Friends of STAR WARS: The Old Republic

CourtneyWoods

Say I refer someone, will they be able to download and install the client BEFORE starting the 7-day timer? My bro would like to download it starting today, but not start the timer until Friday.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly suggest the trialists be raised to at least the 2nd world, and black talon, so they may experience the base content of the game. even get farmed by some 49 tweakers in pvp..

Red machine heroic or whatever its called, is not staying power material...

It is raised to second world and black talon, the 3 places you can go are starting worlds , capital worlds (dromund kaas, Coruscant) it also says you will beable to play the first flashpoint which is blacktalon or Esseles.

Not even going to bother inviting my friends as there's no incentive to do so for me. So I have to do the work for BioWare to reap the rewards?

Now if BW were to offer a free month of play to me for every one of my friends that would try and then subscribe, it would be a different story. ;)

More than likely it'll be "referrer receives X when referee subscribes and pays for 1 month"

What usually happens.

No m8 you are getting Bioware confused with Blizzard, in WOW you get a free month, same with Rift but you have to remember they value and respect their subscribers.

Not even going to bother inviting my friends as there's no incentive to do so for me. So I have to do the work for BioWare to reap the rewards?

Now if BW were to offer a free month of play to me for every one of my friends that would try and then subscribe, it would be a different story. ;)

So why should BioWare be *forced* to give you something for simply clicking on a referral link? Maybe an extra character title, or something vanity related, sure, but is it really that critical that they must give you something in order for your friends to play? How about the ability to give your friends a chance to play so that you guys can form a guild? Is that not enough of a reward?

To go back to the original topic at hand: Did they send out e-mails to everyone who bought, pre-ordered, subscribed, etc.? One of my guildies has received it, but I have not. I'm not heartbroken if I didn't, mind you, but it would be nice to pass out some trials and help build the guild a little more as it were.

So why should BioWare be *forced* to give you something for simply clicking on a referral link? Maybe an extra character title, or something vanity related, sure, but is it really that critical that they must give you something in order for your friends to play? How about the ability to give your friends a chance to play so that you guys can form a guild? Is that not enough of a reward?

When you get a job and start working with real customers you will understand what incentives and customer relations are all about, until then just keep talking.

When you get a job and start working with real customers you will understand what incentives and customer relations are all about, until then just keep talking.

Exactly. If BioWare intends for me to act as a referral and entice my friends to start spending $15/month on their game, I expect to see some incentive from BioWare's part which would benefit me. If they expect me to advertise and get more people paying for their game, I expect to get something in return as well. ;)

Referral marketing

just worried about actually 'hooking' my friends... we come from the world of pvp... and from the description, each trial will be allowed to hit appx lvl 10 on any given toon.

they are said to be allowed to check out the origin worlds of each storyline... but accessing the pvp will be the winner for my recruits.

hopefully i can hook 'em anyways

Yeah, the original instructions (I haven't checked since originally posted though) are misleading. The actual Friend's Trial link is under Game Info > Friend's Trials.

I'm just concerned and going to send in a ticket if I can since my account is on it's first free month, says I am subscribed with no issues, yet the Friend's Trial won't work since I am not a subscriber 0.o

EDIT: Duh, note to self.. check the Help Centre :pLink

I'm off to buy a game time card now then :)

Edited by Gelsian

Personally I think the offer is way too weak. At first I though I might try getting some friends to play, 7 days is fine to get an idea if you want to play the game.

But only origin worlds just wont cut it for trying anything. No advanced class, no crew skills, no flashpoints, some weak heroics you can solo with companion. No chance to decide if you actually want to play.

While its nice of Bioware to offer free stuff, I think i will personally pass on this one.

What stuff?

I've seen no mention of incentives. If they want me to go out and bother people I know, and become a salesman, for their product, to my friends, then no. I hate getting telemarketing phone calls, or folks emailing me trying to sell me something, all they want is me to - out of the kindness of my heart - go be their sales agent and telemarketer to my circle of friends, providing them with free marketing and sales, for no return on my time.

My friends and family are a valuable market commodity of real dollar value. I already pay a subscription to access their product, now they want my contact info too, for free?

No deal.

What stuff?

I've seen no mention of incentives. If they want me to go out and bother people I know, and become a salesman, for their product, to my friends, then no. I hate getting telemarketing phone calls, or folks emailing me trying to sell me something, all they want is me to - out of the kindness of my heart - go be their sales agent and telemarketer to my circle of friends, providing them with free marketing and sales, for no return on my time.

My friends and family are a valuable market commodity of real dollar value. I already pay a subscription to access their product, now they want my contact info too, for free?

No deal.

Wow, that is pretty angry for an innocent promotion. This is not Bioware saying "Hey you HAVE to invite 3 friends now! We want their info!"

This is more in response to people saying "I want my friend to check this out but he doesn't want to commit 60 dollars." No one is making you send out emails. If you don't see the reason to do this, then don't. If they were giving incentives for sending these invites, that would be more malicious. That is them baiting you. With no incentives, then you know the only people sending out invitations are the people who are actually interested in having their friends play the game.

I have a friend who took part in some of the Beta-testing, but chose not to buy the game and play retail. He'd like to take a look at things now, so what I want to know is, would he be eligible for the Friends trial? And as long as he is, could he use the same account he set up for the Beta, or would he need to create a new account?

Come on. You are giving us an opportunity to invite 3 friends?

It is more like you are giving us an opportunity to recruit 3 new possible subscribers.

Hehe, yep. At first I was thinking to myself, who would fall for that? Then I read all these posts saying YEAH, thanks Bioware, I'll be your tool. No problem!

They could have just offered a 7 day free trial. But no, they want YOU to be their tool because friends are more trustworthy and more reputable than faceless marketing.

Yep, you keep paying Bioware out of your pocket the exact same amount each month AND recruit them more subscribers who in turn will pay them too.

Hilarious. Only in the gaming industry could something like this work. I bet the execs are falling off their chairs laughing at the short-term revenue blast this will make.

I was actually quite happy with this since some of my friends were on my case about a trial for some time now and all I had was "ummm, not yet". It was about time they gave us "send trial" option.

I don't get it why people are so upset. "OMG, it's like they are using us to promote the game!". Du'uh! Good job, Captain Obvious! No one in the whole wide world has ever done something like this before. No other MMO, or anything/anyone else for that matter!

Maybe everyone's already playing with their friends and family and no one else they know is even remotely curious about the game and this is all just a biiiig bother. I for one am looking forward to get more friends hooked on this game and quest together. So thanks, Bioware! It was about time! :D

What I don't think was such a genius move was the restriction to the first planet. You don't get to the advance classes part which really sets you apart, no flashpoints, no ship... I think 'triees' are missing out on the really big hooks of this MMO that set it apart from the others. A bigger level cap might have been better. (really really hoping that my friends will get addicted to it!)

Dont get me wrong Bioware but this is a good idea, but if you want us to become salesman for your product, you need some sort of reward or payment to us in game or as free game time bonus.

THEN you will see this really move!!

Also think this should be 14-days. Some people I know get to play games maybe once or twice a week and would not get a good look at the features or game progression from just a few hours of playing. 14-days gives some more flexibility in my view and considering the 3 invite limitation should not result in abuse of the system.

Of the 3 (or maybe 4) most recent MMO's I've played:

Warhammer: Age of Reckoning - Recruit a Friend:

Exclusive Griffon Mount - Order Side

Exclusive Chimera Mount - Chaos Side

Exclusive XP Bonus stick (to use on your friend)

And some other exclusive something-or-other

World of Warcraft:

Exclusive Companion Pet ?? (I think - hard to remember)

Exclusive Zherva Mount

Exclusive 2-person flying rocket-mount

Rift:

Exclusive Cool Wide-brimmed Wardrobe-slot hat

Exclusive Mount (I think, hard to remember)

Something else I've forgotten.

Point being, all of those offered some reasonable level of consideration for asking us to go out of our way, and put our reputation on the line as marketing agents to our friends, marketing their product. Insider marketing - our friends are more likely to try a product when it's recommended by someone they know and trust vs. some nameless ad on a TV - and hell, tossing someone a cool - exclusive in-game mount only costs the company a few hours of some developer's time to come up with a new exclusive in-game model. From their side, that shiny new 120% speeder is essentially a zero cost item, especially since they'll likely re-use the model, slap a different skin on it, and toss it in as a chest drop from some nightmare mode operation to get multi-use from their development dime.

My post from this morning wasn't in any way meant as angry, only truthful. At this point in the game, I don't feel SWToR is a mature enough product for me to honestly go out of my way to recommend it to my friends and sign my name to that recommendation, risking the trust of my friends on future products. The industry standard, across the industry, whether gaming, IT or otherwise, is if you ask someone to provide you with a service, the polite and reasonable gesture to make in return is some acknowledgement that you're asking the person to go out of their way and provide a benefit for the work and word they're putting in for your company.

This is a business. Anyone who thinks it's a game is kidding themselves.

I recruited several friends to RIFT, even pre-beta. Most are still there. At release RIFT had more features, fewer bugs, smoother framerates, better combat, and a much better character development system than SWToR has now. I felt comfortable recruiting my entire guild onto RIFT along with me, long before there was ever a recruit a friend program there - so if the game is good, sure I'll recruit folks.

To date, the only "new and novel" thing I've seen in SWToR is their "Story" - which by 50 folks can't mash their spacebars fast enough to skip through it and get it out of the way.

Edited by Alexi_son