Hero Engine: why?

Tokeee

I'm sorry that you are having a hard time making friends.

I personally play the game with my family and guild.

I also meet new people out on the planets, make new friends, and continue enjoying the game and overall my life in general.

I hope it all works out for you in the end.

I'm in a guild. I play with friends. They've all quit and im still going.

I'm dumb like that.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is, how can you?

You cannot pretend to know what the engine is.

You cannot pretend to know that lag is related to the engine itself.

YOU DON'T KNOW BUT ACT LIKE YOU DO.

True, but it's either the engine is bad at the core or SWTOR simply doesn't know how to code multiplayer games very well. One option is just a bad decision, the other is incompetence of an entire team.

My money is on the engine itself.

Why do you get so defensive about this game?

I don't understand.

Put that passion else-where. This game isn't worth it, Azzras.

You enjoy it? OK, then play it. Stop wasting your time posting the same defensive drivel on these forums, day after day.

You're better than that.

Because I know at the heart of any game is a code base that determines how the game is rendered and how data is streamed amoung many many other things.

That comes from the game engine hun, code is then improved and added to the engine.

Hero engine's renderer is subpar at best.

:rolleyes:

Hero Engine threads serve one purpose and one purpose only:

A soapbox for unhappy players to rant, gnash, complain, and pretend to be game engine designers extraordinare.

This is absurd. The hero engine is the game engine for this game. You either like the game and play the game or your don't. No amount of debate or complaining about the game engine will change anything.

AND no amount of complaining or pretending to be experts in the field is going to change anything.

Edited by Andryah

hahahaha

Post bug reports about lag? What will that accomplish? You think there are specific scenarios where lag occurs, but otherwise its fine and the devs might not know about it?

"Today i was in fleet. I moved.. it lagged. I stayed still.. it lagged. I rotated 180 degress and I eventually gained control of my PC 30 minutes later"

Pull your head out. The only people defending this games performance is people who havent played a modern mmo.

no but giving them your dxdiag and reporting the bug nonetheless helps them figure out why it runs PERFECTLY ON SOME PCS and not on others....

use ur head man .... for the record i play on a dinosaur that mantains a steady 50+ fps on 95% of the game, the only place where it lags a lot is in ilum when there are more than thirthy people and ton of particle effects on screen, and thats my old cpu's fault

Because I know at the heart of any game is a code base that determines how the game is rendered and how data is streamed amoung many many other things.

That comes from the game engine hun, code is then improved and added to the engine.

[Citation needed]

Nothing but wild guesses with no proof

Show me the technical data to support your claims

Edited by lineschmidt

You've got it all wrong.. Listen to the fanbois. Hero engine to this day powers many popular mmos like..

er..

hmmmm.

Little help here fanbois?

hahahaha

Post bug reports about lag? What will that accomplish? You think there are specific scenarios where lag occurs, but otherwise its fine and the devs might not know about it?

"Today i was in fleet. I moved.. it lagged. I stayed still.. it lagged. I rotated 180 degress and I eventually gained control of my PC 30 minutes later"

Pull your head out. The only people defending this games performance is people who havent played a modern mmo.

I'm not saying lag doesn't exist. I am saying that you and I are not qualified to determine where the issues are.

OH, and the only performance issues I ever experienced have been Ilum PvP during around 40v40.

Also, if you or someone else lost 'control of their PC' for 30 minutes then maybe they should look into their own hardware/software or quit exaggerating.

P.S.

Play nice or be ignored.

Yet another rant platform thread in the forum. :rolleyes:

Hero Engine threads serve one purpose and one purpose only:

A soapbox for unhappy players to rant, gnash, complain, and pretend to be game engine designers extraordinare.

This is absurd. The hero engine is the game engine for this game. You either like the game and play the game or your don't. No amount of debate or complaining about the game engine will change anything.

AND no amount of complaining or pretending to be experts in the field is going to change anything.

I believe that is true. Wish it wasn't. I dearly wish there was a way to port this game over to another engine.

My choice would be U3, simply because Tera graphics and gameplay blew my mind. But the questing there was kinda meh.

The core functionality typically provided by a game engine includes a rendering engine (“renderer”) for 2D or 3D graphics, a physics engine or collision detection (and collision response), sound, scripting, animation, artificial intelligence, networking, streaming, memory management, threading, localization support, and a scene graph. The process of game development is often economized, in large part, by reusing/adapting the same game engine to create different games.[1]

I would say those things above all would directly attribute to bad performance wouldn't you?

That is what a game engine is.

Because when you made single player RPGs for a living and someone asks you:

"Go out and make an MMO!"

And you have never made an multi-player online engine (well since Neverwinter Nights and that was a kind of hack to be multi-player), you think you better give it to an expert instead.

Unfortunately, that is often the wrong answer 5 years later.

Edited by Drallbait

another poster pretty much said it already...

you either like it , or you dont...this is what we got, either deal with it or stop paying to play , its a simple thing really ....

fact is, this is pointless moaning about something that is not changeable in any realistic terms...

they have to progresivley change it and make it better, they cant flush millions down the toilet and begin a new game/engine from scratch now, DEAL WITH IT

The core functionality typically provided by a game engine includes a rendering engine (“renderer”) for 2D or 3D graphics, a physics engine or collision detection (and collision response), sound, scripting, animation, artificial intelligence, networking, streaming, memory management, threading, localization support, and a scene graph. The process of game development is often economized, in large part, by reusing/adapting the same game engine to create different games.[1]

I would say those things above all would directly attribute to bad performance wouldn't you?

That is what a game engine is.

Avoiding the question

Where is your technical proof?

I'm not saying lag doesn't exist. I am saying that you and I are not qualified to determine where the issues are.

I'm just going to give a little knowing smirk here :rolleyes:. I'll leave you to figure out what it means.

another poster pretty much said it already...

you either like it , or you dont...this is what we got, either deal with it or stop paying to play , its a simple thing really ....

fact is, this is pointless moaning about something that is not changeable in any realistic terms...

they have to progresivley change it and make it better, they cant flush millions down the toilet and begin a new game/engine from scratch now, DEAL WITH IT

Heres what your not understanding.

Many of us do like the game.

But we want to see it actually perform.

You think these are complaints from people that hate the game and are just complaining because we hate the game?

You got it wrong there buddy.

We are complaining for the same reason you are defending and arguing with us.

Avoiding the question

Where is your technical proof?

What question did I avoid?

There have been many many people in the industry the wrote up very very detailed explainations as to why swtor performs poorly.

You can go google them for yourself.

And read up on them, then get back to me on the proof part.

The proof is all around you in the game. The lagging when you open UI items, the lag in warzones, the lag in ilum, the random lag when solo sometimes, the hitching in specific areas.

A yellow post even confirmed why they dont have high res textures in game. because it created performance issues.... and that is due to the engines renderer not being able to handle it... *sigh*

The double process's, the 1 gig disk cache.

Theres so many things that just stand out and say look im not a modern engine I dont know how to handle resources so there are hacks that we had to do to get it to work.

If you cant see that if you cant research that on your own and use that thing attached to your neck then we have nothing to discuss tbh.

Edited by Barracudastr

What question did I avoid?

There have been many many people in the industry the wrote up very very detailed explainations as to why swtor performs poorly.

You can go google them for yourself.

And read up on them, then get back to me on the proof part.

The proof is all around you in the game. The lagging when you open UI items, the lag in warzones, the lag in ilum, the random lag when solo sometimes, the hitching in specific areas.

The double process's, the 1 gig disk cache.

Theres so many things that just stand out and say look im not a modern engine I dont know how to handle resources so there are hacks that we had to do to get it to work.

If you cant see that if you cant research that on your own and use that thing attached to your neck then we have nothing to discuss tbh.

Ahh more insults. You seem to have some anger issues when called on your wild speculations

You're the one who claims the engine is flawed so you're the one who must prove it

We both know you can't because you have no idea how the engine works

Heres what your not understanding.

Many of us do like the game.

But we want to see it actually perform.

You think these are complaints from people that hate the game and are just complaining because we hate the game?

No ****. I still subscribe because the single player parts are good (my god the IA story), but there is nothing else holding me to it. This game needs to hitch its pants up and catch up with this decade.

Tera is going the other way. Looks gorgeous, PVP is fantastic. Questing is a god damn cut and paste from early 90's mmos.

Ahh more insults. You seem to have some anger issues when called on your wild speculations

You're the one who claims the engine is flawed so you're the one who must prove it

We both know you can't because you have no idea how the engine works

Where did I insult you? lol Telling you to use your head and do a bit of research instead of using your ignorance to argue with me is not an insult. Maybe if you knew what you were talking about you would have something else to say other then your wrong, prove it, etc etc.

Its already been proven m8.

Edited by Barracudastr

Where did I insult you? lol

Its already been proven m8.

No, it has not

You can't even provide a link proving it

Again, you're not qualified to talk about the engine

The game runs fine on my pc except for 40 v 40 ilum battles but frankly i can't think of any mmo that ran well under those conditions

Edited by lineschmidt

Why do you get so defensive about this game?

I don't understand.

Put that passion else-where. This game isn't worth it, Azzras.

You enjoy it? OK, then play it. Stop wasting your time posting the same defensive drivel on these forums, day after day.

You're better than that.

Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence, but no I'm not.

I get bored at work is all, really. I work a lot of hours, but little to do.

And a fair chunk of my posts aren't drivel when I care about the topic.

This topic is not one of them, so drivel is what happens.

:o

No ****. I still subscribe because the single player parts are good (my god the IA story), but there is nothing else holding me to it. This game needs to hitch its pants up and catch up with this decade.

Tera is going the other way. Looks gorgeous, PVP is fantastic. Questing is a gosh darn cut and paste from early 90's mmos.

Combine Tera gameplay and graphics with SWTOR VO stories and classes, then add endgame and mods from WoW, with three factions from DAoC and a reason to love each faction, you have the perfect MMO.

Pointless, pointless to the extreme.

Run-on complaints and speculations and pretense of being a game engine expert WILL NOT CHANGE ANYTHING.

The hardest single component to flush and replace in a game is the game engine. It is also one of the most complex and difficult to adjust and improve.

Bioware has said they have a focus team dedicated to addressing graphics issues and improving them. If that is not acceptable, you have personal choices you can make.

Edited by Andryah