Change force as resource for jedi knight,

Terko_Koslah

I think it's a design failure that the knight doesn't use force as a resource if another jedi class does.

But the reason for this change is that I would not always have to jump into battle but could for example throw my lightsaber at the enemy first(now it has no use if I haven't collected focus with one of my three abilities that do it, well actually two, two similar strikes and a leap).

The classes feel very restricted and the rotation is set in stone. I hate it. Game lacks diversity. :(

Edited by Terko_Koslah

i don't think it's a good idea to ask for such a huge change. the class is essentially built around the focus system, so its very unlikely that this will ever be changed.

TBH focus isn't such a huge problem at higher levels - each talent tree has a slightly different approach to deal with the focus system and form my experience, they all work well.

a reasonable "quality of life" change for the focus system would (imo) be to change the effects that give you focus when being hit (soresu form & cyclonic sweeps talent, shien form, "visionary" talent for shii cho). my idea would be that they don't generate focus when you are hit but instead they generate focus while you are in combat, regardless of whether you are being hit or not.

other than that, i think the system is fine; i'm not sure if my suggestion is even necessary.

if you really have such a huge problem with focus, maybe you should try another class with a different energy system (jedi shadow maybe? they are a melee jedi class, too, and have a very different resource system - maybe this will work better for you?)

I think Bio's idea is to have force generation differ through the skill trees. This way Combat Sents and Watchman Sents differ not only in rotation but resource building. Using a saber toss to build focus would be cool for maybe Combat and possibly Guardian Sents, but now you're stuck with a focus pool and being too far away from the target to use it. It'd be nice for Combat since they only have 1 gap closer, they could swap targets from afar and generate focus on the run. The other thing is that the the resource style intentionally limits the ability spamming, as that would make us OP.

Saber Throw does Not cost Focus... It generates it the same way Force leap does... Since I've gotten the ability I've used it to Start almost every Fight, it does solid damage and Gives a nice little 4 focus boost(throw + leap).

Also I seem to gain focus at a decent rate, using soresu form, I gain focus for dealing and taking damage.

I think the biggest reason For the difference between the Two Jedi classes resource is the way they play.... Jedi Knights have "focus" because they are using combat "Focus" to channel Their abilities which are mostly saber based... and they gain their strength from the force, Where as the Jedi consular actually Uses the Force directly in most of their attacks/abilities.

No way. The focus system is fine. We're built around building up and then unleashing. Change that and you'd literally have to change the entire class. I personally love the system and IMO it's much more fun than the Trooper/BH and Smuggler/IA's ammo/energy system(haven't played Consular/Inquisitor yet).

I think it's a design failure that the knight doesn't use force as a resource if another jedi class does.

But the reason for this change is that I would not always have to jump into battle but could for example throw my lightsaber at the enemy first(now it has no use if I haven't collected focus with one of my three abilities that do it, well actually two, two similar strikes and a leap).

The classes feel very restricted and the rotation is set in stone. I hate it. Game lacks diversity. :(

It does feel a little odd that the Knight classes are dependent on Focus rather than Force (or Hate for the Sityh Warrior, although on a storyline level I can kind of see how that would work), because Jedi Knights use the Force, not Focus...

I would suggest posting this one in the Suggestion Box in General Chat. I am 100% sure that Bioware will take a look at the request and say "no, we are not going to change the fundamental game mechanic of the Knight/Warrior class in this way", but the only ways to change something are to either post it in the Suggestion Box or get a job with Bioware where you set the future direction for the game. I think the Suggestion Box has a better chance for most of us, personally :)

To Repeat an earlier statement: Saber Throw generates Focus, it doesn't cost Focus. L2P

I just checked it out, but didn't know it because I haven't played that far. But it still seems weird that I have to study each class really carefully to find out what they're gonna be like when I hit 50 so I can find a class to my liking. I'm really not a fan of that focus gathering system. Reminds me of another game too much...

Terko, your comments show that you have absolutely no understanding how the knight classes work

The focus mechanic makes the Knight a very dynamic class to play. You can control your resources instead of being restricted to a resource pool with a set growth rate.

If you want a limited pool play a Shadow, If you want a dynamic class that you balance your resources in, play a knight.

But don’t make all classes work the same way, where is the fun in that?