EV 16m HM - First Boss Bugged?

Running two tanks on the first boss... soon as the first gets knocked back the second taunts.

We're encountering a pretty rough bump in the road, however.

Every so often, a dps (usually ranged but sometimes melee) will get hit for 20k+ damage.

It happens right after the knockback, which means it's probably cannonade. And yet, I don't lose aggro and neither does the other tank - we've got a steady lead on the #1 and #2 threat spots.

Anyone else encounter this?

From my understanding reading other nightmare threads on this encounter is that it's an actual legitimate boss mechanic and there's a way to prevent it. The difficult part is figuring out how to prevent the mechanic. Edited by icroyal

From my understanding reading other nightmare threads on this encounter is that it's an actual legitimate boss mechanic and there's a way to prevent it. The difficult part is figuring out how to prevent the mechanic.

Wrong, tanks didn't lose threat at any time.

And to top it off, no rakata gear dropped off the boss after we finally downed him. A few pieces of exotech gear, some crafting patterns, and 3 commendations.

What a waste of *********** time. Now we get to submit a CSR ticket, get told that it is forwarded to the appropriate department, and then unceremoniously closed.

Fix your ****, BW. Unbelievable.

Wrong, tanks didn't lose threat at any time.

And to top it off, no rakata gear dropped off the boss after we finally downed him. A few pieces of exotech gear, some crafting patterns, and 3 commendations.

What a waste of *********** time. Now we get to submit a CSR ticket, get told that it is forwarded to the appropriate department, and then unceremoniously closed.

Fix your ****, BW. Unbelievable.

It's a move that goes to the 2nd threat spot...so it's quite possible that your tanks never lose agro.

Basically how it works is this:

1) Person in number 1 threat spot is knocked back (with an arc around him...I think it's like a 90 degree arc or so)

2) Boss turns to next highest threat and starts cast of cannonode or whatever the name of that move is.

3) after a few seconds, cannonode goes off and hits the person.

If your offtank taunts between steps 2 and 3, it doesn't change who the target of cannonode is.

which means if he goes from step 1 to 2 instantly (which appears to happen sometimes), your offtank has no time to taunt.

best bet, use an assassin or jug as the main tank. They have a higher defense chance, and can dodge step 1, which causes the boss to use cannonode on them.

Have tank 2 pull. Tank 2 is your tank with the bigger HP pool, and less overall avoidance.

Tank 2 puts out as much aggro as humanly possible until the boss hits 95%. Then Tank 1 taunts.

Both tanks do as much threat as possible. Tank 1 gets knocked back, Tank 2 gets every cannonade that happens post knockback. Tank 1 charges or runs back in and taunts as soon as he can. Tanks always get cannonade.

Tank 1 will sometimes get hit by cannonade, as the boss will use cannonade at other times, but will always cast a cannonade after a shockwave + knockback combo.

Finally, if a DPS happens to get cannonade with this system, then it is possible that the DPS has more threat than your second tank, but less than 130%, which would cause the boss to pull at range.

There are some buggy things going on in this game, but I find that a lot of people are content with calling anything they can't figure out or find odd at first glance a "bug". Should probably stop doing that.

Have fun!

Edited by Valan

It's a move that goes to the 2nd threat spot...so it's quite possible that your tanks never lose agro.

Basically how it works is this:

1) Person in number 1 threat spot is knocked back (with an arc around him...I think it's like a 90 degree arc or so)

2) Boss turns to next highest threat and starts cast of cannonode or whatever the name of that move is.

3) after a few seconds, cannonode goes off and hits the person.

If your offtank taunts between steps 2 and 3, it doesn't change who the target of cannonode is.

which means if he goes from step 1 to 2 instantly (which appears to happen sometimes), your offtank has no time to taunt.

best bet, use an assassin or jug as the main tank. They have a higher defense chance, and can dodge step 1, which causes the boss to use cannonode on them.

^this...not a glitch...i get hit by it all the time

great explanation btw...i was trying to figure out how to explain this

hah, there's something new, he just did a shockwave and a 360 degree knockback and wtfpwned our entire melee group. Including the melee standing right behind him.

Fix your **** BW.

You do realize that is an actual mechanic that you are supposed to avoid, every time he is about to shock wave + 360 knock back he says something like "proximity alert". If you run out right when he says that you should still get stunned but wont get hit by the knock back.

He's not following the emote script as well. Proximity Alert seemed to not correspond with teh right aoe.

We tried him on 16man the other night and just got wiped in the first 20% each attempt. 8man raids we breeze past him no probs

Edited by Volantiz