What playing a Marauder has taught me about real life

trevah

People are really really dumb.

It amazes me that someone will level a character to 50 when they consistently get sub-100k dmg in pvp with a class that specializes in dps. I saw a lvl49 mara yesterday that finished with 75kdmg. Speechless. If the class is too hard - TRY SOMETHING ELSE. If you hit lvl25 and you hate your life, maybe trying another class would be a good plan.

I came onto these forums wondering what class I should pick and these QQ posts almost forced me not to choose mara. I'm glad I stuck with my gut and tried it out because so far (lvl36) they're amazing, complex, fun, and pwn.

I know I'm preaching to the choir for the most part because the people on the forums at least have a general understanding of the mechanics of the class, but really guys. Cry less, read more. Play more. Share more. Whining will accomplish nothing. If you don't like the class STOP PLAYING IT. You're making the few reasonably talented maras look like ******es. And you're playing a class that makes you unhappy.

It's like explaining to a child why it should stop slamming its hand in a door. Who are these people sitting on the other side of the monitor that obliges to a life of masochistic video game experiences and whining all the time.

Ugh, I had to get that off my chest. Sorry.

In the meantime, if anyone has any tips to help me not suck balls at huttball, that'd be great :)

Predation is awesome in hutball, force camo can be used to quickly reset the ball to the center, im not certain what the mara skill is called but eh 5 sec 99% damage reduction cooldown will let you run right through the fire towards the goalline.

Yaa but bioware in its infinite wisdom decided not to bequeath those skills upon the class until 40+. Which is pretty lame. But thanks for the tips anyways!

...or they were going after objectives that don't always reward you with high damage. Guarding a door that isn't being zerged in VS, a node in CW that is quiet at the moment - or it was a Huttball match where most of the other team was ranged with knockbacks?

I've done 400K in a match we were going to lose - just picking targets and going ape, and I've done 120K damage because I spent half the match ping-ponging up and down catwalks trying to slow/stop the enemy BC.

This game is strange in a way... you are more reliant on your team to be effective in a way that I didn't see in WoW. I could rove around a losing AB, for example and pick fights with stragglers if I so desired. That is rarely possible in these Warzones. If your team is undergeared or bad - your performace is most likely going to suffer a huge hit. I love it when players end up in a good team and start talking trash like it's them and them alone that is murdering that warzone.

I've got a screenshot of my mara going 10-0 in a long drawn out civil war... less than 100K damage, lowest on my team....

Guess what? I also had 10 killing blows and 10 solo kills. I was guarding a node they kept sending one person at a time to try to take from me. I killed about 1 of each class and AC in that match 1v1.... but man, those stats kinda made me look foolish unless you noticed the 7800 or so objective points I had and happen to mouseover my kills... :D

@Murmurr: I know, and this makes me sad. It was more just me ranting and hoping people relate to what I say in hopes of making me feel better :)

@Rass: I totally see what you're saying and agree. And there's been times where I've played defense for an entire match and got 8 kills. But unfortunately that wasn't the case this time. It was on freaking voidstar.

And in regards to your point on teamwork, I also entirely agree. That's why it irks me so much to see a 49 mara running around ravaging people while ignoring their def cds. It's ridiculous.

I'm just bothered that people come on to this board to complain about the inadequacies of the class, and yes I get it - the class is hard, but if you're not enjoying it then stop playing the character! The fact that this thought doesn't develop in these people's heads amazes me. If these people are so set on playing masochistic roles with no damage then they may as well switch to a heal sorc or some **** so at least _I_ can have more fun.

@trevah - I can see your point. But you have to remember, this game has attracted a TON of new MMO players and a TON of veterans who were horrible in other games and found that their "lack" of skill is heavily masked in this over-simplified game.

Most classes take no skill at all to be effective and to be frank, many classes can do just fine keyboard turning and clicking... Maras might be one of the few where this isn't possible - but try to convince people of that. Good luck. ;)

It depends on what they are doing...one time i was in civil war WZ, solo defending left turret while rest were zerging just middle both imps and republic, so in end i got 2 defender medals, 1 on 1 and ofc killing blow medal.

While the rest got all of it just cuz they were zerging middle.

So it can happen when you can only get 50k dps as DPS class if your going for objectives only.

If you can't get passed 75k if your in middle of tuga a war in middle or other place than its really bad.

It depends on what they are doing...one time i was in civil war WZ, solo defending left turret while rest were zerging just middle both imps and republic, so in end i got 2 defender medals, 1 on 1 and ofc killing blow medal.

While the rest got all of it just cuz they were zerging middle.

So it can happen when you can only get 50k dps as DPS class if your going for objectives only.

If you can't get passed 75k if your in middle of tuga a war in middle or other place than its really bad.

If someone is leaving you at a node to defend, that's poor teamwork right there. We definitely shine when we are in the thick of battle, and make poor defenders to boot. Once you blow intimidating roar, you're stuck spamming sweeping slash to keep people off nodes. Many many other classes have moves that can peel people off much easier.

There's a lot of bad marauders out there, but there's a lot of bad everything. There's just less of us kicking around. Plus it makes you look good when you wreck people in 2v1s :D

When you do a WZ, you basically have 2 choices. Either 1 go for the main objective and try to win the match, or 2: go for medals and get more valor and commendations, thus getting rank 60 faster. Most ppl go for the second option unless they are Valor rank 60 or higher, in which case most of them will just win 3 matches for the daily.

Hopefully, 1.1.5 will come tomorrow. By then you will only get valor+commendations for the 4 first medals and valor+commendations per warzone will be increased, meaning most ppl will actually have a reason to go for the objective.

I am a total noob at playing mmorpg's and SWTOR was the first of this game type I have ever purchased. World of warcraft was purchased later but is rarely played. Anyways.....

I am curently a lvl 19 maruader on the edge of becoming a lvl 20 marauder. I will say this. it has been a chalenge playing this class, but I feel all the extra work to make my marauder grow into a powerful sith lord, i feel makes me apreciate this class more...i feel a sense of pride when I see fellow marauder players in the open world, because i know all the trials and tribulations that they have went through to get were the are with there marauder. I feel that in a way we are the elite sith. "not underminding any other sith classes" I have worked my *** off to get were I am now with my marauder, even at real low levels... say 10..... I felt at times that I was a one man army. and other times I felt like I was way at the bottom of the food chain. It's true the more you level up the better your marauder becomes...with a little extra work even better. and thank the Empire for the galactic trade market..... if you got the money you can walk onto the battlefield with excelent armor and weapons for even being a low level character, i cant tell you enough how much it has helped in my progress in the game.

the Marauder is a class you have to work at... times will get hard..but its well rewarding because eventualy you will become a beast, an elite predator on the battlefield. all i can say is dont give up, push yourself to get past every road block that may come up"it pays off big time" i have played all the classes and out of them all I feel the marauder is the best to me, I take pride in this class, and the rewards reaped with this class are priceless.

I strongly belive the sith marauder are the elite predator in SWTOR.

For the Empire!!!!!

So you put down someone who is a 49 marauder because he isn't getting top damage everytime in PVP? Since when did Top damage only become the benchmark for a succesful marauder? I prefer a high K/D and Objectives over top damage but tha'ts me. So what if the guy sucks at PVP, he could be a high level PvE guy just getting into PVP. There's no reason to get your panties in a twist about it. Only thing I'm seeing here is Douchebaggery at its finest.

I guess I have it wrong. I assumed that when you first started to PvP that it takes time and experience to get good. That PvP was a lot different than leveling and required using skills in a different way. That you should expect to score only 75k or less at first. I didn't know that you should just be a pro right off the bat.

Makes me question whether I want to PvP at level 50 or not because when I get there, I doubt I will know everything.

I guess I have it wrong. I assumed that when you first started to PvP that it takes time and experience to get good. That PvP was a lot different than leveling and required using skills in a different way. That you should expect to score only 75k or less at first. I didn't know that you should just be a pro right off the bat.

Makes me question whether I want to PvP at level 50 or not because when I get there, I doubt I will know everything.

Yes because lvl49 is TOTALLY the beginning. PvP IS different from PvE but not that different. If I came in to voidstar at lvl 14 never having pvped any mmo in my life and was able to break 100k by the third round, I think a lvl49 that hits 17k is a bit silly.

Anyways, this thread isn't about better-than-thou. It's about me not understanding why people will throw away countless hours of their lives playing something they hate and crying endlessly about it when they could just as easily pick a faceroll class and bathe in the ignorant bliss that is BH.

The op must be headless dps hunter. I play marauder and when i do wz solo and i see that my team is going well without my any special role (watching a voidstar door, an air-defence turret, running with ballcarrier trying to pop predation and berserk in right moments, or just sneaking through flames by phantom camouflage, allowing to be passed lately) - i can go pure dpsing healorz and rdd pwnzors. Elsewise my damage isnt going well. At the end of cordinated warzone i usually stand with 50-100k of damage and 30-40k of heals. When i play dps role only - i get 250-350k.

t.l.d.r.: if u work for team - u get less damage. if u solohunt damage - u shine in damage chart..

The op must be headless dps hunter. I play marauder and when i do wz solo and i see that my team is going well without my any special role (watching a voidstar door, an air-defence turret, running with ballcarrier trying to pop predation and berserk in right moments, or just sneaking through flames by phantom camouflage, allowing to be passed lately) - i can go pure dpsing healorz and rdd pwnzors. Elsewise my damage isnt going well. At the end of cordinated warzone i usually stand with 50-100k of damage and 30-40k of heals. When i play dps role only - i get 250-350k.

t.l.d.r.: if u work for team - u get less damage. if u solohunt damage - u shine in damage chart..

Pretty much. In fact I changed my playstyle since I really wasn't helping the team much I was just melting face of everyone I met. While it got me top of the damage charts constantly I wasn't doing **** for the team as a whole. After rolling my powertech it has changed my playstyle and I am much more team focused then I was when I first started my Mara. Damage is lower but I get a lot more mvp votes due to helping out the team instead of just charge, kill, rinse, repeat.

@The OP

Just because a Marauder doesn't get over 100k damage in a WZ doesn't mean he's dumb by any standard of the word.

When I do WZ on my Mara I generally do 125k-250k damage. I'm not the best by any means but I can hold my own. However there have been occasions when I've been completely shut down and barely managed 30k damage in a warzone.

It sucks but it does happen. When you're constantly jumped by 4 people in a single match or you find someone off on their own and you jump them but before you can get them down a good chunk three people come out of know where, you're not going to get much done.

So in short before you bash on someone for not doing your "standard" amount of damage, check the kill ratio. If they're just getting destroyed it's hard to do damage. If you WZ with them by chance a lot and they always have that little damage then it's a different story.

As much as I hate it when someone completely sucks it up in pvp, just because they might suck doesn't mean they don't enjoy playing their toon. I've met tons of players that under perform by serious gamer standards, but they still find it fun trying to pvp. It's just the way any game is with pvp. No reason to get too angry about it, hopefully 1.2 will improve the frequency of better skilled players in pvp.

Just my 2 credits.