Gs/snipers, 100% useless for competitive play

poulpatine

Most of what is posted regarding the defencies of gunslingers is true.

What I find unbelieveable is that on switching to dirty fighting that while the spec has a lot better mobility and aoe damage without needing to be in cover you basically have 5 clicks and then the rest of the time until you die you are spamming burst of bolts because your energy is not enough to go into cover and even fire off 1 ability.

How can you have a spec that works for 20 seconds of the warzone and then you cant use it again until you either die or spent 15 seconds recuperating?

Is there any other class which runs out of energy like this?

Totally incredible that such an untested and unusable spec could make it into the live game.

200% agree with you . I love DF spec , but unfortunately it's very broken .... You spend more time to spam flurry of bolts than really use your true skills to avoid falling under 60/66 energy ... Our AC is broken unless fighting short/mid fights while being not attacked , 5% of the whole time :'

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, please continue to reroll while I blow everyone out of the water in damage every single warzone.

yes top dmg, while accomplishing nothing & having no benefit to the wz objective especially after next patch.

only people who thinks their sniper is good are people who having played any of the other dps class. ie operative, merc, sorc, hell even operative will out dps a sniper in any wz.

or the people the play against have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

yes top dmg, while accomplishing nothing & having no benefit to the wz objective especially after next patch.

only people who thinks their sniper is good are people who having played any of the other dps class. ie operative, merc, sorc, hell even operative will out dps a sniper in any wz.

or the people the play against have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

Doing damage and getting kills is essential in every WZ except the odd case of forcing respawns on a ball carrier about to score. You will never win a WZ if you can't kill anything.

And no, mercs, sorcs, and operatives do not out damage snipers and gunslingers. Not by a long shot. And if they are, you're GS or sniper is terrible.

Edited by Awakelol

Doing damage and getting kills is essential in every WZ except the odd case of forcing respawns on a ball carrier about to score. You will never win a WZ if you can't kill anything.

And no, mercs, sorcs, and operatives do not out damage snipers and gunslingers. Not by a long shot. And if they are, you're GS or sniper is terrible.

hey who said logic was allowed in this thread ? PEW PEW CAN'T KILL NOTHING BUFF GUNSLINGER/SNIPER HERP DERRP :)

Edited by Vyndeta

Do any of the other Snipers/Gunslingers that are 65+ Valor in Full BM/Rakata Gear with 1700+ Cunning also lol'ing at the kids that are telling us to L2P?

The people claiming to hit targets for 5k+ aren't trolling or lying.. [btw, ArPen is broken; its been tested]. On targets w/out Expertise [i generally use about 8-10%] i Ambush Crit for about 4-4.5k on Full BM targets.. ExplosiveProbe for around 2.5-3k [these are Crits mind you].

I Run Engineerling/Leth for the sole reason that Cull does absurd damage, and Imperial Methodology is pretty nuts as well. If also allows you to use Countermeasures to remove movement impairing effects [which lets you go back into cover if you're rooted].

Snipers/GS main issue is that they have ZERO self peels.

OP hit the nail on the head.

Our class can be replaced by ANY ranged dps class in the game ATM and do better.. while having a lower skill cap.

No one plays Snipers/GS atm.. b/c the class is aweful. I spent MILLIONS of credits and tested for days to Min/Max my Sniper.. and my damage still comes no where close to equally geared Marauders, Powertechs, or Assasins.

Sorcs aren't really an issue.

1v1 our only real issues are Geared Assassins, Merc Healers and Marauders.

We melt Sorcs, DPS Mercs, and Op Healers.. Juggs aren't an issue, and Leth/Engin wreck Marks Snipers.

But we DO have issues.

2 Fixes.. [whoever said give us 45m of range is *********** insane. that WOULD be OP].

-Give us a Vanish .

Maras have a vanish, and a cheat death that they can use anytime they want.

We're SNIPERS and we don't have a Camoflauge ability.. rediculous.

-Give us a portable piece of cover we can throw out [at a 20m range] and roll to it.

That would give as a peel that would allow use to create distance from Melee, or LoS the other Ranged DPSers..

also-- allow Leth to make their DoTs undispellable. If you have an ability [CULL] that is your MAIN SOURCE OF DAMAGE and it doesn't less damage than your other channeled ability w/out DoTS [soS] then theres an issue here.. or give our DoTs a shorter CD...

Last Talent in Madness Roots its target for 2 sec, does a TON of damage and is a NINE SECOND Cd.

Corro Nade is a 15sec cd...

Interro Probe is a 15sec cd...

btw.. we're a RANGED DPS CLASS without a slow.

really.

thats all i have to say about that.

btw. a 30% slow we have tos spec into, in our tree is USELESS.. you know.. when Sorcs have a 50% SLOW on a short CD.. and the melee dps classes have a 50% SLOW on no cd.

Useless.

Not even worth it to spec into.

ps.. if you're in a good group on a server with MOSTLY BMs.. then as a Sniper that is trying to win [since sitting around tunnelvisioning damage is easy and shows that you're bad if you're claiming that kills/damage make a player good] you're going to be behind the Maras, and Powertechs in Damage. Thats just the way it is.

But who cares.

Our root goes through Resolve.. but anything you can do as a Sniper can be done better by a Sorc.

except this..

and only this.

You have BY FAR the most burst in the game.

If i target a healer that is being guarded... i can kill them [if i can interrupt their heal, and no one else is heailng them] by popping ALL of my CDs [trinkets/adrenals] with an ExplosiveProbe [assuming you're specced into imperial Methodology] on them w/ Dart/Nade/InnteroProbe/+Cull/SoS.

Thats like.. seriously 20k+ Damage.

If you don't believe me i'll post a vid.

You're a glass cannon with no peels.

:(

Bioware.

Fix us !

<3 Snipers/GS

Chozette [65 Valor Sniper]

Chozeqah [55 Valor Mara]

Chozenone [45 Valor Sorc]

Iron Citadel <Bad Reputation>

Good points. And yes leth/eng rules for 1v1s, good burst an aoes. BUT the spec has huge drawbacks (full leth too) ! If not you wouldn't see MM speced snipers for pvp.

-You can't switch targets : your setup needs 2 dots minimum and cull, and that's a lot of energy. + your corrosive grenade gets dispelled ? No damage for 12s gg. leth would need a dispell protection on dots AND on stealth classes debuff removing mechanics.

-you think it does insane burst because you don't have any damage done before culling. 3 dots + explosive probe and you already spent 4gcds on your target. In the same time mercs would have lolmissiled their target. Technically yes you do absurd damage while culling but dps wise it's not that impressive.

-Even without switching you use a LOT of rifle shots if you don't have your adrenaline probe. Dot rifleshot dot rifleshot dot rifleshot explosive probe rifle shot cull. If you don't do this you'll already be below 60 % energy and will do subpar assist dps. The regen with crits and cluster bombs comes too late. You know something is wrong with the spec when you spend half the time rifleshoting.

Do any of the other Snipers/Gunslingers that are 65+ Valor in Full BM/Rakata Gear with 1700+ Cunning also lol'ing at the kids that are telling us to L2P?

The people claiming to hit targets for 5k+ aren't trolling or lying.. [btw, ArPen is broken; its been tested]. On targets w/out Expertise [i generally use about 8-10%] i Ambush Crit for about 4-4.5k on Full BM targets.. ExplosiveProbe for around 2.5-3k [these are Crits mind you].

I Run Engineerling/Leth for the sole reason that Cull does absurd damage, and Imperial Methodology is pretty nuts as well. If also allows you to use Countermeasures to remove movement impairing effects [which lets you go back into cover if you're rooted].

Our class can be replaced by ANY ranged dps class in the game ATM and do better.. while having a lower skill cap.

No one plays Snipers/GS atm.. b/c the class is aweful. I spent MILLIONS of credits and tested for days to Min/Max my Sniper.. and my damage still comes no where close to equally geared Marauders, Powertechs, or Assasins.

We melt Sorcs, DPS Mercs, and Op Healers.. Juggs aren't an issue, and Leth/Engin wreck Marks Snipers.

But we DO have issues.

2 Fixes.. [whoever said give us 45m of range is *********** insane. that WOULD be OP].

-Give us a Vanish .

-Give us a portable piece of cover we can throw out [at a 20m range] and roll to it.

That would give as a peel that would allow use to create distance from Melee, or LoS the other Ranged DPSers..

also-- allow Leth to make their DoTs undispellable. If you have an ability [CULL] that is your MAIN SOURCE OF DAMAGE and it doesn't less damage than your other channeled ability w/out DoTS [soS] then theres an issue here.. or give our DoTs a shorter CD...

Last Talent in Madness Roots its target for 2 sec, does a TON of damage and is a NINE SECOND Cd.

really.

btw. a 30% slow we have tos spec into, in our tree is USELESS.. you know.. when Sorcs have a 50% SLOW on a short CD.. and the melee dps classes have a 50% SLOW on no cd.

Useless.

ps.. if you're in a good group on a server with MOSTLY BMs.. then as a Sniper that is trying to win [since sitting around tunnelvisioning damage is easy and shows that you're bad if you're claiming that kills/damage make a player good] you're going to be behind the Maras, and Powertechs in Damage. Thats just the way it is.

But who cares.

Our root goes through Resolve.. but anything you can do as a Sniper can be done better by a Sorc.

except this..

and only this.

If i target a healer that is being guarded... i can kill them [if i can interrupt their heal, and no one else is heailng them] by popping ALL of my CDs [trinkets/adrenals] with an ExplosiveProbe [assuming you're specced into imperial Methodology] on them w/ Dart/Nade/InnteroProbe/+Cull/SoS.

Bioware.

Fix us !

<3 Snipers/GS

Chozeqah [55 Valor Mara]

****... RIGHT ON THE MONEY. Pulled every single word out of my mind/mouth. You should make a new thread with this as the opening post. If you don't, I think I will by next week. -_- The "drop cover 20m away to roll into" is a lot more reasonable than a small vanish type move. It gives both operatives and snipers a sense of distinction. I feel like this one move alone will help a lot with balancing this class.

Edited by GemG

You guys are asking for a bunch in this thread...I do a good amount of owning as a Sniper, and the complaints about Cover I can agree with. Cover bugging on ledges and not providing any true "benefit" has been documented. I agree with it 100%.

Honestly, all I want is for Orbital Strike to start hitting when the damn cast is over. Is that too much to ask for? If you're not spec'd for it, its 3 seconds + the activation time so the anticipation is a bit ridiculous in those cases.

I wouldn't mind additional range as well. Having the same range (while in cover) as everybody else as a Sniper is rather silly if you ask me.

EDIT:

I also think maybe we can take a look at energy. All of our abilities have CD's, but Energy (especially as Lethality) is dreadful even when you take Lethal Purpose. I find it interesting that after you do all this Tech poisons, Weakening Blast...you can't even Snipe or Ambush anybody cause you have no energy and it will regen SLOWLY.

Edited by Radared

But we DO have issues.

-Give us a Vanish .

really.

Useless.

But who cares.

except this..

and only this.

Bioware.

Fix us !

<3 Snipers/GS

Chozeqah [55 Valor Mara]

Excellent post! As a Valor 64 Sniper I couldn't agree more. We are much needed of a get away ability, something similar to a marauder's vanish/cheat death, or a sorc's bubble+sprint. As of now, we are basically sitting ducks once a melee jumps in range, it is bad enough that OPs annihilate us when caught without CC breaker. The only reason why I continue to play this class is for the occasional epic crit on sages/sorcs (had a 6.5k ambush crit yesterday). This class has the potential to be great, it is time for Bioware to step up and fix this mess!

Edited by painsponge

O'rly? Can you do 1kk dmg in a wz?

But we DO have issues.

-Give us a Vanish .

really.

Useless.

But who cares.

except this..

and only this.

Bioware.

Fix us !

<3 Snipers/GS

Chozeqah [55 Valor Mara]

Yes.

BM sniper here and I've been having similar thoughts.

Sniper is not a bad class, but I'm having trouble seeing why a sniper would be picked above an equally geared merc/sorc who can put out the same kind of damage and still bring utility to the table. Even moreso now that the DoT interrupt gets fixed (much needed though)

The only thing that really separates us from the other ranged DPS classes in a positive manner is our cover +entrench/20% shield. Oh, and as Chozette above mentioned our resolve-ignoring root which I'm not sure is a bug or not.

Also, I'm having trouble understanding:

Cast time abilities/short CD abilities such as Ambush and Leg Shot being parryable. Hits MM a lot harder than Leth/engi specs. There's no real need for this mechanic.

Leg Shot travel time. Coupled with lag, it's guessing game when you want precision.

I love my sniper, but I fear for what will happen when the rated WZs come where the opponents properly uses dispel and will focus you when possible.

Again, it's not a terrible class. All of the alternatives are just better.

I don't know about all this complaining but the top 2 Gunslingers and Snipers on my server do insane amounts of damage. Something like 700k in Voidstar, 400k+ in Huttball and Civil War.

Now I might be totally mistaken, but if they can do that kind of damage and they are coordinating in a Rated Group. Well I imagine their ability to put healers to sleep will override any other kind of perceived lack of utility or such.

Oh my Rated Group is planning on using 1 so go figure.

I don't know about all this complaining but the top 2 Gunslingers and Snipers on my server do insane amounts of damage. Something like 700k in Voidstar, 400k+ in Huttball and Civil War.

Now I might be totally mistaken, but if they can do that kind of damage and they are coordinating in a Rated Group. Well I imagine their ability to put healers to sleep will override any other kind of perceived lack of utility or such.

Oh my Rated Group is planning on using 1 so go figure.

I can do those numbers as a sage, too.. and have more utility.

I love my Sniper - im not saying Snipers dont do good damage, im just saying...

we dont do better damage than anyone else, really..

but have far less utility.. 'just 'cause' apparently.

I can do those numbers as a sage, too.. and have more utility.

I love my Sniper - im not saying Snipers dont do good damage, im just saying...

we dont do better damage than anyone else, really..

but have far less utility.. 'just 'cause' apparently.

your utility will come at the cost of your damage. This is fine with me, I'm tired of 5-6k hits.

I think everyone is forgetting that since Snipers/GS are the least played class... the likelihood of buffs is relatively minimal.

as an answer to a previous question too.. LegShot going through Resolve is not a bug. It is working as intended. Slows go through Resolve.. and a Root is a 100% Slow.

edit- another issue that Snipers/GS have as well [that the other pure dps class Maras/Sentinals bring to the table] is that we don't have any notable buffs to assist the Ops group with.

Ballistic shield once every 3min... LOL.

ScatterShot.. ArPen is broken... LOL.

Marauders/Sentinels-

Bloodlust- FLAT DAMAGE INCREASE.

Predation- FLAT MOVEMENT INCREASE.

and let us not forget their healing debuff.. and their 4sec Interrupt on a 6sec [assuming you spec into it and you're not a baddie] CD.

They also have self peels and they heal themselves for about 15% of their total health due to Berserk.

I'm going to make a thread soon about ALL of the issues with pvp atm.. comment for Sniper justice when i post it please.

-Chozette

Edited by TehChozenOne

your utility will come at the cost of your damage. This is fine with me, I'm tired of 5-6k hits.

Then you should stop PvPing in level 40 greens, because in full, re-modded BM with a power trinket and expertise adrenal, I cant hit 5k reliably - ever, except on targets that are brutally undergeared.

And individual hits aren't what matters - in the same time as it takes to reliably land 6k on a sniper - a sorc or merc can do so as well, just as reliably.

Then you should stop PvPing in level 40 greens, because in full, re-modded BM with a power trinket and expertise adrenal, I cant hit 5k reliably - ever, except on targets that are brutally undergeared.

And individual hits aren't what matters - in the same time as it takes to reliably land 6k on a sniper - a sorc or merc can do so as well, just as reliably.

Correct

55 valor & full champ here

I have never been able to crit over 5K with ambush (4.9k was the highest on an undergeared person)

As for utility,

Root preventing cover, should be a bug because it works with a snare. --> gets exploited alot on my server.

Is someone asking this question in the Q&A?

more reliable cover pulse, it sometimes trows people around at random,

Shield probe -> change it to reduce dmg taken by XX%, up the CD abit if needed or a flatout dmg absorb similar to sorc/sage bubble

Shattershot? hmmm i certainly don't see higher hits from my ambush,

Ballistic shield --> isn't even on my bar anymore cause it turns me in a target

Entrench is more situational then actually a core cd (people think huh?)

It just doesn't work against a marauder/sentinel/shadow/assassin/operative/scoundrel

And Leth/dirty fighting, why do scoundrel/operative have some many energy regen talents and sniper only gets the "restore energy" on crit?

I've pretty much mastered lethality but when i saw operatives talent tree i was baffeled...

Shield probe -> change it to reduce dmg taken by XX%, up the CD abit if needed or a flatout dmg absorb similar to sorc/sage bubble

it IS a flatout damage absorb like a sorc bubble - just not as much. (I think, in my gear, its about 1500)

it IS a flatout damage absorb like a sorc bubble - just not as much. (I think, in my gear, its about 1500)

The Damage shield is fine.. The real issue is that Snipers/GS have no way to heal... like EVERY OTHER CLASS IN THE GAME.

btw.. if you tell me that 6% from Activating Adrenal Probe constitutes healing then you're severely mistaken.

Our Shield Probe needs to absorb more damage... like around 4k. or perhaps more.

Also note, Ballistic Shield won't be receiving a reduced CD anytime soon b/c it is TOO STRONG in PvE.

They need to just flat out give Snipers another Defensive CD..