Guardian vs. Shadow vs. Vanguard

-Sithis-

Going to try a guardian in tank spec in pvp with this alt im makeing. But as I have played a full shield spec vanguard in pvp let me just say those numbers people keep tossing up for vanguard damage do not represent the shield spec guys like myself they are some hybird build with a little shield spec and rest dps spec with ion charge up.

The main advantage I get from vanguard is the range and the grapple along with aoe taunt . All of those make guarding a capture piont alot easier. Knock me off the point fine Ill shoot ya at range, attack the healer fine ill pull you off, want to use tracer rounds on me ill just run and LOS while still tapping you from range while trying to cap.

No I dont kill anyone in shield spec but I can make it take forever for your team to cap or recap which is my job as a full tank spec vanguard cause it sure as heck aint going to be about topping charts for damage or kills. I plan on playing my guardian the same way I figure if you know your role right off the bat it makes pvp alot easier.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to try a guardian in tank spec in pvp with this alt im makeing. But as I have played a full shield spec vanguard in pvp let me just say those numbers people keep tossing up for vanguard damage do not represent the shield spec guys like myself they are some hybird build with a little shield spec and rest dps spec with ion charge up.

The main advantage I get from vanguard is the range and the grapple along with aoe taunt . All of those make guarding a capture piont alot easier. Knock me off the point fine Ill shoot ya at range, attack the healer fine ill pull you off, want to use tracer rounds on me ill just run and LOS while still tapping you from range while trying to cap.

No I dont kill anyone in shield spec but I can make it take forever for your team to cap or recap which is my job as a full tank spec vanguard cause it sure as heck aint going to be about topping charts for damage or kills. I plan on playing my guardian the same way I figure if you know your role right off the bat it makes pvp alot easier.

... you're probably wearing supercommando gear (or have little pvp gear)

... /facepalm

All the good shield spec vanguards I know that pull 400-500K damage wear champion combat tech since supercommando gear is horrible in pvp since defense/shield/absorb is bypassed by 80% of all pvp damage.

Edited by AndantePhist

... you're probably wearing supercommando gear (or have little pvp gear)

... /facepalm

All the good shield spec vanguards I know that pull 400-500K damage wear champion combat tech since supercommando gear is horrible in pvp since defense/shield/absorb is bypassed by 80% of all pvp damage.

Yep I do. I know the stats dont work it is one of my big complaints but to be honest with ya I cant get myself to go along with the herd and sell out my full tank spec or my tank gear just for dps. If the idea for me was to be number 1 on the damage boards and kills i would not have speced shield or even gone more than 5 to 10 points into it like the guys you are seeing run Ion charge with just enough shield to get bonus armor and to guard and rest goes into dps tree. Thats not a tank in my book and to be honest they should move those skills higher up in the tree to prevent that abuse, only catch is it would hurt the newer players that would rely on it for pve tanking so i see why they cant do that.

The point was pure shield spec tanks are in no way doing the damage cliamed those are the hybird dps specs and by no means should be considered tanks.

Edited by Zbus

Yep I do. I know the stats dont work it is one of my big complaints but to be honest with ya I cant get myself to go along with the herd and sell out my full tank spec or my tank gear just for dps. If the idea for me was to be number 1 on the damage boards and kills i would not have speced shield or even gone more than 10 to 15 points into it like the guys you are seeing run Ion charge with just enough shield to get bonus armor and to guard and rest goes into dps tree. Thats not a tank in my book and to be honest they should move those skills higher up in the tree to prevent that abuse, only catch is it would hurt the newer players that would rely on it for pve tanking so i see why they cant do that.

The point was pure shield spec tanks are in no way doing the damage cliamed those are the hybird dps specs and by no means should be considered tanks.

protip:

What makes you survivable isn't your gear, its your spec (since tank gear doesnt work in pvp)

What makes you do damage is your gear (since dps stats work 100% the time in pvp)

logic ftw!

Lets see you have 2 choices:

1.Be very hard to kill+ do great damage

OR

2. Be very hard to kill+ do mediocre damage

OBVIOUSLY THE FIRST CHOICE ISNT A TANK! Since he can tank AND do damage! Omg all tanks need to be pigeonholed into doing horrible damage because you said so, otherwise they arent tanks.

Oh btw, the vanguards you say "aren't tanks" that do 400-500k damage... they also get 100-200k protection too ON TOP of the damage... obviously they are not tanks...

Edited by AndantePhist

protip:

What makes you survivable isn't your gear, its your spec (since tank gear doesnt work in pvp)

What makes you do damage is your gear (since dps stats work 100% the time in pvp)

logic ftw!

I do just fine guarding the node and not worrying about dps. Its a play style not what someone else wants me to do by min/maxing my gear and point slection I did that crap in wow till I was sick of it. Besides you show me the proof that a full shield spec vanguard tank is doing that kind of damage and I will agree that you are correct. The trick will be showing they are full shield spec. Ill allow them to wear what ever dps gear they want for the sake of arguments. Otherwise your wrong

Protip- dont try and change the subject to what I do or dont do as a vanguard as compared to others in pvp. Im all for guardian buffs if they need them but lets be clear thier is a diffrence between pure tanks be they vanguard or guardian and these DPS hybird specs. If your going to cmpare or make claims make sure you know which is which.

Besides you have issues getting upset over my claims of the advantages I enjoyed as a vanguard tank its not like I said nerf guardians or dont buff them. I just said I plan on playing my guardian like I did my vanguard. Why would you argue the point of that is beyond me. Maybe your just one of those kind of people though cant let others talk without adding your attacking commentary. /shurg

Edited by Zbus

All pics and numbers are post-nerfs. And again, there was no shadow "nerf."

Yes there was; back in January; the Balance Hybrid spec was nerfed to non competitiveness.

Edited by Shardie

Besides you show me the proof that a full shield spec vanguard tank is doing that kind of damage and I will agree that you are correct. The trick will be showing they are full shield spec. Ill allow them to wear what ever dps gear they want for the sake of arguments. Otherwise your wrong

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9899/screenshot2012022400532.jpg

Ryjin, he did 456k damage, 47k protection. He is full shield spec 31/8/2. I'm trying to talk him into going into "Iron fist" spec 25/14/2 but he likes full shield spec too much. He did this with mostly champion, but also few pieces of centurion and crafted gear.

So there.

He's had better games, but this is the only SS I have of him.

If you hate Min/maxing... do not play MMOs, stick with single player games. Min/maxing is a key aspect of MMOs, or any game where you play competitively against human players.

Edited by AndantePhist

Yes there was; back in January; the Balance Hybrid spec was nerfed to non competitiveness.

http://i.imgur.com/cs6hC.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2j5lv0l.jpg

Both occurred within the last week. The name you are looking for is Prestige. He is a 27/0/14 Balance Hybrid spec Shadow. The same spec I used in my original screenshots.

Now what were you saying about "non-competitiveness?"

Did you even read the patch notes?