time I would agree that left / right was better... but that's not the case.

:edit:

On a general note, I'm 61 valor and have yet to see a single person on my server call snow or grass.

Sadly we do have a mixture of left / right and east / west though.

It's not the case with -this- game... Sorry for playing with the same standard in every game I play.

To go with your edit. I have only seen grass/snow in ald and left/right in vs, and they worked perfectly.

How can you memorize which side "snow" is on but be unable to memorize which side "east" is on?

The only difference is the word which you are memorizing.

What do you not understand about I HAVE NEVER LOOKED AT THE BLOODY MAP... So I don't have a clue about its orientation.

Can I be any more clear?

I never use maps in any game because it takes time and minimaps designs are always Differnt, so they are unreliable from one game to another.

Of the servers that I play on only Swiftsure seems to use snow/grass. I'm in the left/right camp, it works on every map as well. Left Right is always in relation to primary direction of travel just like clock directions- not that hard and actually a pretty standardized system in the analog world.

What do you not understand about I HAVE NEVER LOOKED AT THE BLOODY MAP... So I don't have a clue about its orientation.

Can I be any more clear?

I never use maps in any game because it takes time and minimaps designs are always Differnt, so they are unreliable from one game to another.

If you can remember which side "snow" is without looking at the map then with minimal effort you could do the same with "east". The map would only need to be looked at while you are memorizing it - how long did it take you to remember where "snow" is?

What do you currently do if someone calls "inc east", sit there and ignore them? Ask them about the weather (whether it's snowy where they are)?

You don't have to use east / west, but if you claim to be able to memorize a word & the location it's linked to without checking the minimap each time then you could do the same for east / west and at least be able to react to it in the future.

If you can remember which side "snow" is without looking at the map then with minimal effort you could do the same with "east". The map would only need to be looked at while you are memorizing it - how long did it take you to remember where "snow" is?

What do you currently do if someone calls "inc east", sit there and ignore them? Ask them about the weather (whether it's snowy where they are)?

You don't have to use east / west, but if you claim to be able to memorize a word & the location it's linked to without checking the minimap each time then you could do the same for east / west and at least be able to react to it in the future.

Are you dense or what? Yes I could very well know. But that requires using the map at any point in time to get the orientation and leaned that orientation.

I rather just play instead of looking that stupid map though because I know I don't have to learn the orientation because other systems work.

I have literally never looked at the map of ald with any thought, I see it every time it loads and all but never considered east west. Right now, being on my phone at work (gotta love government jobs) I can't tell you which is snow and which is grass because I don't know if imp face north or south out of the spawn.

And guess what, without even knowing this orientation I've never gotten lost, imagine that.

Yes I can learn east west, but why should i when other options work without having to put any effort into at all. As imp, snow is left and grass is right, that I can tell you without a thought but I don't have the extra data required to tell you east west, so less intuitive.

And as I also said in an earlier post, I have yet to see someone say 'inc east/west' on any of the maps. Only snow/grass for ald and left/right for vs. Never seen anyone use a direction in hutball, probably because 90% of imp suck at it on my server.

Edited by MartyrLXXVII

Are you dense or what? Yes I could very well know. But that requires using the map at any point in time to get the orientation and leaned that orientation.

I rather just play instead of looking that stupid map though because I know I don't have to learn the orientation because other systems work.

I have literally never looked at the map of ald with any thought, I see it every time it loads and all but never considered east west. Right now, being on my phone at work (gotta love government jobs) I can't tell you which is snow and which is grass because I don't know if imp face north or south out of the spawn.

And guess what, without even knowing this orientation I've never gotten lost, imagine that.

Yes I can learn east west, but why should i when other options work without having to put any effort into at all. As imp, snow is left and grass is right, that I can tell you without a thought but I don't have the extra data required to tell you east west, so less intuitive.

And as I also said in an earlier post, I have yet to see someone say 'inc east/west' on any of the maps. Only snow/grass for ald and left/right for vs. Never seen anyone use a direction in hutball, probably because 90% of imp suck at it on my server.

And if / when someone does eventually call "inc east", what will you do?

I understand that you have not so far looked at the map. At no point have I disputed that.

How long did it take you to remember where "snow" is? It would take no longer to learn where "east" is. If you can find "snow" without looking at the map once you memorize it then the same should be true of "east". So you wouldn't need to use the map once you've memorized it.

In fact, you don't even need to remember where "east" is, just that "east" = "grass" (or "snow")

OK.

People who use snow / grass.

Lets say you are standing in the middle, you have been fighting and changing direction but now no one is coming from either spawn so the only way to see which way is which is by looking at your minimap.

Now, someone calls "6 inc snow!!!!!!".

Please describe how you go from not knowing which direction you are facing to running towards "snow"?

If you are standing at middle and you need to know which side to go to for incs then you are 3 capping and pretty much have already won. If you have mid and a side it is pretty obvious whatever they use for the side (left/snow/west) callout. The only time the callouts are necessary between the sides is if you have both sides. If you are already at a side you know the situation, thus it is only necessary to know between the two when you are spawning.

And if / when someone does eventually call "inc east", what will you do?

I understand that you have not so far looked at the map. At no point have I disputed that.

How long did it take you to remember where "snow" is? It would take no longer to learn where "east" is. If you can find "snow" without looking at the map once you memorize it then the same should be true of "east". So you wouldn't need to use the map once you've memorized it.

In fact, you don't even need to remember where "east" is, just that "east" = "grass" (or "snow")

If someone calls 'inc east' and in need to respond then ill have to look at my map. If I pay attention to it enough I will have it memorized, yes. But its still extra data and extra time remembering as I memorize it.

Why waste that time at all ever when left/right and, in this case, snow/grass work just as well more intuitively.

See my point is you have to go to extra lengths to get east/west memorized, I didn't have to put any effort into the other two options.

Imagine I'm back as a fresh cut noob and wanted to use east/west. I'll learn it quickly, but those first few calls are gonna be, '****, where am I? *minimap look* ****, does this rotate? *open map* oh, east. "Inc east". Other option, '****, where am I? Ran left out of spawn, there is snow all over, "inc left/snow"

Intuitive.

If it takes you 5 to 10 seconds to figure out what that means and you've played civil war as much as you say you have you're just slow or have no sense of direction. With reaction time like that I'm surprised you even like to pvp.

QFT. I am not a pvp God, and I comprehend the difference between grass and snow, east and west, or left and right with relative quickness.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.